• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT7| What are They to Say Now?

Louis Wu

daedalius said:
Isn't there a page on Waypoint with ALL of the data-drops?

I'm pretty sure I missed a lot of early ones, would like to check them out.
Check the OP for this thread. All 6 are linked.

That Halo: CEA campaign video makes me wonder why Bungie changed the Banshee in Halo 2 and on. It felt amazing to fly in Halo 1, particularly because of how fluid it felt. It must be because of the change in game engines. None of the vehicles ever recaptured the feeling they had in Halo 1, the Ghost being another major example.

Letters said:
Yeah, I really should stop caring so much about the new graphics layer, it's a completely mixed bag of amazing, retcon and horrible, the real visuals will be a button press away. Too bad the real sound (and multiplayer) is not.
This has started to have an unfortunate level of truthfulness for me....

Been a slow ride of up and downs since I saw the redesigned ring. A lot of downs in the last week.. I'm still excited, but less so.

-------
Nothing really new in the Game Informer clip, but was nice all the same. Still unclear as how similar/different things will be, but we'll see. Can't wait!

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
Summary Man said:
That Halo: CEA campaign video makes me wonder why Bungie changed the Banshee in Halo 2 and on. It felt amazing to fly in Halo 1, particularly because of how fluid it felt. It must be because of the change in game engines. None of the vehicles ever recaptured the feeling they had in Halo 1, the Ghost being another major example.

i REALLY hope, of all the changes that 343 will inevitably be working on for halo 4, that we see a major revamp of the vehicles. they all handle like shit now.

wwm0nkey

op_ivy said:
i REALLY hope, of all the changes that 343 will inevitably be working on for halo 4, that we see a major revamp of the vehicles. they all handle like shit now.
Halo 1/2 system would be very nice for vehicles but I do agree the only vehicle I really liked in Halo 3 was the chopper and I can't say I like to drive any vehicle in Halo Reach.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
op_ivy said:

Not all. The Ghost is pretty good. And, ah... yeah, the Ghost.

Letters said:
He left the mvp program years ago in protest of something I don't quite remember. (ODST announcement delay?)

Yeah, I really should stop caring so much about the new graphics layer, it's a completely mixed bag of amazing, retcon and horrible, the real visuals will be a button press away. Too bad the real sound (and multiplayer) is not.
I was under the impression that you could choose the original soundtrack in the options menu...? I remember hearing that you can't switch in-game, but you can set an auditory preference before the game begins. Am I wrong?

But yeah, no Halo 1 multiplayer makes me a sad panda.

Also, Dani, your podcast listing says the Glasslands competition ends October 1st - just thought I'd let you know so you could preempt any confusion.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Syracuse022 said:
I was under the impression that you could choose the original soundtrack in the options menu...? I remember hearing that you can't switch in-game, but you can set an auditory preference before the game begins. Am I wrong?

But yeah, no Halo 1 multiplayer makes me a sad panda.

Also, Dani, your podcast listing says the Glasslands competition ends October 1st - just thought I'd let you know so you could preempt any confusion.

Yes, you choose which version of he soundtrack you want in the options menu. Not enough ram left to swap on the fly.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Lyphen said:
Ugh, those Anniversary videos.

Filed a complaint with the BBB. Hopefully I can get my hacked account case expedited. 5 weeks is a stupid amount of time for an account investigation.

Check your PMs.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
God this podcast has such high level Halo lore talk. I'm so lost :lol

:(

Dax, check your PMs

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
Syracuse022 said:

Yeah, it was noticed a few minutes after it went up and got fixed. =)

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics
The GI 'documentary' video for Halo 4 was pretty cool. What I'm more excited about is the fact that it means GI is there to cover Halo 4 for the inevitable 10 page magazine spread + Halo 4 GI Hub.

Can't wait. :)

daedalius

I'll have to agree with Ghaleon and Dani about the ZB DMR feeling a little funky in the sandbox.

