• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT7| What are They to Say Now?

Sai-kun

Banned
Perhaps you should stop being disingenuous and realize this happens to everyone.

Dude come on. Everyone gets made fun of, but nobody gets made of for sounding like a 'straight' white male.

I have lost count of how many games I say one thing (Like "hi!") and immediately start getting called a fag and tons of other really stupid shit.

Sorry if this post doesn't make sense. It's like 9 AM and I feel like total shit. Ugh.

monome

Somebody in that thread posted fatuglyorslutty.com. Makes me sad and laugh at the same time.

343i should include Spartan skirt armor in Halo 4 and a skirt uplifting achievement, it would probably seal the deal with those wranklers. Maybe call it "my body is ready for reggie".

I have lost count of how many games I say one thing (Like "hi!") and immediately start getting called a fag and tons of other really stupid shit.

Individual muting in Halo Reach is a blessing.

Dude come on. Everyone gets made fun of, but nobody gets made of for sounding like a 'straight' white male.

Sorry if this post doesn't make sense. It's like 9 AM and I feel like total shit. Ugh.

Too much Gaga is messing with your brains, man.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Way to miss the point.

Proof?

And my point was that it's irrelevant.

I will make an appeal to authority - In my job I pay a tremendous amount of attention to the behavior of people online. Including factual, statistical and properly sampled research. More than you, I surmise. And I have done so professionally for ten years.

Secondly, to the matter of irrelevance. You make a reasonable point. In that environment, you say women should just suck it up. Of course you also infer it doesn't happen, so quite what they should suck up becomes vague. But let's say you're right: my position is that people should behave better, not that victims should roll over and stfu. My position is superior to yours ethically, morally and philosophically. Yours may win practically. But that doesn't make it a good position.

Trey

Anything that can hurt someones feelings shouldnt be said.

I don't quite know the validity of getting rid of all speaking. As cumbersome as it is, it is still the most efficient form of expression we have.

aDDiKt24

Banned
I will make an appeal to authority - In my job I pay a tremendous amount of attention to the behavior of people online. Including factual, statistical and properly sampled research. More than you, I surmise. And I have done so professionally for ten years.

Secondly, to the matter of irrelevance. You make a reasonable point. In that environment, you say women should just suck it up. Of course you also infer it doesn't happen, so quite what they should suck up becomes vague. But let's say you're right: my position is that people should behave better, not that victims should roll over and stfu. My position is superior to yours ethically, morally and philosophically. Yours may win practically. But that doesn't make it a good position.

To quote another poster from another thread

It's fucking absurd that anybody actually believes there is a real world "solution" to this sort of behavior. There's absolutely nothing anybody can do about it outside of muting the offenders. The millions and millions of people playing online are individuals, each with their own individual personalities, motivations, sets of values, behavioral quirks, cultures, and so on. Nobody controls how these individuals behave except themselves, and the truth is not everybody wants female gamers to go unharassed online. And everybody else has to deal with that, even if they don't like it.

And no, this isn't going to change, even if we open a serious dialogue about it, even if female gamers "take a stand" and "make their voices heard" or whatever emotionally satisfying and ultimately impotent phrases are used, even if paths for progress are outlined by the few people who believe in imaginary roads to some impossible utopia.

By all means, have the discussion. Come up with real world ways to deal with the situation, like ignoring the behavior or playing online games where harassment is minimal (Team Fortress 2 has tons of women playing it, and I've literally never seen a woman harassed for being female on the servers I frequent.) But please be fucking realistic about it. It's insane to me that I share the world with actual adults who are so delusional that they actually believe there is a realistic "solution" to every problem. That isn't true, and in many cases it is never going to be true no matter how high-minded we are, and that's painfully obvious to anyone who bothers to take the blinders of idealism off and observe the real world around them.

Gui_PT

Europeans get a lot of crap too. At least I did before I just muted everyone on the opposite team.

Never complained. Complaining is not going to fix anything.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Some social problems are solved by discussing them openly, creating awareness, and eventually a massive stigma that people don't want to be attributed to. It isn't irrelevant and talking about it is exactly the right thing to do!

To break up this 'discussion', just had my pre new years dinner.

Roast potatoes, gravy, garlic mushrooms, turkey, roast chicken, spring rolls etc, hungry?

1325172486287.jpg

monome

There's absolutely nothing anybody can do about it outside of muting the offenders.

I'm not okay with that. I like women, both physically and mentally, and my gaming sessions woul be improved if there were more girls involved.
Just like in real life, you may want to have a romp with a girl but she happens to be a friend and you suck it up because bringing up your horniness will be awkward to her and a silent understanding is more profitable to the two of you.

