• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT7| What are They to Say Now?

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
God damn, I can't wait to play the CEA maps. The only one that doesn't look good is Damnation. Everything else looks great.

And yeah, I miss Valhalla. I need to get my copy of Halo 3 from my friend...

The Real Napsta said:
The DMR? Why?

Cap the pistol, but the DMR is fine.
Have you tried 8v8 ZB on big maps? it's self explanatory.

And about Hemmorhage being there... no, just replace it with a real remake, teleports and rocks moved and powerups added.

GhaleonEB

lybertyboy said:
Real talk.

When creating the playlists for Halo: Anniversary we hit the hard limit for number of playlists in Reach.

Because of time constraints in testing and certifying upcoming playlists we decided that removing the lowest populated playlist was the lesser of evils in this situation.

There is no malice or apathy intended. When stackranking priorities sometimes things get put on the backburner for a time. We will absolutely continue to look at ways to give Firefight a much needed revamp, but I don't have a timeframe right. Wish I did.
As I said, I'm sympathetic to this. To be fair, a decent chunk of my diatribe should be allocated to Bungie, because seven of those ten months Limited sat idle was on their watch. So you're getting more than your due of angst from me, because you're the ones holding the potato currently, even though you haven't been holding it for that long. Such is the way of things. :p

(As a side note, explanations like that - we're at the playlist limit, something has to go - would be great to have when announcing removals. One thing I wish Bungie did was provide reasoning behind their change lists. Some things are self-explanatory, but for many, we're left asking, "they're doing this why exactly?" In this case you've got a perfectly good reason - we just didn't know what it was.)

Please consider dropping Limited into Score Attack, unchanged, as an interim solution. If there is a game type cap of ten, which this would surpass, nuke one of Rocket Attack or FRG Attack, as they are redundant (identical game types with different heavy ordnance starts). I know you just said you don't have time, but that one thing would go some distance toward filling a niche that is now gone.

For me, when the story of Reach's life cycle is written, the lost potential Firefight had will be the main thing I remember. Both in design - so close, yet so far - and in implementation. For most others it will be about MP, but my love in Reach is Firefight, and it's been rough seeing so little done with it. I'll continue to beat my lonely little drum until Halo 4 lands. :)

daedalius

StalkerUKCG said:
Really, i dont see a huge problem with hemo. It plays as intended at least for me.

Edit:4 Mins, i am excite halogaf

Maybe its just the camo snipers, or jetpack snipers; I really don't mind the vehicle mayhem as much. There just isn't any cover from a decent sniper, not a fan of looking out for a quarter of a second and dying. Or spawning at the other end of the map, and dying. In addition to the complete inability to ping a sniper from the other end of the map to at least descope him for long enough to get into cover (oh wait there isn't any).

Also might be that everyone always votes for it, then quits, making the side with quitters absolute misery.

What happens in 4min?

And about Hemmorhage being there... no, just replace it with a real remake, teleports and rocks moved and powerups added.

Just curious, what would be different with a real remake?

I guess if Hemorrhage IS in the CEA BTB list or whatever, at least I won't have to worry about camo/jetpack snipers. Hopefully we will get a CEA playlist listing soon.

Striker

StalkerUKCG said:
Really, i dont see a huge problem with hemo. It plays as intended at least for me.
It has its share of issues that are fundamentally a forge problem (teleporter placements, rock placements, poor base structure for 8v8; Coag > Blood Gulch). If they DMR wasn't a cross-mapping machine, and the vehicles acted with the user's health rather than its own, some might be thinking differently of it.

Maybe its just the camo snipers, or jetpack snipers;
Those can happen on any other Forged BTB map aside from Wayont, since it does not feature a Sniper. Wayont stinks anyway.

Don't you like Renegade more, and that can feature: jetpack/camo snipers, Banshee bombing, Spartan Laser, and awful forge setups. It is a Forerunner/Reclaimer home for spawn camping the other team.

