• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT7| What are They to Say Now?

FyreWulff

wwm0nkey said:
What is even worse is that they had a chance and actually still do have a chance to bring back Halo 2 PC but its not going to happen.

They won't put it's achievements on Waypoint and Bungie refuses to acknowledge it exists and let you unlock the Halo 2 nameplate with it (seeing as how Marathon unlocks with the same method they could use for 2).

Halo 2 PC was sent to die

Trasher said:
Looks like a Lego to me.

While it is indeed a Lego Bonthan mini figure, that is not the Deathstar, in fact, it is a Providence-Class carrier/destroyer used by the CIS, or the Separatist, navy. Retired after issuing order 66, killing most of the Jedi, and Darth Sideous instituting a new Galactic Empire to replace the senate. As the separatist have then lost the war the droid armies were shut down and the the CIS navy was scraped for the empires new fleet of Star Destroyers.

Also those displays of bombs and ships, the ships are CIS droid star fighters, or known as "vulture droids".

The Deathstar doesn't even exist at the time this picture was taken :p

Ramirez said:
I'm glad someone in here does.

...Then he is probably going to love me more considering my crazy geek out post >.>

Retro said:
... Way to blow it. I guess this means we're not playing Star Wars Quotes anymore. /cry

I still love you.

you need to look a couple posts up :p

wwm0nkey

FyreWulff said:
They won't put it's achievements on Waypoint and Bungie refuses to acknowledge it exists and let you unlock the Halo 2 nameplate with it (seeing as how Marathon unlocks with the same method they could use for 2).

Pretty much.

I mean doing the Waypoint thing, add in Ranks/MM, proper mod support, sell on most DD platforms (including Steam) and then we are good to go.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
A27_StarWolf said:
While it is indeed a Lego Bonthan mini figure, that is not the Deathstar, in fact, it is a Providence-Class carrier/destroyer used by the CIS, or the Separatist, navy. Retired after issuing order 66, killing most of the Jedi, and Darth Sideous instituting a new Galactic Empire to replace the senate. As the separatist have then lost the war the droid armies were shut down and the the CIS navy was scraped for the empires new fleet of Star Destroyers.

Also those displays of bombs and ships, the ships are CIS droid star fighters, or known as "vulture droids".

Pfft. You just watched the prequels. How about translating the Basic, Mr Smarty Bothan?

Havok

FyreWulff said:
That was plain from the moment they announced it was Vista-exclusive for no reason other than as a hackneyed move to drive sales and push GFW.
Slightly Live said:
You know, I wish I had the chance to play Halo 2 online in it's prime.

356+ more sleeps
That's really unfortunate that you didn't. A lot of the problems it had have gotten kind of overblown in the following years. There were some dumb design decisions, but it was an incredibly fun game and it really found a way to make everything just work. It really still is, if you can get a decent game going. I played a bunch the other day over XBC, it was still great.

Ramirez

I don't think Halo 2's problems were overblown at all, there was a stretch of a few months where every other game you got the standby trick done to you, or someone was just straight modding. I still have nightmares of an Elite sitting in a warthog on Terminal, spawning us above him as he killed us with the turret before we even touched the ground, lol.

ElRenoRaven

FyreWulff said:

It really was. There is no doubt about that. I remember reading about it and how they put this team together to port it. It seemed to be going well then bam silence. That's when you knew something was up. Sure enough map editor that was locked down to all hell which made making great maps for it a pain in the ass. Forget modding the single player at all.

Include the lack of setting customization and the hefty requirements at the time to run it and it wasn't going to do well. All this ignores the glitches like BXR and other new ones being in it like some mouse users figuring out a way to enable the crazy auto aim that controller users get for them too. Course to top this all off the team behind it was disbanded the second it was finished too which really shows you how much faith Microsoft had in it.

Havok

Ramirez said:
I don't think Halo 2's problems were overblown at all, there was a stretch of a few months where every other game you got the standby trick done to you, or someone was just straight modding. I still have nightmares of an Elite sitting in a warthog on Terminal, spawning us above him as he killed us with the turret before we even touched the ground, lol.
Oh, I'm not even talking about the network exploits or things of that nature, just the design stuff. The network bullshit made Head to Head unbearable. I got lucky though, after they started implementing the heavier Banhammer stuff, I stopped having games like that very often.

