• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo Reach Review Thread

Bungieware said:
I was talking about their next game coming to PC.

Its already confirmed its multiplatform and damn near every Activision title gets a PC release even stuff like Spiderman and Shrek. I'd be very surprised if it doesn't come to the PC, very surprised, it makes no sense to pass it up, its basically free cash.

bhlaab

Letters said:
Tell us how you really feel.

That game reviewers are the biggest fellating hacks on the planet and it makes me sick to see them flock to royalty en masse because they owe their entire lifeblood to fanboys.

brain_stew said:
Its already confirmed its multiplatform and damn near every Activision title gets a PC release even stuff like Spiderman. I'd be very surprised if it doesn't come to the PC, very surprised, it makes no sense to pass it up, its basically free cash.

Mutliplatform to me, edit: in this situation I should add, means 360/PS3. Also, Bungie own the IP, so you'd think they would decide on the platforms. And I would expect this isn't anything like a publishing deal that Activision has signed before. So their 'control' over the game will be incredibly limited.

Bungieware said:
Mutliplatform to me means 360/PS3. Also, Bungie own the IP, so you'd think they would decide on the platforms. And I would expect this isn't anything like a publishing deal that Activision has signed before. So their 'control' over the game will be incredibly limited.
And what leads you to believe that bungie won't release on the pc? You seem to have this presumption and I'm not sure where it comes from.

Bungieware said:
Mutliplatform to me, edit: in this situation I should add, means 360/PS3. Also, Bungie own the IP, so you'd think they would decide on the platforms. And I would expect this isn't anything like a publishing deal that Activision has signed before. So their 'control' over the game will be incredibly limited.

Bungie's next game is confirmed for PC/360/PS3.

watership

bhlaab said:
That game reviewers are the biggest fellating hacks on the planet and it makes me sick to see them flock to royalty en masse because they owe their entire lifeblood to fanboys.

It's shocking. I didn't expect posts like this in a halo review thread. Really I didn't.

elrechazao said:
And what leads you to believe that bungie won't release on the pc? You seem to have this presumption and I'm not sure where it comes from.

Obviously Bungie like to just turn down practically free cash. I actually wouldn't be surprised if a PC version of their next title would sell more on PC than PS3 if its an FPS and creating a PS3 version would be a much bigger undertaking. I expect it to hit PS3, 360, Wii 2 and PC, they'd just be leaving money on the table otherwise.

Activision will want the title on as many platforms as possible and since the announcement of the agreement specifically mentioned "multiplatform" I'd say its a safe assumption that Activision have stipulated which platforms it must be delivered on in that contract, and yes, PC will be one of them.

Either way its academic, even without a PC release, having Bungie work on a new IP and with much greater freedom is a much more preferable to them becoming nothing more than a Halo studio forever more, which was the only point I was making. Of course I'd prefer to play this game on my PC, but its not as if I'll turn it down on PS3/360 either.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Bungieware said:
That's not what I was talking about, and bolded doesn't warrant a response.

Guys guys guys......I was talking about their next game coming to PC. I thought that much was obvious given who I quoted.

I guess I misunderstood you, but that was a little unclear in your post.
I don't see why their next game wouldn't be on PC if it's multiplat. I think that Halo 3 and ODST would be on PC if Microsoft didn't (recently) decide to restrict most of their big franchises to Xbox only. I don't see any reason for them to hold back now that they're not owned by the dudes who own the console they make games for.

zlatko

Banned
I think my favorite review I've read/watched so far is the 1UP one. The video review for that while not hitting on anything major(you can get that stat sheet kind of knowledge from other reivews), felt very genuine in his appreciation for the game. I'm similar minded in that I've bought all the other Halo games, played them for a while, but then moved on to bigger and better things for my gaming tastes. He however, says Reach is the first Halo that he really loves and can't wait to keep playing more of.

I hope I come away with the same, but I'm a pretty hard guy to impress/have weird tastes, and so what I end up playing for months at a time isn't what others do. (Gears of War 1, Metal Gear Online, just to name some)

I really want to try to use Forge to create Gears of War 1 and Metal Gear Online maps. I think Gridlock, Fuel Depot, and Escalation could really lend themselves well to a Halo approach. While maps like Copper Town Conflict, Mid Town Maelstrom, and Mansion from Metal Gear Online would be awesome.(Might have botched the MGO map names, been a while since I played)

Can't wait for Tuesday though. Legendary on Co-op here I come. :D

REV 09

bhlaab said:
I don't see how anyone can argue that Halo isn't a top-tier console shooter. Seeing it get reviews starting at 80% and above shouldn't be surprising. Most AAA games are nothing but flawed gems anyways.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
zlatko said:
I really want to try to use Forge to create Gears of War 1. I think Gridlock, Fuel Depot, and Escalation could really lend themselves well to a Halo approach.

