• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo Reach Review Thread

soldat7

bleahy said:
Don't leave out my review just because we don't give scores
http://www.shacknews.com/onearticle.x/65534

bleahy said:
Looking at everything provided by Bungie and the potential for user-generated content, Reach is the biggest shooter to ever hit a console. More importantly, the game is just downright fun from start to finish, especially if you're going to be playing online. It is a true work of love from the folks at Bungie and has been constructed to be playable for many years; a fine send off as Bungie transitions to its first new IP in a decade. It is a prequel and doesn't have Master Chief, but this truly is Halo 4. Get this game.

33k5540.gif

Prine

Banned
Stop crying and refrain from entering if your wound up about this thread.

Bungie have 4 classics to thier name since 2000. Truly one of the greats of the industry, sad to see them leave :_:

Square Triangle said:
We should have a new thread created for the first level, the second and so on. Maybe even the credits too.

There's been seperate threads for reviews for big games around here for years. No need to start crying about it now.

shinnn said:
- Campaign is more ODST 2 than Halo 4

"Campaign is more ODST 2 than Halo 4"? wtf.
If that's true then it's a huge plus for me, since ODST is the only great Halo game in my books. (I don't play multiplayer Halo, other than co-op, so it's all about campaign for me)

This game was always going to get 9s and 10s regardless of its actual quality, though, so I'll just have to wait til Tuesday to see...

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Prine said:

Bungie have 4 classics to thier 2000. Truly one of the greats of the industry, sad to see them lesve :_:

By lesve do you mean working for the Man? It's a little concerning but I salivate at the idea of Bungie creating a new franchise. I love Halo but all that talent deserves to be put to use on something fresh.

urk

butthole fishhooking yes
Prine said:

Bungie have 4 classics to thier name since 2000. Truly one of the greats of the industry, sad to see them leave :_:
We're not going anywhere. :)

Prine said:

Bungie have 4 classics to thier 2000. Truly one of the greats of the industry, sad to see them lesve :_:

Uhm, they're not leaving, they're just working on new IP and not being tied down by Microsoft, the 360 or Halo itself. Its like the best thing a Bungie fan could hope to happen to them.

Snuggler said:
By lesve do you mean working for the Man? It's a little concerning but I salivate at the idea of Bungie creating a new franchise. I love Halo but all that talent deserves to be put to use on something fresh.

Exactly. Can't wait to see what they cook up.

Snuggler said:
Aw, someones a little gwumpy tonight.
It's a new fucking Halo. One of the biggest franchises right now, what do you expect? I'd rather not dig through the massive OT for these reviews.

Considering most official threads post the reviews in the official thread post, I don't see how going to page 1 would be difficult.

I suppose I'm just the only one that would like the front page of gaming GAF with the most "variety"? =/

seady

I don't care about Halo and I am still excited.
However the GiantBomb's review who I trust the most (and many other 8-ish reviews) put me back a bit. As a non Halo fan it needs to be super amazing for me to hop in.

antonz

brain_stew said:
Uhm, they're not leaving, they're just working on new IP and not being tied down by Microsoft, the 360 or Halo itself. Its like the best thing a Bungie fan could hope to happen to them.

Truer words could not be spoken. Hopefully we will see something entirely new in a new genre

soldat7

Prine said:

Well, they might be leaving Halo, but I'm hoping they bring something even better to the world of video games...

Square Triangle said:
Considering most official threads post the reviews in the official thread post, I don't see how going to page 1 would be difficult.

I wish the search funtion worked so I could point out just how many review threads there's been around here.

I keep forgetting this is out next week! very excited.

Hearing that the campaign is more like ODST than Halo 4 (or I assume Halo 2/3) is great news. ODST had a better campaign than those two games; it was the multiplayer that elevated them. Reach finally sounds like the total package.

Havok

seady said:
I don't care about Halo and I am still excited.
However the GiantBomb's review (and many other 8-ish reviews) put me back a bit.
Giant Bomb's review is strange in that I don't really feel like the score matched up with the (fairly glowing) text and Quick Look talk. I'd look into those if you'd like to get a better overall picture on their opinions.

Prine said:

They're not leaving the industry :) Undoubtedly moving on to something interesting.

soldat7

Linkzg said:
Hearing that the campaign is more like ODST than Halo 4 (or I assume Halo 2/3) is great news. ODST had a better campaign than those two games

I've never understood the ODST hate. It was an amazingly tight and well-crafted experience. The atmosphere, music, and missions were all great. I definitely enjoyed it more than the Halo 3 campaign.

Havok said:
Giant Bomb's review is strange in that I don't really feel like the score matched up with the (fairly glowing) text and Quick Look talk. I'd look into those if you'd like to get a better overall picture on their opinions.

Giant Bomb skews more towards the COD end of the spectrum. I'm not saying that as a bad thing, I just think that there is a definite line between the two franchises and it's very easy to prefer one over the other. Plus, 5-point review scales are essentially meaningless, IMO. They'd be better off not assigning scores.

Havok said:
How does 4/5 not match up with the praise they gave? That's a great score.

