• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT7| What are They to Say Now?

senador

Banned
No soda, coffee FTW.

Also BF3 is awesome. I'm a badass reviver. I'm glad I grabbed it. I need to play it with some of you guys, too bad you can't back out between rounds. :/

Homeboyd said:
lol no I don't own MW3 and am in no need of codes..

I just thought it was a brilliant marketing scheme and wished I could get in on Dew sales because of this marketing strategy. Sorry, I wasn't clear.

it's actually the second "holy crap" level of brilliance promotion pepsi's done in recent history.

remember their itunes promo? pretty much every pepsi got you a code for $1 on itunes.

i drank SO MUCH pepsi/dew that year of college.

ps, fyrewulff i'd love codes too. MW3's got its claws in me deep, it's too bad the maps all suck. going to the anniversary maps is going to be an amazing breath of fresh air.

it really has hammered home how poorly implemented the xp system in reach was, though. even if you could never do the unlocks that MW does (and you can't, not in halo) the commendation system took the wrong lessons from progression in call of duty. it's not about the endless treadmill, it's about the constant rewards thrown at you on the journey.

senador

Banned
oddworld18 said:
it really has hammered home how poorly implemented the xp system in reach was, though. even if you could never do the unlocks that MW does (and you can't, not in halo) the commendation system took the wrong lessons from progression in call of duty. it's not about the endless treadmill, it's about the constant rewards thrown at you on the journey.
What could you unlock in Halo? More armor? Weapon skins?

The AI in Halo is so good. I'm playing through the Reach campaign in anticipation of Anniversary's release.

I was playing through Oni Sword Base and decided to take the Wraith through the level this time rather than the Warthog. After taking care of the two main objectives of the level, I headed back toward the gate, and an Elite was occupying the Warthog turret that I had left there.

Not fictionally accurate, but cool nonetheless.

senador said:
What could you unlock in Halo? More armor? Weapon skins?

more armor up to a point, but they unlocked in large chunks instead of piecemeal, and then there were long gaps between unlock levels. it was friendlier in terms of "letting people get what they want" but not as much in providing incentive to keep playing.

to some extent it's an all or nothing solution and reach tried to hit a halfway point that doesn't exist.

i could see a vastly revamped challenge system in Halo 4 that emphasizes variety and smaller goals - stuff like "get 30 kills with each weapon" which then increments higher as you pass each level of challenge, like commendations do now. however, commendations don't MEAN anything. having a customizable "player card" that is tied into a reward system would go a long way if it's well designed; further iterations of waypoint could even tie that in so that ingame halo 4 actions can help you build a forum signature or something.

you can keep it cosmetic only, but you have to have a lot of variety to enable that. There wasn't actually a whole lot of variation available with all the armor unlocks, even though it seems like there would be.

FyreWulff

At least there was enough armor to avoid the Recon situation all over again. I don't think anyone's ever had their account stolen just for their Haunted helmet.

feel

senador said:
Also BF3 is awesome. I'm a badass reviver. I'm glad I grabbed it. :/
It feels incredible to risk your life crossing a street under a hail of fire just to slide into an incapacitated fellow soldier on the other side and bring him back to life.

darthbob

Have we found out anything regarding the different armor in a screenshot on Condemned?

That's still bugging me, because we haven't heard anything, save for that screenshot, and some musings from BS Angel.

darthbob said:
Have we found out anything regarding the different armor in a screenshot on Condemned?

That's still bugging me, because we haven't heard anything, save for that screenshot, and some musings from BS Angel.
SkN2c.gif

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
darthbob said:

I sure hope some clue about that is hidden somewhere.

Sai-kun

Banned
Letters said:
It feels incredible to risk your life crossing a street under a hail of fire just to slide into an incapacitated fellow soldier on the other side and bring him back to life.

And then he gets shot down immediately ;P

FyreWulff

darthbob said:

What's Condemned? Is that a new infection map?

darthbob said:
It's the Covenant Forge World map.

With a consistent frame rate of 8 frames per second.

So, once I found out that the maps were coming the same day and they were 1200 points, which I already had in my MS points bank, I canceled my CEA pre-order to just get the maps for free and pick up CEA later (pretty busy this time of year, and playing BF3 and about to get started on Skyrim as well), but I just started watching the Gamespot playthrough with Frankie and immediately went and re-ordered the game lol. It's just too awesome.

Also, Frankie plays inverted, which confirms that he is not at all human.

GET SOMEONE WHO CAN PLAY! :p

Karl2177 said:
Silly Fyrewulff, doesn't even remember the Defiant Map Pack.

Well, I'm sure he's never seen it in matchmaking. AMIRIGHT?!