I would get a kick out of this. They're some of the only MP maps that I actually know by heart. Canals is my fave but it probably wouldn't work in Halo.

Snuggler said:
I guess I misunderstood you, but that was a little unclear in your post.
I don't see why their next game wouldn't be on PC if it's multiplat. I think that Halo 3 and ODST would be on PC if Microsoft didn't (recently) decide to restrict most of their big franchises to Xbox only. I don't see any reason for them to hold back now that they're not owned by the dudes who own the console they make games for.

Halo PC was incredibly popular, heck its still played today. Halo 2 was sent to die by being tied to the launch of Vista and GFWL (when it was in a horrible state and required a $50 subscription) it never had a chance, no game could have succeeded with those weights around its neck.

Jex

bhlaab said:
This is a really dumb claim, particularly as it conflates all the reviewers in the world under one broad heading. That's as bad as when people say "GAF thinks..."

Eurogamer's one page review is hilarious, not for the content, but because they usually write a huge multi-paged essay on the game. I guess someone may have been in a rush.

Smokey

Those in this thread saying the game would've got these reviews even if it were bad are a bit slow in the head.

Mark V

scarjo_popcorn.gif

This is me right now reading all of the reviews. :)

Also, UGO review is up (A+), http://www.ugo.com/games/halo-reach-review

Kimosabae

Banned
bhlaab said:
Finally a refined Halo game without the long stretches of boring tedium that we forgot to mention in our previous 10/10 reviews but suddenly remembered for this one. A game that, according to us, truly justifies the months and months of hype and zeitgeist that we generated. For years to come this multi-billion dollar title will be the new standard by which we judge all lesser games with smaller budgets that don't have the financial and social clout to have their each and every flaw curiously overlooked.

I have to admit: this sarcastic rant has to be the most poignant articulation of the games review conflict I've ever seen.

feel

bhlaab said:
Cry some more. The games are good, anyone with a pinch of decent taste knows that, scores are deserved.

neroli

Neo Member
Smokey said:
Those in this thread saying the game would've got these reviews even if it were bad are a bit slow in the head.
I think the top reviewers want to do better in her job with this game coming actually.

Jex

DancingJesus said:
So the biggest complaint wagered against the game so far is that it is a Halo game.

Excellent.
That, and framerate issues, from the reviews I've checked out at least.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
DancingJesus said:
Ah, I wouldn't mind being compared to some of the most highly regarded FPS's of all time. But sure, whatever floats your boat.

I was just pulling your chain. I meant that their assertion that it was a Halo game was correct.

LCfiner

Broman1978 said:
Any reviews that highlight the music or something?
Always been a fan of Martys work :)

There are samples at sumthingdigital.com

https://www.sumthingdigital.com/AlbumDetails.aspx?albumid=4811

!!!!!!!!!POTENTIAL SMALL SPOILERS FROM SONG TITLES IN THAT LINK!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I listened to them and think those snippets are great. looks like a very promising score.

Anyway, concerning the reviews. I’m not really surprised. I just finished watching the Giantbomb QL and the key thing to note is that if you already like Halo, this is a great halo game. perhaps a familiar feeling campaign at times but with so much added to the multiplayer that it could last a looooong time.

But if you don’t like Halo, then this isn’t going to change you around.

that simple assessment means more to someone than a number attached to the end of a review.

Shaka

Letters said:
Cry some more. The games are good, anyone with a pinch of decent taste knows that, scores are deserved.
:lol He did bring up valid criticism but whatever, have your fun guys!:D

_Bro

Banned
bhlaab said:
If anything in the videogame industry makes you sick then I just don't care about you as a person.

Small rant...

After reading the reviews and witnessing some (over)reactions concerning them in the OT, I'm sick of biasness towards indifferent opinions or statements. I get it, we all do. Reach is the pinnacle of the series, a great refinement. But it's not perfect. There is nearly zero discussion on based anything that isn't the eqivalent of a "circle jerk". 90% of the thread is "I wish I had this game!!!", 9% "I paid a premium to get the game early", and 1% "can I have a helmet code?".