Too much 7-10 scale mentality. :p

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Square Triangle said:

I suppose I'm just the only one that would like the front page of gaming GAF with the most "variety"? =/

Theres like two threads about Reach on the 1st page. I fail to see the problem.

You sound a little bitter.

Havok

Foliorum Viridum said:
How does 4/5 not match up with the praise they gave? That's a great score.

Too much 7-10 scale mentality. :p
Yeah, I know, I guess it's the metacritic mindset that I'm falling into. I can see how it would be that for people who aren't big Halo fans, but as someone who is, it's a little strange.

Synless

Gold Member
soldat7 said:
I've never understood the ODST hate. It was an amazingly tight and well-crafted experience. The atmosphere, music, and missions were all great. I definitely enjoyed it more than the Halo 3 campaign.

Giant Bomb skews more towards the COD end of the spectrum. I'm not saying that as a bad thing, I just think that there is a definite line between the two franchises and it's very easy to prefer one over the other. Plus, 5-point review scales are essentially meaningless, IMO. They'd be better off not assigning scores.
I had the opposite reaction. I felt Halo 3 was better in everyway.

soldat7

Synless said:

I could see that. For me though, Halo 1 was the absolute pinnacle and it's been downhill ever since (not that steep of a hill, but still downhill.) ODST seemed to be more of a return to their roots.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Synless said:

I liked a lot about ODST. The city was cool, mostly because of the atmosphere and music. The missions were good, but in a lot of ways they felt like Halo 3: the deleted scenes. Aside from a few stand out moments, it felt like a small step down from the missions in 3. But even that was better than most FPS console games. It was a solid title but I prefer the Halo 3 campaign.
Firefight mode was awesome, though, having a better version of that + a brand new, real deal campaign will be sweet.

brain_stew said:

I'm just going to tell you now... it's not going to happen. Trust me on that, it's just not.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Bungieware said:
I'm just going to tell you now... it's not going to happen. Trust me on that, it's just not.

What, that they're not working on a new IP? I think it's pretty obvious that the Halo brand is Microsoft stuff and it'll be passed on to another dev.
Do you mean they'll be working on something not-new? Is Activision gonna make them do Call of Duty: In Space?

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
I'm stupid and didn't see review thread. Cross posting:

Well, critical success has been solidified with all the reviews, now I'm just watching to see if its a sales success. Millions sold there will be, but I'm curious if it'll break records. I mean, MW2 did numbers. I just hope all the same Halo fans are still there for the last hurrah.

And damn, Bungie it's been a hell of a ride. I hope your next series is as polished, and refined to the teeth like all the Halo games have been. Day 1 since Nov. 15, '01.

Chris R

Going to be picking this up at some point probably early next year! Looks like it will be fun. Shame about Live prices going up because the coop/multiplayer stuff looks pretty fun (almost like Halo 1 local MP was).

soldat7

Bungieware said:

They just signed a 10-year publishing deal with Activision for a new IP that they (Bungie) get to keep. The new IP being multiplatform has been confirmed as well.

bhlaab

Finally a refined Halo game without the long stretches of boring tedium that we forgot to mention in our previous 10/10 reviews but suddenly remembered for this one. A game that, according to us, truly justifies the months and months of hype and zeitgeist that we generated. For years to come this multi-billion dollar title will be the new standard by which we judge all lesser games with smaller budgets that don't have the financial and social clout to have their each and every flaw curiously overlooked.

soldat7

bhlaab said:
Finally a refined Halo game without the long stretches of boring tedium that we forgot to mention in our previous 10/10 reviews but suddenly remembered for this one. A game that, according to us, truly justifies the months and months of hype and zeitgeist that we generated. For years to come this multi-billion dollar title will be the new standard by which we judge all lesser games with smaller budgets that don't have the financial and social clout to have their each and every flaw curiously overlooked.

11vh7d2.jpg

Good album.

feel

bhlaab said:
Tell us how you really feel.

watership

Advance_Alarm said:
I'll take these with a grain of salt. I remember all the reviews saying that ODST was good and making up reasons why that crap was worth 60$. I played it down the hall the day after it came out and knew instantly I wasn't going to buy it. But I have the Reach console and Legendary edition already paid for, so I'm trusting that Bungie on this one.

You're sorta full of shit. Since almost 90 percent of reviewers docked ODST for the price of the game. Look up metacritic's ODST score summary page and search for the work "PRICE" and count the hits.

soldat7 said:
They just signed a 10-year publishing deal with Activision for a new IP that they (Bungie) get to keep. The new IP being multiplatform has been confirmed as well.
trust him on this one!
:lol

Snuggler said:
What, that they're not working on a new IP? I think it's pretty obvious that the Halo brand is Microsoft stuff and it'll be passed on to another dev.
Do you mean they'll be working on something not-new? Is Activision gonna make them do Call of Duty: In Space?

That's not what I was talking about, and bolded doesn't warrant a response.

soldat7 said:

Guys guys guys......I was talking about their next game coming to PC. I thought that much was obvious given who I quoted.

Top Bottom