• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT7| What are They to Say Now?

Havok

Dailies and Weekly finished up. Boy, 90% of what happens in Tip of the Spear is completely asinine, and it took this LASO to remind me. Drive through the EMP field (Jorge is Scumbag Steve), rail sequences, Mongeese driving in formation ahead of a tank battalion, Kat being Kat, is it a teleporter or a cloaking device or a macguffin? Pick one. Good stuff.

Also, Waterfront is still bad.

daedalius

Havok said:
Dailies and Weekly finished up. Boy, 90% of what happens in Tip of the Spear is completely asinine, and it took this LASO to remind me. Drive through the EMP field (Jorge is Scumbag Steve), rail sequences, Mongeese driving in formation ahead of a tank battalion, Kat being Kat, is it a teleporter or a cloaking device or a macguffin? Pick one. Good stuff.

Oh boy, I can't wait to do them now... you make it all sound so fun. Is LASO without dying?

Mongeese in front of Scorpions is the work of military genius; Sun Tzu, take notes.

Havok said:

If you can stomach it, take a gander in theater at the final Tyrant gun area before your character actually gets there. The Covenant are fighting somebody, but no one is there. lol

Havok

daedalius said:
Oh boy, I can't wait to do them now... you make it all sound so fun. Is LASO without dying?

Mongeese in front of Scorpions is the work of military genius; Sun Tzu, take notes.
The LASOs aren't really that hard. Technically yeah, you have to do them without dying, but this just means that you save and quit every time you die and reload the checkpoint you aren't supposed to have. The Mythic guide over at HBO makes these pretty easy. Tip of the Spear just has a couple of really dumb sequences and some key moments in the level have no actual logic behind why they're happening.
squidhands said:
If you can stomach it, take a gander in theater at the final Tyrant gun area before your character actually gets there. The Covenant are fighting somebody, but no one is there. lol
Whoa, bizarre. Peeking behind the curtains is always fun.

Karl2177

The Real Napsta said:
Resist. Maps are terribad.
I can agree with this. There's maybe 4 that I like. A few are really good for Spec Ops(which I would argue is the greatest thing that Modern Warfare brought to the table).

Also, has anyone gotten the screensaver to work?
EDIT: Mac version? I've gone through about 5 or 6 pages.

FyreWulff

Letters said:
I don't care how good anyone thinks a forge map is, if you're gonna put them in matchmaking put them in their own separate playlist. Just because you want community content and its forgers to be rewarded doesn't mean the rest of the community has to suffer. Please have a decent set of original maps (not from campaign either) in matchmaking, make everyone play Halo 2 constantly for inspiration. Pretend Reach doesn't exist. Thank you.

What would make sense to me is an improvement to the map selection program. Regardless of how a Halo 4 Forge would work, it'd make sense to me to add the ability for the map selector to omit maps past the splitscreen ability of the most-split box in the group. IE if a 4 split box is in the game, omit some dense variants, but if everyone in the game is a single person box, select from all possible and framerate-pushing variants in the list that you can.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Ok, I'm uploading the .avi file right now. It's a biggie, > 100mb. That program provided above seems to only play nice with avi. However, my Windows Movie Maker is acting up so I couldn't convert it .wmv. That may have worked though, I don't know.

Anywho, download this file:

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=4MR38BTQ

Use the link above to download the program that uses the video as a screen saver. Took a while, but we finally figured it out lol

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Man, putting up a LASO challenge when the Reach Service Record server is crapping out...brutal.

Remember folks, if your armor suddenly turns black mid-match, nothing is being recorded.

Steelyuhas said:
A friend brought it over last night. It's so bland compared to BF3, I was bored within 5 minutes.
My brother, who was a long time CoD fan, bought the game on release and now, he wants to bring it back to the store as soon as possible. He said the maps were pretty bad and combined with the killstreaks made it way to chaotic. And from what I played, I have to agree with him. BF3 just feels so much better.

Tha Robbertster said:
My brother, who was a long time CoD fan, bought the game on release and now, he wants to bring it back to the store as soon as possible. He said the maps were pretty bad and combined with the killstreaks made it way to chaotic. And from what I played, I have to agree with him. BF3 just feels so much better.
I've yet to play either game but aren't the similarities purely superficial? Two completely different styles of play that can coexist. What's the point of this retarded dick measuring contest between BF and COD?

