• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT7| What are They to Say Now?

GECK

xxjuicesxx said:
Now with that said within these games. You can argue there is different skill gaps between a noob and a pro, and I would argue Halo has a much larger skill gap. I would also argue that it takes less time to traverse that skill gap than the smaller skill gap that exists in CoD games. Meaning yes CoD noobs can jump in get a bunch of kills and have fun, but to play at the pro level that MLG players do takes tons of time just as much time as a Halo pro does. This excludes those naturally born gifted fucks that are just good at a certain or multiple games.

Maybe on the time thing, but Halo is objectively a more competitive game.

In COD, 95% of encounters are strictly reaction based. While fast reaction time in Halo will give you the advantage, you have to actually sustain that advantage due to kill times which produces more varied results. Communication and teamshot are considerably more vital as well. Also: strafe and movement. More actual *thinking* is required during the average competitive game of Halo. Checkers vs Chess.

In Halo, you want to control your opponent spawns just like COD, but also the weapons. You spawn with whatever the hell you want in COD and going an 8 kill streak to help bust out of that spawn trap from the Pavelow you randomly found in a care package is just that. Random.

As to which is easier, eh. That seems a bit more subjective on an individual level.

Steelyuhas said:
First bold: Avalanche would be considered an weak map in H2 lol, although that still makes it probably the second best H3 BTB map.
Completely disagree. Avalanche stands toe-to-toe with any BTB map in Halo 2.

GhaleonEB said:
Halo 3 after 3 months of release: 4.82m units in the US.

Halo Reach after 13 months of release: 4.75m units in the US.

Discuss.
I know people that were burned by the $60 Halo 3 expansion pack, ODST, that skipped on Reach.

But if this is a factor at all, it's insignificant to the Call of Duty movement. Call of Duty now has the mindshare Halo used to possess with 2, and to a lesser extent, 3.

I missed the meat of the conversation, but going back a few pages I agree with Tashi. CoD is a MUCH easier game than Halo. It truly is easier to get results in CoD. Thats isnt the only reason why its so popular though. I know people that still suck at it but love it. Its a very good game with solid fun mechanics. The fact is, even after unlocking everything, I kept playing the older CoD games, so the argument that its only fun for filling bars doesnt hold any weight. It does offer fun factor.

The way I see it. Halo is the far superior game, but CoD is a HELL of a lot of fun. With Reach I havent had my FPS fix for a while and so Black Ops has lasted me well over the last year. I havent played the new one enough to judge it.

KyleJ have you not noticed that generally a good Halo player will be an AMAZING CoD player, but it doesnt work the same way the other way round.

Also, when I talk about Halo, im not really talking about Reach, any idiot can pick up a shotgun and get a spree in that game. The older Halo games took a lot more skill than CoD does. But if you can play smart in Halo, the same skills will net you greater rewards in CoD.

kylej

Banned
GECK said:
Maybe on the time thing, but Halo is objectively a more competitive game.

In COD, 95% of encounters are strictly reaction based. While fast reaction time in Halo will give you the advantage, you have to actually sustain that advantage due to kill times which produces more varied results. Communication and teamshot are considerably more vital as well. Also: strafe and movement. More actual *thinking* is required during the average competitive game of Halo. Checkers vs Chess.

By that logic, Counter-Strike is strictly reaction based. No place for strategies in that game! Better tell those guys who have been playing competitively for a decade to pack it up, they need to play a man's game like Halo: Reach.

FyreWulff

Halo 2 and Reach stuff I'm doing today, as I posted it on HBO:

Halo: Reach

I will be holding a charity fundraising event called the FyreWulff AR Open Bowl Classic Cup. In this challenge, I will give you a DMR and I use my AR, and then I beat you. Win or lose, I ask that you pledge a donation (of at least 1$) to either the Brian Morden Foundation or Child's Play. I will not be running the ChipIn module this time. If you manage to clean sweep me (ie leave me with zero points at the end of the game), goodies could be in store for you. For each person that shows up with a Halo 2 nameplate, I'll add 2$ to the donation amount from my own pocket.

The FAROBCC will be run today and tomorrow. Your possible map selections are Countdown or Powerhouse. First to 15 wins with a 10 minute time limit. You'll have infinite ammo but are unable to pick up any weapons. No armor abilities, and it's the vanilla Reach bloom.

I may or may not be streaming from my POV during this, it depends on if my computer is up to the task.

If you want to issue me a challenge, send me a text message to gamertag "FyreWulff" starting at 1pm CST and no later than 2pm CST. On Thursday I will be doing the FAROBCC earlier in the morning for any European challengers.

