• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT7| What are They to Say Now?

Devin Olsen said:
Are you referring to Grunts Funeral?

I am pretty sure it will just be packaged INSIDE the first wave of game cases.

Ahhh, i thought it would be outside since it was a pre-order bonus rather than a day 1 bonus.

Cocopjojo said:
What is that, like $5

8,000 of your worthless monotone currency ;)

wwm0nkey said:
We usually get games in like a week before at my store, I know we started getting UC3 last week.
So you're saying they could have Skyrim sitting in the back right now? Unguarded, unprotected?

Brb, getting my lockpicks and crowbar.

daedalius

Didn't expect to see Reach sandbox arguments in the Gears3 OT, not a fan of a lot of the things SAGE decided to do(but don't we cover this all the time in here? heh). I wonder if he was behind the added player-inertia too...

I remember a vidoc where they were saying he tore down all the physics of the Warthog and rebuilt them, and now everyone says that Reach's Warthog is like the worst one.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
Cocopjojo said:
What is that, like $5

Dunno. Made an appointment with my bank manager to see if he can come up with a proper estimate.

20090824_monopoly_man_18.jpg

Blue Ninja said:
So you're saying they could have Skyrim sitting in the back right now? Unguarded, unprotected?

Brb, getting my lockpicks and crowbar.
I hope your Security skill is high enough, otherwise you're going to break a lot of lockpicks.

daedalius said:
Didn't expect to see Reach sandbox arguments in the Gears3 OT, not a fan of a lot of the things he decided to do(but don't we cover this all the time in here? heh). I wonder if he was behind the added player-inertia too...

I remember a vidoc where they were saying he tore down all the physics of the Warthog and rebuilt them, and now everyone says that Reach's Warthog is like the worst one.
Huh? Who are you talking about? How does what Sage did relate to Gears?

daedalius

Dax01 said:
Huh? Who are you talking about? How does what Sage did relate to Gears?

Some people in the Gears OT were talking about Reach. That's all. Apparently in my editing of what I was saying I never actually said who 'HE' was; that may have been confusing.

Dani have I told you how much I love the FUD gallery? I've got some downloading to do.

Sai-kun

Banned
Devin Olsen said:
Are you referring to Grunts Funeral?

I am pretty sure it will just be packaged INSIDE the first wave of game cases.

This might be the case. I work at GS as well (don't be hatin, it's w/e), so once the game is out I *might* be able to procure some extra codes for folks who missed out.

Tawpgun

daedalius said:
Some people in the Gears OT were talking about Reach. That's all. Apparently in my editing of what I was saying I never actually said who 'HE' was; that may have been confusing.

Dani have I told you how much I love the FUD gallery? I've got some downloading to do.
Essentially equating the Sawed Off to Armor Lock in terms of terrible decision.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
daedalius said:
Dani have I told you how much I love the FUD gallery?

So much Halo goodness. I just added a few extra pieces last night.

Art by Ryan Demita.

Art by Marco Nelor.

Also added a Halo Wars section. Plenty more Halo Wars stuff to come and I'm sure there's plenty more art to find, particularly Halo 1 and Halo 2 pieces I've seen but not yet acquired and some early Halo 3 multiplayer concept art I'm after.

Glad you're finding it useful. Halo's art can be amazing. So much talent from hundreds of artists. And always more to come.

daedalius

Slightly Live said:
So much Halo goodness. I just added a few extra pieces last night.

Art by Ryan Demita.

Art by Marco Nelor.

Also added a Halo Wars section. Plenty more Halo Wars stuff to come and I'm sure there's plenty more art to find, particularly Halo 1 and Halo 2 pieces I've seen but not yet acquired and some early Halo 3 multiplayer concept art I'm after.

Glad you're finding it useful. Halo's art can be amazing. So much talent from hundreds of artists. And always more to come.