PooBone

Dax01 said:
No they weren't. "Holiday 2012" doesn't include September; it's November or December. Judging by Halo's history and videogame release schedules, Halo 4's going to come out in November.

If you want levels like Uplift Reserve than I agree, but I wouldn't call that level "short, objective-based Firefight levels."
Well Microsoft (same publisher) delayed Gears of War 3 to "Holiday 2011" and it came out in September.
It's Microsoft's way, this generation, to release their big first party title of the year in September. I'd be surprised if Halo 4 was any different, despite your reasoning.

daedalius

Striker said:
Don't you like Renegade more, and that can feature: jetpack/camo snipers, Banshee bombing, Spartan Laser, and awful forge setups. It is a Forerunner/Reclaimer home for spawn camping the other team.

Haha, totally. I love the jetpackers that get on top of their team's tower and can see even more of the map than the horribly lame spots you can get on Hemo.

Though really, a map with banshees and no laser is just shitty. It is way too OP. Rocket/plasma-launcher lock-on, hahahaha. One flip=broken lock

daedalius said:
Haha, totally. I love the jetpackers that get on top of their team's tower and can see even more of the map than the horribly lame spots you can get on Hemo.

Though really, a map with banshees and no laser is just shitty. It is way too OP. Rocket/plasma-launcher lock-on, hahahaha. One flip=broken lock
But that would take like three months to fix!

Given the rather extensive conversations HaloGAF has had regarding DLC Map packs, what is the reaction to the Gears 3 approach to DLC (at least thus far)?

As someone who didn't purchase the season pass (which undoubtedly clouds my judgement), I think it's a step in the right direction. I think perhaps a larger gap between initial release and public inclusion (2 months?) might make it seem a bit fairer for early adopters though.

Karl2177

GhaleonEB said:
For me, when the story of Reach's life cycle is written, the lost potential Firefight had will be the main thing I remember. Both in design - so close, yet so far - and in implementation. For most others it will be about MP, but my love in Reach is Firefight, and it's been rough seeing so little done with it. I'll continue to beat my lonely little drum until Halo 4 lands. :)
Honestly, Reach has been lost potential all around. MP, FF implementation, Forge limitations, Theatre limitations, poor campaign...

I would very much appreciate if Firefight is in Halo 4 that they go back to the more survival style approach to its design. I'd also like more variety in the groups of enemies you fight, because the wave after wave approach seems to go against one of the greatest things Halo AI has going for it: the different types and ranks of enemies working together in trying to take you down.

But definitely go back to ODST's style of ammo management. That singular change effectively wrecked Reach's Firefight for me and made it a far more rote and mindless experience.
Karl2177 said:
Honestly, Reach has been lost potential all around. MP, FF implementation, Forge limitations, Theatre limitations, poor campaign...
While I can bitch and complain about Reach all day, I still think the campaign is good. It doesn't match what came before it in ODST, but the campaign was still better than 2 or 3. Oh and I'm not talking about whatever canon they messed around with or stuff like that, I don't care about that. Just in terms of design and mechanically speaking. Though it still has its rough spots like Long Night of Solace and the general tone of the game is a downer.

Karl2177 said:
Jack of all trades, master of none.

Though I wouldn't call Reach's campaign poor. Better than Halo 2's, though its vehicle battles weren't nearly as fun.

None of the Halo games have poor campaigns.

Ken

So Gears 3 gets 5 new multiplayer maps for free and people complain. I am confused.

Anyone want to play TU Beta for an hour or so?

Karl2177 said:

I wouldn't call Reach's campaign poor. Maybe it isn't the best in the series but it's very far away from beig bad. Compared to other big FPS's campaigns that came out last year (and perhaps even this year), Reach's is one of the better ones.

Ramirez

Ken said:
So Gears 3 gets 5 new multiplayer maps for free and people complain. I am confused.

Isn't it just season pass owners complaining? They basically spent 30 bucks so far for some Horde additions and character skins, meanwhile, people who didn't buy it are getting 5 free maps anyways, lol.

