• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT7| What are They to Say Now?

The last thing I need is K:D being incentivized within the game so that more people can ignore the objective to pad up their meaningless number.

Gotta love those "K/D >>> all" guys camping and taking potshots the entire match in King of the Hill and end up with single-digit numbers for hill points scored, THEN yell at us when we lose.

Hey You

Why would you quit out against higher ranks in Reach? It means nothing. They could be FireFight fanatics. Lol
Most randoms on my team I have been coming across lately are much easier than the covenant on easy to fight.

Or living dead pros.
Hey, some of us can do decently in other playlists.

because it's scary to lose to strangers on the internet and your Reach record is the most important thing in the WORLD
This guy totally gets it.

KDR is only going to push people into party chat to avoid the conflicts that plainly visible KDR creates.

I have a horrid KDR but id say im a pretty decent player, alot of the time im playing casually or just dicking around wasting time with mates and chatting i have a very low drive to get a good KDR in any game it means nothing to me. If anything im more about the win or loss and even then i dont care too much.

I get messages on a pretty regular basis about my KDR and its a hassle im not phased but still after 10+ anyone is going to get annoyed.

Its nothing but trollbait, i can see the appeal for some and maybe a visibility toggle on and off option would be great but even still reach currently has lots of KDR boosters i can only see that increasing if its visible before every game.

Fine objectives win percentage in those gametypes. There you go, problem solved.
In ranked, fine. In social, I'd rather keep it as a more carefree forget about it in 10 minutes kind of deal. I wanna veg out in social, not get bitched out in the lobby for the numbers on my profile.

Include assists in there (K+A/D) for support players. And make a different formula for objective playlists. While we're at it, I'd like a million dollars and a pony.

Also, I will be testing your hypothesis on drunk bloom pacing at some point tonight. I imagine it will go less than well in this trial.

If you have to include a number everywhere that people think makes you good or not, include K+A/D instead of K/D. Much better.

cant wait for the BCS title game. wait, this is a halo thread...my b.

BCS bowls are fun to watch because they are these great teams from different conferences that face off, often times with wildly different playstyles. A same conference championship game is just plain boring.

In ranked, fine. In social, I'd rather keep it as a more carefree forget about it in 10 minutes kind of deal. I wanna veg out in social, not get bitched out in the lobby for the numbers on my profile.

It's going to suck no matter what because the community at large cares far too much about arbitrary shit than fun. I really despise gaming these days..

heckfu

Banned
BCS bowls are fun to watch because they are these great teams from different conferences that face off, often times with wildly different playstyles. A same conference championship game is just plain boring.

But they're the best two teams...so that should decide the outright champion.

I was just thinking if Halo 4-6 are the Reclaimer Trilogy, then what would we call Halo 1-3 if we were to group it into a trilogy?

Also, SEC ball is real football.

daedalius

Include assists in there (K+A/D) for support players. And make a different formula for objective playlists. While we're at it, I'd like a million dollars and a pony.

Also, I will be testing your hypothesis on drunk bloom pacing at some point tonight. I imagine it will go less than well in this trial.

This sounds entertaining. Count me in.

But they're the best two teams...so that should decide the outright champion.

Well outright champion would be decided by a playoff, but yeah they probably are the two best teams.

Still be a much more interesting game to see Oklahoma State or Stanford play LSU.

KDR is only going to push people into party chat to avoid the conflicts that plainly visible KDR creates.

I have a horrid KDR but id say im a pretty decent player, alot of the time im playing casually or just dicking around wasting time with mates and chatting i have a very low drive to get a good KDR in any game it means nothing to me. If anything im more about the win or loss and even then i dont care too much.

I get messages on a pretty regular basis about my KDR and its a hassle im not phased but still after 10+ anyone is going to get annoyed.

Its nothing but trollbait, i can see the appeal for some and maybe a visibility toggle on and off option would be great but even still reach currently has lots of KDR boosters i can only see that increasing if its visible before every game.

