• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT7| What are They to Say Now?

GhaleonEB said:
Yup. I really did take a long, slow, satisfying breath after posting. I had to get that off my chest. :lol

A lot of it has been brewing as I reserved judgment and waited to see 343's plan for Firefight. The deletion of Limited tipped the scales.

Like Squid said, it's sad that Firefight is reduced to jetpacking rocket score attack modes now.

I like arcade mode to pass a few minutes or to get a quick challenge, otherwise I couldn't care less about it.

Limited is ok, nothing special.

ODST Firefight is the definitive version in my mind.

Give us ODST Firefight in Halo 4 please! I think any firefight with Spartans should be dubbed "Arcade".

Sai-kun

Banned
PsychoRaven said:
Oh tell me about it. That alone is enough to make you not wanna get banned again. Coming back to all your subscriptions lost just really sucks balls.
It'a really the worst thing :( so many amazing threads lost.

Ramirez

squidhands said:
The vehicle combat in Reach is an abomination to Halo, make no mistake. The Ghost is the only oft-used vehicle that seems to handle like it should. Besides the Falcon, the only good idea that was implemented in Reach' vehicle combat was the 'hog's overheating turret. Whoever thought that some floaty-ass controls for a staple like the Warthog was a good idea needs to get slapped in the mouth with a belt buckle.

The Falcon was a good idea, but executed terribly. No seat to pick up flag carriers, and DMRs can shoot it out of the sky, so dumb.

feel

GhaleonEB said:
Thanks. Appreicate the warm welcomes all around. Bannsville (population: me and the other hundred dudes mowned down) was a frustrating place to hang out. I don't plan to visit again.

The worst part of coming back from a ban is having all your subscriptions deleted. I had around 20 active threads, and in a separate folder, about 30 of GAFs greatest hits. All gone, now. :(
yeah losing the Subs is the worst part and the actual punishment. Switch to autosub if you hadn't before, helps fill up the subs page faster.

On the bright (or dark) side, that awkward feel you are experiencing is the feel of being a true gaffer now. :)

daedalius said:
You mean a multi-ton vehicle like a warthog shouldn't flip by hitting a patch of textured dirt?

Somehow the Ghost feels like it weighs more than the Hog.
I know lore and gameplay can't always go hand in hand, but if the Warthog can survive a crash into a planet, it shouldn't be flipping over when a suggestion of gravel is nearby.

Rickenslacker said:
Can't see this from work, is it the lovely glitch that makes the Ghost/Revenant fly off the map at a million miles an hour?

GhaleonEB said:
Yup. I really did take a long, slow, satisfying breath after posting. I had to get that off my chest. :lol

A lot of it has been brewing as I reserved judgment and waited to see 343's plan for Firefight. The deletion of Limited tipped the scales.

Like Squid said, it's sad that Firefight is reduced to jetpacking rocket score attack modes now.

All I can play is Score Attack, because if I play something else, everyone will vote for the dreadful 'arcadefight' gametype that has the Fuel Rod jetpack loadout that 99.99999999999999% of players use.

I just go score attack and veto until I get the Fiesta gametype.

To be honest, I don't really play Firefight that much, but it still pretty disappointing to see how poorly the matchmaking was handled in Reach.

Ramirez said:
The Falcon was a good idea, but executed terribly. No seat to pick up flag carriers, and DMRs can shoot it out of the sky, so dumb.
Such a wasted opportunity considering that it handles like a dream.

Awesome Barlow said:
I like arcade mode to pass a few minutes or to get a quick challenge, otherwise I couldn't care less about it.

Give us ODST Firefight in Halo 4 please! I think any firefight with Spartans should be dubbed "Arcade".
The Spartans aren't the problem.

Zeouterlimits said:
That's what I figured. lol

Ramirez said:
I'm really surprised that a passenger version couldn't be added, especially when there's one in the campaign. I know they're different animals, MP and campaign, it just doesn't make sense considering that it was touted as the Warthog of the sky. meh

Woorloog

Banned
squidhands said:
I'm really surprised that a passenger version couldn't be added, especially when there's one in the campaign. I know they're different animals, MP and campaign, it just doesn't make sense considering that it was touted as the Warthog of the sky. meh
It was a balancing decision AFAIK. The Falcon is quite sturdy, it has TWO gunners (Warthog has one) and it flies... Now i know Transport Hornet was in Halo 3 but that thing wasn't good in a fight really, it had twin peashooters as weapons instead of proper machine guns the Falcon has.

Ramirez

Woorloog said:
It was a balancing decision AFAIK. The Falcon is quite sturdy, it has TWO gunners (Warthog has one) and it flies... Now i know Transport Hornet was in Halo 3 but that thing wasn't good in a fight really, it had twin peashooters as weapons instead of proper machine guns the Falcon has.

