• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT7| What are They to Say Now?

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics
I'm surprised Bungie has that kind of freedom with their employees. I believe Shishka did the same thing around Halo 2's release (Bungie > Certain Affinity > Bungie).

daedalius

I've just now played more Reach than Halo 3, but the only reason for that is I actually have some people I play Reach with, and (just about) always played solo in H3, heh.

I wouldn't want to go back to H3, really; Reach does quite a few things right, its just some of the design decisions drag a lot of it down.

-Imagine if bloom reset much faster from the beginning, or was 85% at the beginning, etc. Or if it was just a hitscan BR with 2x.

-If vehicles weren't paper to the DMR.

-If the Banshee wasn't a Scorpion of the sky.

-If Arena wasn't such a joke, with jetpacks and armor locks, and personal ratings, etc, at the beginning

-If armor lock worked like it works now, or all AAs were pickups on maps, etc.

-If player inertia wasn't cranked so high that it nerfed strafing

Those are just a few things, but I think a lot of people would have a different opinion of Reach... except the people on Waypoint. That place is full of BKs.

Kuroyume

Banned
I hated Halo 3 and I don't like Reach. Don't understand how anyone who enjoyed H2 could possibly like H3. I'm not even interested in finding out. Not going to open that can of worms.

feel

^ Really?? They're very similar despite having clear advantages and disadvantages over the other. They're the only two mp halo games that are similar actually.

I'm surprised Bungie has that kind of freedom with their employees. I believe Shishka did the same thing around Halo 2's release (Bungie > Certain Affinity > Bungie).

Jaime Griesemer needs to complete the Bungie -> wherever he's on -> 343i dance

ElRenoRaven

Bungie has always been very good to their employees. It's also not like they can force them to stay. And so far all the guys have left on good terms it seems. So they'd be stupid to say no sorry we know you're a great guy and shit but get lost. And I believe Marcus just left to take some time off with the family and to figure out what he wanted to do. It seems a lot of guys in the business do this after a long while with a company to recharge their batteries.

Jaime Griesemer needs to complete the Bungie -> wherever he's on -> 343i dance

I agree but I don't see that happening for awhile. Last I read he was pretty happy where he is.

Striker

I would actually say that is the problem, they catered to the people who didn't like or play much of 3; in a way that they are rather enjoying this game and play it more, versus the people who like the gameplay of 3 and totally alienated them with their NEW game play mechanics.. hurting the games sustained user base in the process.
I have found both to be underwhelming experiences. Giving new, and old, players a helping hand in gameplay, e.g. simultaneous deaths, vehicle stun, equipment/loadouts, slow base speed, inconsistent BR/DMR, to nail down some ideas. All were awful and large reasons of this.

CyReN

I hated Halo 3 and I don't like Reach. Don't understand how anyone who enjoyed H2 could possibly like H3. I'm not even interested in finding out. Not going to open that can of worms.

I enjoyed MLG/Team Snipers in Halo 3, I really really disliked double team with equipment though, surprise I didn't break any controllers.

For me, I found that customs where generally at least as/ and in most cases far more competitive than matchmaking could be, whilst actually providing a good connection, (with the right friends, all guys that played to win, had a laugh and lived locally). Because of that I played a ton more customs than I did matchmaking for pretty extended periods. I still played a ton of matchmaking but customs are where I had the most fun.

Yea my Reach custom games might honestly be in Single Digits. I could be boosted for some due to playing the TU game types early.

9/0/11-21/31/11 I played 88 games of Reach

9/0/08-21/31/08 I played 796 games of Halo 3

I am sure mine would look very similar. It is depressing.

Halo: Reach - 7,348 games played (Non-Firefight Matchmaking)

Halo 3 - 8,276 games played (Ranked + Social Matchmaking)

Halo 2 - 7,090 games played (Matchmaking + Custom Games)

I've enjoyed all of them a great deal, as you can see.

Are they really implementing 85% bloom in regular BTB? I though the complaint was that the DMR was too dominant in BTB.

heckfu

Banned
Haha vhfive is such a drunk bastard

m4NdY.jpg

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Halo 3 total games: 14,949
Halo Reach total: 5,216

I'm right on pace it seems. However, Halo 4 will cut Reach short.

^ Really?? They're very similar despite having clear advantages and disadvantages over the other. They're the only two mp halo games that are similar actually.

Well that was one of my chief reasons for not liking Halo 3, because it was quite similar to Halo 2, but worse in almost every way (my opinion obviously). When I play Halo 3, I just think about how Halo 2 does most of things I'm doing better.

Reach is quite different than either of those two games. Reach does some things quite well, it does some things poorly, and some things just don't make sense, but as a whole I enjoy playing it more than Halo 3 (especially with TU and Anni settings). I would actually enjoy Reach quite a bit more than I do if the maps weren't so few and terrible (I played some significant TO with Devo and Over yesterday and the playlist is literally Asylum, Countdown, and Zealot). The DLC certainly helps that situation, but unfortunately that won't come up regularly unless you're playing an Anniversary playlist of course.

