• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT7| What are They to Say Now?

daedalius

StalkerUKCG said:
I can launch reach maps "providing i have it installed" via CE:A can i not. Unless magic happens ill just wait till then.

I really am not sure, but you'd certainly think that would work. Guess we'll find out soon enough.

daedalius said:
I really am not sure, but you'd certainly think that would work. Guess we'll find out soon enough.

Pretty sure they said since the multiplayer component on the CE:A disc is essentially the reach component then it detects the maps stored in the reach install, Would be magical if i could switch to reach campaign lobby from the CE:A disc but thats asking too much

Karl2177

StalkerUKCG said:
I expect they will pretty soon.
1t0m.jpg

Karl2177 said:
Halo 4 is due out in less that 12 month having 3 games running at the same time isnt viable for any company. Even if halo 3 is pretty unmanned its still server space they could be using for "better" things. I expect halo 4 beta sometime around july* with a september launch i wouldnt be surprised if by april halo 3 servers are gone.

Hey You

StalkerUKCG said:
Halo 4 is due out in less that 12 month having 3 games running at the same time isnt viable for any company. Even if halo 3 is pretty unmanned its still server space they could be using for "better" things. I expect halo 4 beta sometime around july* with a september launch i wouldnt be surprised if by april halo 3 servers are gone.
I don't think Microsoft is hurting for server space. I'm sure if Halo 2 was a X360 game, it would still be online.

Other publishers have 3+ games out and they are still online.

PNut

Banned
StalkerUKCG said:

Halo 3 will shut down when the new Xbox is released. What does "server space" have to do with it anyway? Lol at "better" things too.

FyreWulff

The 360 version of Live can now selectively allow different titles to connect to it. They set a title to not be allowed and you get knocked off when you sign into it, like the Halo 3 beta.

OXbox Live they couldn't do that. They didn't have the ability to make it so only Halo 2 could connect but no other OXbox game.

It seemed like the main reason they killed off OG Live was to cut the final support thread for the original Xbox. They no longer have to train support for it and to create new accounts for your OXbox you needed a 360 anyway (unless you had hoarded 2 month and connection kit codes).

One would hope that Microsoft is a bit more forward thinking now about long term support, but I'm not going to put a lot of faith in Halo 3, ODST, Reach and 4 working on the internet more than 5 years past the launch of the next console. They're kind of at the whim of the shareholders there.

I also don't have much faith that Halo 3 is ever going to see another playlist update due to that reason as well. It is in BAD need of one to focus the population down. I'd like to play it more but it's really hard to do it when you only have so much time and it takes 15 minutes to find a match. It'd be nice to see one though.

Hey You said:
I don't think Microsoft is hurting for server space. I'm sure if Halo 2 was a X360 game, it would still be online.

Other publishers have 3+ games out and they are still online.

And other publishers dont, Its not viable from a financial sense to keep H3 running that constant stat tracking cant be cheap. Once Halo 4 is out Reach and Halo 4 will have a large share of the player base the few thousand left on halo 3 wont matter to microsoft. What was the actual reason Halo 2 shut down?. We didnt get any improvements from it

Hey You

StalkerUKCG said:
And other publishers dont, Its not viable from a financial sense to keep H3 running that constant stat tracking cant be cheap. Once Halo 4 is out Reach and Halo 4 will have a large share of the player base the few thousand left on halo 3 wont matter to microsoft. What was the actual reason Halo 2 shut down?. We didnt get any improvements from it
If they were hurting for server space and costs, then I would think Halo Wars would be shut off before Halo 3.

Havok

daedalius said:
Wow Havok is in Lawrence, KS?

I'm like, 30 minutes from you, hah.
Haha, yeah, I'm finishing up my neuro degree at KU until I figure out my grad school options. You in KC?

Karl2177

StalkerUKCG said:
If Halo 4 is crap, I want an online Halo game that I can enjoy. They took down H2, and that just leaves 3 for me.