I imagine they are going to go with 85% across the board for Reach, and then the DMR probably won't even appear in the Anniversary playlist with the Magnum-deathmachine. If they managed to get a RoF cap onto it like they've said, coupled with a 2x zoom, I'd think it would work out better than ZB DMRs finding their way into BTB (which is also my favorite mode, Ghal... maps are terrible right now though)

ElRenoRaven

God I'm a big baby. Glasslands spoilers of course.

So I've gotten to where they told Halsey about John, Cortana, and Miranda and damn. I don't know why but that moment got me. I won't lie about that. I actually got a bit misty eyed.

Tashi0106 said:
Dax, check your PMs
I KNEW IT!

Btw. Hypertrooper check your PMs.
Okey dokey. Wow, that's awesome
I know.
You should share it with the others. Check your PMs. Again.
Crap man! That's disgusting!
What? Why?
Dude, stop it. Just stop it!

Domino Theory said:
The GI 'documentary' video for Halo 4 was pretty cool. What I'm more excited about is the fact that it means GI is there to cover Halo 4 for the inevitable 10 page magazine spread + Halo 4 GI Hub.

I thought that, too. I hope it is true.

op_ivy

Domino Theory said:

what is this documentary you speak of?

feel

I'm with Kuro on this one, I wouldn't mind if they kicked things off with MP this time to see if Halo will still worth staying around for, or if it's gonna be a series Reach-like mp turds to please the braidead and I should stop caring and reading about them and just get them when thet come out as a very casual fan for the continuation chief/cortana's campaign story.
Syracuse022 said:
I was under the impression that you could choose the original soundtrack in the options menu...? I remember hearing that you can't switch in-game, but you can set an auditory preference before the game begins.
I meant the game sounds like from the weapons or explosions. Not a huge fan of how different and unfamiliar they sound now. Would like an option to play with the original ones, even with inferior sound quality. The new soundtrack (other than the disapointing monks) seems very faithful, so I wouldn't mind it actually.

senador

Banned
Domino Theory said:

The whole reason I subscribed to GI was the Reach blowout. I believe that was the January issue so maybe we'll be getting some Halo 4 soon?

daedalius

Louis Wu said:
Check the OP for this thread. All 6 are linked.

So, even though we're at 6/6 for the Data Drops, any idea if there will be more?

I assume we're not spoilering the Data Drops, but I guess Red Flag was an epic fail ending with Keyes escaping at the end of Reach and the trilogy starting at the Halo ring?

What the hell happened to all of the other Spartans recalled for Red Flag? Also, I guess from what I read that everyone that actually took part in Reach, the game, were in the dark about an entire Covenant invasion on the other side of the planet?

I did like how they were counting on that super-cruiser for Red Flag, then Noble team went and slagged it, heh. Whoops!

wwm0nkey

Well because I am so nice (and conveniently have a $20 amazon gift card) I think I will give away a copy of Glasslands to whoever can draw the best Halo CE Master Chief by using PAINT by page 21

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics
senador said:
The whole reason I subscribed to GI was the Reach blowout. I believe that was the January issue so maybe we'll be getting some Halo 4 soon?

Yep, GI isn't going to fly to Washington to record a 30 minute discussion then walk away. They're there to cover the first press coverage for Halo 4 when the marketing campaign begins for that game. GI is the 7th largest subscribed-to magazine OVERALL (which is huge) so you can bet they'll be doing tons of coverage beyond their magazine spread (dedicated hub on their site, podcasts, etc.).

@opi_ivy: http://www.gameinformer.com/b/features/archive/2011/10/26/343-industries-talks-halo-4.aspx

Marcus Fenix: "Let's do this."

