• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT7| What are They to Say Now?

I know I'm probably in the minority here, but I always hated the 1-50. Caused much much more frustration than any sense of fun or accomplishment. Tighten up the skill search filters and match up parties against other parties and I'll be happy.

Steelyuhas said:
I know I'm probably in the minority here, but I always hated the 1-50. Caused much much more frustration than any sense of fun or accomplishment. Tighten up the skill search filters and match up parties against other parties and I'll be happy.

Spoken like a true Major.

xxjuicesxx said:
Spoken like a true Major.

Keep in mind that I despise Halo 3.

And I'm not a Major so suck it! <3

EDIT: Wow, Bungie's stats on the site for Reach are such a colossal improvement over H3.

Tunavi

Banned
blxmw.png

Look who I ran into on halloween

FyreWulff

Steelyuhas said:

I'd like to subscribe to your newsletter. Do you accept essays?

FyreWulff said:
I'd like to subscribe to your newsletter. Do you accept essays?

That essay sucks. I guess its because reading it now that Reach has been out for so long and how bad Arena failed makes this essay almost comedic, almost, but mostly just sad.

FyreWulff

Arena is still better than 1-50, even though I find all of Halo's ranked online experiences boring as hell and not very fun to play anyway. I still have automatic respect for Reach Onyxes and still assume a Halo 3 50 is a boosted bought account.

Even though they made the stupid decision to make Arena Win/Loss instead of rating based. Sigh.

1-50 should never come back, and probably never will.

It's fun to go back and read posts you made long ago though, and see how things actually ended up in Reach.

FyreWulff

KidA Seven said:
Edit: Pic fail

So, why should they bring 1-50 back? Remember that it won't work like Halo 3's 1-50 even if they patched 1-50 into Reach tomorrow. You could get a 50 within 8-9 games. It'd be completely worthless to use as a general indicator of player skill in a lobby. The amount of alting from people attempting to lock a 50 early would reach hilarious levels.

stephen08

The Arena ranking system is great but it fails for one simple reason. People by and large don't care how good they are relative to the population at large. That's why Arena never drew in big numbers. In Halo 3 ranked was popular because to a point it was the only way to advance the progression system.

If you actually care about where you fall in relation to the rest of the population then the Arena's system is more accurate, less susceptible to manipulation, and allows you to try multiple times without fear of permanently tarnishing your record.

1-50 is by comparison much more sloppy and people only want it back for the prestige a high rank visible in all playlists brings.

Thagomizer said:
As long as they fixed the algorithm, sure.

*Wins 5 games in a row, rank doesn't change*
*Lose one game, best score on losing team, drop two levels*

-_-
Uh, this means the algorithm is working, though. You guys need to make up your minds which you hate less: constant linear progress or relative adjustment.

European Halo-fans. I know that isn't something important, but the paper sleeve is part of the EU-package as well.
dbbWG.jpg

Pretty neat. (Except for the big USK logo. It destroys everything)

Hypertrooper said:
European Halo-fans. I know that isn't something important, but the paper sleeve is part of the EU-package as well.
http://i.imgur.com/dbbWG.jpg[/IMG

Pretty neat. (Except for the big USK logo. It destroys everything)[/QUOTE]
what's usk? don't you have pegi like the rest of europe there in germany? °O°

TheOddOne

Hypertrooper said:

Pretty neat. (Except for the big USK logo. It destroys everything)
YES IT IS IMPORTANT, WHY WOULD YOU SAY IT'S NOT IMPORTANT?!

/RAGE

Mad love for ya Hyper <3

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Still wish there was a "Ten Years of Halo" limited edition of Anniversary that had the Ten Years art book and all soundtracks included or something.

Glasslands arrived, but so busy with work I'm reading a chapter every few hours.
i nerini del buio said:
pfff elitists
I know, rite?

Plz pay mah billz Germanz, k thx.
Deadly Cyclone said:
Still wish there was a "Ten Years of Halo" limited edition of Anniversary that had the Ten Years art book and all soundtracks included or something.
Not sure if my expectations were too high, but a small bit disappointed in the Ten Years of Halo Art Book. Once the lack of engineers was pointed out I think it put a damper on the entire thing.

