• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT7| What are They to Say Now?

Played some invasion, got Boneyard four times in a row and no DLC map appeared, still cool they're looking into the DLC problem.

Hopefully Anniversary sales well and we get tons of new maps to play on.

Striker

Gabotron ES said:
Aren't you excited to play Headhunter on Hang 'em High or Stockpile on Headlong?!

As far as Armor Lock goes, how many playlists is it really in? BTB in Slayer variants only, regular Team Slayer, some moments in Multi-team, and Invasion. It's getting nerfed, so be it, but it's not a common AA across the game. Now, 343, about Evade...

Gabotron ES said:
Played some invasion, got Boneyard four times in a row and no DLC map appeared, still cool they're looking into the DLC problem.

As much as I understand the point of view from the other side, I still wish reach was DLC required in most playlists.

Gabotron ES said:

If you want to play Breakpoint real bad, you can try Premium Battle. It doesn't come up much but it isn't impossible to get it.

daedalius

ElzarTheBam said:
As much as I understand the point of view from the other side, I still wish reach was DLC required in most playlists.

I could have sworn it was required in just about everything in Halo 3 besides regular Team Slayer.

Much better that way.

Striker

daedalius said:
I could have sworn it was required in just about everything in Halo 3 besides regular Team Slayer.

Much better that way.
Not necessarily. It doesn't need to be required in every playlist right now. But BTB sure could use it for Highlands and Breakpoint. Nobody wants to play Wayont or Renegade.

daedalius

Striker said:
Not necessarily. It doesn't need to be required in every playlist right now. But BTB sure could use it for Highlands and Breakpoint. Nobody wants to play Wayont or Renegade.

Oh I'd rather play both of those than Hemorrhage. But there aren't NEARLY enough BTB maps... I love seeing 'Forge World' as like 95% of my BTB games played.

PooBone said:
Halo 3, ODST, and Reach were Holiday 2012. All launched in September.

Hell the only reason Anniversary is coming out 11/15 is because it's day and date with the anniversary of the Xbox launch.
No they weren't. "Holiday 2012" doesn't include September; it's November or December. Judging by Halo's history and videogame release schedules, Halo 4's going to come out in November.
squidhands said:
Because Firefight is simply holding/defending a position, and what I'm talking about is more offensive in nature. Charging a well-defended position is way different than just waiting for enemies to drop out of a ship from your well-defended vantage point. Uplift Reserve's mission (not the FF map) is a great example of what I'd pay many spacebux for as DLC. Actually, I just want the gorram Chopper back.
If you want levels like Uplift Reserve than I agree, but I wouldn't call that level "short, objective-based Firefight levels."

Tha Robbertster said:
If you want to play Breakpoint real bad, you can try Premium Battle. It doesn't come up much but it isn't impossible to get it.
Yeah I know, I played that playlist just for it as it appeared pretty much all the time, now it's nearly impossible...

Striker said:
Aren't you excited to play Headhunter on Hang 'em High or Stockpile on Headlong?!
OMG HYPE!

Havok

Dax01 said:
No they weren't. "Holiday 2012" doesn't include September; it's November or December. Judging by Halo's history and videogame release schedules, Halo 4's going to come out in November.
"Holiday" in the modern release marketing speak is basically anytime after Madden these days. There have been more September Halo shooter releases than any other month now. I don't know how you're extrapolating that to mean November.

I'm not saying that it couldn't be November, but the history doesn't support it like you claim.

Dax01 said:

Reach was for sure marketed as "Fall 2011" and I think 3 and ODST were as well (in their respective years of course).

Havok said:
"Holiday" in the modern release marketing speak is basically anytime after Madden these days. There have been more September Halo shooter releases than any other month now. I don't know how you're extrapolating that to mean November.

I'm not saying that it couldn't be November, but the history doesn't support it like you claim.

"Fall" is after Madden through October, and "Holiday" is November and December. At least that's what I've gathered over the years.

Havok said:
I explained that in my post. If they had meant September, they would have said Fall 2012 or late Summer. Holiday 2012 implies an different time period all together. Coming out around the holidays; Christmas. September isn't around Christmas or when people really start to do their holiday shopping.

Edit: And when I said "judging by Halo's history" to decide which month (November or December) is more likely, I looked at Halo 1 and 2 and concluded November.

Havok said:

"Holiday" = "ncsuDuncan's Birthday" which is in September.

Case closed.

-------
Joking aside, I agree with Dax.
"Holiday" = November and December. Maybe the end of October. Basically, "buy this game for Christmas/Chanukah/etc."

They don't say "Fall" because then people expect the game in September. They don't say "Winter" because that doesn't start until late December.

daedalius said:
Oh I'd rather play both of those than Hemorrhage. But there aren't NEARLY enough BTB maps... I love seeing 'Forge World' as like 95% of my BTB games played.
Don't forget about Timberland and Headlong.

Gabotron ES said:

Although I am against DLC requirements in principal, I kind of feel like BTB needs an all DLC requirement. Right now there is Hemorrhage and a barrage of pretty awful to okay forge maps. All DLC will give it Tempest, Breakpoint, Highlands, Headlong, and Timberland. All real maps, and all better than pretty much anything in the playlist right now.

daedalius

Gabotron ES said:

I'd say I'm salivating ravenously for those new maps, for sure. I loved Headlong in H2, MEMORIES...

Although I am against DLC requirements in principal, I kind of feel like BTB needs an all DLC requirement. Right now there is Hemorrhage and a barrage of pretty awful to okay forge maps. All DLC will give it Tempest, Breakpoint, Highlands, Headlong, and Timberland. All real maps, and all better than pretty much anything in the playlist right now.