The Hornet could live forever if your team had the laser, the Falcon probably has an average life span of 1 minute, and that's being generous.

GhaleonEB

Awesome Barlow said:

I think Firefight should be a mix, covering that spectrum. I enjoy hopping into Score Attack now and then for a quick game, with 2X and Crashsite being my favs. I'd love Fiesta Fight but it's incorrectly configured; were it set to match the Arcade settings it would be awesome. You can get close to ODST's Firefight in Reach (much closer than Limited ever got), but the AI is the limiter there. It keeps all but four enemies at bay at a time, where as ODST sent nearly everyone at you at once, leading to those intense fights that really brought out teamwork. That's Reach's biggest shortcoming, IMO. The AI renders all modes a turkey shoot of sorts. I'm guessing that was done to make it more appealing - less hard - for the crowds in matchmaking, but the cost is steep to any concept of a survival mode.

More than anything, I hope that's addressed in Halo 4.

Woorloog said:
All that needed to happen was the elimination of one of the side guns on the Falcon to make it a viable transport vehicle, since the pilot's gun was rightly disabled for MP. And the Falcon is only as sturdy as the team that doesn't DMR it down. ;-)

Striker said:
Damnation is one tricky one. Good slayer map, but never felt it worked too great for any objective based games. I did like it more than Chill Out and Prisoner, though.

Can't say I agree with it being the top of the line asymmetric map. Loved me some Zanzibar and Terminal. But it is still way above anything asymmetric in Halo 3/Reach.
We used to play Dammy CTF for hours. We'd just alternate who got the top base each game. Different strokes, I guess...

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics
Damnation is... odd. I can't put my finger on it. I played it a bunch at Halo Fest. It's not a bad map by any means (I'd take it over 99% of Reach's launch maps), but it's not good either.

Beaver Creek and Timberlands are where it's at. I was amazed at how much I enjoyed Timberlands at Halo Fest.

Hmm interesting to see Dammy not getting the love. I was always under the impression that it was pretty much a universally loved map.

GhaleonEB said:
I think Firefight should be a mix, covering that spectrum. I enjoy hopping into Score Attack now and then for a quick game, with 2X and Crashsite being my favs. I'd love Fiesta Fight but it's incorrectly configured; were it set to match the Arcade settings it would be awesome. You can get close to ODST's Firefight in Reach (much closer than Limited ever got), but the AI is the limiter there. It keeps all but four enemies at bay at a time, where as ODST sent nearly everyone at you at once, leading to those intense fights that really brought out teamwork. That's Reach's biggest shortcoming, IMO. The AI renders all modes a turkey shoot of sorts. I'm guessing that was done to make it more appealing - less hard - for the crowds in matchmaking, but the cost is steep to any concept of a survival mode.

More than anything, I hope that's addressed in Halo 4.

I just went back and read your post, I'm pretty shocked they removed Firefight limited, I don't get my xbox live back until friday, did they remove limited from doubles?

Havok

Steelyuhas said:
Hmm interesting to see Dammy not getting the love. I was always under the impression that it was pretty much a universally loved map.
Damnation is great. I hope there's some One Flag/Bomb, it's got some awesome assault routes.
Most of the voting options will be 2 Flag Slayer and Stockpile, if it's anything like what Objective has become after the last update.

Karl2177

I've known that Bungie has been looking for a World Designer, but how long have they been looking for an Economy Designer?

Economy Designer
It’s the economy, stupid! Drive players to invest in our game economy by analyzing the subtleties of behavioral economics and pondering the pitfalls of specialization and free trade. Theorize why people make irrational economic choices and use the tricks you’ve learned to ensure players only make the irrational choices you want them to. Create an economic system that will fulfill a player’s needs just as much as shooting an alien in the face.

The Economy Designer at Bungie will develop a robust and rewarding game economy that drives player behavior toward intended goals and validate those systems through intense simulation, testing and iteration. You’ll design the systems and mechanics which drive in-game trade, satisfy the players’ need for possessions and wealth whilst ensuring rewards retain their intended value despite attempts to exploit or grief the system. You will determine what data is necessary to mine, ensure we have all of the hooks necessary to gather that data, and come up with all of the interesting metrics and questions we should ask of that data. You will run simulations of these mechanics based on expected player behavior and test these simulated results against actual player behavior; tuning the live system accordingly.

Required Skills
-Degree in Economics and/or professional working experience with online game economies.
-Deep understanding of the social, cognitive, and emotional factors that drive behavior.
-Excellent math and analytical skills.
-Ability to model complex economic systems and command of Excel.
-Outstanding organizational and communication skills.
-Strong drive for excellence.
-Ability to work well in a collaborative team environment under deadlines.
-A strong desire to translate your passion and talent into a vibrant and rewarding gaming experience for players.