Was also very Reach focused.

Hypertrooper said:
http://i.imgur.com/dbbWG.jpg[IMG]

Pretty neat. (Except for the big USK logo. It destroys everything)[/QUOTE]
Sweet, where did you find the photo?
Is that an actual copy (disc inside package) of Anniversary? Frankie said they didn't have the discs ready yet.

Gabotron ES said:
Is that an actual copy (disc inside package) of Anniversary? Frankie said they didn't have the discs ready yet.
Likely Just a dummy box for display in stores pretty common in england so id imagine europe follows suit. However having the sleve makes me wonder. The game hasnt leaked on the internet yet so i doubt its in peoples hands.

Zeouterlimits said:
Glasslands arrived, but so busy with work I'm reading a chapter every few hours.

I know, rite?

Plz pay mah billz Germanz, k thx.
We have to pay the bills nearly for every european country wtf. Learn how to use the moneyz!

Gabotron ES said:
A former HaloGaffer got his copy from Microsoft for review purpose.

ElRenoRaven

StalkerUKCG said:
Likely Just a dummy box for display in stores pretty common in england so id imagine europe follows suit. However having the sleve makes me wonder. The game hasnt leaked on the internet yet so i doubt its in peoples hands.

Well it is now 2 weeks till launch. I'd expect the french to release it to the net any hour now.

GhaleonEB

So, yeah. Let's do this. I'm going to write a whole bunch about Firefight, and it's sort of the Firefight equivalent of complaining about Drop Shields in Team objective. Non Firefight players, let your eyes glaze over and move that scroll bar until you hit bottom. We've got a lot to cover here.

I might as well start with an exchange over Twitter since that's where my comments began and left off:

GhaleonEB said:
My disappointment with the removal of Firefight Limited is not that it's gone, it's that no one at 343 understands or cares about Firefight.

DavidEllis said:
We understand more than you know. I can relate to your frustration, but this move was necessary.

Twitter is a poor place to converse, particularly for someone as verbose as I, and I regret that my comment might read as being rather rude. I meant it as a simple observation based on how Firefight has fared so far in 343's stewardship: The sum total of 343's Firefight changes, in three months of playlist management, has been to delete what had been my favorite playlist. As one who loves Firefight dearly, you can imagine why I might be grumpy about the situation.

I want to comment on the Firefight Limited situation, and then pivot to Firefight as a whole, because that's the bigger issue. I knew Firefight Limited wasn't long for this world, and its eventual removal isn't surprising. Its population had dwindled with the addition of Firefight Doubles and the drop in overall Reach population, and I figured it was only a matter of time. The synchronous networking model needs a healthy player base to function well, and it no longer had that, and good connections were getting tough to come by.

But while small, FF Limited wasn't just any old playlist. It was the only playlist where one could reliably play Firefight as a survival mode, rather than a score attack mode. Considering Firefight began as a survival mode in the first place in ODST, it's removal is a pretty big deal for fans of that style of game. True, Limited also in Firefight Doubles, but I invite you to go into that playlist solo and try to get it voted for with any regularity. If you want to hop into match making and play it, odds are good it's going to take a while.

What sparked my tweet was how its deletion came on the heels of ten months of neglect. The complete history of significant Firefight Limited playlist updates is as follows:

• January: Playlist released.
  • November: Playlist deleted.

The playlist was started, abandoned, and then deleted ten months later. Firefight can't be updated like a Multiplayer playlist and retain players. With Multiplayer, you want to find an optimal mix of game types, maps, settings, weapon placements and so on, and then leave it that way, because the variety for players will come from the eb and flow of enjoyable, well balanced games against other players; Valhalla CTF was as glorious on day 1 of Halo 3 as it was on my last. (That laser aside.)

