• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT7| What are They to Say Now?

Hypertrooper said:
So Squidhands and Tunavi don't want to drive to Houston for the Anniversary launch event? Certain Affinity posted this a few minutes ago:
Oh, hell yes. Thank you for keeping up with Twitter/CA's site, Hyper. :)

feel

daedalius said:
Those are 3 good sets, the LG LED with the matte screen is great for during the day or bright room conditions but I couldn't get past the blurry motion in game mode while playing pro evo, and the subpar black level performance during the night. I haven't tried the other 2 but that Samsung plasma should be the best out of the 3 in dark room conditions where it will excel in all areas (not sure if that specific model buzzes, I had a top of the line plasma a couple of years ago that buzzed loudly when the screen was too bright and I hated it, check the OT on avsforums to see if this is still a problem with their plasmas). I don't recommend Panasonic because in my experience with their top of the line plasmas of previous years, their black levels annoyingly deteriorate over time, their white level limiters piss me off (whites don't reach a satisfying level because of a tool that nerfs it past a certain level), and they do an awful job on color gradation.

Tunavi

Banned
squidhands said:
Oh, hell yes. Thank you for keeping up with Twitter/CA's site, Hyper. :)
You going to this? It's a 3 hours drive. Rooster Teeth/Certain Affinity are from Austin, not sure why they couldn't have just stayed here. :/

Tha Robbertster said:
I hope I'll get a text message from game mania saturday/friday about Anniversery. So far, they've sold BF3 2 days early and Skyrim 4 days early.
I got Reach five days earlier from my GAME store, I have a feeling I'll have it this Friday.

First thing I'll do is going into forge and have a look at all the new beautiful maps, after that I'll experience my first heroic playthrough... so hyped! I haven't watched any of the BTS vids so it will be a surprise :D

Tunavi said:
You going to this? It's a 3 hours drive. Rooster Teeth/Certain Affinity are from Austin, not sure why they couldn't have just stayed here. :/
Look at that again. CA are going to be at a Gamestop here in Austin at the Arboretum. That's a 20min drive for me. :)

Tunavi

Banned
squidhands said:
Look at that again. CA are going to be at a Gamestop here in Austin at the Arboretum. That's a 20min drive for me. :)
Awesome, now I see what you're talking about. What time do you think you're leaving at?

Dax01 said:
Completely disagree. Avalanche stands toe-to-toe with any BTB map in Halo 2.

Laser voids all arguments about a map being good.

Seriously though, I never thought Avalanche was anything more than a solid map. It was held back by some questionable weapon spawn choices and the tunnel system was superior on Sidewinder IMO. Far too much of the fighting was funneled to that middle room that connected both sides of the map.

But on to better things, playlist details today! What do you guys think the mysterious* fifth playlist is?

*By mysterious I mean that David just didn't remember what it was at the time of the podcast :p

Zeouterlimits said:
You have to tell if you're a cop!
cartman.jpg

RESPECT MY AUTHORITAH!

GECK said:
Maybe on the time thing, but Halo is objectively a more competitive game.

In COD, 95% of encounters are strictly reaction based. While fast reaction time in Halo will give you the advantage, you have to actually sustain that advantage due to kill times which produces more varied results. Communication and teamshot are considerably more vital as well. Also: strafe and movement. More actual *thinking* is required during the average competitive game of Halo. Checkers vs Chess.

In Halo, you want to control your opponent spawns just like COD, but also the weapons. You spawn with whatever the hell you want in COD and going an 8 kill streak to help bust out of that spawn trap from the Pavelow you randomly found in a care package is just that. Random.

As to which is easier, eh. That seems a bit more subjective on an individual level.

I understand CoD is more reaction time based, thats one of the skills that caters to certain players more in CoD than in Halo. Why is that skill less important or commendable than the skills required for a long Halo kill time?