Definitely, FUD is always open in my tabs now for inspiration ;)

I LOVE this process shot at the top here: http://thegallery.forwarduntodawn.com/index.php/Halo-Cancelled/Halo-MMO/Forerunner

However, it looks like 2 is the final, and 1 and 3 are process. 4&5 are awesome detail zoom shots.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
daedalius said:
Definitely, FUD is always open in my tabs now for inspiration ;)

I LOVE this process shot at the top here: http://thegallery.forwarduntodawn.com/index.php/Halo-Cancelled/Halo-MMO/Forerunner

However, it looks like 2 is the final, and 1 and 3 are process. 4&5 are awesome detail zoom shots.

Yeah, I think you're right. I changed the order for 2 and 3 so I guess it makes better sense.

This reminds me.

DEAR 343,

PLEASE RELEASE SOME OF THE CONCEPT ART FOR THE CEA REACH MAPS ON WAYPOINT ASAP

THANKS,

A FAN

P.S.

PLEASE DO NOT LEAVE OUT SWEET PIECES OF ART LIKE THIS ONE.

condemned.jpg

=)

daedalius

If I worked at Certain Affinity, I'd post all of my concepts because I know Halo fans love them.

Need to work on that ;)

But I'll sign on

DEAR 343,

PLEASE RELEASE SOME OF THE CONCEPT ART FOR THE CEA REACH MAPS ON WAYPOINT ASAP

THANKS,

A FAN

TheOddOne

Was playing with some randoms, played a few matches with them and everything was A OK. Some people left, but most of them stayed. I got grouped with new players and we wrecked them. One by one they quite. It's funny in retrospect .

Sai-kun said:
This might be the case. I work at GS as well (don't be hatin, it's w/e), so once the game is out I *might* be able to procure some extra codes for folks who missed out.
It would definitely be appreciated if 343 doesn't offer some other way for those that didn't preorder/get the first run.

PS. Hypertrooper knows Halo honour.

FyreWulff

Hydranockz said:
Do you have to do it in Local Firefight? Or is there an MM variant that lasts that long?

You have to do the weekly in local custom firefight. Nothing in matchmaking goes up to five sets.

Once again as a reminder: You have to play up to set 5, the challenge will pop once Set 5 starts.

FyreWulff said:
You have to do the weekly in local custom firefight. Nothing in matchmaking goes up to five sets.

Once again as a reminder: You have to play up to set 5, the challenge will pop once Set 5 starts.
Cool beans. I did it earlier with Gui and Zalin using that 1,000,000 in 10 minutes gametype, cuz, you know, we're awesome :p

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Devolution said:
Added.

There's a thread I'm about to go ballistic in on OT side so if I get banned. You know what happened.
Not worth it. The point has been made thousands of times in dozens of threads, but lethargic brocode GAF will never change.

NVM, I'm a hypocrite and can't resist diving in there again.

Devin Olsen said:
I had better be on it.

Uh yeah. How could I forget Devbro?

Lyphen said:
Not worth it. The point has been made thousands of times in dozens of threads, but lethargic brocode GAF will never change.

NVM, I'm a hypocrite and can't resist diving in there again.

Taking a lot of my self-control not to go into a long bannable screed of how many fucking terrible people are in that thread.

daedalius said:
Didn't expect to see Reach sandbox arguments in the Gears3 OT, not a fan of a lot of the things SAGE decided to do(but don't we cover this all the time in here? heh). I wonder if he was behind the added player-inertia too...

He tore it apart and rebuilt is several times. At one point, it apparently handled almost nothing like the warthog from any of the other games.

wwm0nkey

Tunavi said:
So its just automatic? or did 343 trigger it?
Automatic system.

Really really hope Halo 4 has a map that changes depending on the season/Holiday I remember seeing the Coagulation picture in Halo 2 where it was covered in snow and thought it would actually have snow when Christmas hit lol

wwm0nkey said:
Automatic system.

Really really hope Halo 4 has a map that changes depending on the season/Holiday I remember seeing the Coagulation picture in Halo 2 where it was covered in snow and thought it would actually have snow when the Christmas hit lol

That would have been so cool.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Steelyuhas said:
He tore it apart and rebuilt is several times. At one point, it apparently handled almost nothing like the warthog from any of the others games.
Damn, this is the first I've heard about all that.