Gamers ready to talk about their penis to unknown lady gamers are pure garbage and their attitude should be punished, if not by the service provider then by the general community as a manner to show women are respected and welcome.

Whenever reggie goes on his blabla, he makes a case for a girl looking a Neogaf not to feel welcome. Is it what you intend? that Halogaf stays a virtual man-cave? Women are not perfect and can stand for their own but I strongly disagree with non-intervention, or life is life comments.

Shut your crepe-hole, French Hitler.

The fuck? first the ladies, now the French...C'est la révolution. We French take our ladies seriously, and the sluttier, the better! it's up to them to decide, we have only respect and adoration for them.

Stinkles

I would love, LOVE to hear how your position is better "ethically, morally and philosophically".

Because I want people to behave more politely and respectfully and you want victims to suck it up. There's no argument for you to make. That's your stated position.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
That has worked well with drugs in society since forever!
I guess if there was some dangerously addictive neurotransmitter tied to being a jerk online, that'd be an okay comparison.

Edit: That actually made me research StatsCan for drug statistics, and drug use here is decreasing, which is great news! Even more reason to open up prisons, Harper.

Trey

I'm not okay with that. I like women, both physically and mentally, and my gaming sessions woul be improved if there were more girls involved.
Just like in real life, you may want to have a romp with a girl but she happens to be a friend and you suck it up because bringing up your horniness will be awkward to her and a silent understanding is more profitable to the two of you.

That's the outstanding issue, right there. The social awareness which keeps you from displaying your "horniness" is not present for those online, behind a mic and a psuedonym. Women are still widely objectified in this culture, and the roots of that fact need to be changed before any significant progress is made for the various tendrils of ignorance thereof to be dealt with.

Stinkles

Where did I say I didn't want people to behave more politely and respectfully? I would love this to happen. But guess what? You are never going to solve it, the only thing you can do is not let it get to you. If you can't handle people talking shit to you on XBL then you probably shouldn't be playing online games. It's sad that this is the case, but it's true.

Sure, but you've stated more than once that victims should just get used to it. If you think I am unfairly paraphrasing you, do tell. Racism in the public sphere was ameliorated and reduced through discussion, awareness and a societal push towards better norms of discourse. There is no reason to believe online conversation is beyond repair. In fact it seems to be getting better as the medium matures, with more tools and more awareness. If 15 out of 16 people in a lobby mute and berate a sexist pig, it will become a less popular pastime for all but the most Ritalin-fueled shitbags.

heckfu

Banned
Where did I say I didn't want people to behave more politely and respectfully? I would love this to happen. But guess what? You are never going to solve it, the only thing you can do is not let it get to you. If you can't handle people talking shit to you on XBL then you probably shouldn't be playing online games. It's sad that this is the case, but it's true.

If you really want that to happen then why did you start the debate currently happening by calling Devo out? Seems easier to do what you "love" and just not say anything.

monome

Why insist?
In the end we all die, why should we even be born?
You got a girl? If so then yes sometimes when she tells you what happened with a stranger that day, you say "suck it up" because c'est la vie, but I hardly see any guy saying that over and over, sometimes you do say it's untolerable and the problem should be adressed.

That's the outstanding issue, right there. The social awareness which keeps you from displaying your "horniness" is not present for those online, behind a mic and a psuedonym. Women are still widely objectified in this culture, and the roots of that fact need to be changed before any significant progress is made for the various tendrils of ignorance thereof to be dealt with.

So it's up to the community to enforce behaviour rules. I'd rather play with girls than 13yrs old wranklers. Getting those shit heads banned will help bring a better community in the end.

Women are not special.

Someone finds this guy's mom, please. or maybe he's just heartbroken at the moment. Sheer up man and stop stirring the shit. Go find a us a nice concilliatory GIF.

Trey

If 15 out of 16 people Ina. Lobby mute and berate a sexist pig, it will become a less popular pastime for all but the most Ritalin-fueled shitbags.

I can get behind muting them. Berating them isn't conducive to the end goal.

Also, BTB? You're just asking for harrassment.

:)

aDDiKt24

Banned
Sure, but you've stated more than once that victims should just get used to it. If you think I am unfairly paraphrasing you, do tell. Racism in the public sphere was ameliorated and reduced through discussion, awareness and a societal push towards better norms of discourse. There is no reason to believe online conversation is beyond repair. In fact it seems to be getting better as the medium matures, with more tools and more awareness. If 15 out of 16 people Ina. Lobby mute and berate a sexist pig, it will become a less popular pastime for all but the most Ritalin-fueled shitbags.

