• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT7| What are They to Say Now?

ElRenoRaven

Tha Robbertster said:
If that happens, i'm convinced CoD players have found a way to clone themselves to play all 3 games at the same time.

So we found out in the Anniversary OT how the code works. It's a code to download the maps to your hdd from live. Frankie says that he thinks the map pack is about 2 gigs. So if you're tight on space you might want to start clearing off some for it.

daedalius said:
I dunno, with all the issues I am having with it on my PC, I almost kinda would have rather gotten the 360 version.

360 ain't no saint either, at the mo, the European servers are having problems filling games up with people.

Slightly Live said:
The BR wasn't broken in Halo 3. It worked as intended and designed...

So there's my counter-claim. The Halo 2 BR was broken and didn't perform as intended whereas the Halo 3 BR did and was not broken.

Armour Lock is working as intended and designed. It is utterly broken/breaks the game. I don't think the Halo 3 BR is broken (perhaps from a netcode pov, it is) but I keep seeing the gambit of 'developer intent' used on here in an attempt to deliver finality to an argument when developer intent doesn't mean anything in a world where their product is played millions of times over globally across several years. Their intent is also not necessarily the right one for the game.

ncsuDuncan said:
I'm okay with an overabundance of power weapons and poor placement. That can be fixed in Forge.

I'm not. Because they're never fixed in forge. I was going to make a post the other day about how integral weapon choice and placement is to a map and how this is sometimes underestimated. Take Countdown for example: when I look back on Reach I will remember that as one of the worst maps in the game. The reason? Shotgun, Sword and Concussion Rifle as the power weapons on a tight corridor map. I don't play Squad anymore because practically every game I play in the playlist, Countdown is voted for; it's popular because scrubs can get kills on it with sprint shotgun/sword, plain and simple.

It's such a shame because objectively, I can look at the actual geometry and flow of the map and say it's designed very well and it plays brilliantly in MLG with sniper and rockets. It could be one of the best maps in the game. But there you have it; a map ruined by an overabundance of (close range) power weapons and poor placement. When the game only shipped with a handful of 4v4 viable maps it becomes pretty critical for the title itself.

One can only hope that if the forthcoming maps have problems with power weapon saturation then this is swiftly resolved via a mm update.

Question for Frankie, David or anyone who knows

How much mb will the 7 maps eat up on my harddrive? I'm still on the 20 gb and having to delete and micromanage different game saves in order to free up space; be nice to know in advance so I can reserve the appropriate space :)

lybertyboy

Thinks the Evil Empire is just misunderstood.
stephen08 said:
Was the Halo Bulletin delayed until tomorrow or is it just late going up?

Running a little late due to carry over from yesterday's website outtage. Trust me, it's worth it.

FyreWulff

Zeouterlimits said:
Blarg at Halo 2 Vista's refusal to let me join the party.

Next time should probably just choose a neutral dedi

edit: 7:02pm CST, break time. We'll start again for the second round of games later tonight.

Tunavi said:
I know this will get shot down, but what if host in halo 4 always had a slight handicap?
Or you know, Dedis? Better netcode?. Why handicap a player its the worst possible choice. Honestly host advantage with the current netcode isnt as bad as people make out most of the time, it can be bad but i think people have a few bad games and the "broken game" placebo effect comes into play with people trashing everything.

Halo reach isnt perfect, halo 2 and 3 played much better from a gameplay standpoint but regarding connections and host reach plays much better than either of those. Being from the UK shotguns in H2 became unusable off host and it partly carried on with 3 however i can use them in reach flawlessly for the most part.

The big mistakes in reach to me are player movement and jump height creating a "heavy weight" effect which im not a fan of, and the move more towards player friendly gameplay. Id argue the skill gap is smaller in reach than any other halo game and thats something i really dislike.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Tunavi said:
I know this will get shot down, but what if host in halo 4 always had a slight handicap?
On0Ur.jpg

JMizzlin

Reach being screwy for anyone else?