Not so for Firefight. Firefight is built from enemies, load outs, and the ways the game leverages its wave-based structure via skulls and enemy mixtures, but the nature of the maps and AI severely limit the variety on offer no matter the settings. That's just a cold reality in Reach. You can't just pick one mix and leave it there forever, because even a great game type will get boring after a short time. It's got to be constantly refreshed. This hasn't happened to any Firefight game type to date: the mix Firefight Limited had when it came out in January was rather unadventurous, and it wasn't touched once during its run.

It's especially problematic when game types aren't that thrilling to begin with, a problem that runs through most of Firefight matchmaking. To highlight one example, this is a table showing what I play a lot of lately, in Firefight Doubles, ArcadeFight:

AFNOW.png

The intro and boss waves are the same in all three Rounds, and of the five possible Main Waves, only one changes. There's a huge emphasis on fighting Jackals and overall the wave/round structure isn't leveraged to add variety and/or challenge. It's basically the same thing for three Rounds (unless the Heretics drop in for one wave). Not shown is the skull progression, which is minimal; losing the radar in Round 3 and then playing the same enemies over again doesn't good variety make. It's a pretty conservative, and ultimately repetitive, game type - and the mix hasn't been touched once since it came out about six months ago.

Each Firefight game type and playlist needs to be evaluated based on how well it's taking advantage of the options at hand to deliver an interesting, diverse, challenging (where appropriate) and fun game. That's the approach to crafting fun custom games (even before throwing in player traits or custom skulls). Staying within the confines of Firefight Limited and ArcadeFight, that means varying the combat from Round to Round. This can be done by adding simple variety to the mix, or by scaling up the difficulty of the enemies, as done with the Heretics in Arcadefight and the Hunter squads in Limited (the only enemy cluster to do so). One such approach for ArcadeFight would look like this:

AFSB.png

Some enemy groupings are cycled for variety, a few scale up in difficulty, and no wave is predictable - they can all vary from game to game. This would ensure each wave has a unique profile, and subsequent games would rotate through many iterations before becoming repetetive. Mind you, I'm not advocating for this specific combination, just the general approach. I'm asking that someone at 343 sit down, and take a good hard look at how the Firefight game types and playlists are set up. I don't think anyone who plays or knows Firefight would conclude they should be left as is, or would let them stay static for this long. Firefight gets around 10% of the Reach population, depending on the day; it should recieve a proportionate share of resources put to updating it. Firefight is, as I understand it, much easier to update than Multiplayer because you are limited to the same options in the custom game options that players can see. So it shouldn't be a major resource draw to make some updates.

I'm one of those guys who loved FF Limited to death - and stopped playing it. I did so because of the total lack of updates - it got boring. Every month I skim the playlist update list in hopes someone will refresh it - but no one has. Before deleting it, I wish some effort were made to salvage it by actually updating it along the lines I outlined for Arcadefight. Maybe even highlight the changes via a Double Jackpot weekend, with a notice to the community in the Bulletin that if the new FF Limited doesn't manage to pull some decent numbers, it's going away in the following update. Best case scenario, the playlist is saved. Worst case, the (few) players get one last hurrah in it before it goes the way of the dodo.

If 343 decided that wasn't worth the effort, I'd love to have seen some recognition that FF Limited had a unique role in the Firefight playlists as the sole survival mode, and provide an alternate way to play it. The easiest way would be to drop it into Score Attack. The message with that approach would be: "Sorry guys, FF Limited wasn't pulling enough players to create an enjoyable experience for those who wanted to play it, so we've had to pull it. For those of you who loved it and want to continue to play it for Credits/Challenges/Commendations, we're dropping into Score Attack - the full Set variant from Limited - so you can play it solo at any time. It's also available in Firefight Doubles as a co-op option." Playlist population obviously isn't a problem for Score Attack.

But 343 didn't do that either, they just deleted the thing. This is what I mean by they don't understand Firefight. There wasn't (public) recognition of the unique role Firefight Limited played in the spectrum of Firefight's offerings, and they have made zero updates to any other Firefight playlist, either. There are a lot of problems in the current set of game types and playlists, even before we talk about the kind of updates I did. Some things are just plain broken (such as the time limits in Firefight Doubles, and Fiesta Fight in Score Attack) and have been for months on end. 343 has had control of Reach's playlists for three months, and have done literally nothing to improve, vary, or iterate on anything in the Firefight space. (And all of the above is before we get into the possibility of new game types - there are tons of great ones out there in the community; the ones in Matchmaking are all along the lines of, grab rockets and blow up the same enemies for three Rounds. The huge suite of custom options were built so we could do more than that.)