Second, actually in competitive MLG there is no killstreaks in CoD MLG. You are discussing basic CoD gameplay not competitive MLG CoD gameplay. Team Slayer has a shitload of randomness too btw but thats not what were talking about here. Also randomness is irrelevent in these arguments, its just as hard to be good at flipping a coin than it is to be bad at it.

Checkers vs Chess is exactly my argument. Yes Chess may be more complex I understand that. You play the opponent though so while yes you may have more knowledge of Chess which allows you to win, so can the opponent. The complexity of the game is irrelevant. YOU ARE PLAYING THE OPPONENT. Checkers you play the opponent sure it may not be as complex of a game but that doesn't make it any easier to win because the opponent can be just as versed in this less complex game. Understand?

Basically two things factor into skill level
1. Natural Skill
2. Familiarity with game

One of those things you can change.

Homeboyd

Codes for the maps huh...

*Checks PMs*

That's interesting...

*Checks PMs*

Bet some gaffers get some early codes...

*Checks PMs*

Hey, I think I was left of the list.
lybertyboy said:
Who is your daddy, and what does he do?
Dude! Blow was the reference.

Steelyuhas said:
Laser voids all arguments about a map being good.
No it doesn't.
It was held back by some questionable weapon spawn choices and the tunnel system was superior on Sidewinder IMO.
I disagree. Surely, yes, some weapon spawns could've been changed but overall it was competent. It didn't do much to bring down the map because of how versatile the map design was.
Far too much of the fighting was funneled to that middle room that connected both sides of the map.
Then I don't think we played the same map. Combat was all over the place.

Any GAFers want to do a propper 12 players test on an Invasion map, I'll be online in about 30 minutes or so... gt is Gabotron ES.

Last one was about two months ago and I want to test some changes.

daedalius

Letters said:
Those are 3 good sets, the LG LED with the matte screen is great for during the day or bright room conditions but I couldn't get past the blurry motion in game mode while playing pro evo, and the subpar black level performance during the night. I haven't tried the other 2 but that Samsung plasma should be the best out of the 3 in dark room conditions where it will excel in all areas (not sure if that specific model buzzes, I had a top of the line plasma a couple of years ago that buzzed loudly when the screen was too bright and I hated it, check the OT on avsforums to see if this is still a problem with their plasmas). I don't recommend Panasonic because in my experience with their top of the line plasmas of previous years, their black levels annoyingly deteriorate over time, their white level limiters piss me off (whites don't reach a satisfying level because of a tool that nerfs it past a certain level), and they do an awful job on color gradation.

Thanks for the info. I am going to go check them out at Bestbuy tonight, so I'm sure I'll have some more impressions after that. Too bad they won't have an xbox playing halo hooked up for me to check that ;) (although I think someone said they did just that, I'd feel a bit silly though)

Striker

That was clear the issue with Avalanche. I hated the way they narrowed down the paths and basically created a very small shortcut from the u-shape design. Shotgun, two Snipers, two Overshield, and a small corridor? Yuck. Grenade fest.

Though it was clearly the game's best BTB map, as unfortunate as that was.

Sai-kun said:
Yay! It's Halo 2's 7th anniversary, and my BF and I's 3rd! Halo is almost the only reason I remember the date, rofl. :lol
Three years? Congrats! My girlfriend and I are about to come up on our 3rd.

Official verdict:

1st place: Battlefield 3 (visceral, enjoyable combat with cumbersome, disadvantaging unlock system*)
2nd place: MW3 (crack-like gameplay/reward system plagued by questionable maps)
3rd place: Halo: Reach (it's been covered before)

Hopefully the new playlists and maps make me want to pick up Reach again.

*I should add that it's the same system from previous Battlefield games, but the addition of prone in BF3 leaves those who haven't unlocked a scope for their weapon at a major disadvantage.

daedalius

Hitmonchan107 said:
Three years? Congrats! My girlfriend and I are about to come up on our 3rd.

Hopefully the new playlists and maps make me want to pick up Reach again.