Halo 2 Vista

Since it's Halo 2's birthday and the Xbox version no longer works online, I will be hosting a selection of "The Best Of" Halo 2 gametypes on official maps. 1 Flag CTF Fast on Lockout, Oddball BR on Midship, 3 Plots Turf... we're gonna do it all.

Here's a shortlist of people that have shown interest in playing from GAF, HBO, and PA:

FyreWulff
wwm0nkey
Rickenslacker
Leviathan
Urban Reflex
Stephen L (Soundeffect)
Nikko B201
Total Sellout
Karl2177
Zoolader
blamite

Questionable:
Tashi (if he can get H2V by then)
Lyphen
Zeouterlimits

1 Flag
Terminal
Zanzibar (BR Start)
Relic

1 Bomb
Headlong (BR start)
Zanzibar
Ascension

3 Plots
Turf

2 Flag Classic
Beaver Creek
Midship
Elongation (BR Start)

2 Flag
Sanctuary (BR Start)
Colossus (BR Start)

Territories
Terminal (BR Start)
Containment (BR Start)

KotH Tactics
Warlock
Gemini (Carbine Start + No Radar)

Oddball
Midship (BR Start + No Radar)
Lockout (BR Start + No Radar)
Sanctuary FFA (BR Start)

1 Flag CTF Fast
Ivory Tower
Lockout (BR Start + No Radar)

Neutral Bomb
Backwash
Waterworks (BR Start)
Colossus (BR Start + No Radar)
Midship (No Radar)

FFA Snipers (no radar)
Coagulation
Burial Mounds
Foundation (Beam Start)
Headlong (Beam + Human Start)

Team Slayer
Ascension Rockets
Backwash Plasma Wars
Elongation SWAT (No Radar)
Beaver Creek Shotties (No Radar)
Midship Rifles (No Radar)
Coagulation Gulch Wars
Foundation Fiesta

Juggernaut
Midship 3 vs 1 Juggernaut
Ascension Juggernaut Rifles
Backwash Predator

Closing Ceremonies
Trippin Balls on Backwash
Zombies on Foundation (Shotty and Sword, No Radar)
FFA Plasma Pistols on Waterworks (All Camo, No Radar)

Starting at about 5pm CST and continuing on to about 9 or 10pm CST, I'll be idling in an open game in the browser list. Just look for my gamertag "FyreWulff" and join up. If the game has been set to Invite Only, feel free to send me a request for an invite via text message.

As long as you show up and complete a game, you'll be entered in a drawing for some DLC goodies. I won't mention what they are, but all you have to do is show up and complete a game, so do it!

GhaleonEB said:
I think we just have different primary interests in the game, and each game has excelled in different areas. With Halo 2, it was maps and the things you listed. With Halo 3, it's the overall combat sandbox, and particularly the infantry/vehicle balance. I loved BTB in that game so damn much for that reason. We played a game on Avalanche last month or so with some GAFers that really highlighted why. It was this great back and forth, come from behind thing where every piece clicked into place and we overcame a huge deficit and disparity in vehicle control through team work, communication and smart leveraging of certain tools. It was an absurdly fun game on a great map that was fun in ways BTB never was in Halo 2 for me, or Reach. To paraphrase Luke Timmins, I could play CTF on Valhalla every damn day, forever.

With Reach, it excels at net code, UI and the overall combat feedback loop (shields flaring, etc.). But it dropped hard on everything else.

I'm so hopeful that 343 will really concentrate at nailing that core experience again. Focus hard on marrying maps to game types, to properly sizing the overlap (so things like Invasion gutting BTB doesn't happen). For continuing to improve on Reach's net code while returning the combat back to the fundamentals that made Halo, Halo.

If they can do that, hot damn. But it's hard as hell to do.
Please, for the love of all that is holy, do this. Reach would be a much stronger MP game if gametypes suited the maps on a singular basis, rather than just generic gametypes in their playlists. MLG does this to great success, and even doing half the work that Killa KC does on playtesting the gametypes prior to release would pay huge dividends.

FyreWulff said:
It is pretty weird that they'd go through the trouble of adding achievements and not throw in another one for Firefight, especially with Installation 04.

We still have 50 gamerscore unclaimed, as that puts Reach up to 1700.
I really hope 343 gives more love to the Firefight playlists than Bungie did. Some of us truly enjoy the gametype and would love to have some better/diverse offerings than what's currently (not) there. Bringing back a more ODST-style Limited gametype for 4 players would be a good start. Doesn't need it's own playlist, but it would be nice to have that as a voting option over the standard BigAssGun fare.