Everything is fucking trollbait. Do you think inheritors get nice messages?

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Show me win/loss record in addition to a level and that's how I'll get a good idea of how good the player is. K/D doesn't mean much to me.

Everything is fucking trollbait. Do you think inheritors get nice messages?

No i know they dont but its going to make it worse, like it said id be fine with it if i could hide mine. Lets the big kids brag with theirs i dont care but let me disable mine so i dont get flooded with messages from neckbeard man children.

Ramirez

It would be awesome if they pulled an Epic and didn't have a quit function in the game. Make you dashboard out AND dock massive credits/rank or w/e they'll use.

No i know they dont but its going to make it worse, like it said id be fine with it if i could hide mine. Lets the big kids brag with theirs i dont care but let me disable mine so i dont get flooded with messages from neckbeard man children.

If you're really that worried about what some stranger on the internet thinks of you, you can set your profile to only receive messages from people you know.

It would be awesome if they pulled an Epic and didn't have a quit function in the game. Make you dashboard out AND dock massive credits/rank or w/e they'll use.

Make a better matchmaking process. Boost incentives to group up. Make a mercenaries playlist. Create a more intuitive voting and round system. All those first. Then maybe get rid of quit.

FyreWulff

Also, remove K/D entirely from the PGCR in objective gametypes.

Please.

For the love of god.

Yeah I don't understand why that wasn't in Reach. If you are going to have a player investment system built around playing the game a lot to get xp/cr, etc, why in the world wouldn't you dock points for quitting. Seems like such a common sense move.

Probably because of quit boosters in Halo 3.

Yeah I don't understand why that wasn't in Reach. If you are going to have a player investment system built around playing the game a lot to get xp/cr, etc, why in the world wouldn't you dock points for quitting. Seems like such a common sense move.

Make a better matchmaking process. Boost incentives to group up. Make a mercenaries playlist. Create a more intuitive voting and round system. All those first. Then maybe get rid of quit.

I don't see any reason for mercenaries playlist, just put the correct party matchups back into MM (A couple playlists in Reach already do this).

Ramirez

We make groups of people quit out just as easy as randoms, I really don't think that will make a difference.

Also, remove K/D entirely from the PGCR in objective gametypes.

Please.

For the love of god.

Don't understand the hate for K/D in Objective, only 1 person can grab an objective, the other 3 have to slay to get him out.

If you're really that worried about what some stranger on the internet thinks of you, you can set your profile to only receive messages from people you know.

Or you know, we could avoid having to do that by not having KDR on the MM menus. Its fine where it is, people dont need to know anothers KDR it only creates arguments if someone really wants to know for whatever reason its on 2 websites currently.

Again, let me hide mine and id be fine. Its not more unresonable to ask for than a constantly visible KDR is.

Boost incentives to grow up.

This is what I read, and it's a good idea.

Don't understand the hate for K/D in Objective

AndHereWeGo.gif

Havok

Don't understand the hate for K/D in Objective, only 1 person can grab an objective, the other 3 have to slay to get him out.
A lot of teams have a dedicated objective guy who goes in most often. He/She's not recognized by any sort of statistic right now and kind of gets the shaft.

Also, showing K/D in Objective theoretically just makes people slay to pad their stats. It's not usually a problem.

I like how Epic does their XP docking stuff. You don't lose your accumulated XP, but you instead have an XP debt that needs to be paid off before you can advance.

Ramirez

Or you know, we could avoid having to do that by not having KDR on the MM menus. Its fine where it is, people dont need to know anothers KDR it only creates arguments if someone really wants to know for whatever reason its on 2 websites currently.

Again, let me hide mine and id be fine. Its not more unresonable to ask for than a constantly visible KDR is.

Obviously it hurts your feelings or something when a guy messages a little trash talk to you, so you can end it without taking away a feature probably over half of the population enjoys.

That's no fun. Random messages are the best.