Ramirez

Havok said:
Oh, I'm not even talking about the network exploits or things of that nature, just the design stuff. The network bullshit made Head to Head unbearable.

Well, I mean yea the game was really good, but the community made it unbearable for a good stretch of its time.

Havok

daedalius said:
Havok is so much better than me.

The new tv will fix it! (probably not)
Nah, you did fine. The BTB stuff was nice because we usually run with just us 3, so having an extra person to coordinate helped out a lot.

Ramirez said:
Well, I mean yea the game was really good, but the community made it unbearable for a good stretch of its time.
Sure, absolutely. A lot of it I kind of chalk up to it being uncharted waters in a bunch of ways. I remember playing SOCOM and people would use lagswitches and I stopped playing before it got fixed, if it ever did.

Tunavi

Banned
A27_StarWolf said:

http://youtu.be/IRsPheErBj8?t=2s

Striker

GhaleonEB said:
I think Halo 2 nailed map design, but the stuff he mentioned did make it a mess at times. I strongly prefer Halo 3's gameplay for a host of reasons.

Halo 2's level designers were on some wicked good stuff at the time.
Well map design, reliability of the primary weapon in the game (BR), and fantastic infantry-vehicle combat is just a small portion of what made it all so great.

The minor things they had that paid off so importantly, and eventually later after not having them or the modes changing, we realize how spoiled we were and how good those things were. The gametypes (i.e. CTF, sticky-arming Assault, 3 Plots), and the little tricks like bomb/flag contesting were so far above what Halo 3 and Reach had lacking. Those played a tremendous part in Team Skirmish and BTB, the premier playlists in Halo 2 for me. Everything just went together so damn well. Very easy to see why I loved it so much.

Of course the things that came after it were disappointing because they didn't capture that same magic, so it became an eventual downfall.

Listen up nerds. In a MP game, one is not easier than the other. The reason for this is because both players must adhere to the same rules within that virtual world. You aren't playing the game, in fact there is no game. Its you vs the opponent.

Now with that said within these games. You can argue there is different skill gaps between a noob and a pro, and I would argue Halo has a much larger skill gap. I would also argue that it takes less time to traverse that skill gap than the smaller skill gap that exists in CoD games. Meaning yes CoD noobs can jump in get a bunch of kills and have fun, but to play at the pro level that MLG players do takes tons of time just as much time as a Halo pro does. This excludes those naturally born gifted fucks that are just good at a certain or multiple games.

In addition different games will require different sets of skills that may cater to one players characteristics more so than another, this would be a competitive advantage. This would be why certain games seem easier than others to one individual but overall it would be the same, because using that logic one player would be at a disadvantage because their characteristics would make them less inclined to be successful because you are playing the other opponent not the game, and using this logic would also mean it would be a zero-sum game.

The end.

Also I will be skipping MW3 as there's just too many games and I just don't have the time to play the games I already have let alone something new. See you all on Halo this weekend scrubs.

Trasher

xxjuicesxx said:
Listen up nerds. In a MP game, one is not easier than the other. The reason for this is because both players must adhere to the same rules within that virtual world. You aren't playing the game, in fact there is no game. Its you vs the opponent.

Now with that said within these games. You can argue there is different skill gaps between a noob and a pro, and I would argue Halo has a much larger skill gap. I would also argue that it takes less time to traverse that skill gap than the smaller skill gap that exists in CoD games. Meaning yes CoD noobs can jump in get a bunch of kills and have fun, but to play at the pro level that MLG players do takes tons of time just as much time as a Halo pro does. This excludes those naturally born gifted fucks that are just good at a certain or multiple games.

In addition different games will require different sets of skills that may cater to one players characteristics more so than another, this would be a competitive advantage. This would be why certain games seem easier than others to one individual but overall it would be the same, because using that logic one player would be at a disadvantage because their characteristics would make them less inclined to be successful because you are playing the other opponent not the game, and using this logic would also mean it would be a zero-sum game.

The end.

Also I will be skipping MW3 as there's just too many games and I just don't have the time to play the games I already have let alone something new. See you all on Halo this weekend scrubs.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OT4B-NJUcZE

FyreWulff

PsychoRaven said:
It really was. There is no doubt about that. I remember reading about it and how they put this team together to port it. It seemed to be going well then bam silence. That's when you knew something was up. Sure enough map editor that was locked down to all hell which made making great maps for it a pain in the ass. Forget modding the single player at all.