Havok

Dax01 said:
Completely disagree. Avalanche stands toe-to-toe with any BTB map in Halo 2.
With tweaks, maybe, but bad placement clustered around the double-OS double-sniper shotgun grenade laser hallway was a seriously awful decision that brings it down quite a bit. Could have used an alternate infantry shortcut low down, even if it's just the hallway from Sidewinder unblocked.

It's still probably my favorite Halo 3 map.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
HiredN00bs said:
I know people that were burned by the $60 Halo 3 expansion pack, ODST, that skipped on Reach.

But if this is a factor at all, it's insignificant to the Call of Duty movement. Call of Duty now has the mindshare Halo used to possess with 2, and to a lesser extent, 3.

I resent that. ODST was a complete package. I would have loved it at $40, but it was well worth the $60.

JMizzlin

Zeouterlimits said:
I thought it would be a definite, but then they just had a sale on them 2 weeks ago.
I'd like to think they'd be smart enough to do it again, and then again at Christmas.

Two weeks? Damn, just missed out. Hopefully they do it again soon, considering the maps aren't included with CE:A.

Thanks for the info!

Do you live in England and have nothing to do on Saturday? Check this out:
This Saturday, 12th November, from 7:00 – 10:30pm Halo fans are in for a treat at our Kingston store.

Come along for a Halo-themed in-store experience, surrounded by iconic artwork from the franchise, and a bank of Xbox 360 consoles loaded with the much-anticipated Halo: Combat Evolved Anniversary multiplayer.

Bragging rights and huge prizes are up for grabs for gamers who prove they have what it takes to take on the Covenant – including two grand prizes of a Halo: Reach limited edition Xbox 360 console, a Kinect sensor, a copy of Halo Anniversary, an Xbox 360 Bluetooth Headset, one year’s Xbox LIVE Gold subscription and a massive 10,000 Microsoft Points.

Other swag up for grabs include Halo T-shirts and Halo Universe R/C vehicles from Zappies Limited.

There'll even be special Halo anniversary pizza to munch!

Don't miss out!

Time Saturday, November 12 · 7:00pm - 10:30pm
Location GAME Kingston Upon Thames (KT1 1TP)
https://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=126227780819097

Happy Birthday Halo 2!

Dang, Bungie got another "care package" from Activision:
http://twitter.com/?photo_id=1#!/bungietweets/status/133697475067383808/photo/1

Hypertrooper said:
Package looks nice. Otherwise a bit disappointed about the manual.
The Halo 1 and 2 manuals were awesome with their descriptions of the weapons and vehicles along with the back story. I think the Halo 3 one was similar, I don't remember. Anyways, I'm not surprised, manuals have been dying. It is a shame really. Hopefully we will get an awesome Halo 4 manual.

Mojo said:
Vehicle boarding is the best addition that this franchise has had, peace
Yes, this is something that I can say without a shadow of a doubt was an improvement over what came before it.

Dual wielding/equipment/armour abilities/bloom/etc however, can all go to hell.

Deadly Cyclone said:
I resent that. ODST was a complete package. I would have loved it at $40, but it was well worth the $60.
I still think it is the single best Halo game you can buy on the 360. The entirety of 3's multiplayer, and the best Halo campaign on the 360? Hell yeah. Though as a person getting all the Halo 3 map packs and such up to that point it's understandable to feel burned at the full price release.

feel

Ramirez said:
I'm glad someone in here does.
Just wanted to let you know he's not the only one. You're one of the few here who hasn't forgotten what good Halo is supposed to play like, and doesn't settle for really bad Halo just because it's called Halo and the community is playing it and is not afraid to speak up in hopes of helping return it to former glory.

Gabotron ES said:
Looks like there is indeed a code for the Anniversary Map Pack, meaning you can't copy the maps to multiple Xboxes like you could with the Halo 2 Map Pack disc.

Not surprising, I always assumed there would be a code. I just know there were some people on the Gaming side wondering if it would work like the H2 disc.

I wonder if you have to actually download the maps though or if you can just copy them from the disc once you put in the code.

Striker

Mojo said:
Vehicle boarding is the best addition that this franchise has had, peace
Until they brought in things like vehicle stun and causing you be to be practically immobile as you're knocked out of the vehicle. The best part of board is countering the guy who is jumping on the back of your Wraith, or hopping off the ghost as the guy's jumping on you, and putting a plasma grenade on his back.

GhaleonEB

Ken said:
Hard to believe, but there used to be a time when manuals were more than 10 pages long, in color, and enjoyable to read.
Yup, it's one of the little things I look forward to with new games that is slowly being stripped away. The Reach manual is very well done. In Halo 2, the manual was part of the selling point of the CE, written from the Covenant point of view. Great stuff.