That's rhetorical by the way, there is no point. It's dumb.

Tashi what settings do you encode your videos with? if i can get a decent sized AVI file with good quality ill capture and convert halo 2, halo 3, ODST and Reach loading screens and convert them to screensavers for HaloGAF.

Barrow Roll said:
I've yet to play either game but aren't the similarities purely superficial? Two completely different styles of play that can coexist. What's the point of this retarded dick measuring contest between BF and COD?

That's rhetorical by the way, there is no point. It's dumb.
Even though your question is rethorical, I'll response: The reason I think why BF3 and MW3 are constantly compared is because in BF3's marketing; it was constantly compared with MW3. BF3 was going to be the big competitor in modern war FPS's. The fans of both games just took it over.

Tha Robbertster said:
Even though your question is rethorical, I'll response: The reason I think why BF3 and MW3 are constantly compared is because in BF3's marketing; it was constantly compared with MW3. BF3 was going to be the big competitor in modern war FPS's. The fans of both games just took it over.
It goes farther than that though. It started with Bad Company riffing on CoD constantly

Tha Robbertster said:

After playing both games (and series) a great deal im going to give my opinions.

Call of Duty beats out Battlefield in regards to "gun play". While battlefields player weight is nice i cant help but feel when im playing BF3 that if i was playing with Call of Duty physics and movement id be having a more enjoyable experience.

Call of Duty is Team Deathmatch done right, in comparision to TDM in BF3 its a better experience. However that said pretty much every other mode Battlefield beats out CoD, Specifically objective modes.

What i think draws people to battlefield is vehicles, larger maps (in which all classes have a role) and squads.

Ideally if Activision felt under pressure from Battlefield id like to to start a spin off franchise. Call of Duty Warzone or something in which they directly take on Battlefield with Larger maps, squads and vehicles using the call of duty engine. Thats a game id play for a long time. But honestly i dont think Activision even regard battlefield as compertition with the sales each cod games makes.

Single player experience Modern warfare all the way, Blops and W@W not so much but MW3 was much more grabbing than BF3 which i quit after the 2nd mission due to boredom.

thezerofire said:
It goes farther than that though. It started with Bad Company riffing on CoD constantly
I didn't really pay attention to BF:BC2's release but I can remember there was a remark about MW2's snowmobile sequence or something like that.

Tha Robbertster said:
I didn't really pay attention to BF:BC2's release but I can remember there was a remark about MW2's snowmobile sequence or something like that.
Almost every mission in Bad Company 1 made fun of Call of Duty in some way, as I recall. Started calling Heart Beat Sensors "baby monitors"

thezerofire said:
I think MW3 is pretty fun. It scratches my dumb shooter itch
I'm a level 21 and I think I'm about done with it. Lackluster map selection and the netcode is comparable to Halo 3's, a five-year-old game.
ShortBizzle said:
http://download.cnet.com/Video-Screensaver/3000-2409_4-10820531.html

This worked good for me.

Edit: Works with other videos I have. No luck with the halo 3 download. der
Tashi0106 said:
Ok, I'm uploading the .avi file right now. It's a biggie, > 100mb. That program provided above seems to only play nice with avi. However, my Windows Movie Maker is acting up so I couldn't convert it .wmv. That may have worked though, I don't know.

Anywho, download this file:

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=4MR38BTQ

Use the link above to download the program that uses the video as a screen saver. Took a while, but we finally figured it out lol
I'll try this out later. Thanks guys.

Barrow Roll said:
Exactly. I was going to put this in my previous post but people go OT all the time in this thread and I thought I shouldn't tell people to take it elsewhere because of my negative bias towards the silly debate.
I don't really mind. But if it gets more detailed(i.e. StalkerUKCG's post) without mentioning Halo, I think that it doesn't suit this thread. But yeah you're right, we are getting too much into OT.

Now I'm going to bed and cry myself into sleep. sigh.

Hypertrooper said:
I don't really mind. But if it gets more detailed(i.e. StalkerUKCG's post) without mentioning Halo, I think that it doesn't suit this thread. But yeah you're right, we are getting too much into OT.

Now I'm going to bed and cry myself into sleep. sigh.

I figured if it was being discussed at the time id give my opinion, i didnt want to make a whole thing about it but since a few posts above mine discussed it i figured 1 post wouldnt hurt.