I'm a patient guy, and I understand that it takes time to ramp up a team and it's not as easy to integrate matchmaking changes as it is for us to flip a custom option. I keep hearing word from 343 that they're "just getting started". You know I love you guys, but you've been getting started at this for a very long time.

No, I'm not mad. I'm exasperated and disappointed; Firefight was is my favorite aspect of Reach and I'm passionate about it. It was disappointing when Bungie abandoned Firefight, and it's disappointing 343 has not stepped up either. I honestly do not understand the point of A) building Firefight B) giving it the custom options it has and C) having regular playlist updates if Firefight is going to be ignored. The payoff of that kind of development effort comes from the playlist management post-ship.

I regret the part of my tweet where I said 343 didn't care about Firefight, as I have no way of knowing that. My hope is that they do care, enough to make some updates to Firefight other than playlist deletions.

*exhales slowly*

Oh, hai guys. It's good to be back.

lybertyboy

Thinks the Evil Empire is just misunderstood.
Real talk.

When creating the playlists for Halo: Anniversary we hit the hard limit for number of playlists in Reach.

Because of time constraints in testing and certifying upcoming playlists we decided that removing the lowest populated playlist was the lesser of evils in this situation.

There is no malice or apathy intended. When stackranking priorities sometimes things get put on the backburner for a time. We will absolutely continue to look at ways to give Firefight a much needed revamp, but I don't have a timeframe right. Wish I did.

Well said Ghaleon.

Perhaps foolishly, Limited is closer to what I like about FF, but as I've said before, it never grabbed me in Reach the way it did with ODST.

Those 2 hour marathon survival sessions were crazy, but fantastic, so I can appreciate that not-only their loss but their treatment as a whole is quite disappointing.

Oh, and welcome back.

daedalius

Wooo Ghaleon is back! Twitter just isn't enough of him.

When creating the playlists for Halo: Anniversary we hit the hard limit for number of playlists in Reach.

Hopefully this means there is an Anniversary BTB playlist, which I will never leave. And better not ever have to play forgeworld maps.

Limited was really the only firefight playlist I enjoyed; well that and doubles I guess. Arcade is just... I don't know, its no challenge, so its no fun. Hopefully we get a revamp in the future.

Valhalla CTF was as glorious on day 1 of Halo 3 as it was on my last.

So missed...

Striker

Steelyuhas said:
I didn't like it in 3 because it was easy as shit to rank up. And eventually, which was also bad, it had insanely long wait times because of the population disparity.

PsychoRaven said:
Well it is now 2 weeks till launch. I'd expect the french to release it to the net any hour now.
I dunno, not even rumours of the leak happening on any of my "sources" normally theres talk of people leaking it early by now and its relativly silent.

Ghaleon is back?

TLDR

-------
Thanks for the clarification, David! I'm okay with deleting FF Limited if it was necessary to give us more Classic playlists... *fingers crossed*

Ghaleon, at the very least they have to add Installation 04 to the FF rotation, so it's going to get some level of attention.

GhaleonEB said:
If 343 decided that wasn't worth the effort, I'd love to have seen some recognition that FF Limited had a unique role in the Firefight playlists as the sole survival mode, and provide an alternate way to play it. The easiest way would be to drop it into Score Attack. The message with that approach would be: "Sorry guys, FF Limited wasn't pulling enough players to create an enjoyable experience for those who wanted to play it, so we've had to pull it. For those of you who loved it and want to continue to play it for Credits/Challenges/Commendations, we're dropping into Score Attack - the full Set variant from Limited - so you can play it solo at any time. It's also available in Firefight Doubles as a co-op option." Playlist population obviously isn't a problem for Score Attack.
I always hoped for a Firefight survival gametype in Score Attack. I can't play no other Firefight playlist, because it would be a lagfest. The biggest problem of the Firefight playlist, and you pointed it out, are the same enemy pattern in every Gametype. You definitely can prepare yourself for the next waves. There is no hoping that a specific enemy doesn't spawn. I demand variety.

