• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT7| What are They to Say Now?

Havok

Good games tonight to all that were in the party. Wasn't playing very well, drinking and Halo are not a winning combination for me. A few things: Where the heck is Headlong Flag and Bomb? It's all Breakneck. And BTB Assault on maps with zero cover, like Hang 'em High, just don't work.

Ramirez

Just look at the basic layout of the maps. 2 bases, streets that lead to a struggle for power and map control. (pink=gold) each base has 2 levels and the middle has multiple levels as well. It's pretty obvious.

Zealot is actually a remake of Midship.

Also, this game is 0 fun, I don't know why I keep trying to play it periodically. I played like 3-4 different variants of Reach tonight, this game is like 6 games in 1!

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
I was referring to your other point about Zealot. Is it not agreed that Zealot is inferior in every way to Midship?
Lol maybe by noobs. It's pretty much generally accepted by the MLG community that it is very very similar to Midship and in some ways is better. Better spawns, better flag running routes and map flow.

Trasher

Check your pms.

Picture1-3.png

www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fg_cwI1Xj4M#t=1m32s

daedalius

Good games tonight to all that were in the party. Wasn't playing very well, drinking and Halo are not a winning combination for me. A few things: Where the heck is Headlong Flag and Bomb? It's all Breakneck. And BTB Assault on maps with zero cover, like Hang 'em High, just don't work.

One thing I got out of tonight's games - Evade on spartans is an abomination.

If in the future they make a combat roll of some sort, please don't allow it to launch you so far.

I also hate 100% bloom now that I've had 85% for so long, can't go back. I also love 120% speed anniversary settings, but the jump height is kinda shitty still; especially after playing some H3 today.

PNut

Banned
So the new season of Arena started and we get the same terrible one-sided red spawn maps again. How hard can it be too just add some decent symmetrical maps and remove jetpack? It's just slayer gametypes. sigh...

Tawpgun

So the new season of Arena started and we get the same terrible one-sided red spawn maps again. How hard can it be too just add some decent symmetrical maps and remove jetpack? It's just slayer gametypes. sigh...

Arena isn't exactly on anyones agenda anymore.

Lol maybe by noobs. It's pretty much generally accepted by the MLG community that it is very very similar to Midship and in some ways is better. Better spawns, better flag running routes and map flow.

Wait what?

Sorry if my sarcasm meter broke, but you are being sarcastic right?

Zealot being a remake or even a spiritual successor of Midship was always a joke about the media outlets reporting that it was a remake when they revealed the map when it clearly wasn't. Like Fyre said, Zealot is much much closer to Desolation than Midship.

Good point. I can deal with it though. Still the best competitive games besides MLG.

Speaking of MLG when are the V7 settings coming out?
Are the settings that are going into the playlist tomorrow still considered v6? If so, probably not for a while, because the season is over, so they'll be doing plenty of testing and considering larger changes for next season in gametypes and maps (possibly including CEA maps), but they probably aren't going to be rushing out new settings for a bit.

Pretty sure he's being honest. Zealot with MLG settings is good stuff.

I didn't mean it that Zealot wasn't a decent map, I just don't see Zealot as even remotely a spiritual successor to Midship. Their similarities are that they are purple, and that's pretty much it.

Personally, I also doubt that much of the MLG community thinks that it is better than Midship. Midship is pretty much considered the ultimate Halo map for the MLG's playstyle.

daedalius

No. Support the dying population.

I'm pretty sure I dislike the Anniversary BTB playlist.

I like anniversary settings(as in, higher movement speed and no AAs) with the DMR and not the 3-shot pistol. Just feels too inconsistent, and I think 3sk is a bit too fast.

You'd probably like BTB better if we had more competitive games.

GhaleonEB

It had active updates and changes until the transition. Jeremiah was taking feedback and modifying it for each season. Then they went to the 3 month seasons, and then the transition occured, and it's been untouched since then.

I think it's clear that the bulk of 343's efforts have gone into getting the Anniversary playlists out the door. I'm hoping they turn their attention more forcefully to the rest of matchmaking now.

I didn't mean it that Zealot wasn't a decent map, I just don't see Zealot as even remotely a spiritual successor to Midship. Their similarities are that they are purple, and that's pretty much it.

Personally, I also doubt that much of the MLG community thinks that it is better than Midship. Midship is pretty much considered the ultimate Halo map for the MLG's playstyle.
Yeah, I've never thought of zealot as anything close to resembling midship other than that they're both purple and have that covenant ship look.

