• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT7| What are They to Say Now?

You think they need motivation? You think online codes are relevant to whether they make more multiplayer content or not?

My guess is that if 343 saw that after 12+ months from release people were buying used copies plus codes in order to play online they might be more likely to invest in more MP content or at least keep a steady release schedule for MP content with future Halo games.

The ncsuDuncan plan sucks for people that bought used Halo games in the past but for people who are going to be buying on day one then it's at least a push.

You think they need motivation? You think online codes are relevant to whether they make more multiplayer content or not?

No, but something is to be said for online codes from a buisness stand point, preowned sales become a relevant income source which in turn puts more money in to the franchise and that in a ideal could mean more content, it could even pay for dedis

Are you a stock holder or a consumer?

A consumer but i can see both sides of the situation, Im not against paying a fair amount for anything. Its a large debate which im not really going to get into but if i buy a game preowned im rewarding only the middle man (gamestop ect) and as someone who likes games and gaming i feel like we should be rewarding the devs and pubs rather than a money hungry store.

heckfu

Banned
I hope you're joking.

Absolutely not joking. I'm from Alabama (but a Tennessee fan) and LSU and Alabama are the top two teams. No other conference can compete with the best of the best from the SEC.

I think Ram said it earlier (maybe?) but I'm with him in regards that a March Madness system would be best.

I actually don't mind online codes, there are probably better things to get angry about. But actually wanting 343 to use them? It's a bit silly.

If it were up to me every Halo game would be free forever and it would come with a lifetime supply of food, water, and shelter, but since it's a business I'd like to see it remain a strong business.

wat.

How does this benefit you at all?

I buy my games new, so an Online Pass doesn't hurt me.

Two discs is the benefit - no more space restrictions from the developer trying to force campaign and multiplayer onto a single DVD. I think this is one of the hurdles for the development of Reach and CEA.

The Disc 2 install is just for people who don't want to swap discs.

Requiring an Online Pass be purchased from Disc 1 means you can't just install Disc 2 and then mail it to your friend. If he wants to play online he would still need to borrow a copy of Disc 1 to purchase the pass. And even if that happens Microsoft still gets the $15, which is what they'd see from someone who bought the game used anyways.

I actually don't mind online codes, there are probably better things to get angry about. But actually wanting them to use them? It's a bit silly.

With halo id say a large potion of the userbase are getting it preowned. An online code makes sense to some degree, all that back end server stuff ect cant be cheap at all and if revenue is coming from only half the player base, from a buiness stand point i could see all that stuff becoming alot less appealing.

Mass Effect 2 Cerberus Network was my favorite example of project $10 done right, for anyone who dosnt know it members of the Cerberus Network were given multiple offerings of small DLC at regular intervals but larger DLC still had to be purchased.

Its not really applicable to halo in that sense unless Halo 4 is the start of SP DLC (which i would love but i doubt).

I can see locking preowned people out of the online having a negative effect aswell however some people are less inclined to play multiplayer when they have to pay $10 to unlock it.

Its a double edge sword and i dont think Halo (bar any microsoft interference) will adopt it but i cant certainly see its appeal.

ElRenoRaven

Two discs is the benefit - no more space restrictions from the developer trying to force campaign and multiplayer onto a single DVD. I think this is one of the hurdles for the development of Reach and CEA.

Requiring an Online Pass be purchased from Disc 1 means you can't just install Disc 2 and then mail it to your friend. If he wants to play online he would still need to borrow a copy of Disc 1 to purchase the pass. And even if that happens Microsoft still gets the $15, which is what they'd see from someone who bought the game used anyways.

You're nuts man. Online passes are anti consumer bullshit.

Let them worry about that. Wanting less in the hope of saving them... Like I already said, it's a bit silly. You guys are acting like the Halo franchise is dead.

You're right. Wanting the company that makes my favorite game/franchise to make more money, at no additional expense to me, so they can continue to expand the game/franchise experience is silly. What was I thinking. Silly Bregmann. Silly silly Bregmann.

Unless I'm misunderstanding what you're saying, the way the disc installs work on the Xbox, you can't avoid a disc swap just from an install. If you have both discs installs for Battlefield 3, you still have to swap discs to play Campaign or Multiplayer.

feel

Mike Dongblain is Letters
I'm not. No I'm nottt.
ebay_aceo_joker217rlj8.jpg

LETTERS, RUN!!

ElRenoRaven

Preowned games are Anti-Industry bullshit, you might aswell pirate it your not helping anyone but the stores.

ROFLMAO. Yes because every industry that has allowed their product to be sold used has disappeared from the face of the earth. Oh wait. No that's because they don't treat their customers like shit. My bad.

Used market helps only cheap-ass retailers. Cheap-ass retailers don't make the games that you love, they are in the business of doing the least amount of work they need to do in order to get your money. You are advocating for them and not for the people that make the games that you love.

I'm not voting for a $10 code to play online. I want Halo to be free forever, but if 343 wants to increase revenue in order to strengthen their business at no cost to me then I'm not going to go occupy Redmond over it.