Like I said, I could have sworn H3 required all DLC for BTB, because I was ALWAYS playing on the DLC maps in that.

Havok

Somehow I forgot that the Fall moniker even existed. Don't post without sleep, kids.

It'll be interesting to see how Microsoft handles launching with some competition again. The marketing'll have to be something fierce.

Havok said:
Somehow I forgot that the Fall moniker even existed. Don't post without sleep, kids.

It'll be interesting to see how Microsoft handles launching with some competition again. The marketing'll have to be something fierce.
2u59dar.png

does anyone think we could see a gears 3 style dlc implementation, with free maps, delayed release, but no achievements for halo in the future? that is certainly a solid compromise and would get mostly everyone on the same page map-wise.

seeing as halo is microsoft 1st party, i highly doubt it.

pleasantly surprise me though 343!

Karl2177

Havok said:
The marketing'll have to be something fierce.
Hopefully Halo 3 scale again.

Rewatching the teaser trailers for all of the games, aside from the first one, really made me appreciate the value of good music in a trailer. Halo 2's was pretty meh, while Halo 3's was amazing. The E Dorian; so good. ODST's was the best in my opinion. It really captured how ODST should have played. Reach's was pretty meh as well.

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics
I'm just guessing with all of those release dates based on their history. I wouldn't mind if Halo went back to releasing in November.

I just want CEA out so we can stop talking about it and just play it in addition to starting Halo 4's buzz.

Crucio

To launch the next trilogy it would be fitting to release it in November. "Holiday 2012" is just a fail safe in case they need to delay it a month.

Striker

Karl2177 said:
Hopefully Halo 3 scale again.

Rewatching the teaser trailers for all of the games, aside from the first one, really made me appreciate the value of good music in a trailer. Halo 2's was pretty meh, while Halo 3's was amazing. The E Dorian; so good. ODST's was the best in my opinion. It really captured how ODST should have played. Reach's was pretty meh as well.
Because it was a silly teaser trailer.

Commercial trailer eats everything else alive: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NLJkNueuUJE

daedalius said:
I like how they have a snap of just about every new feature they added in H2 there. hopefully for the first H4 trailer we will see a glorious shot of MC snapping off a 3-round burst into the distance.
... while jetpacking into the horizon :lol

Crucio

So, check out Reach's in game November update announcement. It has a picture of AotCR's Cortana scene and I think a new* trailer is up as well?
Not gonna watch it but it probably has more goodies.

Letters said:
It's the trailer from last week.
Ah ok. I don't like watching more then 1-2 trailers for anything so I ignored its existence! :p

daedalius said:
I like how they have a snap of just about every new feature they added in H2 there. hopefully for the first H4 trailer we will see a glorious shot of MC snapping off a 3-round burst into the distance.
ic7akn.jpg

Gabotron ES said:
None, but I will do some magic like I did with Highlands. I have some big plans for Headlong and Timberland.
Shame that CA didn't build an Invasion variant into Headlong.

daedalius said:
Even if its the Halo2 hitscan, low-spread BR?!

I can't help it, I just like the BR so much better than single shot (DMR :( )

The post patch H2 BR behaved basically like a single shot weapon.

Single shot pistol as the human precision weapon or bust!

FyreWulff

Headlong should be easily forgeable into an Invasion map. I've already got a plan done out based off the Halo 2 version - I really hope there's plenty of shield doors to use for the phases, though. Highlands just has crates and more crates.

feel

29xbqtk.jpg

"classic playlists"

I was already bracing for a single grab-bag playlist shitfest of epic proportions so that's nice

daedalius said:
Even if its the Halo2 hitscan, low-spread BR?!

I can't help it, I just like the BR so much better than single shot (DMR :( )
33utjpg.jpg

TheOddOne

squidhands said:
Not gonna lie, Gears 2's campaign DLC was really, really lame. I hope that they've learned their lesson (and this doesn't sound like a scrapped campaign level) and produce something that's as fun as 3's campaign was to play.
Yeah, I have heard that from a lot of people. Never bought it though, but the Gears 3 single player stuff seems to have some great content.

Letters said:
29xbqtk.jpg

"classic playlists"

I was already bracing for a single grab-bag playlist shitfest of epic proportions so that's nice

An objective 4v4 Anniversary playlist with 2-6 people in it at all times confirmed. :/

Seriously though, 4v4 Slayer, Flag, King, Assault and I will play the shit out it. Otherwise, BF3 is awesome.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
I'm reading a book by a local professor at Carleton University about aqueducts.

I hope Halo 4 has Forerunner aqueducts. Pipes are boring.

daedalius

Steelyuhas said:
The post patch H2 BR behaved basically like a single shot weapon.

Single shot pistol as the human precision weapon or bust!

That's fine, its basically the look and sound that I want anyway ;)

BRRRAP-BRRRAP so good.

Hopping on for some BTB, maybe a bit of TU.

ncsuDuncan said:
"Holiday" = "ncsuDuncan's Birthday" which is in September.

Case closed.

-------
Joking aside, I agree with Dax.
"Holiday" = November and December. Maybe the end of October. Basically, "buy this game for Christmas/Chanukah/etc."

They don't say "Fall" because then people expect the game in September. They don't say "Winter" because that doesn't start until late December.
You nearly had the correct answer. Holiday is September. But unfortunately it is my birthday that people are celebrating.

GECK said:
Anyone up for some beta right now? I dare not venture in solo
I don't want to sound mean etc. But who are you? Could you introduce yourself? You don't have to.

Top Bottom