Oh, I agree. I've dragged on conversations for hours with people who try to trash me, lol.

Better matchmaking. Just the other day while playing with juices, they gave us like a group of captains and lesser ranks.

Better matchmaking isn't going to happen unless the population increases drastically OR you want to wait longer for matches. One isn't likely to happen, and the other isn't really a good option for people who have less time to play. *shrug*

A lot of people have a dedicated objective guy who goes in most often. He's not recognized by any sort of statistic right now.

Also, showing K/D in Objective theoretically just makes people slay to pad their stats. It's not usually a problem.

I'm totally for the objective guy being recognized more than he is, and I still believe people would stay and poop on kids regardless if their K/D showed up or not. You can only handle so many 1 minute objective games before you just want to kill some people and prolong the match. :p

Better matchmaking isn't going to happen unless the population increases drastically OR you want to wait longer for matches. One isn't likely to happen, and the other isn't really a good option for people who have less time to play. *shrug*

What do you prefer, a quick wait only to play a game full of people who quit, and then it's just boring anyway? Or a little bit longer to ensure a game in which you actually play the opposing team?

Havok

I'm totally for the objective guy being recognized more than he is, and I still believe people would stay and poop on kids regardless if their K/D showed up or not. You can only handle so many 1 minute objective games before you just want to kill some people and prolong the match. :p
Yeah, I agree. The game punishes players who absolutely destroy the enemy team, and that's a big problem.

I'm curious to see how well 343's tightening of the skill restriction has done. I haven't noticed players getting any better, that's for sure. I'd be willing to wait a minute to get people that aren't total garbage at the game into a match. We've had a bunch of matches full of sergeants and corporals lately, which is crazy to me.

Ramirez

What do you prefer, a quick wait only to play a game full of people who quit, and then it's just boring anyway? Or a little bit longer to ensure a game in which you actually play the opposing team?

How do we know these people even exist in certain playlists?

996 games of Team Objective and I've won 903 of them, the population has always been pathetic. I don't think any extended wait time in that playlist and most other vanilla Reach playlists would yield competent opponents.

The only playlist where I have a staggering amount of losses compared to wins is MLG. (even Arena is 217 out of 321)

I simply don't think these people exist outside of MLG. I think it also extends to the fact that as much as I dislike Reach, to the average Joe it is a much harder game than past Halo's, and the people who were really good at past Halo's just trounce the lesser players even worse in this one. Making it extremely hard to find a game that actually challenges you on any kind of consistent basis.

Kuroyume

Banned
Gotta love those "K/D >>> all" guys camping and taking potshots the entire match in King of the Hill and end up with single-digit numbers for hill points scored, THEN yell at us when we lose.

I can't fault people for doing that, especially with the Reach version of that gametype. Slow movement and nuclear grenade spam... Not a good combo. I definitely don't like it in Reach. It was okay in 3. Enjoyed it alot in H2. So...

A quick wait. Nothing I dislike in Halo than waiting for a game to begin. Even worse is when you're hit with a black screen as soon as the game begins to load. I'm not sure how they can make the game better in terms of competition but I sure as hell don't want to look at a matchmaking screen for several minutes everytime i want to play a game.

Obviously it hurts your feelings or something when a guy messages a little trash talk to you, so you can end it without taking away a feature probably over half of the population enjoys.

Obviously you have no idea how i feel when some kid sends me trashtalk, im not talking about removing a feature at all im talking about not having KDR pushed into the menu's like suggested. Its going to create more arguments than what currently exist, it serves as another way for bad kids to show off their epeen and for the less skilled players to feel worse. Is that really an enviroment you want to create, low ranks already get enough shit and you want that to increase.

KDR is fine the way it is, people who care can check it and people who dont dont have to feel constantly pressured because they have a negative KDR, all you have to do is look at the bungie forums. At one point people would just post a thread creators KDR to undermine their opinion it.

