• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT7| What are They to Say Now?

Karl2177

Warthog talk: We noticed, bro.

FyreWulff said:
The scorpion has been overpowered since Halo 1 - it has barely been in matchmaking in ANY of the games.

The Wraith has been the "actually balanced" tank for multiplayer matchmaking since 2. The scorpion is a sniper rifle with "kills everything" bullets.
I agree with you for once. We shall commemorate this moment with candy!

FyreWulff said:
The scorpion has been overpowered since Halo 1 - it has barely been in matchmaking in ANY of the games.
I think the deal with Halo 1 was that the head was always exposed to pistol shots, and the vehicles being indestructible helped on the balance end of things. Yes, the scorpion had absurd strength, but it was just as easy to flip that around and put it to your advantage. In later games, someone takes a huge lead with the scorpion then what? You destroy the scorpion and leave them with that lopsided lead.

FyreWulff said:

Halo 2 - only on Flag Wars, Gulch Wars, Heavy and Containment games (because the giant hill in the middle of the map balanced it)

Halo 3 - only on Heavies and/or Avalanche variants

The Wraith has been the "actually balanced" tank for multiplayer matchmaking since 2. The scorpion is a sniper rifle with "kills everything" bullets.

In Halo 1 on maps like Death Island the Tank fitted extremely well. Other tanks/ Sniping the driver out/ generally aiming for the Cockpit with the Pistol and Banshees were good againt it.

I loved that mechanic where you could shoot the driver out. I know thats back in Reach but its not the same. :/

By the way im jelous of the sweets Fyrewulff!

Rickenslacker said:
I think the deal with Halo 1 was that the head was always exposed to pistol shots, and the vehicles being indestructible helped on the balance end of things. Yes, the scorpion had absurd strength, but it was just as easy to flip that around and put it to your advantage. In later games, someone takes a huge lead with the scorpion then what? You destroy the scorpion and leave them with that lopsided lead.

It felt epic killing the tank driver by headshotting him and then stealing his tank. :p

FyreWulff

Rickenslacker said:

Problem with the exposed driver is people just learned the turn the scorpion backwards before spawncamping the other team.

Karl2177

So I've been rewatching old Halo videos this afternoon. It is incredibly interesting to watch Bungie's transition between the Halo 3 MP ViDoc and the Halo reach MP ViDoc.

Also Devo, that thread just got golden. OP told his mom.

Karl2177 said:
So I've been rewatching old Halo videos this afternoon. It is incredibly interesting to watch Bungie's transition between the Halo 3 MP ViDoc and the Halo reach MP ViDoc.

Also Devo, that thread just got golden. OP told his mom.

Dude and his friend are the epitome of man children.

ElRenoRaven

thezerofire said:
and all the people telling him to mind his own business

yup it really amazes me that a lot of people are as gutless as they are and told him to mind his own business. just really floors me.

PsychoRaven said:
yup it really amazes me that a lot of people are as gutless as they are and told him to mind his own business. just really floors me.
I don't think it's gutlessness. I think it's that they just don't care about people.

neoism

Slightly Live said:
So why did he leave it like that and ship the game? =P

Seriously, the Reach Hog is trash. A single speck of dirt, or the wrong shade on a texture can send the Hog flipping erratically. It's like they forgot the Hog is suppose to drive over non-flat, uneven surfaces.

I was disappointed fixing the hog wasn't within the scope of the TU but 343 had better seriously reconsider how the hog handles going forward. I went from spending countless hours being a proud wheelman in Halo 3 to avoiding the Hog altogether outside of Objective runs.

Still not as bad the Banshee.
if Halo 4s hog doesn't play/feel like Halo 1s 343 have failed.....

daedalius

How do people still vote for 1 flag CTF on Hemorrhage?

I don't think I've played a single game where its pug vs pug and not 0-0 at the end. Not to mention I always get a ton of deaths since snipers are derp on that map.

neoism said:
if Halo 4s hog doesn't play/feel like Halo 1s 343 have failed.....

Halo 1 hog is pretty lame in comparison to the newer more agile hogs, Halo 1's hog wouldnt play well in the current multiplayer enviroments its got slower acceleration and the steering is heavy.

ElRenoRaven

StalkerUKCG said:
Halo 1 hog is pretty lame in comparison to the newer more agile hogs, Halo 1's hog wouldnt play well in the current multiplayer enviroments its got slower acceleration and the steering is heavy.

Blasphemer!!!!!

Halo 1 Warthog will always be the best.

Havok

daedalius said:
How do people still vote for 1 flag CTF on Hemorrhage?
Because 90% of the people in the playlist don't want to play for an objective and this gives them 12 minutes of Slayer Unlimited. It's a cesspool, which isn't surprising given the amount of care that it's given.

