• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT7| What are They to Say Now?

monome

WOW, your completely wrong. Most games are targeted for a male audience. Your insinuating that the number disparity is from the lack of acceptance females get online is way off the mark. There are more males because they are the target of this business. There is a massive female audience that is untapped at this point in time and it is not due to the terrible male-female insults online.

Egg or Chicken first?

And I'm saying some girls like to play as spartans, and yes they have to be motivated because clearly the games do target males specifically, and then some fucker has to come and flood their inboxes with unicorn penises promises.
Once girls gamers are more involved in gaming communitiesn surely mrketers will more than be willing to provide them. Girls gamers want games. They have real life to worry about wanting dicks.

Do you want to revceive your tax papers through XBL? or do you think the service should be dedicated to fun?

aDDiKt24

Banned
Egg or Chicken first?

And I'm saying some girls like to play as spartans, and yes they have to be motivated because clearly the games do target males specifically, and then some fucker has to come and flood their inboxes with unicorn penises promises.
Once girls gamers are more involved in gaming communitiesn surely mrketers will more than be willing to provide them. Girls gamers want games. They have real life to worry about wanting dicks.

Do you want to revceive your tax papers through XBL? or do you think the service should be dedicated to fun?

Disagree. Its a long process. No one is going to invest in an AAA game targeted strictly at women. The dream is to make an AAA game that targets both men and women but its quite hard to find a game that does that successfully and has proved that successful it has spawned sequels.

More girls in gaming communities (aka NeoGaf) will not make xbox live more popular with females. Its all about games. And first and foremost games are made for $$$$$. There is a whole untapped resource of female gamers out there and being kind and inviting to them in game communities is not even going to create a ripple in the ocean.

feel

I get insta-harassed if I roll with my Venezuelan friends and speak a single word of spanish outside a xbl party. Best thing to do is just ignore it and go into a party or mute all.

Killer

Banned
It's been a while since i played Reach, but man anniversary classic kinda saved the game for me. OP pistol and no armor lock made wonders to this game.

Karl2177

hahahahhahah

yo dawg i heard you like bukkake

Nah bro. He asks the randoms that we let in our party if he can give bukkake.

As for the conversation, just don't be a fucking asshole online. Plain and simple. Those getting harassed will have to deal with it for the time being. It's what the File Complaint is for and the individual mutes as well. If you're asking for special treatment just because you're different, then no. If you're asking for equal treatment, then I perfectly agree. I hope I'm not coming off as a super asshole for this post.

Hmmm... Tempted.

I think it's a social problem that will take years to really fix, but the moderation/complaint tools on XBL could certainly be improved.

Reach does a great job of making it easy to mute people and the mute ban seems to work well (outside of MLG). I just wish it had a way to narrow down why you muted someone.

"You just muted Total Sellout. Please choose the most accurate reason why you muted this player:
- Don't want the other team to hear me.
- Player was too loud.
- Player had mic problems.
- Hate speech (race).
- Hate speech (gender).
- Hate speech (country).
- Hate speech (sexual orientation).
- Trash-talking.
- Other abusive language."

And so on. I'm sure I missed a category but you get the idea. Obviously different categories would have different thresholds for the number of complaints needed before punishment. Racism would get punished way before any trash-talking.

Punishments should also be more severe. If players are only using the mic to abuse others, they wouldn't really care about a mute ban. Perhaps a complete (temporary) ban from XBL in addition to a subsequent mute ban would make a better example of them.

At the current level of XBL maturity we'll never get a ChatRoulette Kinect app. :p

GhaleonEB

Im Australian, and always get given shit by Americans (Pretty much every game I play) thinking that I am from the UK. I don't get angry and make a video of it and claim that Im being treated unfairly because Im an Aussie.

I believe that females get targeted more then men, for obvious reasons we all know. It shouldn't happen. I don't think they are being treated unfairly.

Females/Males
White/Black
Old/Young
Australian/American

WHERE DOES IT END?

I did not understand the bold. They are being targeted disproportionally, but not treated unfairly? So, they deserve it?

I know that is not what you meant, but that is how I read that statement. Could you clarify?

My daughter plays online now and then, and I have configured her settings via parental controls such that she can't talk to anyone. Not just because of the content of typical online discourse, but because she is a girl, and would get an avalanche of filth shoveled her way. And has, on the few occasions she's talked online.

