• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT7| What are They to Say Now?

Homeboyd

I enjoyed this. I am in Hawaii. Maybe it's a haole thing.
Lulu's, Pearl and Dukes.

Dude, it has nothing to do with being competitive. If a guy wants to send me a degrading message, I read it, and laugh. Sometimes, I troll back, and other times I just delete the message and go about my day. So no, I don't see the appeal when there are already so many options at your disposal to fix such an issue.

Even if you hide your K/D, and you crap the bed in a match, they're still going to message you, so it doesn't even solve your hypothetical situation, heh.
I love getting these messages. Seriously. How do they not always make you laugh.. no matter what they say? It's fucking hilarious to me for some reason.

Havok

Id say the hardcore got screwed over with reach, moving from h2 to h3 and then reach iv found that my hardcore mindset has become much more relaxed, taking away ranks was a big factor in that and its something that 343i need really consider because the hardcore players are a large segement of the player base currently without any real "home" within the reach playlists.
It's not just the removal of ranks, it's that skill matching has taken such a backseat to the whole experience. When was the last time you had a truly close match? Normally, the team I roll with completely destroys people who should very obviously not be matched against us, or we get matched against a super hardcore full team that destroys us. The middle ground (for us, at least) is completely gone with the way that Reach matches players, or with the population issues.

Dude, it has nothing to do with being competitive. If a guy wants to send me a degrading message, I read it, and laugh. Sometimes, I troll back, and other times I just delete the message and go about my day. So no, I don't see the appeal when there are already so many options at your disposal to fix such an issue.

Even if you hide your K/D, and you crap the bed in a match, they're still going to message you, so it doesn't even solve your hypothetical situation, heh.

This isnt going anyway is it :lol, i mean we have different views on this and i see where your coming from i just think for the casuals that some form of in game privacy should exist without having to lock down your profile via the 360 menus.

Agree to disagree?

Speaking of Halo 4, what remakes would GAF like?

Ramirez

It's not just the removal of ranks, it's that skill matching has taken such a backseat to the whole experience. When was the last time you had a truly close match? Normally, the team I roll with completely destroys people who should very obviously not be matched against us, or we get matched against a super hardcore full team that destroys us. The middle ground (for us, at least) is completely gone with the way that Reach matches players, or with the population issues.

I've said it since day 1 of this game, there really is no middle ground. You're either going to destroy the other team, or they're going to destroy you. I could probably count the close games on one hand I've hand in this game. It's a weird thing, but I find it to be true for the most part in my play time.

Where as in 2-3, I had a ton of matches that would literally go down to the last kill/objective cap.

I've said it since day 1 of this game, there really is no middle ground. You're either going to destroy the other team, or they're going to destroy you. I could probably count the close games on one hand I've hand in this game. It's a weird thing, but I find it to be true for the most part in my play time.

I agree with this, as far as close games go its normally only ever a full party and even then its very rare.

Valhalla would be enough to satisfy my needs. And I know I'm in the minority, but a third iteration of Last Resort would also be welcome.

Some kind of Coag/Valhalla Mix with the 3 different base types as large forge structures would be cool.

Id love another Last Resort, i liked both of them

No remakes, I feel it's very important for 343 to really put their own work out there, and not rely on past maps.

I agree with this to some degree a large map count with a few remakes and alot of new maps would be the best of both worlds i think. I mean some halo maps have got classic status and deserve to be in every halo game as far as im concered. On the other had if the majority of maps are remakes im going to get pretty bored pretty quickly.

Tried and tested maps that are for the most part always fan favorites are always nice.

I also want no remakes. No Blood Gulch, no Lockout, no Zanzibar, none of 'em. Make new awesome maps, the kinds people will request for remakes years from now.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Does W/L mean much either if they're rolling with randoms?

That's why I would like to see a level too. Gives a better picture. The win loss can show just how many games they've won or lost. Maybe they could show the win/loss on each level they've achieved.

Ramirez

Sandtrap, so much BTB memories on that map. Vehicular combat was wonderful on that map, and the Elephants... I miss them.

sululaugh.gif

Hell, let's bring back Splockets and Heavies while we're at it.

Where as in 2-3, I had a ton of matches that would literally go down to the last kill/objective cap.