Include the lack of setting customization and the hefty requirements at the time to run it and it wasn't going to do well. All this ignores the glitches like BXR and other new ones being in it like some mouse users figuring out a way to enable the crazy auto aim that controller users get for them too. Course to top this all off the team behind it was disbanded the second it was finished too which really shows you how much faith Microsoft had in it.

Well, people should have gotten the hint when the developer was named Hired Gun :lol

Anyone on? I need to finish today's dailies.

kylej said:
I would be more than happy if every Halo game in the future dropped the campaign and went multiplayer only. The story is boring, and it takes up lots of resources that could be put into ballin' netcode, ballin' maps, and ballin' playlist management. Cortana, blue, big tits, rampant, big Halo rings in the sky, popcorn enemies, black dude with cigar, monkeys with hammers, big aliens with teeth, humans getting blained, little aliens that make lame quips as they die. That's all I know about Halo campaigns. Imagine a world with no campaign and 20 kick-ass original maps, plus perfect remakes of your favorites from H2 and H3. I'll pay double.
What, no. Why can't we have both? :(

Just to chime in on the COD debate from a few pages back, I completely agree with Kyle. I really feel like a lot of people (not just in this thread either) take the COD spite too far. Halo used to get be the one getting that spite, now that it's the underdog (compared to COD) everyone's quick to turn around and say how much they love the franchise or that COD MP is easy shit.

The only thing about the COD phenomenon that pushes my buttons is how much influence it has had on other games in the last 4 years, mostly in the single player department. Too many developers are trying emulate that style and it's just getting out of hand. I want more shooters with labyrinthine 90s design where you actually explored and figured stuff out but I'm sure that shit wouldn't fly in this age where being cinematic is all the rage. I can't blame other developers and games for trying be the next COD or trying to tap into that market, it's a business after all.

And Trasher, COD being too fast is not a problem at all when it comes to competitive viability. If anything, Halo gets lambasted by hardcore PC shooter players (mostly the assbutts) for it's slowness. The ranking and unlock progression of COD makes matchmaking competitiveness and balance kind of a joke but if it's in a controlled environment where every participating player has everything unlocked or a specific set of weapons and perks must be used, then I don't see why COD couldn't be competitive. Competitive gaming usually puts strict rules in place on that sort of thing anyways (look at how MLG doesn't use the entire sandbox in any Halo game).

xxjuicesxx said:

The end.

This also something I can agree with.

ElRenoRaven

FyreWulff said:
Well, people should have gotten the hint when the developer was named Hired Gun :lol

HAHAHA. So very true. I do have to say though. For how it turned out it is a damn good game to play on the PC when it comes to the Single Player. It's so nice to not have that texture pop in. It's weird cause I'm not a graphics whore but that so annoyed the hell out of me on the Xbox version. Same thing bugs me about the unreal engine.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Anyone else watching the world series of poker? Ive been watching for hours, shit is bananas

GhaleonEB

Striker said:
Well map design, reliability of the primary weapon in the game (BR), and fantastic infantry-vehicle combat is just a small portion of what made it all so great.

The minor things they had that paid off so importantly, and eventually later after not having them or the modes changing, we realize how spoiled we were and how good those things were. The gametypes (i.e. CTF, sticky-arming Assault, 3 Plots), and the little tricks like bomb/flag contesting were so far above what Halo 3 and Reach had lacking. Those played a tremendous part in Team Skirmish and BTB, the premier playlists in Halo 2 for me. Everything just went together so damn well. Very easy to see why I loved it so much.

Of course the things that came after it were disappointing because they didn't capture that same magic, so it became an eventual downfall.
I think we just have different primary interests in the game, and each game has excelled in different areas. With Halo 2, it was maps and the things you listed. With Halo 3, it's the overall combat sandbox, and particularly the infantry/vehicle balance. I loved BTB in that game so damn much for that reason. We played a game on Avalanche last month or so with some GAFers that really highlighted why. It was this great back and forth, come from behind thing where every piece clicked into place and we overcame a huge deficit and disparity in vehicle control through team work, communication and smart leveraging of certain tools. It was an absurdly fun game on a great map that was fun in ways BTB never was in Halo 2 for me, or Reach. To paraphrase Luke Timmins, I could play CTF on Valhalla every damn day, forever.