Magni

The assassinations in this are ridiculous. I laughed with delight like three different times. A+++ would watch again.

That was quite good, just wish it were in higher res'. Funtages are the best 'tages.

I was just thinking if Halo 4-6 are the Reclaimer Trilogy, then what would we call Halo 1-3 if we were to group it into a trilogy?

The Original Trilogy?

Speaking of Halo 4, what remakes would GAF like?

I'm hoping for 15 maps on disk, so four remakes would be great. Or a real map creator that can provide variety (Human/Covenant/Forerunner/??? architecture and colors).

We need a canyon BTB map otherwise it's not Halo (and for this, Valhalla > BG), and if we could have at least two of the following that made H2 competitive 4v4 so great: Lockout/Midship/Sanctuary, I'd would buy two copies on launch to LAN from day 1 haha

Halo 4 pipe dream:

Disc 1 - Campaign/Co-op/Firefight/Theater
Disc 2 - Multiplayer/Forge/Theater

In the box:
Online Pass - One-time code used to unlock online features (multiplayer, firefight, co-op, etc.)

Disc 1 and Disc 2 will both work offline (and on LAN) without the Online Pass.

You can install Disc 2 and seamlessly launch its features from Disc 1, but not the other way around.

If you buy the game used, you can purchase an Online Pass for $15. This pass cannot be found on Xbox.com or in the XBL Marketplace, it can only be purchased from the Disc 1 menu (but once purchased will allow Disc 2 to go online).

This is a great idea. Online pass for XBL, but only needing a single disk for LAN. Do the same for DLC. (can download on as many Xboxes as you want once you buy them once, though to play online you'll still need the online pass).

Longshore was based off Hang Em High, to the point that it still has the HeH bases on it. I did a writeup here and I'm currently working on a Forge variant of High Noon that ports Longshore to the map.

I had to click the link to remember Longshore, wow. Never saw the resemblance.

wwm0nkey

Online Pass should happen, regardless of what some people think its great for devs since it gives them money out of used purchases. Also a 2 disc release is a must!

monome

Online pass?

For all the hate Activision gets, they haven't implemented it in MW3 which helps having a large(r) userbase.

Halo 4 will have a season pass for sure seeing what's happened with Gears 3 and Forza 4, that's good enough to please the developpers as they get the money upfront.

As far as I'm concerned I wouldn't mind if Halo gets on the premium road rather than just trying to get money back from used purchases.
It's a cheap tactic and it doesn't improve the experience in any way, thus I'd rather have ways to go a more premium way and i could even see myself pay so me and the community get a better experience.

For example : 343i makes wishlists for maps, armors, gametypes etc... and some users pay for it. Not everybody has to, but once enough money is in the bank, all the changes are deployed for the entire community.

I've bought maps that I can hardly play due to the community not having them all.
So let's not be a scrooge. I want stuff, I pay for it according to how much I'm ready to spend and maybe I get a freebie for contributing and I wait until enough like minded guys have done the same, then we ALL bathe in the glory of expansions for our favorite game.

So whatever the way, I'm fed up with map packs. I'm ok with it for Halo 4, but next-gen and halo 5 have to shake the status quo, or I'll be deflecting to MMOs and stuff that cater to a more dedicated userbase.

A season pass could work, Armour pack + Map pack. Single player scenario DLC are my dream.

Noble teams last mission with thom
Events of Bucks Squad after ODST
Johnson on Halo
Kurts last mission

FyreWulff

Considering Microsoft's poor handling and mismanagement of the Halo 3 DLC, then practically repeating this minsmanagement for Reach, I don't think I could trust them to actually fulfill the promise of a season pass.

One would assume some equivalent to Bungie Pro, though.

Considering Microsoft's poor handling and mismanagement of the Halo 3 DLC, then practically repeating this minsmanagement for Reach, I don't think I could trust them to actually fulfill the promise of a season pass.

One would assume some equivalent to Bungie Pro, though.

Im intrested in this "Season Pass" phase i wonder if all these devs decided at the same time to have one or microsoft started to push this on the market. If its microsoft the current handeling is pretty good.

monome

Single player scenario DLC are my dream.

Noble teams last mission with thom
Events of Bucks Squad after ODST
Johnson on Halo
Kurts last mission

that's exactly what I consider to be premium stuff : missions unrelated to the main events in the new halo trilogy, but still canon.
I don't mind a lot of reused assets ala Halo CE corridors as long as I get a story oriented short sequence action to rinse my palette from excessive Firefight and MP.