Karl2177

In every Halo game there has been a mission that I could go back and play constantly. Halo 1 had the first 5 missions plus an amazing story. Halo 2 had Outskirts, Metropolis, Delta Halo, Regret, and a couple of others with the only downfall in story being the abrupt ending. Halo 3's was pretty good aside from Cortana and the way the story progressed. ODST was decent-Skyline is the one I remember the most, but it had a great story. Reach has what for fun missions? Tip of the Spear and Exodus, maybe. They still aren't ones that I would sit down and replay over again. As for story it was extremely average and the dialogue was pretty bad. The campaign was poor to Halo standards, and that is what I hold the game to.

PooBone

Karl2177 said:
In every Halo game there has been a mission that I could go back and play constantly. Halo 1 had the first 5 missions plus an amazing story. Halo 2 had Outskirts, Metropolis, Delta Halo, Regret, and a couple of others with the only downfall in story being the abrupt ending. Halo 3's was pretty good aside from Cortana and the way the story progressed. ODST was decent-Skyline is the one I remember the most, but it had a great story. Reach has what for fun missions? Tip of the Spear and Exodus, maybe. They still aren't ones that I would sit down and replay over again. As for story it was extremely average and the dialogue was pretty bad. The campaign was poor to Halo standards, and that is what I hold the game to.
I agree with this for the most part.

feel

StalkerUKCG said:
How do i report someone or request a ban?
Check what mods are online (red name on the big list of the main forum page) and send them a private message. Don't request a ban, that could backfire on you, just warn them about and link to the bad posts.

PooBone said:
We'll see. Although if it's an MMO in the traditional sense I probably wouldn't buy it no matter who the publisher is.
Bungie at the top of their game are not gonna release a traditional PC style MMO. It's gonna be something awesome with tons of actions and if anything it will allow you to share that experience with tons of other online in a seamless way.

Ken

Letters said:
Bungie at the top of their game are not gonna release a traditional PC style MMO. It's gonna be something awesome with tons of actions and if anything it will allow you to share that experience with tons of other online in a seamless way.

So Facebook games.

PooBone

Letters said:

Like I said, we'll see. Sometimes ambition has a way of backfiring on you.

Ramirez said:
Isn't it just season pass owners complaining? They basically spent 30 bucks so far for some Horde additions and character skins, meanwhile, people who didn't buy it are getting 5 free maps anyways, lol.

Yeah it is us season pass people complaing.

If you havnt followed gears 3 ill break it down for you quickly-ish

Annoucement that gears 3 will have skins unlocked via other "epic games" like bulletstorm

Annoucement Epic cant do this (these unlocks later get made paid dlc)

Gears 3 leaks hackers rejoice

Annouced "Epic" edition preorder bonuses end up being in multiple other purchases including controllers and the limited edition. Epic edition buyers feel scammed.

Game ships missing maps the hackers had.

Hackers,Fans and finally epic confirm that at least 3 MP maps 7 multiplayer characters and 105 weapon skins are on disc locked DLC

Epic sell 3600 point texture pack containing "all" weapon skins and 2400 point Season pass which gets you 4 DLC packs for the price of 3.

First(of the 4) DLC pack is annouced contains nothing but on disc content and the maps coming with it will be exclusive to horde mode.

DLC pack 1 is delayed 7 hours before its release time.

DLC pack 1 is released and then its confirmed that a 5 map free DLC map pack will be available in 2 3 weeks. Containing 3 of the maps on the disc that was part of the season pass.

Currently this is how it stands.

Season Pass buyers did so with assumption (promoted by epic) that they would get 3 Multiplayer DLC packs of content and a 4th campaign DLC pack.

In reality the only thing exclusive to the paid customers is the Campaign DLC which is 1200 and minor upgrades to horde mode, and likely beast mode plus a few weapon and character skins.

So in the long run. 1200 points for minor upgrades to horde and beast and some skins.

Id say i have the right to be angry.

On the subject of Halo. Seen a new animated story on waypoint anyone watched it yet whats it like?