Both my and my friends ranks are reset, no emblem, can't connect to Reach server.

First time I've booted the game in about 3 weeks and bam, this. Wow.

Crucio

Me and two on my FL are in the same predicament. Credit Limited and Black stats all over.
I noticed in the game we were played just now that almost everybody's emblems had turned default.

Ouch. Hope its nothing drastic.

Edit:
Dashboarded, then restarted Xbox. Nothing.
Nevermind, its back for me.
Well, back to black again!

I think I'm gonna sleep this one through.

PsychoRaven said:
And just as quickly, it's gone.

Edit: apparently not.

Eye Drop said:
Reach being screwy for anyone else?

Both my and my friends ranks are reset, no emblem, can't connect to Reach server.

First time I've booted the game in about 3 weeks and bam, this. Wow.
Plywood and I were getting the weird rank thing earlier but still got into games. Was weird.

I also spotted Frankie searching for games in the "Anniversary Cla" playlist after he ignored my game invite. :O

Ken

Barrow Roll said:
And just as quickly, it's gone.

Edit: apparently not.

Plywood and I were getting the weird rank thing earlier but still got into games. Was weird.

I also spotted Frankie searching for games in the "Anniversary Cla" playlist after he ignored my game invite. :O

Are you two still playing tonight?

ElRenoRaven

The playlists for those getting errors.

Anniversary Squad
4v4 Slayer and Objective
Contains Anniversary Classic and TU game types
Maps: Battle Canyon, Beaver Creek, Solitary, Prisoner, Penance, Damnation, High Noon, Hang ‘Em High
Game types: Anniversary Classic Team Slayer, Anniversary Classic Multiflag, Anniversary Classic Assault, Anniversary Classic 1 Flag, Anniversary Classic 1 Bomb, Team Slayer, Team Slayer DMRs, Team Slayer Pro, Elite slayer, Assault, Multiflag, 1 Flag DMRs, Stockpile, Crazy King DMRs, Neutral Bomb, Headhunter, Hot Potato DMRs, Territories

Anniversary BTB
8v8 Slayer and Objective
Maps: Breakneck, Headlong, Ridgeline, Timberland, High Noon, Hang ‘Em High
Game types: Anniversary Classic Big Team Slayer, Big Team Slayer, Big Team Snipers, Big Team Elite Slayer, Big Team Multiflag, Big Team 1 Flag, Big Team Assault, Big Team 1 Bomb, Big Team Neutral Bomb, Big Team Territories, Big Team Crazy King, Big Team Stockpile

Anniversary FFA
FFA Slayer with a pinch of Objective
Maps: Battle Canyon, Beaver Creek, Solitary, Prisoner, Penance, Damnation, High Noon, Hang ‘Em High
Game types: Anniversary Classic Slayer, Slayer, Slayer DMRs, Slayer Pro, Elite Slayer, Headhunter, Crazy King, Infection, Alpha Zombies, Oddball

Anniversary Classic
4v4 Slayer and Objective
Contains Anniversary Classic game types
Maps: Beaver Creek, Hang ‘Em High, Headlong, Damnation, Prisoner
Game types: Anniversary Classic Team Slayer, Anniversary Classic Team Snipers, Anniversary Classic Multiflag, Anniversary Classic 1 Flag, Anniversary Classic Assault, Anniversary Classic 1 Bomb, Anniversary Classic Oddball

Anniversary Firefight
Contains our most popular Firefight variants
Map: Installation 04
Game types: Arcade Fistfight, Arcade Nadefight, Arcade Rocketfight, Arcade Sniperfight, Arcade FRGfight, Arcade Plasmafight, Arcade Fiestafight, Arcade Arcadefight

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
Hmm, I might just pick up the maps off Live early since I can't afford CEA but have some MS points leftover and I don't want to miss out on the sweet maps.

Will I be able to give away the CEA Reach map codes that come with CEA when I do pick it up if I do this? Is there any region restriction on them?

Might make for a nice giveaway.