Hey You said:
If they were hurting for server space and costs, then I would think Halo Wars would be shut off before Halo 3.
And it was going to be a few month back it was only by popular demand they extended it but that wasnt indefinatly sooner or later microsoft will just fuck it and just turn them off.

lybertyboy

Thinks the Evil Empire is just misunderstood.
StalkerUKCG said:
And it was going to be a few month back it was only by popular demand they extended it but that wasnt indefinatly sooner or later microsoft will just fuck it and just turn them off.
Halo Wars multiplayer was never going to be taken offline. The only thing that was explored was discontinuing the online stats. However, some very talented engineers on our services team was able to find a solution that worked from a business & player perspective.

lybertyboy said:
Halo Wars multiplayer was never going to be taken offline. The only thing that was explored was discontinuing the online stats. However, some very talented engineers on our services team was able to find a solution that worked from a business & player perspective.
Ahh sorry my confusion, Can you speak at all about halo 3's future?

feel

Shutting down Halo 3 would be the biggest "fuck you" imaginable by 343i towards me and I would just move away from the franchise right there and never look back.

Just reading the talk about that right after having two really fun games back to back (valhalla and pit) depresses me to no end.

Halo 3 isn't going to be shut down anytime soon. The only foreseeable way it gets shut down is if MS shuts down 360 games at some point during the next consoles life (I doubt that will happen).

lybertyboy

Thinks the Evil Empire is just misunderstood.
StalkerUKCG said:
Ahh sorry my confusion, Can you speak at all about halo 3's future?
We have no plans to discontinue support for Halo 3 anytime soon. Not sure where this is coming from.

Halo 2 was a unique situation as Fyre already pointed out.

feel

lybertyboy said:
We have no plans to discontinue support for Halo 3 anytime soon. Not sure where this is coming from.

Thank you so much for this post, really needed it right now. Halo 3 is the only truly good online game that exists for me.

lybertyboy said:

Great news, Dont get me wrong i never wanted it to go, it just seemed likely to me for some reason that Halo3 wouldnt have long left with the small player base the game currently has

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics
StalkerUKCG said:

September 2012 - Halo 4

October 2012 - Grand Theft Auto V

November 2012 - Assassin's Creed III, Black Ops 2, other games

Me - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HY-03vYYAjA

Homeboyd

Or for FPS' for that matter...?

What I'm referring to specifically is, what new 'feature' or game mode do think 343 could add to Halo 4 that hasn't yet been seen in Halo (or an FPS in general)?

Over the years we've seen the following additions:

Multiplayer
-- New objective gametypes
-- Invasion
-- New slayer variants
-- Equipment/AA's
-- Etc...

Firefight
-- FF 2.0
-- Matchmaking component

Theater

Custom games

Forge
-- Forge 2.0 and Forge World
-- General map editing/creation with other FPS games

Not yet explored for Halo that we've seen in other FPS':

A "Mini-mission" or "Spec-Ops" kind of mode where you complete small side-missions. Matchmaking for custom games would be nice, but that is an additional service/feature to something that already exists. I'm looking for brand new features.

So where do you think 343 will take Halo next? Do you think they'll stick with what they know works and expand on it (FF 3.0, Forge 3.0, etc..) or do you think they'll bring something brand new to the Halo table (or even the FPS table)? If so, what's left to explore? What more do you want from a Halo (or FPS) game?

(kinectcommentsnotallowed)

FyreWulff

StalkerUKCG said:
Great news, Dont get me wrong i never wanted it to go, it just seemed likely to me for some reason that Halo3 wouldnt have long left with the small player base the game currently has

Needs condensamanjaro badly. I made a suggestion before, but I can't find it via search. I think it was something like this:

Ranked:

Lone Wolves (required for achievements, no DLC req'd) 10 man FFA, configures with 7
Team Slayer (required for achievements, no DLC req'd) 4v4
Team Doubles (All DLC req'd) 2v2

Social:

Social Slayer 5v5
Big Team Battle (all DLC required) 6v6-8v8
Multi Team (all DLC required) 2v2v2v2

7 on the 7th:

Team Grab Bag ( Action Sack + Social Objective + Team SWAT + Team Snipers, All DLC Required) 4v4

Idea being condensation of all the playlists downwards and emphasizing unique experiences for each one to reduce redundancy.

People WILL lose their favorite playlist in the contraction, but it just has to happen, otherwise deleting only one playlist is missing the point. Of course, it's also somewhat constrained by certain playlists needing to exist due to achievements.