Berate: to criticize or speak in an angry manner to someone

So mute someone and then abuse them while others can hear and he cant attack back. Sounds like an amazing solution. Hate breeds hate.

Trey

So it's up to the community to enforce behaviour rules. I'd rather play with girls than 13yrs old wranklers. Getting those shit heads banned will help bring a better community in the end.

I'd rather play with reasonable people, regardless of their demographic. Your stereotyping is not a solution to the problem. Girls can be dicks, too.

Stinkles

Berate: to criticize or speak in an angry manner to someone

So mute someone and then abuse them while others can hear and he cant attack back. Sounds like an amazing solution. Hate breeds hate.

I don't think berating is a solution, I think it's a natural consequence of poor behavior in a public setting.

Louis Wu

Heh - most of the women I play with deal with the verbal abuse by pwning, in-game.

Certainly doesn't shut up the douchebags - but it makes 'em way easier to laugh at. :)

Gui_PT

Problem is people just like to be idiotic jerks when they can freely insult whoever they want knowing they'll never face any consequences.

Stinkles

How is that "lol"?

In the context of what Reggie is saying a gamer is a gamer. Male/Female is not important and being either sex does not make you special.

Females are complaining that they are subject to more verbal and PM abuse than male counterparts. They are correct. They didn't say they were special. They said they were treated unfairly. This is true.

That's the discussion. I am white knighting them so they will think I am brave and clever.

monome

I'd rather play with reasonable people, regardless of their demographic. Your stereotyping is not a solution to the problem. Girls can be dicks, too.

Sure, but the lady gamers community is still not representative enough to come to such terms. EVERY girl I know who plays is a fuckton of awesome.

I guess Facecbook gaming ladies will bring the balance to that.

And you can hardly be anything but a wrankler at 13 ;) just a matter of speech.

I'm all for cool guys and as was said I like when in the "waiting room" some dudes go ahead and say "Hi" or stuff, just like in a bar it sets a smoother mood.

Females are complaining that they are subject to more verbal and PM abuse than male counterparts. They are correct. They didn't say they were special. They said they were treated unfairly. This is true.

That's the discussion. I am white knighting them so they will think I am brave and clever.

Saying girls are to be respected and enforcing it is not white-knighting, it's just good common sense.
Online gaming is LACKING women, and pro-women solutions should be found to help alleviate the male/female number disparity.
Common sensed guys lose from letting unreasonable guys loose their shit online.

aDDiKt24

Banned

Im Australian, and always get given shit by Americans (Pretty much every game I play) thinking that I am from the UK. I don't get angry and make a video of it and claim that Im being treated unfairly because Im an Aussie.

I believe that females get targeted more then men, for obvious reasons we all know. It shouldn't happen. I don't think they are being treated unfairly.

Females/Males
White/Black
Old/Young
Australian/American

WHERE DOES IT END?

monome

Im Australian, and always get given shit by Americans (Pretty much every game I play) thinking that I am from the UK. I don't get angry and make a video of it and claim that Im being treated unfairly because Im an Aussie.

I believe that females get targeted more then men, for obvious reasons we all know. It shouldn't happen. I don't think they are being treated unfairly.

Females/Males
White/Black
Old/Young
Australian/American

WHERE DOES IT END?

Maybe it'd be better if you could play with french girls?!

Who wants to get the weekly?

No gurls pleaz

I lol'ed, bastard...

Yup.
Who wants to get the weekly?

No gurls pleaz

lol. Can't though. Trying to get through all my games so I can post a reasonable list for the GAF GOTY.

aDDiKt24

Banned
Sure, but the lady gamers community is still not representative enough to come to such terms. EVERY girl I know who plays is a fuckton of awesome.

I guess Facecbook gaming ladies will bring the balance to that.

And you can hardly be anything but a wrankler at 13 ;) just a matter of speech.

I'm all for cool guys and as was said I like when in the "waiting room" some dudes go ahead and say "Hi" or stuff, just like in a bar it sets a smoother mood.

Saying girls are to be respected and enforcing it is not white-knighting, it's just good common sense.
Online gaming is LACKING women, and pro-women solutions should be found to help alleviate the male/female number disparity.
Common sensed guys lose from letting unreasonable guys loose their shit online.

WOW, your completely wrong. Most games are targeted for a male audience. Your insinuating that the number disparity is from the lack of acceptance females get online is way off the mark. There are more males because they are the target of this business. There is a massive female audience that is untapped at this point in time and it is not due to the terrible male-female insults online.

Top Bottom