Shitty quicker matchmaking and TOO many playlists will do that.

Ryaaan14

Banned
No remakes, I feel it's very important for 343 to really put their own work out there, and not rely on past maps.

Interesting thought, but fans love remakes too much. Perhaps all original maps at launch and throw in some remake DLC further down the road.

Really if forge gets a decent overhaul and builds on what we have currently then remakes shouldnt be in the initial map count leave it to the community to do them.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Valhalla, The Pit, Waterworks, Beaver Creek, Midship.

Those are pretty much must-have for me. There's many others I'd love to see make a return. I flirted with the idea of "no remakes in H4" for a while, but no, there's way too many maps I'd hate to see dropped. If they're dropped in H4, I want to see them return with Halo 5 and the Xbox 720.

Havok

StalkerUKCG said:
I'm going to try to exclude things that have already been remade this generation, but there is some overlap.

From Halo 1: A third stab at Chill Out. Map has crazy potential for Doubles and asymmetric Objective, too bad Cold Storage was tied to Legendary maps in terms of map integration. Otherwise, I guess maybe a try at making Rat Race truly great. It's got some neat ideas but spawns killed the Team Classic version.

From 2: Terminal, Turf, Burial Mounds, Colossus, Lockout, Relic, Waterworks, and an actual Zanzibar remake instead of the Last Resort abomination. The game has a ton of unsung classics that were overshadowed by the rest of the amazing lineup, so dig deep into its lineup.

From 3: The Pit, Standoff minus any sort of laser-like weapon, maybe a rethought Ghost Town. I honestly think Valhalla is one of the most overrated maps in the series, but it's not bad, so sure, I guess go for it.

Ramirez

Interesting thought, but fans love remakes too much. Perhaps all original maps at launch and throw in some remake DLC further down the road.

We don't even know how the game will play, those maps could be completely terrible for whatever they have cooking for what we know. As awesome as the Beaver Creek remake is, the jump height doesn't allow it to play like the BC I loved in Halo 2.

No remakes. At least 12 maps at launch. If 343 can't fit them on the disk, make the ones that don't fit as free DLC.

Lets be honest, 2 disc's at this point would be the best option. Increased graphical fidelity!

Let single player be as big as it needs to be without disc size as a limitation, similarly allow multiplayer to have a high map count

The only map that should be remade is Midship because it works well with many gametypes. That would be my one and only pick. Of course, the way the game plays should be the deciding factor on whether the map deserves its place.

kylej

Banned
15 maps bare minimum. Cut the inevitable crappy campaign if size constraints are an issue.

Real map editor, YouTube uploading. Hitscan, 4 shot default weapon, bright colors.

Ryaaan14

Banned
We don't even know how the game will play, those maps could be completely terrible for whatever they have cooking for what we know. As awesome as the Beaver Creek remake is, the jump height doesn't allow it to play like the BC I loved in Halo 2.

I think it's pretty safe to assume it won't play like Reach lol

But you're right, although remakes are obviously going to be reworked anyway, they would surely accomodate the map with any changes necessary based on jump height changes/new equipment/etc. You don't have to ctrl-c ctrl-v a map to bring the spirit of the gameplay back.

ElRenoRaven

May 12th, 2011? I didn't realize we were going backwards in time.

Oops. I still stand by that. Maybe his real name is Sam Beckett and he's leaping through time.

15 maps bare minimum. Cut the inevitable crappy campaign if size constraints are an issue.

Real map editor, YouTube uploading. Hitscan, 4 shot default weapon, bright colors.

Um yea. Fuck off with that shit. Because you don't like the Halo campaigns don't mean everyone else hates them. In fact if they did something that goddamn stupid I'd tell 343 exactly what they could do which would be to go fuck themselves. I'm pretty sure I wouldn't be alone in that too. I'd bet you most of the Halo fans would.

kylej

Banned
I agree man :lol

But there are people that love the campaign.

The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the nerds.

Campaign is a temporary annoyance, multiplayer is the Halo brand. Multiplayer pays the bills, 343, don't forget that shit like Bungie did.

I used to be in the "remakes please" camp, but the more I think about it the more I agree with Ramirez. At least with Halo 4 it's probably better for 343 to put their stamp on MP. They've already payed homage to what came before them with Anniversary and the MP maps on that disc.