I'm literally sitting here shaking my head, unable to find the words for what I bad design decision that was. So many terrible decisions in Reach, it's baffling.

Havok

omg.kittens said:
Damn, this is the first I've heard about all that.

I'm literally sitting here shaking my head, unable to find the words for what I bad design decision that was. So many terrible decisions in Reach, it's baffling.
They ended up having Jaime Griesemer (I'm unclear on whether he had left the studio or not at that point) come in to tweak it at the eleventh hour. Just imagine the state it would have been in before he got his hands on it.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
Steelyuhas said:
He tore it apart and rebuilt is several times. At one point, it apparently handled almost nothing like the warthog from any of the others games.

So why did he leave it like that and ship the game? =P

Seriously, the Reach Hog is trash. A single speck of dirt, or the wrong shade on a texture can send the Hog flipping erratically. It's like they forgot the Hog is suppose to drive over non-flat, uneven surfaces.

I was disappointed fixing the hog wasn't within the scope of the TU but 343 had better seriously reconsider how the hog handles going forward. I went from spending countless hours being a proud wheelman in Halo 3 to avoiding the Hog altogether outside of Objective runs.

Still not as bad the Banshee.

It seems to me that the sandbox doesn't have much to do with each other, everything was kinda made on its own and thrown together. That can't be how it is but that's how it plays

FyreWulff

The hog was rebuilt before for Halo 2.

I preferred the Reach beta version of it though. Then they got scared and reverted it back to Halo 3-style.

Slightly Live said:

Seriously, the Reach Hog is trash. A single speck of dirt, or the wrong shade on a texture can send the Hog flipping erratically. It's like they forgot the Hog is suppose to drive over non-flat, uneven surfaces.

The Halo 1, Halo 3, and Reach hogs all act like this. Halo 2's hog didn't because the vast majority of times you were driving the hog in multiplayer, you did not have full physics because you weren't the host.

Unless everyone's memory selectively removes the instances where you were able to easily tip a warthog over by just firing on the side of it with the BR in Halo 3.

The Reach beta hog hugged the ground, felt like the tires were actually gripping the ground as it moved forward, and overall felt neat. Then they just had someone come in and go "let's make this bitch work like Halo 3 again"

Slightly Live said:

I was disappointed fixing the hog wasn't within the scope of the TU but 343 had better seriously reconsider how the hog handles going forward. I went from spending countless hours being a proud wheelman in Halo 3 to avoiding the Hog altogether outside of Objective runs.

For me, when we've got stuff like the Banshee in Reach, the warthog seems incredible. The warthog in Reach is certainly not great, but I don't think it's that bad.

Slightly Live said:

Heh, I wrote pretty much an identical post out but didn't want to feel like posting it, so I'll simply say I agree, very strongly.

Karl2177

FyreWulff said:
The hog was rebuilt before for Halo 2.

I preferred the Reach beta version of it though. Then they got scared and reverted it back to Halo 3-style.

The Halo 1, Halo 3, and Reach hogs all act like this. Halo 2's hog didn't because the vast majority of times you were driving the hog in multiplayer, you did not have full physics because you weren't the host.

Unless everyone's memory selectively removes the instances where you were able to easily tip a warthog over by just firing on the side of it with the BR in Halo 3.

The Reach beta hog hugged the ground, felt like the tires were actually gripping the ground as it moved forward, and overall felt neat. Then they just had someone come in and go "let's make this bitch work like Halo 3 again"
Only if you were going at top speed and/or weren't on all four wheels. It's nothing like Reach, where a single DMR shot realigns your wheels. Personally, I was a huge fan of the H3 Warthog handling. I don't remember the beta hog too well, and there weren't many gameplay vids of it in action for me to make a judgment after the fact. Halo 1's felt like it had too much inertia, and Halo 2's was okay.

Top Bottom