• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT7| What are They to Say Now?

PooBone

So I'm watching the Game Informer video interview, and the interviewer specifically asks if sotaro tojima is the one doing composition for Halo 4's music, then he asks if any classic Halo themes will be used.... and after listening to them answer the question, I still have no idea if Sotaru Tojima is doing the music, and whether or not they'll use classic Halo themes.

God what's the point of an interview if you can't talk about anything. Anyone have any insight into either of these? Maybe I'm just not listening on the right frequency or somethin.

senador said:
I'm watching this 343 GI video and it has some stuff that sounds an awful lot like the article they had about in the latest GI magazine. While I don't doubt there will be a GI cover issue, maybe this stuff is just related to the recent article. Could the recent article also be primer for a future cover issue? Oh shit, going in circles and confusing myself.
Do you really think that GameInformer flew just for an interview from Minneapolis, MN to Seattle, WA? Seriously. Think about it. :)

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
PooBone said:
So I'm watching the Game Informer video interview, and the interviewer specifically asks if sotaro tojima is the one doing composition for Halo 4's music, then he asks if any classic Halo themes will be used.... and after listening to them answer the question, I still have no idea if Sotaru Tojima is doing the music, and whether or not they'll use classic Halo themes.

God what's the point of an interview if you can't talk about anything. Anyone have any insight into either of these? Maybe I'm just not listening on the right frequency or somethin.

it sounded to me that he is overseeing the music, but not necessarily the guy writing it. and the classic halo themes will return but new themes will also be developed for new stuff.

Hypertrooper said:
Do you really think that GameInformer flew just for an interview from Minneapolis, MN to Seattle, WA? Seriously. Think about it. :)

Yes. It's a monthly magazine. How else are they going to spend their time?

I'm just jelly. Daily news is the pits.

senador

Banned
Hypertrooper said:

Right, but why show stuff now then? Most of this interview is stuff that has been discussed so many times and like PooBone said, why interview if its still "Nope can't talk about that either, but here is some generic fluff". I'm not hating, I just find it curious. Not in a way that makes me thing about the game though, more in a "WTF" kind of way.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
senador said:
Right, but why show stuff now then? Most of this interview is stuff that has been discussed so many times and like PooBone said, why interview if its still "Nope can't talk about that either, but here is some generic fluff". I'm not hating, I just find it curious.

Promotion > No Promotion

Guess they want folks to keep Halo 4 on their minds, even though right now the buzz is all about CEA.

Can't wait for the winds to change direction though. There's a storm coming. I can feel it in my bones.

senador said:
Right, but why show stuff now then? Most of this interview is stuff that has been discussed so many times and like PooBone said, why interview if its still "Nope can't talk about that either, but here is some generic fluff". I'm not hating, I just find it curious. Not in a way that makes me thing about the game though, more in a "WTF" kind of way.
Did they show anything yet? There weren't any new information. :^) It's a tease.

Edit.: Slighty Live gave you the answer direct in your face.

Ramirez

Hypertrooper said:

I haven't watched the video, but that Tojima question was in the huge 343i story they did in this months magazine.

He is doing the music, and he did say certain themes would still be used, but I think largely it will be new compositions.

Thermite

Syracuse022 said:
I noticed that too. Not good.

I am digging the new graphics otherwise though... ¯\(°_o)/¯

Oh yeah, I agree; game is very pretty. It's just a bummer the framerate isn't a locked 30.

senador

Banned
Slightly Live said:
Promotion > No Promotion

Guess they want folks to keep Halo 4 on their minds, even though right now the buzz is all about CEA.

Can't wait for the winds to change direction though. There's a storm coming. I can feel it in my bones.

Same. These vague interviews are starting to wear thin for me personally. I think I'd rather they wait until we know more about the game before doing these. Or turn the interviews into studio tours and staff interviews so we can learn the team.

Hypertrooper said:
Did they show anything yet? There weren't any new information. :^) It's a tease.

Well, its a poor one. :p

What I was meaning is that if this trip to 343 really was for a cover story, why not just hold it til its time? Did they do this interview, then start a new recording and be like "OK here's the one for down the road, you don't have to be vague now"?

Again, not hating, I just find it weird.

