• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HaloGAF |OT: Anniversary| So fades the great harvest of our betrayal.

So I just bought one of those Xbox ones.
HDD makes a continuous clicking sound. The sound you'd expect during heavy use, but continuous. Not sure if it's a fault. Interestingly, the clicking completely stops when playing games, suggesting it's a software issue.

Blueblur1

Hello HaloGAF! This is my very first post on gaf, and I'm a real sentimental bastard, so I wanted my first to be with the community that was my favourite source of Halo info, speculation, and awesome lulz. I read Halo threads on and off since just after the Halo 3 beta, and really, you guys are just hilarious and fantastic. Super excited to be on here, and even though my Halo playing has dropped off significantly since 4, I still have a great time when I jump back in, and Halo is still a really big part of my creativity and imagination.

Favourite Halo: 3. Juuust edges out CE, but its incredibly cohesive design and great art clinches it.

Favourite map: Guardian. That Larry Niven-style art and that balanced assymmetry.. so good. All my forge maps are inspired by it.

BR over DMR usually.

Also, ramming Spartans with the Ghost is my meaning of life.

Welcome.

LRZwzN5.gif

this gif drives me nuts!

this chump didn't deliver a body blow because....?

Sofa King

HDD makes a continuous clicking sound. The sound you'd expect during heavy use, but continuous. Not sure if it's a fault. Interestingly, the clicking completely stops when playing games, suggesting it's a software issue.

XBO should be pretty quiet. Clicking noise would make me exchange it.

jem0208

That's weird. I certainly don't have that issue. Might want to phone MS and see what's up...

HTupolev

Nah, she's always been naked.
Her skin shading has an "unshadowed" and unrealistic look to it in Halo's 2 and 3, and there's not a pronounced belly button.

Halo's 1 and 4 are another matter. They've got the belly button, the shading has the appearance of lighting on a physical surface, etc.

Omni

Halo 2 is the best Cortana. I wonder if we'll get a new model in H2:A or if they'll throw in 4's version.

Wait, didn't Bungie make a Cortana model for Halo Reach that looked similar to 2's? Perhaps they'll use that

Woorloog

Banned
Halo 4's multiplayer is actually pretty great compared to Destiny's. And even Infinity is good compared to this "Iron Banner" shit.

Hell, SWTOR's and WoW's PVP modes (i never liked those) are better than Destiny's, i think.

I don't think Halo has to worry about Destiny when it comes to competitive MP, especially when you think about that Halo 5 MP trailer.

Ramirez

Those kill times would be interesting in Halo 5.

Kill times are strange in Destiny. There are times where I can mow 2-3 guys down within seconds, and others where I feel like I'm shooting a guy forever. I have no idea if continuous headshots (even on a shield) do more damage or not, I feel like they do.

Halo 4's multiplayer is actually pretty great compared to Destiny's

I don't agree at all, Halo 4 was a complete abomination of an established MP suite on release. Destiny is it's own thing, and I think it succeeds in what it wants to do, whether it's competitive or balanced is another thing entirely.

I still feel like the better player will win 9/10 times in a faceoff in Destiny, so there obviously has to be some skill gap there. The only things I simply cannot stand are the Titan/Warlock supers.

Woorloog

Banned
I don't agree at all, Halo 4 was a complete abomination of an established MP suite on release. Destiny is it's own thing, and I think it succeeds in what it wants to do, whether it's competitive or balanced is another thing entirely.

Just what the fuck does it try to do?
As ADS shooter BF3 and CODs are much, much better. Halo, UT, even Halo 4 (non-infinity settings) work better as arena-like shooters. Team Fortress and Battlefield are far better class-based shooters.
As a combination it is pretty bad, random, and inconsistent.

And it is neither competitive nor balanced.

I do have something positive to say: Its vehicles feel good and interesting, like Halo's Chopper and Warthog (other vehicles in Halos are kind of boring), even if they're way too overpowered.
And handling is a big part of that, i think. The Ghost in Halo is rather boring to drive, whereas the Chopper and Warthog are... interesting and different.
The Ghost in Halo 5 could act a bit more like the Halo CE version, kind of slippery. Would give it an interesting feeling.