Sean P.

Ramirez said:
I can't believe you traded that system signed by all of those guys for a freaking cat helmet.

What kind of a cat helmet fits on a human head?

Can you actually see out of it?

Yea amazingly well, just can't see up or down as readily, but it barely impairs vision at all

Karl2177

Homeboyd said:

What I'm referring to specifically is, what new 'feature' or game mode do think 343 could add to Halo 4 that hasn't yet been seen in Halo (or an FPS in general)?

Multiplayer
-- Invasion
-- New slayer variants
-- Equipment/AA's
-- Etc...

Firefight
-- FF 2.0
-- Matchmaking component

Theater

Custom games

Forge

A "Mini-mission" or "Spec-Ops" kind of mode where you complete small side-missions. Matchmaking for custom games would be nice, but that is an additional service/feature to something that already exists. I'm looking for brand new features.

So where do you think 343 will take Halo next? Do you think they'll stick with what they know works and expand on it (FF 3.0, Forge 3.0, etc..) or do you think they'll bring something brand new to the Halo table (or even the FPS table)? If so, what's left to explore? What more do you want from a Halo (or FPS) game?

I would post something a bit longer, but it's late and I'm trolling on Facebook, so I'm gonna link to something I posted earlier and redo it a bit later(tomorrow).

Retro

Homeboyd said:
What's next for Halo (Or for FPS' for that matter...?)

Definitely want to see true map-editing in Forge; being able to raise hills, create valleys, etc. would ensure I actually never play Matchmaking ever again.

I know it flies in the face of Traditional Halo, but I would love to see the Forerunner Planet handled like ODST's New Mombasa hub. A huge, artificial wilderness with all of these ancient machines and drones flying overhead, and you're just a lil' ol' Master Chief on a great big world that could stomp you out easily. You'd still progress linearly through the stages (as you did in ODST), but in between the set pieces is the unnerving landscapes.

Hide all / most of the unlockable Armory stuff and I would happily hunt all over the place for them (and it's less grindy than cR).

I'd like to see more Armory options, but that's kind of a given at this point.

I'd like to see more done to make certain weapons stand out more, rather than just being part of the sandbox because they're staples. I mentioned a few pages back that the AR could be improved by changing how Grenades function when you carry it; instead of throwing them, they're fired out of an under-slung Launcher. This allows the AR to be a mid/close-range weapon, but have long-range capabilities because it can chuck a grenade across the map without having to look way up. Could bring the stun back to the Plasma Rifle too as long as it's not too cheap, and I mentioned removing AAs and letting a forward-only evade remain as a function of the Energy Sword. Stuff like that.

And... um... some way to punish team-killers, quitters, etc., but that'll never happen.

heckfu said:
OT here, but in case anyone needs a new GIF...here's Philip Rivers telling you about his worst day ever!

http://gif.mocksession.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/10/RIVERS-WORST-DAY-EVER.gif[IMG][/QUOTE]
haha I'm a Chargers fan and that gif is hilarious :D

Sean P.

Barrow Roll said:
Looks wicked in that shot.

I love it, it's truly well made, mad respect to whoever they hired out to make them.

I'm probably going to redo the inner padding at some point so it fits me better, and that chin piece isn't perfect, but it's so legit. I can't even flex it at all haha, it's really dense and feels real.

tgEvd.jpg

BONUS:
http://i.imgur.com/qWnap.jpg

lawlz

Homeboyd said:

Multiplayer
-- Invasion
-- New slayer variants
-- Equipment/AA's
-- Etc...

Firefight
-- FF 2.0
-- Matchmaking component

Theater

Custom games

Forge

I want this. Like Firefight, but you're on the offensive instead of bunkering down and defending one spot. You get points for kills and multikills, same as in Firefight. Make it like F.E.A.R.'s Instant Action mode or Bulletstorm's Echoes mode (at least, that's what I think it was called).

daedalius said:
Hyper, how do I get the flaming ODST helmet?!
It's a flaming Mark IV helmet! God dammit. lol. Okay that was a bad joke. You got the Avatar helmet if you pre-ordered the Noble MapPack at Gamestop. I got the code from Sai-Kun. (<3)

Top Bottom