Ramirez

How the mighty have fallen...

Xbox Live Activity:

Call of Duty: Black Ops
Modern Warfare 2
Gears of War 3
FIFA 12
Halo: Reach
Forza Motorsport 4
Batman: Arkham City
Madden NFL 12
GTA IV

Seriously, a yearly sports title ahead of a main line Halo game? Speaks volumes about this game...

TheOddOne

The interview kind of feels like something that would have been done after we saw something. Just to clarify or even a look back at how the process till now has been.

senador

Banned
Referring to Fifa? That doesn't shock me really. Tons of new releases thinning the Halo population anyway plus soccer is pretty popular worldwide. I know several people who play those but not Halo at all.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
TheOddOne said:
They said code from all the Halo's had been taken into account, like how the worthhog reacted in different games. The rest of it though is all internal developed.
...Nice.

Ramirez

senador said:
Referring to Fifa? That doesn't shock me really. Tons of new releases thinning the Halo population anyway plus soccer is pretty popular worldwide. I know several people who play those but not Halo at all.

Halo 3 never lost to a soccer game. :p

kylej

Banned
People get tired of playing maps made entirely out of grey geometric shapes that run at 12fps? Why, they should just go look at the skyboxes! Enjoy the international interaction of matchmaking!

343 needs to remind people that One of the Greatest FPS Games of All Time is just sitting here, waiting to be played. Maybe 343's fingers are too tired to point & click their mouse, I dunno.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
Ramirez said:
Halo 3 never lost to a soccer game. :p

There's a bigger European, football (the right kind) mad install base now than when Halo 3 was a year old.

Millions of folks flock to the latest game despite the quality. FIFA is the Madden of Europe and then some.

Better overall competition can explain many of these numbers and differences but not all.

Slightly Live said:
There's a bigger European, football (the right kind) mad install base now than when Halo 3 was a year old.

Millions of folks flock to the latest game despite the quality. FIFA is the Madden of Europe and then some.

Better overall competition can explain much of these numbers nut not all though.
Fifa 2008 outsold Halo 3 here in Germany. lol.

Donat

Neo Member
wwm0nkey said:
Well because I am so nice (and conveniently have a $20 amazon gift card) I think I will give away a copy of Glasslands to whoever can draw the best Halo CE Master Chief by using PAINT by page 21

Oh god, I hate paint. Maybe if no one else posts one... :D

iwUtoOmknOzK7.png

I hope I'm not too late.
100ppp

Ramirez

Slightly Live said:
There's a bigger European, football (the wrong kind) mad install base now than when Halo 3 was a year old.

Better overall competition can explain many of these numbers and differences but not all.

Fixed.

FyreWulff

The Live chart is just a position chart, and gives no indication of the actual unique-to-that-game-only players each one has.

All a game needs for a 'vote' for each chart is the game to be loaded up while connected to Live. Even if you go to the title screen and dashboard out instead of pressing start, it'll count you as a UU for that game for the statistic period.

Microsoft will never release the actual numbers of course, because it won't show the drop from 1 to number 10, let alone 1 to 20.

1. Call of Duty: Black Ops
2. Modern Warfare 2
3. Gears of War 3
4. FIFA 12
5. Halo: Reach (370,000 24hr UU)
6. Forza Motorsport 4
7. Batman: Arkham City
8. Madden NFL 12
9. GTA IV
10. Battlefield: Bad Co. 2
11. NBA 2K12
12. Call of Duty 4
13. FIFA Soccer 11
14. NHL12
15. Dead Island
16. Halo 3 (77,000 24hr UU)
17. NEED FOR SPEED THE RUN Demo
18. NCAA Football 12
19. Call of Duty: WaW

It can be inferred that every game below Reach is not averaging more people per day than it, and the same for the ones under Halo 3. there's also the fact that the competition landscape has changed. People got spoiled with Halo 2's run, when Halo 2 was sold on a console that topped out at 15 million hardware sales and was the only game on Live with an usable interface.

glasslands. so good.

glassland spoilers
that ending. could it have been more abrupt? /seinfeld
frankie, can we get an advance copy of the first few chapters of the next book already? or at least an outline? you're killing us.