With Reach, it excels at net code, UI and the overall combat feedback loop (shields flaring, etc.). But it dropped hard on everything else.

I'm so hopeful that 343 will really concentrate at nailing that core experience again. Focus hard on marrying maps to game types, to properly sizing the overlap (so things like Invasion gutting BTB doesn't happen). For continuing to improve on Reach's net code while returning the combat back to the fundamentals that made Halo, Halo.

If they can do that, hot damn. But it's hard as hell to do.

Barrow Roll said:
What, no. Why can't we have both? :(

Don't worry, literally every other feature that is both conceivable and inconceivable is more likely than a major Halo title shipping without a campaign of some sort. Or any AAA game for that matter, no publisher would allow it.

GhaleonEB said:
I think we just have different primary interests in the game, and each game has excelled in different areas. With Halo 2, it was maps and the things you listed. With Halo 3, it's the overall combat sandbox, and particularly the infantry/vehicle balance. I loved BTB in that game so damn much for that reason. We played a game on Avalanche last month or so with some GAFers that really highlighted why. It was this great back and forth, come from behind thing where every piece clicked into place and we overcame a huge deficit and disparity in vehicle control through team work, communication and smart leveraging of certain tools. It was an absurdly fun game on a great map that was fun in ways BTB never was in Halo 2 for me, or Reach. To paraphrase Luke Timmins, I could play CTF on Valhalla every damn day, forever.

With Reach, it excels at net code, UI and the overall combat feedback loop (shields flaring, etc.). But it dropped hard on everything else.

I'm so hopeful that 343 will really concentrate at nailing that core experience again. Focus hard on marrying maps to game types, to properly sizing the overlap (so things like Invasion gutting BTB doesn't happen). For continuing to improve on Reach's net code while returning the combat back to the fundamentals that made Halo, Halo.

If they can do that, hot damn. But it's hard as hell to do.

First bold: Avalanche would be considered an weak map in H2 lol, although that still makes it probably the second best H3 BTB map.

Second bold: That so so so so much. Some of the maps in H3, and almost all of the map in Reach are just designed to try to sort of work for everything and the result is just shit maps.

Steelyuhas said:
Don't worry, literally every other feature that is both conceivable and inconceivable is more likely than a major Halo title shipping without a campaign of some sort. Or any AAA game for that matter, no publisher would allow it.
I'm not worried that it would ever happen, I just can't imagine why someone wouldn't want Halo to have a kick-ass campaign. I want dedicated servers, 60fps, tons of great maps and a full fledged stage editor as much as the next guy but I don't think you have to sacrifice campaign to do it. As hungry consumers, we should let it be known that we want both.

Barrow Roll said:
I'm not worried that it would ever happen, I just can't imagine why someone wouldn't want Halo to have a kick-ass campaign. I want dedicated servers, 60fps, tons of great maps and a full fledged stage editor as much as the next guy but I don't think you have to sacrifice campaign to do it. As hungry consumers, we should let it be known that we want both.

A lot of people put 8 hours (max) into the campaign once, never touch it again, and put literally hundreds of hours into multiplayer for years and the amount of resources and time spent on the campaign is probably more than the multiplayer so I can understand why people would want that.

FyreWulff

What is this H. B. G. Palace in Grifball and why is everyone suddenly voting for it?

The framerate is total crap and there's a stick figure with holo-nipples on the east wall.

Steelyuhas said:
A lot of people put 8 hours (max) into the campaign once, never touch it again, and put literally hundreds of hours into multiplayer for years and the amount of resources and time spent on the campaign is probably more than the multiplayer so I can understand why people would want that.
Not saying you're wrong but it's severely disappointing that the majority of players would ignore or barely appreciate a great campaign and everything that goes into it. The visual style, Marty's score, enemy AI and encounters, the rich universe that's been created, etc.