Like I said before, are you a stock holder or a consumer? How much money they make is irrelevant to you. Halo isn't going away and will continue to bring in the cash on its own for a long time (unless 343 fuck it up).

As either I can see how 343 making MORE money rather than LESS benefits me. Why should money from the used market support a gamestop store that offers me shitty service every time I'm there and terrible deals on new game purchases?

FyreWulff

This isnt going anyway is it :lol, i mean we have different views on this and i see where your coming from i just think for the casuals that some form of in game privacy should exist without having to lock down your profile via the 360 menus.

Agree to disagree?

Speaking of Halo 4, what remakes would GAF like?

No remakes, spiritual successors are okay.

I've found that I've enjoyed the spiritual successor of a map that's been designed for the Halo it's in more than remakes of the same map. Although at this point they might as well include Hang Em High on the Halo 4 disc, since it's ended up in every single Halo now.

Valhalla > Coag/Blood Gulch
Longshore > Hang Em High
Guardian > Lockout/Blackout
Assembly > Backwash
Countdown > Construct

ElRenoRaven

Used market helps only cheap-ass retailers. Cheap-ass retailers don't make the games that you love, they are in the business of doing the least amount of work they need to do in order to get your money. You are advocating for them and not for the people that make the games that you love.

I'm not voting for a $10 code to play online. I want Halo to be free forever, but if 343 wants to increase revenue in order to strengthen their business at no cost to me then I'm not going to go occupy Redmond over it.

As either I can see how 343 making MORE money rather than LESS benefits me. Why should money from the used market support a gamestop store that offers me shitty service every time I'm there and terrible deals on new game purchases?

It's this simple. Businesses die and businesses survive. That's business. Sales of used games aren't going to shut any business down. Only poor management and poor business practices will. Do I feel sorry if a developer closes. No I don't. Because at the end of the day they are a business. They made their choices which lead to that.

I've seen developers I love close. I was sad but at the end of the day I understood that they either made choices that weren't profitable. Just do me a favor and honestly look at each company that is using online passes and used game sales as a scape goat. Honestly look at it.

You have EA who turns a huge profit every year. And until the online passes started all without using them. Who also ban people from playing their games in any form if you say something they don't like on their forum. I'm not talking profane hateful stuff either. You have THQ who releases some of the worst licensed crap there is. Granted they're trying to stop that. They're making strides. You have a developer who makes some extremely buggy games and who has treated customers on the PC like such crap that they've quit buying their games. At the same time they make some of the worst shovelware games there are. Those are but a few.

Also ask yourself this. Why is it that they use passes yet companies such as Activision, Nintendo, Microsoft, Rockstar, etc, etc don't resort to online passes? What is the difference? What do they do differently that they don't have to use them?

At the end of the day neither of us will change each others minds. So I've seen this discussion many times before on neogaf proper. It always ends the same. Both sides calling each other names and being insulting to each. I almost fell into that here. I'm not going to though. In fact I'll apologize for saying you guys are crazy. I'll just say I'm glad Microsoft doesn't use online passes and would hope they don't start and leave it at that and be done.

FyreWulff

I guess Fyrewulff is counting Longshore as a spiritual successor.

It certainly has its influence on Longshore, but I wouldn't say that Hang em' High was in Halo 3.

I count spirtual sucessors as the map being there, because it sure as shit felt redundant having both Blackout and Guardian in Halo 3. What a waste of a map slot.

I mean, look at the heatmaps. Redundant map is redundant. Yes, one of the heatmaps has been flipped, but my point stands.

heatmap_guardian.jpg

heatmap_blackout.jpg

I count spirtual sucessors as the map being there, because it sure as shit felt redundant having both Blackout and Guardian in Halo 3. What a waste of a map slot.

I don't feel that at all, but Blackout was a waste because they should have just actually made a true remake to Lockout if it was supposed to be a Lockout remake.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer

I mean, look at the heatmaps. Redundant map is redundant.

heatmap_guardian.jpg

heatmap_blackout.jpg
I agree. I really hope Midship isn't remade, we already have Zealot.

FyreWulff

I agree. I really hope Midship isn't remade, we already have Zealot.

I hope Midship never comes back ever, most overrated map in Halo history. It's like sending Alabama to the title game instead of the true challenger, Chiron TL-34.

Zealot is closer to Desolation than Midship, though. The only similarity between Zealot and Midship is they're both like purple drank for my eyes.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
I just watched the Starry Night trailer for the first time in, like, two years. It's still chilling. So well done.

Longshore was based off Hang Em High, to the point that it still has the HeH bases on it. I did a writeup here and I'm currently working on a Forge variant of High Noon that ports Longshore to the map.
Huh, somehow I never noticed that! Calling it a remake is a stretch, but the influence is pretty direct.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
You were being serious? I can't tell now.
Just look at the basic layout of the maps. 2 bases, streets that lead to a struggle for power and map control. (pink=gold) each base has 2 levels and the middle has multiple levels as well. It's pretty obvious.

Top Bottom