i think it is also pretty safe to say that we haven't seen the last of the covenant in halo 4-6. everything is set-up for a huge intersection of threads. it also seems like there are a ton of opportunities for game stories (and types) to take place outside of the spartans going forward. i hope we see something like that someday

Dani, I really am loving this podcast. Really loving the conversations. Voices are clear, tones are interesting and the discussions are really well laid out with some really sweet interpretations and opinions. I haven't even read any of the books really but it is very very interesting to listen to. Plugged my Turtle Beach headset in for that Halo: Reach lobby discussion feel :lol

Quicktime isn't telling me how long it is but I'm about a third of the way through, but loving it so far!

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
Hydranockz said:
Dani, I really am loving this podcast. Really loving the conversations. Voices are clear, tones are interesting and the discussions are really well laid out with some really sweet interpretations and opinions. I haven't even read any of the books really but it is very very interesting to listen to. Plugged my Turtle Beach headset in for that Halo: Reach lobby discussion feel :lol

Quicktime isn't telling me how long it is but I'm about a third of the way through, but loving it so far!

Thank you for the positive feedback! Hope the audio issues in the second part don't plaque you too much. There was an audio fault we only caught after the recording and shouldn't be repeated in future.

StalkerUKCG, check your PM's
I dont even know what this pm stuff is about

I hope Halo 4 has a extravagant legendary edition, Shut up and take my money.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
Tha Robbertster said:
Dani, is it intentionally that the podcast stops playing when you alter the volume?

Ah, what? It's just a regular MP3 file, check your music player. The second part has a volume difference between the speaker that we've tried to equalise but nothing that would make the file stop playing.

Slightly Live said:
Ah, what? It's just a regular MP3 file, check your music player. The second part has a volume difference between the speaker that we've tried to equalise but nothing that would make the file stop playing.

Should have said that I'm listening from the site, sorry.

When I put the volume up/down, it puts the stream on pause. No big deal but a bit annoying when you have to find a sweet spot for the volume.

Tha Robbertster said:
Should have said that I'm listening from the site, sorry.

When I put the volume up/down, it puts the stream on pause. No big deal but a bit annoying when you have to find a sweet spot for the volume.
I didn't have that problem listening to it on my iphone, and I had to adjust the volume a lot during the second half of the podcast. weird.

daedalius

Just got home with Glasslands, time for some hardcore reading!

Pretty sure that's the first time I've typed that, but you guys and all the black ink... hard to wait.

squidhands said:
I didn't have that problem listening to it on my iphone, and I had to adjust the volume a lot during the second half of the podcast. weird.

You were also listening from the site? I didn't download it, just to make that clear.

And Dani, you guys did a great job on the podcast, really enjoyed it!

Nitpick:

Fred says at one point, "Hey, Lucy, who's your new boyfriend?" That strikes me as something Fred wouldn't say.

Edit: Another nitpick:
No mention of that mini AI Halsey took with her to Onyx. Or did he get destroyed and I just don't remember?

feel

Planning to listen to that FUD podcast while I do some laps on Forza with my Speedwheel later when I get home. Should be nice.

Dammit, I was gonna listen to the podcast tonight, and then the new Skyrim footage got so excited I forgot. :lol

Oh well, tomorrow!

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Louis Wu said:
Okay, so sometimes you get teamed up with the guys that thee henery likes to play with... and sometimes... they're on the other team.

(I'm actually embarrassed they got 10 kills. I was sloppy.)
I love those epic 4v1 (or 5v1!) matches against a team of scrubs. Makes me feel so bad ass, haha.

Oozer3993

Just picked up Glasslands from Barnes and Noble. And then immediately found out the Kindle version is $6 cheaper. Curses. To the return desk!

D

Deleted member 21120

Unconfirmed Member
Louis Wu said:
Okay, so sometimes you get teamed up with the guys that thee henery likes to play with... and sometimes... they're on the other team.

(I'm actually embarrassed they got 10 kills. I was sloppy.)
+18, Wu? Where is your Halo honor?

heckfu

Banned
Finally finished my case presentations for school/work...on to Glasslands. Hope it lives up to the hype you guys keep making the case for.

Top Bottom