Eight pages, two sheets of paper. Son, I am disappoint.

ElRenoRaven

Ken said:
Hard to believe, but there used to be a time when manuals were more than 10 pages long, in color, and enjoyable to read.

Yup. Let's just take a look at the Orignal's shall we. First thing you notice is a nice colored cover. Following that is 29 damn pages of story, weapon and vehicles details, character details, details on modes and of course a bit of the required controls, credits, warranty info, etc.

It was a damn amazing manual. Hell the other Halo games followed suit with equally as good manuals. It's the one thing I could always count on the Halo series to have unlike yearly sequel game series like COD, etc.

So Squidhands and Tunavi don't want to drive to Houston for the Anniversary launch event? Certain Affinity posted this a few minutes ago:
Halo Anniversary Launch Events

Only 5 days to go until the launch of Halo Anniversary! Microsoft is throwing a number of launch events at Microsoft stores in the United States. And Certain Affinity developers will be at the ones in Seattle and Houston, as well as at the Arboretum GameStop in Austin, Texas. Come celebrate with us next week!

FyreWulff

PsychoRaven said:
Yup. Let's just take a look at the Orignal's shall we. First thing you notice is a nice colored cover. Following that is 29 damn pages of story, weapon and vehicles details, character details, details on modes and of course a bit of the required controls, credits, warranty info, etc.

It was a damn amazing manual. Hell the other Halo games followed suit with equally as good manuals. It's the one thing I could always count on the Halo series to have unlike yearly sequel game series like COD, etc.

Well, also, when you bought the original Halo 1? Whether it was on November 15th, 2001 or March 27th, 2002 or August 3rd, 2003, you got the entire gameplay sandbox. Gaming today? Sandbox parts are unavailable because you didn't buy the game exactly on the first day. That's the industry for you, though.

Kujo

Striker said:
Until they brought in things like vehicle stun and causing you be to be practically immobile as you're knocked out of the vehicle. The best part of board is countering the guy who is jumping on the back of your Wraith, or hopping off the ghost as the guy's jumping on you, and putting a plasma grenade on his back.
Was that stun in H2? I remember in it 3, thought the game screwed up first couple of times it happened.

ElRenoRaven

FyreWulff said:
Well, also, when you bought the original Halo 1? Whether it was on November 15th, 2001 or March 27th, 2002 or August 3rd, 2003, you got the entire gameplay sandbox. Gaming today? Sandbox parts are unavailable because you didn't buy the game exactly on the first day. That's the industry for you, though.

Oh don't get me started on the ways the industry screws the customers now with preorder bonuses, retailer specific preorder bonuses, and just "VIP" passes and shit like all that. Sadly I don't see those practices going away either.

Devin Olsen said:
Wow how did you manage that?
TheOddOne said:
Gamemania (a gamestore) in The Netherlands doesn't give a fuck about 11-11-11 release date. Now I'm making people jelly. JELLY.

GarthVaderUK said:
I'm disappointed, where is the Grunt meat?

Ken said:
Especially back then Fiction was a big part of a manual. :( Miss these times. I hope Halo 4 is going to get a real clever manual.

Havok said:
With tweaks, maybe, but bad placement clustered around the double-OS double-sniper shotgun grenade laser hallway was a seriously awful decision that brings it down quite a bit. Could have used an alternate infantry shortcut low down, even if it's just the hallway from Sidewinder unblocked.

It's still probably my favorite Halo 3 map.
I think you raise some fair points but the map was so versatile – you were never in one spot for too long – that such a set up never really bothered me.

Though the vehicle stun was an unwelcome addition.

Ramirez

Letters said:
Just wanted to let you know he's not the only one. You're one of the few here who hasn't forgotten what good Halo is supposed to play like, and doesn't settle for really bad Halo just because it's called Halo and the community is playing it and is not afraid to speak up in hopes of helping return it to former glory.

*high-five*

Striker

Mojo said:
Was that stun in H2? I remember in it 3, thought the game screwed up first couple of times it happened.
Neither were in 2. Halo 3 had you become a walking statue as you got boarded, and were most often going to get killed unless you had some assistance or the enemy just took off instead of simply killing you.

All around it's strange decisions like that which dramatically change infantry-vehicle combat.

lybertyboy

Thinks the Evil Empire is just misunderstood.
Tha Robbertster said:
I hope I'll get a text message from game mania saturday/friday about Anniversery. So far, they've sold BF3 2 days early and Skyrim 4 days early.
And where are they located? :)

Top Bottom