• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT7| What are They to Say Now?

FyreWulff

Steelyuhas said:
Weapon timers apparently.

I haven't played it myself.
Nor will I

Yeah, I'm not going in there either. My career stats are currently free of any games in there and I hope to continue that.

If it's weapon timers, isn't that using drop timing? The last time there was weapon issues it was MLG's fault for mislabeling something.

Letters said:
Don't care if it's skillful or not, burst felt great and I want it back, single shot rifles feel pathetic and awkward to me unless they're extremely powerful, like the sniper rifle. I want the BR and a decent pistol in Halo 4.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UHrpjRnvl10

Burst fire unscoped single fire scoped, 4 shots burst or 7 shots on single shot to kill. Speed up the time between shots when scoped so its above that of the DMR.

Have pretty large bullet spread at distance when burst fire.

CyReN

Ramirez said:
Wouldn't MLG just send them the gametypes? How do you know MLG isn't mucking it up?

I can't see Killa KC (guy that does MLG game testing) screwing up giving Bungie/343 their playlist for a solid year straight. I don't recall any issues in Halo 3 (if so very minor).

Blinding

FyreWulff said:
If it's weapon timers, isn't that using drop timing? The last time there was weapon issues it was MLG's fault for mislabeling something.

It's not an issue on MLG's end, it's an issue with 343i's implementation of the gametypes into matchmaking. The weapon times are fine in the custom game gametypes but aren't in the playlist, which points to whatever conversion they do for matchmaking gametypes screwing something up.

Retro

Random, probably definitely stupid thought about Halo 4 (with minor Grasslands Spoilers):

So, from what I've been hearing,
there are Spartan IVs now and they're not trained/augmented from birth, but are instead adult volunteers.
So what if Halo 4's Multiplayer has you start your career as a regular run-of-the-mill marine (customized face, standard-issue armor, etc.) and as you progress through the ranks, you eventually
become a Spartan IV and unlock Mjolnir armor components and additional customization options.

It needn't be just a cosmetic change either (of course, if players want to, they can keep their non-spartan appearance.) A "Marine" Playlist could be built that incorporates several popular gametypes into one group; stuff like SWAT, Juggernaut, or Infection could utilize "Marine"-themed settings; basic weapons, no shields or Armor Abilities (assuming they cross into Halo 4, which they probably won't), maybe even more emphasis on vehicles.

For example, it would completely absorb SWAT matches, and Marine versions of Juggernaut or Infection would benefit from having teams visibly different; for example, imagine Marines vs. Elite Juggernaut, or Spartans vs. Infected Marines.

Yeah, it's a terrible idea. Still, I like the idea of starting as a Marine and then
transitioning to a Spartan IV
. I kinda liked that you weren't a badass Spartan in ODST, it might be cool to kind of start there and then ramp up to Halo 4 levels of awesome...

PsychoRaven said:
HELL NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That is honestly the worst idea I've ever heard.

That's what I figured too, but it's not like we're doing much else besides waiting for CE:A. I did edit it down quite a bit though, but you've nicely preserved it's original awfulness for future generations. Thanks

ElRenoRaven

Retro said:
Random, probably definitely stupid thought about Halo 4 (with minor Grasslands Spoilers):

So, from what I've been hearing,
there are Spartan IVs now and they're not trained/augmented from birth, but are instead adult volunteers.
So what if Halo 4's Multiplayer has you start your career as a regular run-of-the-mill marine (customized face, standard-issue armor, etc.) and as you progress through the ranks, you eventually
become a Spartan IV and unlock Mjolnir armor components and additional customization options.

It needn't be just a cosmetic change either. The early ranks could play a bit like SWAT matches; emphasis on headshots, no shields, no armor abilities, (assuming AAs make the cross into H4, which they probably won't), etc. with a smaller weapon sandbox and maybe a handful of the maps. Get you used to how Halo plays before you get the full experience.

Why 'wash out' the Halo experience at the early ranks? Because Halo doesn't play like anything else out there, at least not once you get beyond 'aim and shoot at people to win' comparisons. You pick up weapons on the map, have regenerating armor, can take more than a few shots before you die, there are melee, fantasy weapons... all of the things that make Halo Halo, but can be a bit much for people coming from... ahem... 'other shooters'. Keep it simple for the first few hours to slowly build up all of the awesome stuff that entails Halo.

Start with the basic weapons, move to more advanced ones, introduce vehicles, armor abilities (again, if they make it into 4), etc. I'm not saying the whole game should be staggered like this, but maybe the first couple of hours of multi-player. Of course, if players want to, they can keep their non-spartan appearance.

