• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT7| What are They to Say Now?

MrBig

daedalius said:
So guys, suggestions for 55" tvs for maximum halo enjoyment?
You don't get maximum gaming enjoyment from TVs 40" or bigger. In fact it begins to decline past that point.

e: Ridgline has the FW palette.

Homeboyd said:
Can anyone provide the forging limits for the CEA maps? Does Timberland have a full FW palette? Are the others just slightly edit-able? Any other confirmed remarks?
Forge hasn't really been detailed for the other maps besides Timberland.

Headlong and Hang 'Em High are speculated to have large palettes I do believe.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
Homeboyd said:
Can anyone provide the forging limits for the CEA maps? Does Timberland have a full FW palette? Are the others just slightly edit-able? Any other confirmed remarks?

I don't recall any CEA maps having full FW palettes like Tempest. Unless I missed something obvious.

Ramirez

daedalius said:
So guys, suggestions for 55" tvs for maximum halo enjoyment?

I hate playing games on my 47" I bought last year, there's slight input lag which is just killer for competitive online play...

MrBig said:
You don't get maximum gaming enjoyment from TVs 40" or bigger. In fact it begins to decline past that point.
That's mostly subjective, but please elaborate? I'm curious about your reasoning. I game on a 42" HDTV while I sit on my bed and it's pretty fantastic.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
Barrow Roll said:
That's mostly subjective, but please elaborate? I'm curious about your reasoning. I game on a 42" HDTV while I sit on my bed and it's pretty fantastic.

This. I game on my 42" plasma from a lovely reclining position. No input lag at all and plenty of good times.

MrBig

Barrow Roll said:
It is absolutely subjective and depends on your set up (and playstyle/current game), but the optimum gaming set-up is to sit a little more than a meter or so from your screen so that you can easily focus. That means with the bigger screens you have to unfocus to view HUD elements and other things rather than being able to take in everything
This is from my own experience and the opinions of some others, and not something I have researched.

Ramirez

Have you guys went back to a smaller TV or monitor since getting used to your big TV? The difference was really jarring for me when I switched back to my old TV.

I really hated how at PAX all of the TVs were HUGE and you had to sit like 1 foot from them, lol.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
Ramirez said:
Have you guys went back to a smaller TV or monitor since getting used to your big TV? The difference was really jarring for me when I switched back to my old TV.

Yup. I used to run a regular gaming event a few years back and had to park up the xbox on some old small CRT televisions.

The difference was jarring. Can't go back now that I have all that screen real estate.

Slightly Live said:
This. I game on my 42" plasma from a lovely reclining position. No input lag at all and plenty of good times.
That's how I feel too. I did a lot of research to find a TV with little to no input lag. Once I decided on my set I brought my 360 to Best Buy and just asked if I could plug it into the floor model to test it for a bit. They had no problem with that I tested a few different games on there for like half an hour until I was happy with it. I also play games that require much stricter timings and faster inputs than Halo on it with no problem at all, and I'm very sensitive to input lag. You just gotta find the right set.

MrBig said:
It is absolutely subjective and depends on your set up (and playstyle/current game), but the optimum gaming set-up is to sit a little more than a meter or so from your screen so that you can easily focus. That means with the bigger screens you have to unfocus to view HUD elements and other things rather than being able to take in everything
This is from my own experience and the opinions of some others, and not something I have researched.

A meter? I sit 5 feet away from a 32'' and that is a comfortable distance. I just tested going closer and I feel like I'm sitting on top of it.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Barrow Roll said:
Slightly Live said:
You two:
X1XU2.jpg

On a 22" LCD over here.

MrBig

Thagomizer said:
A meter? I sit 5 feet away from a 32'' and that is a comfortable distance. I just tested going closer and I feel like I'm sitting on top of it.
I have a 32" and sitting about a meter away from it fills about 50% of my viewing area. The bigger your TV is the farther back you sit.

Ramirez

Barrow Roll said:
That's how I feel too. I did a lot of research to find a TV with little to no input lag. Once I decided on my set I brought my 360 to Best Buy and just asked if I could plug it into the floor model to test it for a bit. They had no problem with that I tested a few different games on there for like half an hour until I was happy with it. I also play games that require much stricter timings and faster inputs than Halo on it with no problem at all, and I'm very sensitive to input lag. You just gotta find the right set.

Amazing.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Slightly Live said:
I'm already in the middle of listening to this.

I can never listen to just one track of Katamari. =P

I've never played this game but my first college roommate used to play this song while doing his artwork. I had to know it, shit's like, addictive, I don't know lol

MrBig said:
I just sit farther back, my bedroom layout kind of demands it anyways. No problems here with focusing on everything on screen. Plus it's comfortable as hell for watching movies.

Ramirez said:
At work we have a 19" or 22" LCD that I can game on. Just gotta sit closer like you would with a computer monitor, no big deal.

Ramirez said:
You know it. If I'm dropping a couple hundred bones on a TV you bet your ass I'm going to go nuts with the testing. They wanna make that sale so I doubt anyone would give me shit for that.

Plywood said:
You two:
X1XU2.jpg

On a 22" LCD over here.
THRILLHO all the way baby.

TrounceX said:
Big TV's make you bad at Halo

Fact.
They didn't give me an MLG Pro discount when I bought my TV so that's probably true.

MrBig said:
I have a 32" and sitting about a meter away from it fills about 50% of my viewing area. The bigger your TV is the farther back you sit.

Yeah, a meter is kinda ridiculous. At that distance, I can see the individual pixel lines, even when the TV is turned off (1080i) and I imagine it's even worse on a larger screen.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
Tashi0106 said:
I've never played this game but my first college roommate used to play this song while doing his artwork. I had to know it, shit's like, addictive, I don't know lol

If you can, hunt down a copy and get totally trashed. Drugs, booze, hookers - whatever does the trick for you and some pals. Then play the game for the first time with a bunch of folks.