Retro

OuterWorldVoice said:
Mens are looking at things. Top mens. And womens.

As someone who has easily spent twice as much time in Forge than any other game mode in Reach, anything you can do to help deliver better Forge tools (especially spawning controls) will earn you my eternal gratitude and unyielding passion if you are willing to accept it.

You should know I am a tender lover, nurturing and attentive, and always offer a Halo Reach around. Just don't laugh at my Needler.

Tashi

Yo Heck I got Deus Ex. Thank you very much, you're the fuckin man. <3 Also, you have cool handwriting

That reminds me, I need to ship out Plywoods stuff. I'm planning on adding some more stuff to the package though Plywood so I'll let you know when it ships ;)

Dax01 said:
I'm a level 21 and I think I'm about done with it. Lackluster map selection and the netcode is comparable to Halo 3's, a five-year-old game.
I've had some pretty good experience with the netcode so far. no hiccups or anything like that

Havok said:
Drive through the EMP field (Jorge is Scumbag Steve)

lol'd

FyreWulff said:
What would make sense to me is an improvement to the map selection program. Regardless of how a Halo 4 Forge would work, it'd make sense to me to add the ability for the map selector to omit maps past the splitscreen ability of the most-split box in the group. IE if a 4 split box is in the game, omit some dense variants, but if everyone in the game is a single person box, select from all possible and framerate-pushing variants in the list that you can.

Decent idea

Homeboyd said:
The only thing that feels good to me.. that feels right...

Is Halo. All over my face.

Agreed. The only place i'll go for dong.

kylej

Banned
Retro said:
As someone who has easily spent twice as much time in Forge than any other game mode in Reach, anything you can do to help deliver better Forge tools (especially spawning controls) will earn you my eternal gratitude and unyielding passion if you are willing to accept it.

You should know I am a tender lover, nurturing and attentive, and always offer a Halo Reach around. Just don't laugh at my Needler.

"Anything you can do"? We're talking about Forge in Halo 4, right? How bout throw the entire fucking thing in the trash and make a real map editor, not the video-game version of trying to place Legos on a piece of graph paper by moving the blocks with your dick instead of your hands.

Far Cry 2 map editor came out in 2008. Should be at least as good as that, and 60fps. We're not under the Bungie regime anymore, it's ok to have moderately high expectations now.

kylej said:
"Anything you can do"? We're talking about Forge in Halo 4, right? How bout throw the entire fucking thing in the trash and make a real map editor, not the video-game version of trying to place Legos on a piece of graph paper by moving the blocks with your dick instead of your hands.

Far Cry 2 map editor came out in 2008. Should be at least as good as that, and 60fps. We're not under the Bungie regime anymore, it's ok to have moderately high expectations now.

A Far cry esq terrain editor with the current forge system ontop would be great, Have forge objects for buildings, weapons and vehicles only (obviously increase the pallet and possibily have swapable textures on items)

wwm0nkey

StalkerUKCG said:
A Far cry esq terrain editor with the current forge system ontop would be great, Have forge objects for buildings, weapons and vehicles only (obviously increase the pallet and possibily have swapable textures on items)
This is what I expect Halo 4 forge to be like. A terrain editor is a must though.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Tashi0106 said:
Yo Heck I got Deus Ex. Thank you very much, you're the fuckin man. <3 Also, you have cool handwriting

That reminds me, I need to ship out Plywoods stuff. I'm planning on adding some more stuff to the package though Plywood so I'll let you know when it ships ;)
You're too kind, good sir.

wwm0nkey said:
This is what I expect Halo 4 forge to be like. A terrain editor is a must though.

Watching videos of the far cry editior is fantastic its worth buying the game just to play with it. Its seriously amazing stuff if H4 forge was like that i dont think id ever get bored with it. Current Forge takes along time to build anything that looks worthwhile and due to the fact terrain has to be created with objects ends up causing a lot of rendering lag on some of the more asthetic maps.

heckfu

Banned
Tashi0106 said:

Hooray! I'm glad you got it, hope you enjoy it more than I did.

Tashi

Dax01 said:
Hey! Thanks! There's just one small thing. Tashi, that's not the screen I had in mind. It's Halo 3's title screen.

I described the loading screen, you got giddy and now you want something else? Which scene is it?

Top Bottom