ElRenoRaven

Slightly Live said:
Hmm, I might just pick up the maps off Live early since I can't afford CEA but have some MS points leftover and I don't want to miss out on the sweet maps.

Will I be able to give away the CEA Reach map codes that come with CEA when I do pick it up if I do this? Is there any region restriction on them?

Might make for a nice giveaway.

I wouldn't think there would be. Haven't seen anything with Reigon restrictions before. Course I don't buy much DLC.

Ramirez

Elite Slayer, Stockpile, Headhunter, and Hot Potato in Anniversary playlists? SERIOUSLY?

Hype deflated by a million.

I guess Classic doesn't have them, but it still has Team Snipers, ugh.

FyreWulff

Maps on the same exact day as Anniversary seems like it'd be losing them sales but whatever. Neat. And 5$ cheaper than I thought they'd go.

Halo 1 Originals + Maps (30$) are cheaper than Anniversary. And you get the original LAN. So the new achievements and graphics are worth 10$ :p

Is that a new hallway on Headlong?

Anniversary Squad
4v4 Slayer and Objective
Game types: Anniversary Classic Team Slayer, Anniversary Classic Multiflag, Anniversary Classic Assault, Anniversary Classic 1 Flag, Anniversary Classic 1 Bomb, Team Slayer, Team Slayer DMRs, Team Slayer Pro, Elite slayer, Assault, Multiflag, 1 Flag DMRs, Stockpile, Crazy King DMRs, Neutral Bomb, Headhunter, Hot Potato DMRs, Territories

Anniversary Classic
4v4 Slayer and Objective
Contains Anniversary Classic game types
Maps: Beaver Creek, Hang ‘Em High, Headlong, Damnation, Prisoner
Game types: Anniversary Classic Team Slayer, Anniversary Classic Team Snipers, Anniversary Classic Multiflag, Anniversary Classic 1 Flag, Anniversary Classic Assault, Anniversary Classic 1 Bomb, Anniversary Classic Oddball
Uh... what?

Overlap bolded. Why isn't Anniversary Squad just Vanilla Reach? (TU Reach, if you're Fyrewulff.)

feel

Ramirez said:
Elite Slayer, Stockpile, Headhunter, and Hot Potato in Anniversary playlists? SERIOUSLY?

Hype deflated by a million.

I guess Classic doesn't have them, but it still has Team Snipers, ugh.
And I expect the Classic population to be very low if it's indeed the fourth playlist on the list.
Casuals will just flock to the Squad one on top, specially if it has all the content of the Classic one anyways. sigh

edit- @Duncan yep :/

ElRenoRaven

FyreWulff said:
Maps on the same exact day as Anniversary seems like it'd be losing them sales but whatever. Neat. And 5$ cheaper than I thought they'd go.

Halo 1 Originals + Maps (30$) are cheaper than Anniversary. And you get the original LAN. So the new achievements and graphics are worth 10$ :p

Is that a new hallway on Headlong?

Don't forget online co-op and the kinect features. *rolls eyes @ the second half of that sentence*

And yea not a fan of the classic playlists mode choices one bit.

Ken

FyreWulff said:

Nice to have cheaper options for people getting Anniversary just for the maps.

Havok

Those playlists are a little weird. The overlap is strange, but understandable. I just don't see all five of these maintaining the population they need to be successful, especially with the blurred lines between them. Also,

No BTB Snipers please. It's a travesty. Headhunter is an abomination, as is Hot Potato. Elite Slayer is a novelty that should stay in Multiteam. What makes Anniversary Snipers something that should exist in its own right? How could it possibly be different enough to warrant another gametype? The thing is, Anniversary Squad is what had me interested the most with the TU stuff (I'm not sold on the 3SK stuff yet without playing it, and 85% is a sublime balance even with poor bleedthrough), but I don't want any of that fringe stuff, especially not now that the playlist that was supposed to be purged of it, Objective, is now totally filled with that garbage.

Top Bottom