Well that was one of my chief reasons for not liking Halo 3, because it was quite similar to Halo 2, but worse in almost every way (my opinion obviously). When I play Halo 3, I just think about how Halo 2 does most of things I'm doing better.

Reach is quite different than either of those two games. Reach does some things quite well, it does some things poorly, and some things just don't make sense, but as a whole I enjoy playing it more than Halo 3 (especially with TU and Anni settings). I would actually enjoy Reach quite a bit more than I do if the maps weren't so few and terrible. The DLC certainly helps that situation, but unfortunately that won't come up regularly unless you're playing an Anniversary playlist of course.

I see what you did..

Halo 2 was the best online halo by far. It played the best to me anyway.

It went for a grimier look. Still colorful. Grainy though. I liked the models better; think they're the best in the series.
The faces are a monumental leap over all their previous efforts, but I generally dislike Reach's look. I don't like the chunky look of the Spartans, I don't like the toned down colours, and I especially don't like the grain filter over everything.

daedalius

Reach had the worst art direction of any Halo game bar none.

Art direction encompasses a lot of things in a game, I can't say I dislike Reach's; however I did enjoy the set-pieces and locales in Halo3 more.

However, the models and textures in Reach are significantly better technically. I think the lighting in Halo3 was better though.

Everything we've seen from Halo: CE to Halo 2 to Halo 3 to Halo: Reach suggests the art direction improved with each iteration. Bungie made significant strides in its organization as a studio, and Reach provides a pretty consistent artistic vision, despite Bungie having a significantly larger workforce on Reach. How could leading a larger group of artists to produce a higher volume of content at higher fidelity, with a unified style be described as "worse art direction"?

Is it because the color pallette was slightly muted from 3 to Reach? Is that your meaning?

feel

I quite enjoyed the visuals in most of the levels.

The music is is the worst of the series though (or the least good).

The texture detail on the spartan in Halo has always been fantastic since Halo 3 but Reach just wins out in my opinion

Click to make bigger

Dirty Legs suck. (so do muted visor colours)

Reach has some great art direction... But a lot of it's covered in a shitty grain-filter or ten metric tonnes of fog. I could go digging up a panorama, but eh...

ODST has the best, though, imo. That or Halo 3.

MrBig

Reach has some great art direction... But a lot of it's covered in a shitty grain-filter or ten metric tonnes of fog. I could go digging up a panorama, but eh...

ODST has the best, though, imo. That or Halo 3.

I agree with this.
Reach has amazing art direction, but it is separate from the rest of the series in its artistic style.
Of the originally Halo styling I really enjoy where Halo 3 took the series with its super saturated pallet and macro design language.
Reach has a more grounded approach and technique that looks really great (when you can look past the grain filter) that I also enjoy, but not in the same way. I absolutely love the industrial design of the concept artists.

I agree with this.
Reach has amazing art direction, but it is separate from the rest of the series in its artistic style.
Of the originally Halo styling I really enjoy where Halo 3 took the series with its super saturated pallet and macro design language.
Reach has a more grounded approach and technique that looks really great (when you can look past the grain filter) that I also enjoy, but not in the same way. I absolutely love the industrial design of the concept artists.

Explain this in idiot terms please
Heckfu is reading

My biggest problem with Reach's art is not that it isn't good, it is most of the locations. We get 3 out of the 9 missions in industrial environments (Nightfall, TotS and tPoA) which I really dislike. I'd loved to see some more future city spaces ala Exodus and New Alexandria or some more forest area's.

That's something Halo 3 did very well: Nearly every level felt unique. You were playing in a completely different environment each level (with the exception of Floodgate). The Ark and the Covenant couldn't be bigger contrasts. Or Sierra 117 and Rat's nest.
I hope 343 will try to do something similar with Halo 4.

daedalius

My biggest problem with Reach's art is not that it isn't good, it is most of the locations. We get 3 out of the 9 missions in industrial environments (Nightfall, TotS and tPoA) which I really dislike. I'd loved to see some more future city spaces ala Exodus and New Alexandria or some more forest area's.

That's something Halo 3 did very well: Nearly every level felt unique. You were playing in a completely different environment each level (with the exception of Floodgate). The Ark and the Covenant couldn't be bigger contrasts. Or Sierra 117 and Rat's nest.

I think the Anniversary levels look the best out of everything in Reach, those be some epic vistas in the distance on a few of them.

If Reach had of taken us to some more awesome places (say, another Ark, a Halo ring, etc), like Halo 3 did, we might be thinking differently.

Crow's Nest. :p

Top Bottom