Pfft, 9.

I wonder if the CEA playlists are going to completely kill Vanilla Reach? If not kill, probably will put a pretty big dent into them, I'd imagine. Although how much of a bigger dent some of them can take without being deserted we have yet to see.

I still can't believe some of these waypoint guys wouldn't think the beta TU changes are going to apply to all playlists... why would we be testing 85% bloom and AA changes if that stuff isn't even in the Anniversary gametype?

Dax01 said:
Then I don't think we played the same map. Combat was all over the place.

Apparently we did, because my experience was quite different.

The laser is a travesty to Halo, and it tries its hardest to ruin Big Team.

I saw CA put one on Timberland (well "Ridgeline"). CA's power weapon placement has been very questionable. First the 30 power weapons in Highlands, with only one of those (grenade launcher) spawning in a central position of the map. Now, of what we know of, we have SEVEN power weapons on Beaver Creek, they have added a sword to Damnation (already has a shotgun, seems very unnecessary), and there is a laser on Timberland.

daedalius said:
Pfft, 9.

I wonder if the CEA playlists are going to completely kill Vanilla Reach? If not kill, probably will put a pretty big dent into them, I'd imagine. Although how much of a bigger dent some of them can take without being deserted we have yet to see.

Half of them are already deserted. The default Reach playlists are in desperate need of some consolidation already, and I can only assume that will get much worse with CEA playlists next week. Three 4v4/5v5 slayer only playlists with stock settings, that's just silly.

ElRenoRaven

Steelyuhas said:
Apparently we did, because my experience was quite different.

The laser is a travesty to Halo, and it tries its hardest to ruin Big Team.

I saw CA put one on Timberland (well "Ridgeline"). CA's power weapon placement has been very questionable. First the 30 power weapons in Highlands, with only one of those (grenade launcher) spawning in a central position of the map. Now, of what we know of, we have SEVEN power weapons on Beaver Creek, they have added a sword to Damnation (already has a shotgun, seems very unnecessary), and there is a laser on Timberland.

Yea I have to say while I like CA's maps their weapon placement sucks total ass. I do also agree that the Laser is a blight on Halo. The first thing I do with new maps is hunt it down and remove the laser and replace it with a rocket launcher. You'd be amazed how much more fun the maps are then because vehicles can actually get some use without being 1 shot every time you use one. As much as I hated the insane rocket lock on in Halo 2, I hate the damn laser a million times more and I honestly pray to god we do not see it return in Halo 4 and beyond. I mean it too. Assuming Halo 4 is every bit as good as the past games I'll gladly buy a second copy to give away if 343 hears my cries and remove the laser.

Havok

Steelyuhas said:
CA's power weapon placement has been very questionable. First the 30 power weapons in Highlands, with only one of those (grenade launcher) spawning in a central location.
Even that wasn't central in a strict sense, the blue team (I think) teleporter exit is way closer to it. It's just poor placement all around on Highlands, making it kind of hard to get too excited for the CEA offerings.

PsychoRaven said:
Yea I have to say while I like CA's maps their weapon placement sucks total ass. I do also agree that the Laser is a blight on Halo. The first thing I do with new maps is hunt it down and remove the laser and replace it with a rocket launcher. You'd be amazed how much more fun the maps are then because vehicles can actually get some use without being 1 shotted every time you use one. As much as I hated the insane rocket lock on in Halo 2, I hate the damn laser a million times more and I honestly pray to god we do not see it return in Halo 4 and beyond. I mean it too. Assuming Halo 4 is every bit as good as the past games I'll gladly buy a second copy to give away if 343 hears my cries and remove the laser.

It is especially irksome in Reach considering that the Rockets are very strong, and the Plasma Launcher is much better alternative to the Laser as well. On top of that, the vehicles are not nearly as strong as they were in Halo 3, so its even more unnecessary.

Dax01 said:
Yeah, our experiences with the map are different because of different play-styles. That, and you only played the map a total of 24 times according to your Bnet profile while I played on it 214 times.