FyreWulff

Halo 2 is the best Cortana. I wonder if we'll get a new model in H2:A or if they'll throw in 4's version.

Wait, didn't Bungie make a Cortana model for Halo Reach that looked similar to 2's? Perhaps they'll use that

Since the new cutscenes are CGI, it'll probably just be a new Blur model

No real reason to use game engine assets

Woorloog

Banned
Since the new cutscenes are CGI, it'll probably just be a new Blur model

No real reason to use game engine assets

Wonder how their Cortana will look. I'd imagine they will aim for her to look a lot like the in-game counterpart.
Considering how similar Halo 2 Anniversary has been to the original so far, i guess the Anniversary Cortana and CGI Cortana will be based on Halo 2 Cortana.

Wonder how their Cortana will look. I'd imagine they will aim for her to look a lot like the in-game counterpart.
Considering how similar Halo 2 Anniversary has been to the original so far, i guess the Anniversary Cortana and CGI Cortana will be based on Halo 2 Cortana.
No not really. H2A Cortana doesn't really look much alike since CEA Cortana was the almost exact same model from H3.

Ramirez

Just what the fuck does it try to do?
As ADS shooter BF3 and CODs are much, much better. Halo, UT, even Halo 4 (non-infinity settings) work better as arena-like shooters. Team Fortress and Battlefield are far better class-based shooters.
As a combination it is pretty bad, random, and inconsistent.

And it is neither competitive nor balanced.

I do have something positive to say: Its vehicles feel good and interesting, like Halo's Chopper and Warthog (other vehicles in Halos are kind of boring), even if they're way too overpowered.
And handling is a big part of that, i think. The Ghost in Halo is rather boring to drive, whereas the Chopper and Warthog are... interesting and different.
The Ghost in Halo 5 could act a bit more like the Halo CE version, kind of slippery. Would give it an interesting feeling.

The vehicles are the worst aspect of it, imo. You're completely fucked if your super isn't up or if you don't have heavy ammo.

The game wants you to be able to bring your loot over into MP, so I don't think there's really any way to balance that aside from removing level advantages.

The game is obviously PVE first, but I feel they've done an ok job with the PVP aspect. I loathed the mp in the alpha, but I was too busy comparing it to Halo, once I let that go, and just focused on Destiny, I enjoyed it. It's not going to capture people like Halo/CoD do, but I don't think they ever thought it would anyways. It's the same as any other mmo, PVP will usually always come second to PVE.

Woorloog

Banned
The vehicles are the worst aspect of it, imo. You're completely fucked if your super isn't up or if you don't have heavy ammo.

Oh they're unbalanced all right. Halo 3 had powerful vehicles but also powerful counters. Destiny is like Halo 3 in this regard... without the counters.
But they feel damn good, the handling, sounds, the way they fire...
Perhaps they really don't fit an ADS shooter though.

Fuchsdh

One of the things that bothered me is they progressively made Cortana look more and more opaque. That contributed to her feeling more "naked" but also removed some of the technological feel. The numbers crolling across her and the way she changed colors in Halo 1 always made her feel more like an AI to me.

Ended up missing you guys last night because we watched Inglorious Basterds until about 1045 and afterwards I played Pokemon and went to bed.

No movie tonight so I should be able to get on as soon as 8-9 or so central time if anybody is playing.

Woorloog

Banned
One of the things that bothered me is they progressively made Cortana look more and more opaque. That contributed to her feeling more "naked" but also removed some of the technological feel. The numbers crolling across her and the way she changed colors in Halo 1 always made her feel more like an AI to me.

Yup. She was also more interesting looking as she wasn't as busty and had short hair.
Would prefer slightly lighter color though, like Halo 2 had.

Anyone going to be on tonight?

If not I think I'll be watching Cruise Missile in Minority Report for the first time.

Not sure, I need to finish Bioshock and I think exwife might be streaming Destiny while Daedalius sits in the chat and touches himself.

It'd be fun to get a decent size party going again though.

Top Bottom