A accurate ranking system serves the purpose of displaying a players skill well enough without the need for a KDR, even a Win/Loss option would be better, but again all these things inadvertently act as fuel for idiots to attack the less skilled and the more damage control in relation to them the better.

Halo 4 needs a accurate ranking system more than anything else.

Ramirez

I just can't figure out why you're so hung up on what other people do. Newsflash, regardless of what happens to the K/D, people will find something to grief people over.

The first way to make the game more competitive is to make it more accessible to everyone. Copy the 1-3 method of easy to pick up, hard to master. Reach is hard to pick up for the average person, and mastering it still eludes most people who would consider themselves above average, lol.

I just can't figure out why you're so hung up on what other people do. Newsflash, regardless of what happens to the K/D, people will find something to grief people over.

Like i said, im not really bothered either way, id just like the option to hide mine. I know people will always grief i just think the more we can do to prevent that the better, Online gaming is already a scary place for some people i know, the best thing you can do to increase player base is limit that.

kylej

Banned
On the list of shit that needs fixing with Halo, having a toggle to make your k/d private is about as pressing as having a toggle in the lobby that makes your 360 electrocute your balls off.

Ramirez

Like i said, im not really bothered either way, id just like the option to hide mine. I know people will always grief i just think the more we can do to prevent that the better, Online gaming is already a scary place for some people i know, the best thing you can do to increase player base is limit that.

If you want to hide it, then you are bothered!

Online is a scary place? WHY?! Complete strangers in a virtual world, what is there to be afraid of?

If you want to hide it, then you are bothered!

Online is a scary place? WHY?! Complete strangers in a virtual world, what is there to be afraid of?

No, if mine was forced to be displayed it wouldnt be a deal breaker and for the most part i wouldnt care, however allowing me to hide it would allow me to avoid grief and when im playing halo with my mates and chilling out thats all i want, and i dont want to have to disable message from randoms, I enjoy them, i stay calm and friendly and they get furious.

Are you honestly telling me you cant see the appeal in avoiding an argument for the sake of a relaxing online veg out? Maybe your wired into that whole 100% super competitive all the time mindset, however many others are not, both are fine but this only caters to the hardcore and not the casual and both are a valid player base.

Id say the hardcore got screwed over with reach, moving from h2 to h3 and then reach iv found that my hardcore mindset has become much more relaxed, taking away ranks was a big factor in that and its something that 343i need really consider because the hardcore players are a large segement of the player base currently without any real "home" within the reach playlists.

Online is scary for some players its a fact alot of people dont like to be judged in anyway, Online is also pretty unforgiving its a warzone for the most part and new or less skilled players alongside getting bodied also have to listen to some MLG tryhard degrade them not a fun experience at all, and sure you can use the "mute them, disable messages" arguement but thats only solving half the problem they are still going to get trashed.

All that however is a different coversation entirely.

The BCS is a joke.

Also Gabo, you don't suddenly have FIFA achievements on your profile now, do you?

Just checked it, I don't think so. Should I be worried?

I'm still getting the damn message, such a shitty joke. How can I have my Live membership suspended with no explanation? I didn't paid 60€ for this.

On the list of shit that needs fixing with Halo, having a toggle to make your k/d private is about as pressing as having a toggle in the lobby that makes your 360 electrocute your balls off.

Ok, let's say that some portion of the population would want that sort of toggle...is the xbox 360 even capable of that kind of, I don't know, wattage? Voltage? Which one zaps you but doesn't stop your heart? And is that sort of technology something that would be researchable while in a place like, say, Hawaii?

Ramirez

Dude, it has nothing to do with being competitive. If a guy wants to send me a degrading message, I read it, and laugh. Sometimes, I troll back, and other times I just delete the message and go about my day. So no, I don't see the appeal when there are already so many options at your disposal to fix such an issue.

Even if you hide your K/D, and you crap the bed in a match, they're still going to message you, so it doesn't even solve your hypothetical situation, heh.

Top Bottom