TheOddOne

wwm0nkey said:
Remember, Halo 4 is built only using Halo: Reach forge world :p
tumblr_lotfjynn8a1qafrh6.gif

senador

Banned
Domino Theory said:
Yep, GI isn't going to fly to Washington to record a 30 minute discussion then walk away. They're there to cover the first press coverage for Halo 4 when the marketing campaign begins for that game. GI is the 7th largest subscribed-to magazine OVERALL (which is huge) so you can bet they'll be doing tons of coverage beyond their magazine spread (dedicated hub on their site, podcasts, etc.).

@opi_ivy: http://www.gameinformer.com/b/features/archive/2011/10/26/343-industries-talks-halo-4.aspx

Excite! I love my GI.

Tashi

Domino Theory said:

You're right. So we're getting this info very soon. AKA after Anniversary is released. They're right on schedule.

Tashi0106 said:
You're right. So we're getting this info very soon. AKA after Anniversary is released. They're right on schedule.
Remember, GI plans their cover issues months in advance.

I'm hoping for another January-February blowout, but it might be a little bit after that.

(On the flip side, GI might have the main course cooked, and it's just getting the second helpings ready.)

wwm0nkey

Tashi0106 said:
1 month after Anniversary would be a great time to show off some Halo 4 stuff...if only there was some huge gaming event somewhere around that time...hmmmmmm

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics
Hitmonchan107 said:
Remember, GI plans their cover issues months in advance.

I'm hoping for another January-February blowout, but it might be a little bit after that.

Halo 3 and ODST had theirs in November, Reach had it in January.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
Major Glasslands spoilers - What will the Halo 4 universe look like?

Heavy, heavy spoilers ahead for Glasslands, so get your ass out of here if you're not up for it. =)
Just want to frame a few important developments from Glasslands that gives us a better idea of the new Halo universe.

UNSC Infinity
The Infinity represents Humanity's new found technological leap thanks to years of researching and developing Forerunner technology. As we seen in Halo: Reach, the UNSC/ONI have been studying Forerunner tech for quite some time, and with the addition of the Slipspace jump technology from the Forerunner fleet in Glasslands being added to it, it's safe to assume that the Infinity now the most badass thing that isn't a Spartan.

- Pinpoint-accurate Slipspace jumping capability
- Energy Shielding (a common Covenant tech reverse engineered from the Forerunners - it think it's likely that the Infinity will have some form of energy shielding)
-Energy Weapons? Plasma Weapons? It's also safe to assume that the weapons technology got a a kick in the pants and we have examples of Forerunner energy technology and Covenant Plasma technology to make some guesses here.
- Engineers on board? The ONI now has access to at least four dedicated Engineers and there have been strong hints about "breeding them" to produce more. I think it would be logical to have some Engineers on board the Infinity considering all the Forerunner enhancements.
-Spartans Fours. It's been confirmed that we have next-generations Spartans walking around on board.

Spartan Fours
The Spartan program continues in a new direction, similar to the original Orion program. Instead of abducting children or using orphans Admiral Parangosky changed the criteria for the program to enlist willing, adults only. This shows how the development of bio-engineering technology has evolved within the Spartan program considering the baseline criteria has shifted.

- Spartan Project made public. Parangosky testified in public about her role in allowing the Spartan II Project to do what it did - kidnap children and replace them with short-lived flash clones. It seems all the dirty laundry was aired in the wake of the Voi memorial and the official confirmation of Dr Halsey's "death".

MJOLNIR Mark Seven
Not much is known about the specific updates to the MJOLNIR frame outside of it being lighter and having a newer manufacturer. We do not know how updated and what kind of new enhancements it may have. The visor is still a reflective gold colour though. =)

- Nano-machines. NM aren't anything new but application of them has been brought up - allowing MJOLNIR to be repaired during cryo-storage.

There's a ton more, so I'll just make a list.