Karl2177 said:

I think it's a matter of opinion than. I really like ONI Sword Base, Nightfall, TotS, Exodus, New Alexandria in Reach. that are 5/9 missions. In Halo 3, it's the same amount for me.

But I have to agree on being disapointed with Reach's story, I expected a lot more from it.

Ramirez said:
Sounds like Epic being Epic, they always find a way to alienate their fan base.
Its beyond belief its pretty much the only time iv ever felt that fans deserve some kind of compensation for this

cory021

Neo Member
This might seem kind of random, but one thing that I think would have made FF Limited better would be a larger emphasis on these guys:

Reach_elite_minor_render.png

Elite Minors. They're the Elites that are easy-ish to kill but still have the 'smart' Elite-AI that makes Firefight fun. In Firefight Limited, the primary Elites that are used are the standard Elite Majors (goldish/brown colored). I'm fairly certain that the two Elites behave in a similar fashion, except that the Elite Minor's shields are lower. In fact, I think one entire AR round can kill a Minor, but it can't kill the Elite Major. As someone who enjoys using the AR, seeing an Elite Major was usually a hassle because it meant switching my weapon or reloading after popping the shields.

I don't know about you guys, but Elite Minors would be a funner enemy to fight against than the current Elite Majors.

Plus, one of the reasons that Firefight Arcade is more popular is due to the fact that's it's simply easier. Maybe redesigning FF Limited to include Elite Minors in the earlier rounds would entice the population that doesn't like having a tough challenge to play Firefight Limited, but then increasing the difficulty in the third round for the hardcore Firefight players.

daedalius said:
I don't have a problem with this ;)

But adding those other maps would make it even better.

I wonder, do you guys think they made the CEA pistol so you have to lead your shots like in the original? Would that even be possible with the current code-base? That along with only a 2x scope would pretty much eliminate getting cross-mapped.

Although it would also make getting sniped across the map even more infuriating, but then again, I hopefully won't ever have to play the only map that really happens on ever again.

I doubt it. The weapon is built with the Reach Magnum, and that weapon is hitscan. I'm sure it's technically possible, but I would hazard a guess that it's out of the scope of the TU to do something like that. Would be awesome though.

omg.kittens said:
God damn, I can't wait to play the CEA maps. The only one that doesn't look good is Damnation. Everything else looks great.

And yeah, I miss Valhalla. I need to get my copy of Halo 3 from my friend...

Y u no like Damnation?!

Possibly the best asymmetrical map in any Halo game.

Of course, jetpack will completely ruin it, so outside of classic modes, it might suck.

Ken said:

Just the season pass people, because they are getting shafted. They spent 30 bucks for 4 DLC's and 2 of them are already known and they get no versus map advantages to people that want those maps for free. So they have basically spent 15 dollars for something they could have gotten for free if they only cared about the versus maps, which is probably a large number of people.

It would be awesome if Halo had maps for money with achievements, armor pieces, etc and then a month later you could get them for free with just the maps, and they would be fully integrated into matchmaking.

Or just create a matchmaking system that filters for DLC.

Also, for what it's worth, Firefight Limited was the only good Firefight playlist, but I understand that it was removed. Also speaks to the dire need to consolidate some playlists. I was shocked when I got on yesterday, remember how many damn playlists there are. Starting point: Arena, TS, and Squad Slayer. Three slayer only 4v4/5v5 playlists. Completely unnecessary.

Hopefully we hear about the Anniversary playlists soon. It was going to decide if I got CEA or not, but now that I got $20 credit from Amazon for purchasing BF3, CEA will only cost me $20, so I'm going to get it regardless now.

daedalius

Steelyuhas said:
I doubt it. The weapon is built with the Reach Magnum, and that weapon is hitscan. I'm sure it's technically possible, but I would hazard a guess that it's out of the scope of the TU to do something like that. Would be awesome though.