GhaleonEB

A27_StarWolf said:
I just went back and read your post, I'm pretty shocked they removed Firefight limited, I don't get my xbox live back until friday, did they remove limited from doubles?
Nope, it's still in Doubles. Tough but not impossible to get it voted for though, since Arcadefight is what people want to play and that trumps Limited (which is a hierarchy I agree with, since it's the more popular mode).

daedalius

TheOddOne said:
It's been there for a while now. All signs point out to a MMO.

Ugh, enough MMOs. A shooter MMO shouldn't really need an Economist... should it?

Bulletin today no? Hoping for a CEA Classic gameplay vid! yeah right..

Maybe a video of them clicking through all the new playlists, heh.

lybertyboy

Thinks the Evil Empire is just misunderstood.
Letters said:
Bulletin today no? Hoping for a CEA Classic gameplay vid!
yeah right..

Oh shit, I knew there was something I forgot to do. So Anniversary Slayers on Uncaged? Got it.

daedalius

Slightly Live said:
Go play some TF2. Maybe buy a hat or two.

I'll admit its been a while since I played TF2, hats didn't even exist when I did.

Oh shit, I knew there was something I forgot to do. So Anniversary Slayers on Uncaged? Got it.

ic7akn.jpg

That DLC weighting is definitely working.

Two out of the 8 games i played in TU Beta were on DLC maps (A9 and Highlands)

ZB DMRs comes up a lot too. (got ZB 7 of 8 games)

Good job 343.

I was playing in a party of 2, just for reference.

Karl2177 said:
I've known that Bungie has been looking for a World Designer, but how long have they been looking for an Economy Designer?
Exactly three months. :p

The Bungie Mobile app for Android has an interesting paragraph in the Terms of Use about Virtual Currency.

Gives me the impression we'll see a trading house type thing on b.net or even on mobile. Can't wait to spend those Space Allards Marty Bucks.

ElRenoRaven

lybertyboy said:

No I think they wanted Anniversary slayer on The Cage but with 99 percent bloom instead of no bloom.

lybertyboy said:
Dongblain?

That reminds me. In case we haven't made it clear. Halogaf wants a soldier named Mike Dongblain in Halo 4. Make it so!!

feel

Maybe Jason Jones and co. want someone over-qualified to handle the experience points payout (player investment) system after checking out how Reach's turned out.

@David I'll take it. I just want to check out the gametype, I know the maps will be good. :)

As we are getting a playlist update the 15th would you guys just turn friendly fire off from Living Dead?

I remember getting betrayed 9 times, NINE TIMES and no boot option! Do it for me plz.

Gabotron ES said:
As we are getting a playlist update the 15th would you guys just turn friendly fire off from Living Dead?

I remember getting betrayed 9 times, NINE TIMES and no boot option! Do it for me plz.
If they do that, I will miss your rage post about betrayels in Living dead. :^(

lybertyboy said:
Dongblain?
I don't think that he has time for it. He must defeat batman. (If you don't get this unfunny joke, check this out.)

Homeboyd

lybertyboy said:
Dongblain?
This will be the update to end all updates. The greatest piece of literature ever written. Awe-inspiring panoramic, breath-taking, action packed screenshots and beautifully orchestrated, mind-boggling film capturing Team Blainer matches pushing the Xbox to it's absolute limits in the most unbelievably beautiful environments ever seen in a video game ala HCEA. Follow it up with tons of exclusive information regarding Halo 4, more new Waypoint features than you can shake a stick at including new custom challenge details, plans for Multiplayer and Firefight Matchmaking updates (which will be occurring bi-weekly from this point on) splashed with new gametypes, settings, and game modes than you could play in a lifetime, and a 30 page article on future of Halo beyond the latest announced installments.

Buckle up, bitches.

kylej

Banned
Man, I look at what Rockstar does in 3 years. Then I look at Reach. Wow.

I need to win the lottery so I can game full time. So many good games coming out.

lybertyboy

Thinks the Evil Empire is just misunderstood.
Tashi0106 said:
Wow v6 is in matchmaking but the weapon times are messed up now? Fuck

We're aware of the error and are actively investigating the issue and solutions.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
lybertyboy said:
We're aware of the error and are actively investigating the issue and solutions.

Cool, thanks. Still sucks though.

edit: God ninja is so annoying

kylej

Banned
Tashi0106 said:
Cool, thanks. Still sucks though.

edit: God ninja is so annoying

Ninja hating on Ryanoob is fucking embarrassing. You're just as much of a nerd as he is, only he outplaces you and makes more money. You're goddamn Halo pro gamers, nobody gives a shit, gain some perspective. No need for the hate.

Top Bottom