Then there are those who's life mission is to invalidate any negative claims stated by people who have actually played. Apparently Reach has very minor framerate issues. It's clear as day in some footage. Stop saying there isn't!

And no, this isn't a damn Civilization sequel. Reach isn't that deep. It's a FPS. There are an abundance of options and features but nothing no one can't cover in a few days. Get over it. A single pokemon game provides more/deeper narrative and intellect than all the Halos put together...

I like the gaf community surrounding halo, but sometimes it's simply unbearable...and its funny, how smug do you have to be to call yourselves "HaloGAF". Hm? Do I get a asshat helmet code if I pledge my allegiance? /rant.

Great impressions and reviews, I look forward to playing this masterpiece.

Jexhius said:
That, and framerate issues, from the reviews I've checked out at least.

As long as they're absent from the multiplayer mode, I'll deal. The framerate was absolutely rock solid in the beta so I'm not too worried.

_Bro

Banned
BrLvgThrChmstry said:
Small rant...

After reading the reviews and witnessing some (over)reactions concerning them in the OT, I'm sick of biasness towards indifferent opinions or statements. I get it, we all do. Reach is the pinnacle of the series, a great refinement. But it's not perfect. There is nearly zero discussion on based anything that isn't the eqivalent of a "circle jerk". 90% of the thread is "I wish I had this game!!!", 9% "I paid a premium to get the game early", and 1% "can I have a helmet code?".

Then there are those who's life mission is to invalidate any negative claims stated by people who have actually played. Apparently Reach has very minor framerate issues. It's clear as day in some footage. Stop saying there isn't!

And no, this isn't a damn Civilization sequel. Reach isn't that deep. It's a FPS. There are an abundance of options and features but nothing no one can't cover in a few days. Get over it. A single pokemon game provides more/deeper narrative and intellect than all the Halos put together...

I like the gaf community surrounding halo, but sometimes it's simply unbearable...and its funny, how smug do you have to be to call yourselves "HaloGAF". Hm? Do I get a asshat helmet code if I pledge my allegiance? /rant.

Really?

Jex

brain_stew said:
As long as they're absent from the multiplayer mode, I'll deal. The framerate was absolutely rock solid in the beta so I'm not too worried.
Kotaku mentions they've experiences it in mulitplayer, which isn't a good sign.
_Bro said:
Well Pokemon does have a ridiculous amount of mechanics, but "provides more intellect" is some terrible English. It barely makes sense.

It's a useless comparison. Civ 5 has more mechanics as well, I bet.

bhlaab

Smokey said:

You're telling me, with all seriousness, that reviewers don't give series like Halo much more comfort room for missteps than your average game from some no-name studio? That it's not held to a lesser degree of scrutiny because of its pedigree?

I don't get it. I just don't fucking get it. I am buying Reach, but honestly, for the love of God, someone explain it to me. I think it's because I'm old or something. I GET that Halo is this cultural phenomenon. I get that it's multiplayer is near perfect even though I suck at it. I feel like I'm some freak because the Halo series has never clicked with me. I'm not some gaming snob either who hates on Halo because it's popular. I just got done playing MW2. I'm practically an XBOX fanboy. I WANT to love Halo. I just don't fucking get it. Every time a new Halo game comes out the reviews make it sound like the second coming of Jesus. Maybe this time will be different.

Metalic Sand

who is Emo-Beas?
Pokemon in a halo thread? the fuck... :lol

Tried to play some Halo 3 today and i just couldnt do it. I need reach, All of these good reviews arent helping the situation.

BrLvgThrChmstry said:
Small rant...

WTF? This is the craziest troll I have ever read.

Jexhius said:
Kotaku mentions they've experiences it in mulitplayer, which isn't a good sign.

Well Pokemon does have a ridiculous amount of mechanics, but "provides more intellect" is some terrible English. It barely makes sense.

It's a useless comparison. Civ 5 has more mechanics as well, I bet.

I meant 'Requires'. Thanks for pointing that out...wtf, trolling? Not really I actually really want to play reach. But unlike most of 'halogaf' community I don't have my head up my ass.

If you honestly thought that I was comparing to Pokemon to halo (read: I was taking a shot at the lacking narrative of halo games), then you're missing the point...

Top Bottom