It would also be neat to build a playlist around "Marine mode", replacing SWAT and expanding that particular gametype with additional features that basic SWAT can't handle at the moment. "Marine" playlists could also include more "Classic"-style features, with AAs and the move/jump speeds reduced.

Might also be useful for stuff like Juggernaut or Infection where having the teams visibly different would make sense (for example, imagine Marines vs. Elite Juggernaut or Spartans vs. Infected Marines.)

Yeah, it's a terrible idea. Still, I like the idea of starting as a Marine and then
transitioning to a Spartan IV
. I kinda liked that you weren't a badass Spartan in ODST, it might be cool to kind of start there and then ramp up to Halo 4 levels of awesome...

HELL NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That is honestly the worst idea I've ever heard.

FyreWulff

CyReN said:
I can't see Killa KC (guy that does MLG game testing) screwing up giving Bungie/343 their playlist for a solid year straight. I don't recall any issues in Halo 3 (if so very minor).

Yeah, but Halo 3 also had a lot less knobs and levels for gametypes.

Havok

HiredN00bs said:
Returning the franchise to single-shot precision weapons was a step in the right direction, in my opinion. Burst-fire weapons hurt skill separation because sloppy aiming will still get shots in, especially coupled with aim-assist like Halo 2's. I'd be willing to entertain a good argument on why it promotes more skillful play. ?
I don't know that I'm equipped to make an argument based on skill, but I do think that it all depends on how they limit the range of the weapon. I doubt that bloom is going to make a strong return in 4, but with a single-shot weapon that also has crazy range, you end up with a cross-map massacre on big maps. Putting a zero bloom DMR in Hemo would be a complete disaster. Even the default DMR is capable of doing more than it should.

With a burst fire weapon that loses aim assist at range, its effectiveness is naturally limited by the temporal delay of the burst on a moving target, even without an artificial spread. Crossmapping on Coagulation would net you 2/3 of a hit at best, while a single shot is all or nothing, trending towards 'all' in the case of a no-bloom weapon.

All of that depends on the tertiary stuff they do to the utility weapon, like bullet dropoff at its maximum range (which hopefully isn't DMR-level).

PNut

Banned
CyReN said:

Played a few games earlier and didn't notice any weapon timing problems. What maps?

CyReN

PNut said:
Played a few games earlier and didn't notice any weapon timing problems. What maps?

Weapon time issues, with the sniper mostly from what I've heard.

This also isn't MLG fault, this is 343 from the sounds of it.
pzftt.jpg

daedalius

Havok said:
I don't know that I'm equipped to make an argument based on skill, but I do think that it all depends on how they limit the range of the weapon. I doubt that bloom is going to make a strong return in 4, but with a single-shot weapon that also has crazy range, you end up with a cross-map massacre on big maps. Putting a zero bloom DMR in Hemo would be a complete disaster. Even the default DMR is capable of doing more than it should.

With a burst fire weapon that loses aim assist at range, its effectiveness is naturally limited by the temporal delay of the burst on a moving target, even without an artificial spread. Crossmapping on Coagulation would net you 2/3 of a hit at best, while a single shot is all or nothing, trending towards 'all' in the case of a no-bloom weapon.

All of that depends on the tertiary stuff they do to the utility weapon, like bullet dropoff at its maximum range (which hopefully isn't DMR-level).

Oh my, that is just terrifying to think about...

heckfu

Banned
Hey, so I got BF3 and don't love it. I've already used up the code to play online (I think it's 800 ms points otherwise) but first one to reply gets it mailed to your house/apt/bungalow on the free.

I guess I should stipulate US only. Love you foreigners, though.
except hyper

cory021

Neo Member
heckfu said:
Hey, so I got BF3 and don't love it. I've already used up the code to play online (I think it's 800 ms points otherwise) but first one to reply gets it mailed to your house/apt/bungalow on the free.

except hyper
for free?

ElRenoRaven

heckfu said:

except hyper

Wow. You're just going to give it away? That's crazy.

ElRenoRaven

heckfu said:
Yeah! Well...I guess if enough people are interested I could make this fun. Any ideas?

Oh I refuse to play anything EA so I don't care who gets it myself. lol

But I'd say give it to Cory since he did meet your criteria.

ElRenoRaven

Homeboyd said:
Yeah, give it to this guy.

Yea I agree. He's the only one that has shown any interest surprisingly enough. I just think it's cool that he's giving it away like that. Just shows you how damn cool Halogaf is.

cory021

Neo Member
PsychoRaven said:
Yea I agree. He's the only one that has shown any interest surprisingly enough. I just think it's cool that he's giving it away like that. Just shows you how damn cool Halogaf is.
Or how uncool BF-gaf is :p

I am kind of surprised no one else jumped on this though, there's like a 5 minute gap between the two posts.