Yea I wonder how deep they would even have to dig into the code to do something like that. 3sk hitscan might be a little OP... wasn't leading a big part of the skill involved in using that weapon?

daedalius said:
Yea I wonder how deep they would even have to dig into the code to do something like that. 3sk hitscan might be a little OP... wasn't leading a big part of the skill involved in using that weapon?

Yeah as well as an incredible strafe, and very low levels of any type of assist.

We'll see, I hope it's awesome, but it may just be too easy to use.

*cough* 343 release gameplay of it *cough*

Also, welcome back Ghaleon!

GhaleonEB said:
As I said, I'm sympathetic to this. To be fair, a decent chunk of my diatribe should be allocated to Bungie, because seven of those ten months Limited sat idle was on their watch. So you're getting more than your due of angst from me, because you're the ones holding the potato currently, even though you haven't been holding it for that long. Such is the way of things. :p

(As a side note, explanations like that - we're at the playlist limit, something has to go - would be great to have when announcing removals. One thing I wish Bungie did was provide reasoning behind their change lists. Some things are self-explanatory, but for many, we're left asking, "they're doing this why exactly?" In this case you've got a perfectly good reason - we just didn't know what it was.)

Please consider dropping Limited into Score Attack, unchanged, as an interim solution. If there is a game type cap of ten, which this would surpass, nuke one of Rocket Attack or FRG Attack, as they are redundant (identical game types with different heavy ordnance starts). I know you just said you don't have time, but that one thing would go some distance toward filling a niche that is now gone.

Great idea. So sad that Reach turned FF into mindless 4-man Score Attack sessions with their favorite Big Ass Weapon. As usual, you hit the nail on the head in terms of the same problems I've had with Reach's Firefight and how little attention it's received. Good to have you back, sir.

Karl2177 said:
The biggest problem with Reach's campaign is that there are aspects of each chapter that are poorly designed, and as such detract from the overall enjoyment. Tip of the Spear would have been a quintessential Halo campaign mission if it weren't for that stupid fucking on-rails section with the Falcon. Same goes for Exodus, but to a much lesser extent. New Alexandria has the side missions that really slow things down and are no fun in the slightest, and the Firefight endings of The Package and Pillar of Autumn go on for far too long. ONI and Nightfall are always fun replays for me, and LNoS is fun if you can stand slogging through the space battle for the umpteenth time.

With the exception of the first Halo, I think I've played Reach's campain more than any other Halo so far, so there's definitely something enjoyable in it for me. However, the bits that I described above are increasingly hard to put aside and make it harder and harder to enjoy myself.

GhaleonEB

Tha Robbertster said:
I wouldn't call Reach's campaign poor. Maybe it isn't the best in the series but it's very far away from beig bad. Compared to other big FPS's campaigns that came out last year (and perhaps even this year), Reach's is one of the better ones.
I enjoy the campaign a great deal, even with all the quibbles. What surprises me about it in hindsight is how short it is. During the last weekly Challenge to do 9 missions, I completed all nine solo, on Heroic, taking a slow and methodical approach to Flawless Cowboy as many as possible. Doing this took a touch over 4 hours. Taking that same approach through the other games yields a longer romp for me, especially Halo 1. Many of the levels are huge or ambitious, but they go by very quickly, even when taking a cautious approach (Winter Contingency, Long Night of Solace).

In some ways its odd to have so much work put into a campaign that is over so quickly.

PsychoRaven said:
Welcome back. It's nice to see you back and laying the smack down. I do agree. Some reasoning for changes made would be nice sometimes.
Thanks. Appreicate the warm welcomes all around. Bannsville (population: me and the other hundred dudes mowned down) was a frustrating place to hang out. I don't plan to visit again.

The worst part of coming back from a ban is having all your subscriptions deleted. I had around 20 active threads, and in a separate folder, about 30 of GAFs greatest hits. All gone, now. :(

Ken said:
OT but what do you use to make charts like this?
Excel. I work in finance so I live and breathe it; if you can conceivably dump something into Excel, I'll put it there.

Striker

Steelyuhas said:
Y u no like Damnation?!

Possibly the best asymmetrical map in any Halo game.