No way in Hell they will include it the the same pass as the maps.
But new armors for protagonists in those stories could be made available in MP for those who purchased. there might be bitching but those who pay for side missions are paying to maintain Halo and getting the story forward. It may also help introduce new gameplay options dimmed to risky to implement with the Master Chief story.

Whatever they do 343i' Halo has to be Bungie's Halo +1.
I don't see having 15 maps on disk as the way to get to that. i's about getting the experience better, not about getting a fuck ton of maps and playlists and whatever so that until you find your niche you're stucked in the waiting room.

monome

Im intrested in this "Season Pass" phase i wonder if all these devs decided at the same time to have one or microsoft started to push this on the market. If its microsoft the current handeling is pretty good.

It's definitely Microsoft who's pushed it and implemented it. it requires a few handshakes on the server side and MS has analytics to show developpers on the attache ratios for DLC.

monome

I thought it was EA?

Season pass is not online pass.

One grants you a discount if you pay upfront for stuff not yet released, the other fucks you because your little brother wit no money offered you a used game and now you have to pay 15 bucks to play online with your friends.

I am not good and my win rate for Anniversary BTB is 95%. Squad is 86%. It is kind of weird how bad everyone is.

Seriously. The only reason I put up with the 'Anniversary' gametypes is because I know I'll win and come out with a 2.0+ K/D, even if I hate the fucking modes.

I honestly think a lot of the people playing these modes never played Halo: CE, cause they all seem to run around with the AR instead of exploiting the almost-as-broken pistol.

Has 343i said when they're going to bring 85% bloom, bleed-through, revised armor lock and the other changes over to the other Reach playlists?

EDIT: I will never get used to separating Halo from Bungie. Never.

TheOddOne

Season pass is not online pass.

One grants you a discount if you pay upfront for stuff not yet released, the other fucks you because your little brother wit no money offered you a used game and now you have to pay 15 bucks to play online with your friends.
Ahh ok.

monome

EDIT: I will never get used to separating Halo from Bungie. Never.

You will.

Also Bungie did good separating from Halo and MS, they have the competence to build something akin to Halo while getting ridden of the comatose structure of console MP, aka online pass+season pass+gametypes+TUs etc...

What's coming up is not necessarily about reinventing the wheel but making it move more precisely and faster.
If Bungie offers :
1/ faster updates to correct bugs and bad balance
2/ a large choice of environments to battle on
3/ and a sensible choice of gametypes
4/ customization options for a large set of game assets (armors, maps, weapons)
5/ story driven sequences in between major releases
6/ game analytics
7/ players hubs
8/ mobile applications

Then they will be on par or superior to what Halo can offer in 2/3 years.

In the meantime, 343i gets to do what Lucas never did with Star Wars : listen to the fan, respect the story canon, create consistent good games and offer expanded Universe stuff that matters. That's good enough to promote XBOX adoption over Playstation and should keep 343i alive for some time if it works. Time enough to fulfill all the dreams and ambitions they have fo Halo, maybe or maybe enough time to branch onto the next big thing if needed.

FyreWulff

Your Daily Dose - Complete all the daily challenges for a given day - 20343cR

Today's challenges:

25 kills in muiltiplayer matchmaking - 2000cR
100 automatic weapon kills in campaign - 2500cR
Win 3 games in multiplayer matchmaking - 2900cR
Complete 5 games in multiplayer matchmaking - 2500cR

FyreWulff

I'm just going to get it today because every time I try to maximize a payout the dailies get harder and worse as the week goes on.

I can feel a 2,000 Kills on Glacier in my bones for Thursday.

I'm hoping for one of those Firefight Thursdays where I can get all four in one game. Would be about 38,000 cR for that game. Still, I'll get it on Thursday with a game or two of FF Doubles.

Are they still doing those? I can remember someone on here or HBO saying that there was no more firefight thursday. I haven't been paying to much attention to the challanges lately, too much Skyrim for me :p

Was it ever?
To this date, I have never played a single Arena game. That goes all the way back to the beta, too.

Speaking of remakes, I don't want to see any in Halo 4. Reach's map set is half remakes; at this point I'm sick of 'em. Spiritual successors? Maybe. Though I wouldn't mind, of course, a take on the "two bases in a boxed canyon" concept. But they gotta base it off Valhalla.

I'm playing some Reach MP right now if anyone wants to join. Trying to go after some cheevos.

Top Bottom