Again, thanks.

Homeboyd

cory021 said:
Or how uncool BF-gaf is :p

I am kind of surprised no one else jumped on this though, there's like a 5 minute gap between the two posts.

Again, thanks.
I thought about it.. then..

Ehh.. your reasoning was better than mine. You deserve it more.

heckfu said:

except hyper
Seriously WTF? WHY! WHY! WHAT DID I DO TO YOU?! =( Did I sing "Sweet Home Alabama" yesterday? ;^( Or are you angry that I had the better halloween costume yesterday?

CyReN said:
Weapon time issues, with the sniper mostly from what I've heard.

This also isn't MLG fault, this is 343 from the sounds of it.
http://i.imgur.com/pzftt.jpg[/MG][/QUOTE]
Do we have more information about this? I don't know how 343 screwed it up? Like some said already, isn't it only: MLG sends the gametypes, and 343 puts them into matchmaking? Or did 343i not upload the new gametypes in MM today?

MrBig

Ramirez said:
So you write off some of the best games available because of their publisher?
Indeed.
If I had the same beliefs I wouldn't be buying Bungie's new games under Activision, or have bought BF3.

Havok said:

Just because it's a single shot weapon doesn't mean the range has to be insane, it's just the DMR was designed specifically to have great range.

Ramirez said:
So you write off some of the best games available because of their publisher?

Yeah agreed, why would someone do that?

Heckfu, I'm sorry to see that you didn't like BF3 much.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
heckfu said:
Yeah, I see the merit of it but it's just not for me, I guess.
I feel ya. I got a chance to play the retail version yesterday at a friend's house, and I'm still a hater. I'll stick to my cybernetic super soldier arena shooter franchise, I think. Halo <3.

daedalius said:
I see that the pistol is still secondary in ZB Slayer...

Oversight? Its pretty obnoxious.
I dunno, I hated the Turbo Pistol at first, but now I kind of like it. The mag size is stupidly small, but other then that, it's fun to use.

TrounceX said:
Anybody want to play TU Beta?

I can't sleep :(
Yes! GT = popular revolt, hit me upppp.

Kuroyume

Banned
Argghhh!!!! Should have made that a contest. Bought BF3 for PC but I can't even play it. Makes my laptop too hot and then crashes after a few minutes of playing. D:

heckfu

Banned
Kuroyume said:
Argghhh!!!! Should have made that a contest. Bought BF3 for PC but I can't even play it. Makes my laptop too hot and then crashes after a few minutes of playing. D:

Sorry, friend. Maybe I'll do a contest for Deus Ex. Another game that just fell flat with me. Go on, everyone...judge me.

DO IT.

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics
Just got back from my Organizational Management class where I had an interesting conversation with one of my friends (who I only recently found out was a gamer).

Him: "So what do you play on the Xbox mostly?"

Me: "Halo, but for now, I'm doing Battlefield 3 and waiting for other game releases in November. You like Halo?"

Him: "Nah, I stopped after Halo 3."

Me: "Why?"

Him: "I guess I just got tired of the gameplay."

We oogled about locking ourselves in our rooms for Skyrim after that, but I thought that part was interesting.

Domino Theory said:
Just got back from my Organizational Management class where I had an interesting conversation with one of my friends (who I only recently found out was a gamer).

Him: "So what do you play on the Xbox mostly?"

Me: "Halo, but for now, I'm doing Battlefield 3 and waiting for other game releases in November. You like Halo?"

Him: "Nah, I stopped after Halo 3."

Me: "Why?"

Him: "I guess I just got tired of the gameplay."

We oogled about locking ourselves in our rooms for Skyrim after that, but I thought that part was interesting.

I would say that statement is pretty accurate for a lot of people I know.

-Loved CE, probably why they bought an Xbox
-Loved H2, got them into Xbox Live
-Bought H3, got tired of the game/Halo after a little
-Didn't buy Reach or ODST

xxjuicesxx said:
343 should put ranks back into Halo. Holy shit! That would be awesome.
As long as they fixed the algorithm, sure.

*Wins 5 games in a row, rank doesn't change*
*Lose one game, best score on losing team, drop two levels*

-_-

Oh my problem was always

-Win 3 games on your 49.
-Match against a team of Germans and have red bar all game.

Went on a 19-2 run to get my SWAT from a 48 to a 50. That was pretty maddening.

GECK

Thagomizer said:
As long as they fixed the algorithm, sure.

*Wins 5 games in a row, rank doesn't change*
*Lose one game, best score on losing team, drop two levels*

-_-

*Make new account*

*Get 50 in 25 games*

Rank lock really was the worst. Seen people win 30+ straight and not level up.

Top Bottom