Reach is supposed to have a higher gravitational force that Earth, but when I'm driving the Reach Hog it feels like I'm on the moon.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Anyone wanna get the Endure challenge with me? I gotta get started in the next half hour or so if I'm gonna do it tonight... GT = popular revolt.

daedalius

Havok said:
Because 90% of the people in the playlist don't want to play for an objective and this gives them 12 minutes of Slayer Unlimited. It's a cesspool, which isn't surprising given the amount of care that it's given.

Ugh, that's the only reason I like BTB is objectives. I actually get it more often than not, I swear it ALWAYS seemed like objective in Halo 2, and most of the time in Halo 3. Voting is failure, it is proven to be a failure simply because people still vote for Hemorrhage all the time.

daedalius said:
Ugh, that's the only reason I like BTB is objectives. I actually get it more often than not, I swear it ALWAYS seemed like objective in Halo 2, and most of the time in Halo 3. Voting is failure, it is proven to be a failure simply because people still vote for Hemorrhage all the time.

The fact that one-flag on Hemorrhage is in the playlist is a failure.

It is the definition of a 2-base, 2-flag map.

daedalius

Steelyuhas said:
The fact that one-flag on Hemorrhage is in the playlist is a failure.

It is the definition of a 2-base, 2-flag map.

Agreed. To be honest, if there was a Big Team CTF/Assault playlist, that is all I would ever play.

Haven't seen these Reach Noble MP concept pieces before, thought I'd share. =)

DELICIOUS

Havok

daedalius said:
I can only speak for myself, but when Hemorrhage goes right, it's amazing - and that's why its probably my favorite map in the playlist. For that, though, you have to be on a good team, which is impossible if you're going in solo (which it looks like you've been doing for the last couple games). Hemo is also the only map left in the game with any decent vehicle combat - Wayont is too small for good Hog stuff, and while Abridged is better, it's just a bizarrely designed map. Lam Lam is about half the size it needs to be, and base-base sniping on Trident makes it unbearable. But yeah, I recommend rolling with a party (even 3 or 4 guys will help), it'll make the stuff you hate about the map easier to swallow.

Plus, with Headlong coming, there's no need to play anything else in there.

daedalius

Havok said:
I can only speak for myself, but when Hemorrhage goes right, it's amazing - and that's why its probably my favorite map in the playlist. For that, though, you have to be on a good team, which is impossible if you're going in solo (which it looks like you've been doing for the last couple games). Hemo is also the only map left in the game with any decent vehicle combat - Wayont is too small for good Hog stuff, and while Abridged is better, it's just a bizarrely designed map. Lam Lam is about half the size it needs to be, and base-base sniping on Trident makes it unbearable. But yeah, I recommend rolling with a party (even 3 or 4 guys will help), it'll make the stuff you hate about the map easier to swallow.

Plus, with Headlong coming, there's no need to play anything else in there.

More like the last ALL, haha.

I should make friends that actually play halo.

Retro

You know, all this talk of BTB maps... Zoolader and I were planning to put together a vehicle-level BTB map but we never got passed the early planning stages. I wish I had more pieces, my Silent Cartographer-inspired island map was pretty cool.

Maybe I'll need to jump into Forge, though isn't the new Hang' Em' High supposed to have a ton of new Forge options, or did I imagine reading that somewhere?

Speaking of forge, Id love Halo4 to have something akin to far crys map editior. Its pretty unlikely i doubt the Blam! engine or w.e variation of it their using now (fyrewulf will know) would ever support something like that but it would seriously improve forge 10 fold, The problem with forge now is if i want to create a nice hill i have to spend half my budget and deal with zflickering and lag because of my awesome hill.

Edit: looks like my reach disc is screwed up, disc is having trouble booting, great just what i need.

feel

halo 3's population seems to have taken a big hit with the big online games coming out lately, it's getting much slower to get into games even in the Slayer playlists... sigh.. CEA playlists better be good

MrBig said:
2h GMT -5 for some american servers at least
Thanks its redundant now, Epic is pissing about with the DLC its been "delayed" Ye that on disc dlc unlock iv piad for twice via season pass and the £100 epic edition is delayed for "technical reasons". Raging now.

PNut

Banned
Kuroyume said:
They should pull the plug on H3. I need more people for my friends list.

sfbI2.gif

daedalius

StalkerUKCG said:
StalkerUKCG add me bromango i likely wont be on till i sort out a replacement halo reach disc

Psh, like I'll be playing anything but anniversary maps after it comes out. Of course, playing with the Reach disc with the maps installed is probably more flexible...

Added

Hyper, how do I get the flaming ODST helmet?!

daedalius said:
Psh, like I'll be playing anything but anniversary maps after it comes out. Of course, playing with the Reach disc with the maps installed is probably more flexible...

Added

I can launch reach maps "providing i have it installed" via CE:A can i not. Unless magic happens ill just wait till then.

Top Bottom