All dem young whippersnappers got no appreciation and just wanna shoot shit.

blamite

So the Xbox version of Waypoint is listing some new achievements for the Defiant Map Pack, of all things:

Don't Touch That! 25G - Defiant: Prevent the attacking team from touching the flag in a matchmaking 1-Flag CTF game

Paper Beats Rock 15 G - Defiant: Assassinate a player that just exited Armor Lock in a matchmade game

All Alone 10 G - Defiant: Be the last surviving uninfected player in a matchmade infection game

Interesting that these are just showing up now.

Havok

blamite said:
So the Xbox version of Waypoint is listing some new achievements for the Defiant Map Pack, of all things:

Don't Touch That! 25G - Defiant: Prevent the attacking team from touching the flag in a matchmaking 1-Flag CTF game

Paper Beats Rock 15 G - Defiant: Assassinate a player that just exited Armor Lock in a matchmade game

All Alone 10 G - Defiant: Be the last surviving uninfected player in a matchmade infection game

Can't be real - only one of them is garbage. Doesn't fit the pattern!

blamite

I just loaded up Reach and the new achievements aren't showing up, and they're not on Xbox.com either. I guess these are going to be added on the Anniversary disc then? That's... an interesting choice.

Interesting on the added Defiant achievements. Also the Anniversary MP achievements are on there. Forgot how bad they are. 50 points for performing a beat down on a enemy while using a jetpack.
tumblr_lliu2zmKsY1qdf6w8o1_r1_400.gif

Mad Edit: Anniversary playlists details will be in the bulletin tomorrow.
And a new GIF for the playlist news:
tumblr_loqu33Ds4M1qg70cao1_250.gif

Another Edit: Thought I'd jot this down before I forget, has 343 acknowledges the TU bug surrounding the healthpacks and melee yet?

blamite said:

Still no new achievement for Firefight. A bit disappointed.

StalkerUKCG said:
GT retrospective got me feeling pangs of nostalgia for Halo REACH!. The game i have now, i dont even how that works. Reminds me of all the fun times iv had in h2 h3 and reach. Quit your bitching stalkers its never all bad.
Reach is actually my favorite halo game, it brought great additions like Firefight and Invasion, I understand the hate to bloom and armor lock but they're already addressing it.

They may be actually listening us :/

P.S: listen us, KILL EVADE.

FyreWulff

Hypertrooper said:
Still no new achievement for Firefight. A bit disappointed.

It is pretty weird that they'd go through the trouble of adding achievements and not throw in another one for Firefight, especially with Installation 04.

We still have 50 gamerscore unclaimed, as that puts Reach up to 1700.

wwm0nkey

So I have been playing the MGS HD collection and I hope Halo someday gets a collection like this, amazing deal for $50. I get 3 games, 2000 achievements, Metal Gear with online and a lot of hours of gameplay.

wwm0nkey

FyreWulff said:
Happy Birthday Halo 2!

Everyone turn on your Halo 2 nameplates for Reach.
Halo 2 Vista party tonight right?

Also I hope 343i does something for Halo 2's birthday today, nothing big but just something in the bulletin.

FyreWulff said:
It is pretty weird that they'd go through the trouble of adding achievements and not throw in another one for Firefight, especially with Installation 04.

We still have 50 gamerscore unclaimed, as that puts Reach up to 1700.
I think the problem is, that you can easily boot Firefight achievement. :( Maybe the last 50GS will be Vidmaster Firefight ones.

AH: Installation 04 flythrough

FyreWulff

wwm0nkey said:
Halo 2 Vista party tonight right?

Also I hope 343i does something for Halo 2's birthday today, nothing big but just something in the bulletin.

Yup, I'm going to be dropping deets today on HBO. Let's just say it's not just Halo 2 celebrating it's 7th year of existence today. Prizes!

FyreWulff said:
Yup, I'm going to be dropping deets today on HBO. Let's just say it's not just Halo 2 celebrating it's 7th year of existence today. Prizes!
Any idea of a time schedule? Just so I can see if I should try joining in or not?

Eye Drop said:
What's the likelihood of a discount on the already released map packs during launch week of CEA?
I thought it would be a definite, but then they just had a sale on them 2 weeks ago.
I'd like to think they'd be smart enough to do it again, and then again at Christmas.

FyreWulff

Zeouterlimits said:
Any idea of a time schedule? Just so I can see if I should try joining in or not?

Latter half of the day US central time currently. I'm trying to figure out the specific hour stretch here

Top Bottom