There was no DLC implementation in H3!

Kidding, I know that BTB became DLC required, but I had pretty much given up on H3 by that point/played Squad Battle instead.

As much as H3 frustrates me, I have an odd urge to play it. I might play a few games later today.

Havok said:
Even that wasn't central in a strict sense, the blue team (I think) teleporter exit is way closer to it. It's just poor placement all around on Highlands, making it kind of hard to get too excited for the CEA offerings.

Yeah I'm excited for the 4v4 offerings because of the all Anniversary gametype playlist, which would imply only the classic versions of the maps, but I'm concerned about the Big Team matchmaking offerings for CEA.

ElRenoRaven

Steelyuhas said:
It is especially irksome in Reach considering that the Rockets are very strong, and the Plasma Launcher is much better alternative to the Laser as well. On top of that, the vehicles are not nearly as strong as they were in Halo 3, so its even more unnecessary.

True. The vehicles in Reach really come off like Papier-mâché vehicles. It's pathetic when a damn DMR can tip a Warthog so easily. I love to play with indestructible vehicles on except there is that damn bug of the driver being unkillable.

Havok said:
I'm okay with an overabundance of power weapons and poor placement. That can be fixed in Forge.

Assuming they're willing to update the map variants in the playlists, of course. I still think my Uplands variant should replace the default Highlands, but I'm biased.

Havok

ncsuDuncan said:
I'm okay with an overabundance of power weapons and poor placement. That can be fixed in Forge.

Assuming they're willing to update the map variants in the playlists, of course.
That's the real sticking point, though. Marginal changes were made to spawn times and ammo counts on Highlands and then it was never touched again despite having some incredibly obvious flaws. I hope it's different in the Anniversary stuff, but that doesn't set a sterling precedent.

Edit: Guys, use the global heatmaps for your arguments. Personal maps don't mean anything. I'd post it if I wasn't reading from a phone. It shows pretty clearly that activity was very centralized around that crappy hallway.

bobs99 ... said:
KyleJ have you not noticed that generally a good Halo player will be an AMAZING CoD player, but it doesnt work the same way the other way round.
Lol, where are you getting this info? I could just as easily throw down some anecdotal evidence. I have a friend who's spent a ridiculous amount of time in MW1 and 2, max prestige in both games, usually goes at least +30 K/D in most TDM games and even more in objective games. He'd probably destroy you in HC S&D. No surprise, he's also an amazing Halo player. People that are good at shooters will generally be good at any shooter. They've got the fundamentals down (moving and aiming), they just have to get acclimated with the rules of a new game like any other player would.

Also interesting is that COD players going to Halo have to deal with a more sluggish and less responsive framerate and controls. Halo players going to COD feel like they've just had that ball and chain removed from their leg.

daedalius

daedalius said:

Anyone else?

Slow day in Halogaf... everyone is at the CEA thread I think.

daedalius said:
Anyone else?

Slow day in Halogaf... everyone is at the CEA thread I think.
Every set is different, even among the same brand. If you want my honest opinion, Samsungs have been known to lag in general. A friend has a 50"~ LG HDTV and it's unusable for any sort of competitive game. I don't have any personal experience with Panasonic.

Just been to pizzahut, no halo ce pizza i am
Sad. In other news im so bloated im going to die halogaf really dosnt want to know where im sending this post from.

TheOddOne

StalkerUKCG said:
Just been to pizzahut, no halo ce pizza i am
Sad. In other news im so bloated im going to die halogaf really dosnt want to know where im sending this post from.
kfc-logo.jpg

You are already dead.

daedalius

Rickenslacker said:
Every set is different, even among the same brand. If you want my honest opinion, Samsungs have been known to lag in general. A friend has a 50"~ LG HDTV and it's unusable for any sort of competitive game. I don't have any personal experience with Panasonic.