Unforgettable experience.

daedalius

So, the only thing remotely useful I've heard so far is talking about input lag. Is that something that is actually listed in the tv stats?

I assure you I totally enjoy my current 42" television now, I don't really sit terribly close when I am playing... maybe 4-6 feet or so?

kylej said:
Input lag? What is this the stone age? Stop buying Walmart LCDs and get a proper plasma.

Plasma it is!

TrounceX said:
Big TV's make you bad at Halo

Fact.
making shit up makes your posts useless.

I play on a 50" TV and do perfectly fine. If your TV has input lag that is your fault for buying a cheap TV. Do not blame the TV size.

kylej said:
There are apparently over 70,000 people playing MW3 right now. With CE out next week, I think it's about time to say goodbye to Reach.

Anyone want to write a eulogy? Some last words? No? Ok.
Serious?

I hate CoD. How dare it beat out my beloved Halo with such force. Le sigh.

FyreWulff

OuterWorldVoice said:
This reminds me - go pick up copy with no line at Target/k-Mart etc any time tomorrow.

This is because K-Mart never left the 90s and they don't know what lines are yet.

This is the setup I'm going to be anniversaring on:

oCaFRl.jpg

PNut

Banned
daedalius said:
Plasma it is!

Get yourself a nice Sony Trinitron 27" CRT for Halo, if you can find one. I've got a nice plasma 32" but it's amazing how much better I do playing on the Sony in competitive games.

Edit- Why am I still Junior? What are the requirements for regular Member?

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Devin Olsen said:
making shit up makes your posts useless.

I play on a 50" TV and do perfectly fine. If your TV has input lag that is your fault for buying a cheap TV. Do not blame the TV size.
\\Nah it's true. My TV is huge and I am proportionately bad at Halo.

lybertyboy

Thinks the Evil Empire is just misunderstood.
Letters said:
No, plasmas have dull picture quality. High end LCDs like the hx929 or lw9800 shit all over the plasmas.
So much wrong with this post. Though arguments over TV technology usually turn religious in nature.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
FyreWulff said:
This is because K-Mart never left the 90s and they don't know what lines are yet.

This is the setup I'm going to be anniversaring on:

oCaFRl.jpg

God how do you keep your setup so clean? Mine is so dusty and there are so many cables running on and behind my desk. My mixamp and splitters and such for my stream make my setup a cable nightmare. I also have my 3DS dock up here and some shitty pc speakers for when I don't feel like using my PC 350s. I was just going to take everything off and clean it all up the other day because all the dust but it was such a daunting task, I said fuck it lol. I'll do it at some point though, maybe take more photos too.

Beautiful setup btw.

edit: I've been playing Halo on small TV's for years now. I played Halo 2 on a 27 inch Tube, then Halo 3 on a busted 23 inch tube until I got my Acer monitor. 22 inch. Now I play on an Acer 23 inch. I can't go back to big screens. I played in a tournament once in Halo 3 where I was forced to play on a projection screen while my opponent was on a monitor. Yea, I lost. lol

Tashi0106 said:
God how do you keep your setup so clean? Mine is so dusty and there are so many cables running on and behind my desk. My mixamp and splitters and such for my stream make my setup a cable nightmare. I also have my 3DS dock up here and some shitty pc speakers for when I don't feel like using my PC 350s. I was just going to take everything off and clean it all up the other day because all the dust but it was such a daunting task, I said fuck it lol. I'll do it at some point though, maybe take more photos too.

Beautiful setup btw.

edit: I've been playing Halo on small TV's for years now. I played Halo 2 on a 27 inch Tube, then Halo 3 on a busted 23 inch tube until I got my Acer monitor. 22 inch. Now I play on an Acer 23 inch. I can't go back to big screens. I played in a tournament once in Halo 3 where I was forced to play on a projection screen while my opponent was on a monitor. Yea, I lost. lol
If you want to talk about a cable nightmare...

kcgn6p.jpg

- Surround sound speakers for TV
- Surround sound speakers for PC
- Surround sound headphones to swap between the two

feel

lybertyboy said:
So much wrong with this post. Though arguments over TV technology usually turn religious in nature.
I buy like 2 or 3 top of the line TVs per year on my search for the definitive flawless one. Can't ever get myself to like the look of the few wildly acclaimed plasmas I give a chance. The white peak is always lacking. Full array local dimming led-backlit LCDs all the way for me from now until the next big thing, the best ones have very bright white, pitch blacks and excedingly accurate color, alongside the usual pop and sharp pq of lcds.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
Letters said:
I buy like 2 or 3 top of the line TVs per year on my search for the definitive flawless one. Can't ever get myself to like the look of the few wildly acclaimed plasmas I give a chance. The white peak is always lacking. Full array local dimming led-backlit LCDs all the way for me from now until the next big thing, the best ones have very bright white, pitch blacks and excedingly accurate color, alongside the usual pop and sharp pq of lcds.

2-3 per year? Feck, what do you do with them all? I bet your bathroom has a few too at that rate.

GhaleonEB

One side effect of owning a home built in 1940 is that none of the rooms were built with a large television in mind. So a 32" is literally the largest any room can optimally support, because you can't get comfortably far enough away from one bigger. So I use a 32" set, which is just right for the den. Any larger and it would be face-filling.

feel

Slightly Live said:
2-3 per year? Feck, what do you do with them all? I bet your bathroom has a few too at that rate.
hehe nah, after a few months of calibrating and testing when I realize a TV once again is not THE tv I'm looking for I sell it.

Top Bottom