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Steelyuhas said:
With a consistent frame rate of 8 frames per second.

So, once I found out that the maps were coming the same day and they were 1200 points, which I already had in my MS points bank, I canceled my CEA pre-order to just get the maps for free and pick up CEA later (pretty busy this time of year, and playing BF3 and about to get started on Skyrim as well), but I just started watching the Gamespot playthrough with Frankie and immediately went and re-ordered the game lol. It's just too awesome.

Also, Frankie plays inverted, which confirms that he is not at all human.

GET SOMEONE WHO CAN PLAY! :p

Well, I'm sure he's never seen it in matchmaking. AMIRIGHT?!

Dude, it is REALLY hard to play, hold an interview and give color commentary at the same time. I just watched it and it's not THAT bad.

The moment I have to hold a conversation with someone while playing a game my ability to play competently goes to hell. Most of the time just having someone watch me screws me up. It's like a rubbing belly tapping head deal.

OuterWorldVoice said:
Dude, it is REALLY hard to play, hold an interview and give color commentary at the same time. I just watched it and it's not THAT bad.

HAHA

No, it's not bad at all, I just had to say it because you literally said after whiffing a melee on a grunt, "the forums are going to say get someone that can play". You played well, inverted makes my brain explode, but you played well regardless.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
OuterWorldVoice said:

I hold a much more intense conversation with my teammates when I play with them. Not impressed :p

Also, MLG Madcatz controllers are now available for pre order. 100$ They do come pretty jam packed with stuff though, not gonna lie. It's a good package.

http://www.majorleaguegaming.com/news/mlg-mad-catz-xbox-360-controller-now-available-for-pre-order/

I wish I took the opportunity to play with them at Orlando

Tashi0106 said:
I hold a much more intense conversation with my teammates when I play with them. Not impressed :p

Also, MLG Madcatz controllers are now available for pre order. 100$ They do come pretty jam packed with stuff though, not gonna lie. It's a good package.

http://www.majorleaguegaming.com/news/mlg-mad-catz-xbox-360-controller-now-available-for-pre-order/

I wish I took the opportunity to play with them at Orlando
Those look pretty slick. Not $100 slick, but pretty damn nice nonetheless. If they had implemented the hyper-response face buttons and the extra programmable bumpers from the Razer Onza then I'd have picked one up for sure.

Woorloog

Banned
wwm0nkey said:
Inverted = superior

http://i44.tinypic.com/23jogaw.jpg[/MG][/QUOTE]
Fuck. That's fucking mindscrew man. I can visualise and, umm, feel how using inverted would feel like. Almost like i have to try out inverted... argh!

ElRenoRaven

wwm0nkey said:
Inverted = superior

23jogaw.jpg

Exactly. It's more natural then the subpar mislabeled "Normal" settting. I've never understood how anyone can play non inverted. I've tried many times and just can't do it no matter how hard I try.

wwm0nkey said:
Inverted = superior

23jogaw.jpg
Yeah, but that only applies to the Y-axis. X is still NORMAL, so that example of a stick on the back of the head doesn't end up working!

You want to look up? Push the stick up! How's that for a concept!

Karl2177

Hypertrooper said:
Wow. That glassing clip was great.

PsychoRaven said:
Can't say I liked that one any more then the faith one. Everyone seems a little young in it. There is something about looking at a guy in his 20's calling someone else in their 20's kid that just seems off. Then the high ranking guy looked like his 20's too. Again that just seems off.
I have a friend graduating from the ROTC and he's 22. He'll be higher ranking than some of his other friends who enlisted before he graduated high school.

PsychoRaven said:
Can't say I liked that one any more then the faith one. Everyone seems a little young in it. There is something about looking at a guy in his 20's calling someone else in their 20's kid that just seems off. Then the high ranking guy looked like his 20's too. Again that just seems off.
Fanfilm sucks, because actors, who are fans, look to young.(I'm exaggerating) Is that your only complain? Props look better than Faith, effects are better too imo.(Or kind of. The plasma stuff look... ehm... I literally don't have the words)

ElRenoRaven

Hypertrooper said:
Fanfilm sucks, because actors, who are fans, look to young.(I'm exaggerating) Is that your only complain? Props look better than Faith, effects are better too imo.(Or kind of. The plasma stuff look... ehm... I literally don't have the words)

Way to blow what I said out of proportion. Show me where the hell I said it sucked. Go and and fucking show me where I said it sucked. Neither one sucked. Both were ok. But go ahead and put words in my mouth why don't you.

You know what. I am so goddamn sick and tired of people jumping on people because they have a different goddamn opinion from them.

Top Bottom