I think it's a social problem that will take years to really fix, but the moderation/complaint tools on XBL could certainly be improved.

Reach does a great job of making it easy to mute people and the mute ban seems to work well (outside of MLG). I just wish it had a way to narrow down why you muted someone.

"You just muted Total Sellout. Please choose the most accurate reason why you muted this player:
- Player was too loud.
- Hate speech (race).
- Hate speech (gender).
- Hate speech (country).
- Trash-talking.

And so on. I'm sure I missed a category but you get the idea. Obviously different categories would have different thresholds for the number of complaints needed before punishment. Racism would get punished way before any trash-talking.

Punishments should also be more severe. If players are only using the mic to abuse others, they wouldn't really care about a mute ban. Perhaps a complete (temporary) ban from XBL in addition to a subsequent mute ban would make a better example of them.

At the current level of XBL maturity we'll never get a ChatRoulette Kinect app. :p

Very good post Duncan, I'd like to see that go a step further with the "Rep" feature. I think if you add one more layer to the "why you are submitting a poor review" for this player and increased punishment you would find it more effective.

Here is the kicker, you get a notification when someone mutes you, or submits a poor review

Tawpgun

- Player was too loud.
- Hate speech (race).
- Hate speech (gender).
- Hate speech (country).
- Trash-talking.

This could also be abused.

Imagine the MLG playlist. Everyone would be considered hateful in there by Xbox LIVE.

Karl2177

This could also be abused.

Imagine the MLG playlist. Everyone would be considered hateful in there by Xbox LIVE.

"Don't want the other team to hear me."

Wouldn't be regarded as hateful by XBL. It would also help if there was an in-game setting(like Reach has) where the other team is already muted.

CyReN

I wish everyone wasn't muted when I went into MM, annoying unmutting everyone. Maybe I might be considered "lucky" from some people but it happens every game.

Any idea how to fix?

I can tell you from 10 years of experience, women on Live get more hassle, PMs, rage, and insults if identified via Gamertag or voice than men do. They do also get more love, but not the kind a thinking person is desirous of.

People should try extrapolating that into real life and see if they like the sound of it.

This is really it for me. People will say and act in ways behind the mask of the internet that they would never do in-person (at least most people).

Also, 'Team & Party'. It's magic.

Finally, of special note of something actually related to Reach, I played a couple games of SWAT last night, and I played on Prisoner the first game. Nearly fell out of my chair when I saw DLC on the voting screen.

Reach just needs to match pricks with pricks, quitters with quitters etc, like Capcom was doing with MvC3.
Well this is one way of determining who the pricks are. I don't think splitting the population due to mute bans it's smart though, that would just make matchmaking times awful for the smaller group of polite people on XBL.

Tawpgun, as mentioned earlier the MLG players would pick "I don't want the other team to hear me", which wouldn't be punished. It would just be data for the playlist manager to use for adjusting voice settings per playlist. Any mutes without explanation would default to no punishment as well.

Well this is one way of determining who the pricks are. I don't think splitting the population due to mute bans it's smart though, that would just make matchmaking times awful for the smaller group of polite people on XBL.

Tawpgun, as mentioned earlier the MLG players would pick "I don't want the other team to hear me", which wouldn't be punished. It would just be data for the playlist manager to use for adjusting voice settings per playlist. Any mutes without explanation would default to no punishment as well.
For MLG, the way Halo 3 handled it was perfect. You don't hear the other team during the match and if you don't want to be trash talked, you just leave the game when it's finished.

Arena already has this system so I don't see why such a competetive playlist as MLG doesn't have it.

CyReN

Thinking of changing my gamertag and have some extra points. Old gamertags where I cyren I & Cyren CE.

Any ideas? Lame ones I got so far: CCyReN, CyReNl, CyReNNN,Fus Ro CyReN. Some assclown used CyReNs and doesn't play.

feel

Thinking of changing my gamertag and have some extra points. Old gamertags where I cyren I & Cyren CE.

Any ideas? Lame ones I got so far: CCyReN, CyReNl, CyReNNN,Fus Ro CyReN. Some assclown used CyReNs and doesn't play.

xXxCyReN420xXx

CyReN

Cyren Nasti

srFs1.jpg

Top Bottom