With a Forge that has more options for changing the visuals of a map I could see the community doing a good enough job with serviceable remakes. And of course if 343 wants to make a radical "re-imagining" based on an old map as opposed to a pixel perfect remake then I would support that. Valhalla isn't really a Blood Gulch remake but it's the same family tree and if they wanted to do a similar "next generation" of a map in Halo 4 I'd be interested.

Havok

If anybody wants to play some Reach or Anniversary, we've got two in a party. Running Anniversary BTB at the moment.

Kuroyume

Banned
I think they've gotten too carried away with the campaign stuff. Too much focus on Halo lore and not as much on competitive multiplayer. Btw, H4 should just be all remakes.

Halo CE: Sidewinder (or Avalanche)
Halo 2: Coagulation, Lockout, Waterworks, Colossus, Terminal, Turf, Midship, Containment, Beaver Creek, Sanctuary, Headlong, Relic, Burial Mounds
Halo 3: The Pit

15 maps right there. If you have to have a Reach map in there it's either Powerhouse or Swordbase.

I don't want to even see 343 try to attempt making original maps. Why? I want a Halo game that's fun NOW. There's a chance they could screw up and I'd rather see them screw up with H5 making original maps. You just know they'll have something stupid in there if they try something original. Low-G all over the place. Shield doors. Laser doors. Dumb Halo lore related stuff.

I think they've gotten too carried away with the campaign stuff. Too much focus on Halo lore and not as much on competitive multiplayer. Btw, H4 should just be all remakes.

Halo CE: Sidewinder (or Avalanche)
Halo 2: Coagulation, Lockout, Waterworks, Colossus, Terminal, Turf, Midship, Containment, Beaver Creek, Sanctuary, Headlong, Relic, Burial Mounds
Halo 3: The Pit

15 maps right there. If you have to have a Reach map in there it's either Powerhouse or Swordbase.

I don't want to even see 343 try to attempt making original maps. Why? I want a Halo game that's fun NOW. There's a chance they could screw up and I'd rather see them screw up with H5 making original maps. You just know they'll have something stupid in there if they try something original. Zero-G all over the place. Shield doors. Laser doors. Dumb Halo lore related stuff.

...buh? The MP maps have always tied into the lore. Stupid gimmicks and poor design in general is a separate issue.

CyReN

I just want 5 arena maps and forge with a color option.

We are getting there as in forge color wise:
  • Halo 3 - Shit brown and dark silver
  • Halo Reach - Grey
  • Halo 4 - Rainbow set!

Halo 4 pipe dream:

Disc 1 - Campaign/Co-op/Firefight/Theater
Disc 2 - Multiplayer/Forge/Theater

In the box:
Online Pass - One-time code used to unlock online features (multiplayer, firefight, co-op, etc.)

Disc 1 and Disc 2 will both work offline (and on LAN) without the Online Pass.

You can install Disc 2 and seamlessly launch its features from Disc 1, but not the other way around.

If you buy the game used, you can purchase an Online Pass for $15. This pass cannot be found on Xbox.com or in the XBL Marketplace, it can only be purchased from the Disc 1 menu (but once purchased will allow Disc 2 to go online).

I just want 5 arena maps and forge with a color option.

We are getting there as in forge color wise:
  • Halo 3 - Shit brown and dark silver
  • Halo Reach - Grey
  • Halo 4 - Rainbow set!

Totally agree. Telling bases apart can b too much of a nuisance as is. Heck, I wouldn't mind it being grey if you could at least use Covie/UNSC/Forerunner architecture to differentiate bases.

Halo 4 pipe dream:

In the box:
Online Pass - One-time code used to unlock online features (multiplayer, firefight, co-op, etc.)

You can install Disc 2 and seamlessly launch its features from Disc 1, but not the other way around.

If you buy the game used, you can purchase an Online Pass for $15. This pass cannot be found on Xbox.com or in the XBL Marketplace, it can only be purchased from the Disc 1 menu (but once purchased will allow Disc 2 to go online).

I fully support/endorse this product and/or service.

Ken

Halo 4 pipe dream:

In the box:

Not even a 1 page manual included.

Top Bottom