Of course, jetpack will completely ruin it, so outside of classic modes, it might suck.
Damnation is one tricky one. Good slayer map, but never felt it worked too great for any objective based games. I did like it more than Chill Out and Prisoner, though.

Can't say I agree with it being the top of the line asymmetric map. Loved me some Zanzibar and Terminal. But it is still way above anything asymmetric in Halo 3/Reach.

GhaleonEB said:
I enjoy the campaign a great deal, even with all the quibbles. What surprises me about it in hindsight is how short it is. During the last weekly Challenge to do 9 missions, I completed all nine solo, on Heroic, taking a slow and methodical approach to Flawless Cowboy as many as possible. Doing this took a touch over 4 hours. Taking that same approach through the other games yields a longer romp for me, especially Halo 1. Many of the levels are huge or ambitious, but they go by very quickly, even when taking a cautious approach (Winter Contingency, Long Night of Solace).

In some ways its odd to have so much work put into a campaign that is over so quickly.

Thanks. Appreicate the warm welcomes all around. Bannsville (population: me and the other hundred dudes mowned down) was a frustrating place to hang out. I don't plan to visit again.

The worst part of coming back from a ban is having all your subscriptions deleted. I had around 20 active threads, and in a separate folder, about 30 of GAFs greatest hits. All gone, now. :(

Excel. I work in finance so I live and breathe it; if you can conceivably dump something into Excel, I'll put it there.

Did you... "take care" of the mod who banned you :p?

Also I had a dream where Elite Ultras were stalking me in my hometown, trying to kill me D:

squidhands said:
The biggest problem with Reach's campaign is that there are aspects of each chapter that are poorly designed, and as such detract from the overall enjoyment. Tip of the Spear would have been a quintessential Halo campaign mission if it weren't for that stupid fucking on-rails section with the Falcon.
There's more working against Tip of the Spear than the on-rails section. The rocket 'hog is a poor choice to give to the player as it makes a lot of noise but doesn't do much damage, and the vehicle controls don't make driving the vehicles fun.

Plus the last part feels increasingly tacked on the more times you play it.

ElRenoRaven

GhaleonEB said:

Oh tell me about it. That alone is enough to make you not wanna get banned again. Coming back to all your subscriptions lost just really sucks balls.

Dax01 said:
There's more working against Tip of the Spear than the on-rails section. The rocket 'hog is a poor choice to give to the player as it makes a lot of noise but doesn't do much damage, and the vehicle controls don't make driving the vehicles fun.

*Gets in rocket hog turret*

*Kat drives off cliff/gets stuck on a rock/ drives up to Wraith from the front, parks*

GhaleonEB

Trasher said:
Ghaleon must feel so much better now after all of this release.
Yup. I really did take a long, slow, satisfying breath after posting. I had to get that off my chest. :lol

A lot of it has been brewing as I reserved judgment and waited to see 343's plan for Firefight. The deletion of Limited tipped the scales.

Like Squid said, it's sad that Firefight is reduced to jetpacking rocket score attack modes now.

Dax01 said:

The vehicle combat in Reach is an abomination to Halo, make no mistake. The Ghost is the only oft-used vehicle that seems to handle like it should. Besides the Falcon, the only good idea that was implemented in Reach' vehicle combat was the 'hog's overheating turret. Whoever thought that some floaty-ass controls for a staple like the Warthog was a good idea needs to get slapped in the mouth with a belt buckle.

daedalius

squidhands said:
The vehicle combat in Reach is an abomination to Halo, make no mistake. The Ghost is the only oft-used vehicle that seems to handle like it should. Besides the Falcon, the only good idea that was implemented in Reach' vehicle combat was the 'hog's overheating turret. Whoever thought that some floaty-ass controls for a staple like the Warthog was a good idea needs to get slapped in the mouth with a belt buckle.

You mean a multi-ton vehicle like a warthog shouldn't flip by hitting a patch of textured dirt?

Somehow the Ghost feels like it weighs more than the Hog.

Top Bottom