-Venezia and the other "lost" colonies - seems like the UNSC is more fragmented now than during the Insurrection period
-Venezia black market - Probally set up the next part of the book trilogy
-UNSC IVANOFF Research Station orbiting Installation 03 - another Halo? And Halsey is working there on something?
-Explosion at Ontom, Sanhelios - possibly not caused by the two Elite factions
-Tevelyan - holy shit it makes the Death Star feel small. It's the same size aprox. as -Earth's orbit around Sol - fecking, fecking huge. We got an ONI installation inside with our captured Elite buddy Jul.
-Telcam and his mighty monks versus the Arbiter - Great Schism part two =P
-The collapse of the Sangeili economic and military infrastructure - got to learn how to farm!
-The disappearance of the Engineers and the former Prophets - I wonder if the disappearances are link. What could the frail, yet sexually virulent, ex-Prophets be doing?
-Brutes- society doing worse than the Elites?
-What about the Grunts and Hunters? - The Jackals seem to be coping.
-ONI attempting to keep the Elite fighting each other

I know I'm probably missing a ton, but it's pretty sweet how much development we got to see here.

Louis Wu

daedalius said:
So, even though we're at 6/6 for the Data Drops, any idea if there will be more?

I assume we're not spoilering the Data Drops, but I guess Red Flag was an epic fail ending with Keyes escaping at the end of Reach and the trilogy starting at the Halo ring?

What the hell happened to all of the other Spartans recalled for Red Flag? Also, I guess from what I read that everyone that actually took part in Reach, the game, were in the dark about an entire Covenant invasion on the other side of the planet?

I did like how they were counting on that super-cruiser for Red Flag, then Noble team went and slagged it, heh. Whoops!
Dunno the answer to your first question. The Data Drops seem to be an attempt to tie together canon that at the moment might be a little... unconnected. :) And yes... it seems that residents of Reach are pretty frickin' clueless. :)

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
I just assumed Glasslands wouldn't be on Kobo, nor available at a reasonable price in Canada (two decades of overpriced books!). Looks like I was wrong. Okay guys, I'll buy it so I can finally read the black blocks.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
Tashi0106 said:
Glasslands shit:

Dani:
Human plasma weapons in Halo 4?
Strokes beard

I'd say that would be possible. During the Halofest panel though they said that Halo 4's weapon set will be familar and there won't be any wild jumps. You can interpret it all in any way but I wouldn't rule it out.

ElRenoRaven

Slightly Live said:
I'd say that would be possible. During the Halofest panel though they said that Halo 4's weapon set will be familar and there won't be any wild jumps. You can interpret it all in any way but I wouldn't rule it out.

It would be sexy indeed to see a
plasma firing Assault Rifle
. lol

Woorloog

Banned
Tashi0106 said:
Glasslands shit:

Dani:
Human plasma weapons in Halo 4?
Strokes beard
Well, wasn't it implied that no "purple" (ie Covenant) in Halo 3? And we still need stuff to fill certain roles in the sandbox...

PsychoRaven said:
It would be sexy indeed to see a plasma firing Assault Rifle. lol
There was a Halo Custom Edition mod that had plasma AR. It was cool.

feel

Thanks for the writeup Dani.

(related to Glasslands)
That UNSC Infinity seems really badass. I hope we get to check it out eventually in some way.

Tashi

Ok cool. I'm cautiously optimistic about that. I tend to like human weapons for sure.

Letters,
Skies of Arcadia
So good.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Letters said:
Thanks for the writeup Dani.

(related to Glasslands)
That UNSC Infinity seems really badass. I hope we get to check it out eventually in some way.
It'll be there after the first mission of Halo 4.
Unbelieve

op_ivy

cant wait to see 343's modified reach tech :O

also, loved that kiki mentioned how the warthog's handling changed over the series and that they would pick out the "sweet spot" for halo 4

senador

Banned
I'm watching this 343 GI video and it has some stuff that sounds an awful lot like the article they had about in the latest GI magazine. While I don't doubt there will be a GI cover issue, maybe this stuff is just related to the recent article. Could the recent article also be primer for a future cover issue? Oh shit, going in circles and confusing myself.

Top Bottom