I must be really lucky, I have a 42" Olevia from Target right now and it seems to work fine, I never feel like there is any input lag or anything. Its not anything special at all, only goes up to 720p, etc.

Maybe he needs to run it through a receiver or something, I think that helps.

daedalius said:
I must be really lucky, I have a 42" Olevia from Target right now and it seems to work fine, I never feel like there is any input lag or anything. Its not anything special at all, only goes up to 720p, etc.

Maybe he needs to run it through a receiver or something, I think that helps.
Yeah, it's not like there aren't large HDTVs that are lagless or anything, it's just that the research for them ends up being far more limited. However, input lag is a pesky thing, when you go by feel it's very easy to adjust yourself to a couple frames of lag, but going back to a lagless set will reveal just how snappy things would feel otherwise. I would've been content with my old Samsung set until I played Street Fighter 4 on a friend's TV, and then later on my PC's old CRT.

http://majornelson.com/2011/11/09/live-activity-for-week-of-october-31/

1 Call of Duty: Black Ops
2 Battlefield 3
3 Modern Warfare 2
4 Gears of War 3
5 FIFA 12
6 Halo: Reach
7 Madden NFL 12
8 Batman: Arkham City
9 Forza Motorsport 4
10 GTA IV
11 Call of Duty 4
12 NBA 2K12
13 FIFA Soccer 11
14 Halo 3
15 NHL12
16NCAA Football 12
17 Call of Duty: WaW
18 Red Dead Redemption
19 Assassin’s Creed Brotherhood
20 Dead Island

Halo Reach 6th, Halo 3 14th.

lol @ BF3 not beating blops

Hmm, I wonder what that list is going to be like in a week or two.

I'm guessing:

1 MW3
2 Battlefield 3
3 Halo: Reach
4 Gears of War 3
5 FIFA '12
6 CoD: BLOPS
7 Halo: CEA
8 MW2
9 Madden NFL 12
10 Batman: Arkham City

- Reach will get a big boost from CEA, since the multiplayer portion registers as Reach.
- Of all the games on last week's list, BLOPS and MW2 will probably take the biggest hit from MW3.

Booshka

ncsuDuncan said:

I'm guessing:

1 MW3
2 Battlefield 3
4 Gears of War 3
5 FIFA '12
8 MW2
9 Madden NFL 12

- Reach will get a big boost from CEA, since the multiplayer portion registers as Reach.
- Of all the games on last week's list, BLOPS and MW2 will probably take the biggest hit from MW3.
Blops won't take a hit until all the kiddies get MW3 for Christmas, even then it will still probably be in the Top 3.

ncsuDuncan said:

I'm guessing:

1 MW3
2 Battlefield 3
4 Gears of War 3
5 FIFA '12
8 MW2
9 Madden NFL 12

Blops and MW2 will probably not sink that much.

kylej

Banned
xxjuicesxx said:
I understand CoD is more reaction time based, thats one of the skills that caters to certain players more in CoD than in Halo. Why is that skill less important or commendable than the skills required for a long Halo kill time?

Barrow Roll said:
Lol, where are you getting this info? I could just as easily throw down some anecdotal evidence. I have a friend who's spent a ridiculous amount of time in MW1 and 2, max prestige in both games, usually goes at least +30 K/D in most TDM games and even more in objective games. He'd probably destroy you in HC S&D. No surprise, he's also an amazing Halo player. People that are good at shooters will generally be good at any shooter. They've got the fundamentals down (moving and aiming), they just have to get acclimated with the rules of a new game like any other player would.

I'm glad some people still have a brain in their heads. Should hopefully be able to play some Blops 2 soon. School is ca-razy right now.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
ncsuDuncan said:

I'm guessing:

1 MW3
2 Battlefield 3
4 Gears of War 3
5 FIFA '12
8 MW2
9 Madden NFL 12

Nah it'll be

MW3
Blops
MW2
Gears
FIFA
Reach

Top Bottom