Otherwise another problem I have is that Bungie hadn't motivated the players to use the Custom settings to create own Firefight gametypes. Why didn't they start a competition for creating FF gametype? The prize would have been that the gametype is going to be a MM gametype in Score Attack etc. and an All-star nameplate.

And welcome back, Ghal. We missed you.

Edit.: I ain't posting post over 20 words anymore. So many post are posted. Seriously stop it guys. :(

feel

GhaleonEB said:
Oh, hai guys. It's good to be back.
Welcome back man

lybertyboy said:
Real talk.

Because of time constraints in testing and certifying upcoming playlists we decided that removing the lowest populated playlist was the lesser of evils in this situation.

There is no malice or apathy intended. When stackranking priorities sometimes things get put on the backburner for a time. We will absolutely continue to look at ways to give Firefight a much needed revamp, but I don't have a timeframe right. Wish I did.
When can we expected full disclosure on the complete layout and settings of Halo Matchmaking post-CEA? This week, next week? Launch day?

And I'm worried (to say the least) that the Classic playlists won't be up to par and kinda put a damper on the 10th Anniversary celebration/CEA launch. Really wish we got to beta test those.

daedalius

Dax01 said:
Yup. Rip BTB. :*(

Team Flag is what I really miss too.

Well, they have these awesome new giant maps, much beloved Headlong, and Timberline, which I can't imagine working really well without 8v8... so I am REALLY hoping we see a BTB list for CEA.

I have a feeling regular BTB people will continue to vote for hemorrhage even after these maps come out if they are mixed in... but overall, pretty tired of forge world, since I play on it all the time.

daedalius said:
Well, they have these awesome new giant maps, much beloved Headlong, and Timberline, which I can't imagine working really well without 8v8... so I am REALLY hoping we see a BTB list for CEA.

I have a feeling regular BTB people will continue to vote for hemorrhage even after these maps come out if they are mixed in... but overall, pretty tired of forge world, since I play on it all the time.
I don't see CEA BTB happening as it would be pretty much Timberland and Headlong all
the time.

Maybe adding Tempest, Breakpoint, Highlands and a real Blood Gulch remake it would work.

They'd also need to cap DMR's rof or just emulate Halo 2's BR with the Magnum.

Hey You

I never enjoyed Reach's Firefight Limited as I would like to.

Dax01 said:
Team Flag is what I really miss too.
Damn, me too. One of two favorite playlists in Halo 3. Loved playing CTF on Avalanche, always had a certain tactic I would do which usually resulted in me capturing the flag.

Gabotron ES said:
I don't see CEA BTB happening as it would be pretty much be Timberland and Headlong all
the time.

Maybe adding Tempest, Breakpoint, Highlands and a real Blood Gulch remake it would work.

CEA BTB would do fine, High Noon, Timberland, Headlong.

daedalius

Gabotron ES said:
I don't see CEA BTB happening as it would be pretty much be Timberland and Headlong all
the time.

I don't have a problem with this ;)

But adding those other maps would make it even better.

I wonder, do you guys think they made the CEA pistol so you have to lead your shots like in the original? Would that even be possible with the current code-base? That along with only a 2x scope would pretty much eliminate getting cross-mapped.

Although it would also make getting sniped across the map even more infuriating, but then again, I hopefully won't ever have to play the only map that really happens on ever again.

If Reach had even one map as amazing as Valhalla...

totally...

Still looking for people who like BTB objective to add to my friends list, let me know if you do.

daedalius said:
Hopefully this means there is an Anniversary BTB playlist, which I will never leave. And better not ever have to play forgeworld maps.

You really think Hemorrhage won't be in there?

Gabotron ES said:

The DMR? Why?

Cap the pistol, but the DMR is fine.

Top Bottom