• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HaloGAF |OT: Anniversary| So fades the great harvest of our betrayal.

jem0208

You know how in PvE you get gear with varying stats? In normal PvP they're equalized. Everyone has the same defense stat and weapons have the same atk.

Iron Banner throws all that out because fuck it

Ahhhh. I thought the entirety of PvP was like Iron Banner.

PvP suddenly became a lot more interesting...

Edit: I just got 19 assists in a single game, that was frustrating...

Ramirez

hnnnggg dat golden gun

You are absolutely incorrect. You literally have no idea how difficult it can be to get started in pvp in WoW or SWTOR, because if you did you'd never type something like this. A fresh max level character CANNOT HURT a character with even a moderate amount of pvp gear. If you don't have PVP weapons, which you can't get just doing normal pvp, you will be at a huge disadvantage all the time.

Infinity is always awful.

He was probably talking early WoW/SWTOR.

But even then, early WoW PVP was dominated by raiders. I remember getting a crossbow out of Blackwing Lair that would literally one shot mages with an Aimed Shot. Then you had Shamans laying down WF totems for Warriors, which the Alliance didn't even have access to, and a Warrior with a raid sword could one shot other warriors if windfury proc'd, lol. It was fucking hilarious and unbalanced, but I loved it.

You're right though, the last time I played WoW a few years ago, you had to sink massive amounts of time in to even be viable in PVP in BGs, much less the Arena. There's literally no comparison between the two. Even in the Iron Banner event, if you're max level, you more than likely have gear that is capable to hang with everyone. I also understand the need for a mode like the Iron Banner. As I said above, getting that xbow in a raid, and then transferring over to PVP and dominating kids was fun as shit. This is not meant to be a ultra balanced, competitive PVP game. That said, as my videos have shown, the better player with probably still win out 99% of the time, and it's quite a feat they've even achieved that in a game with this structure.

Destiny PVP is all about your expectation VS the reality of what it actually is. It's not Halo, quit thinking it's going to be Halo because it's made by Bungie. It has flashes of Halo, but it's also very much its own thing, and if you can get past that (like I have!), you'll find a fun experience.

daedalius

He was probably talking early WoW/SWTOR.

But even then, early WoW PVP was dominated by raiders. I remember getting a crossbow out of Blackwing Lair that would literally one shot mages with an Aimed Shot. Then you had Shamans laying down WF totems for Warriors, which the Alliance didn't even have access to, and a Warrior with a raid sword could one shot other warriors if windfury proc'd, lol. It was fucking hilarious and unbalanced, but I loved it.

You're right though, the last time I played WoW a few years ago, you had to sink massive amounts of time in to even be viable in PVP in BGs, much less the Arena. There's literally no comparison between the two. Even in the Iron Banner event, if you're max level, you more than likely have gear that is capable to hang with everyone. I also understand the need for a mode like the Iron Banner. As I said above, getting that xbow in a raid, and then transferring over to PVP and dominating kids was fun as shit. This is not meant to be a ultra balanced, competitive PVP game. That said, as my videos have shown, the better player with probably still win out 99% of the time, and it's quite a feat they've even achieved that in a game with this structure.

Destiny PVP is all about your expectation VS the reality of what it actually is. It's not Halo, quit thinking it's going to be Halo because it's made by Bungie. It has flashes of Halo, but it's also very much its own thing, and if you can get past that (like I have!), you'll find a fun experience.

It was very fun for me when I had full raid gear in vanilla and could one-shot people without raid gear, but I'm sure it wasn't fun for them, haha. Its really dumb in current WoW, I hopped back in a while back to do arenas with some friends and it was just mind-numbingly dull trying to get the gear to actually play. I stopped after a couple of weeks of trying. GG 2 month card.

I've only been watching streams, but it looks like Destiny has a pretty strong strafe, and it doesn't look like you slow down at all when you ADS. It looks like you can win if you are the better player in an engagement, most of the time!

Supers and shit are just crazy, but they are supposed to be.

Ramirez

It was very fun for me when I had full raid gear in vanilla and could one-shot people without raid gear, but I'm sure it wasn't fun for them, haha. Its really dumb in current WoW, I hopped back in a while back to do arenas with some friends and it was just mind-numbingly dull trying to get the gear to actually play. I stopped after a couple of weeks of trying. GG 2 month card.

I've only been watching streams, but it looks like Destiny has a pretty strong strafe, and it doesn't look like you slow down at all when you ADS. It looks like you can win if you are the better player in an engagement, most of the time!

Supers and shit are just crazy, but they are supposed to be.

You definitely slow down when you ADS, but I don't think it's as severe as CoD/BF. I don't know if the strafe is that strong, or if it's more of the guns are actually hard to aim. The ARs are wild as fuck, and you have to be pretty precise with the rifles due to all of the movement options available to the player. I don't think it's an easy game at all, which everyone seems to be squawking because they got one shot by a super. The Warlock/Titan supers *are* lame, and people seem to say the same about the Hunters, but I've persoanlly only been killed by the golden gun maybe twice, and killed them before they could kill me more than that. The Warlock & Titan always kill me with theirs.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
At this point, my only big complaint about Destiny is that ADS feels pointless, and that there's such a drastic drop in hip fire accuracy while jumping. Why give us bad ass triple jumps and shit if you're gonna make our guns half useless in the air? :-(

Ramirez

At this point, my only big complaint about Destiny is that ADS feels pointless, and that there's such a drastic drop in hip fire accuracy while jumping. Why give us bad ass triple jumps and shit if you're gonna make our guns half useless in the air? :-(

ADS is all I do in PVP, strange. Hip fire seems to inaccurate.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
ADS is all I do in PVP, strange. Hip fire seems to inaccurate.
ADSing while mid air feels cumbersome as hell to me. It's totally doable, but not ideal. When I'm trying to plan my landing and track an enemy with my reticle, the last thing I want to do is obscure my vision by shoving a gun in front of my face.

Hip firing works pretty well if your feet are on the ground, though.

Ramirez

ADSing while mid air feels cumbersome as hell to me. It's totally doable, but not ideal. When I'm trying to plan my landing and track an enemy with my reticle, the last thing I want to do is obscure my vision by shoving a gun in front of my face.

Hip firing works pretty well if your feet are on the ground, though.

Oh, yea, I find aiming while jumping in any manner to be fairly worthless. Which, like you said is weird when there's a 3 jump ability, heh.

Oh, yea, I find aiming while jumping in any manner to be fairly worthless. Which, like you said is weird when there's a 3 jump ability, heh.

The way those mechanics intersect in the game feels so clunky to me. Running, jumping, aiming, ADS...swapping between those different mechanics just isn't a smooth experience. It's my chief issue with the game.

Ramirez

The way those mechanics intersect in the game feels so clunky to me. Running, jumping, aiming, ADS...swapping between those different mechanics just isn't a smooth experience. It's my chief issue with the game.

I agree it's a bit clunky in PVP, but in PVE and I move pretty effortlessly around the AI. They definitely nailed the gunplay, IMO.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
This isn't exactly a satisfactory solution, but maybe there will be specific guns that can be upgraded to have better mid air hip firing.

Ramirez

This isn't exactly a satisfactory solution, but maybe there will be specific guns that can be upgraded to have better mid air hip firing.

gmSz8mS.jpg

Perhaps stability is tied to hip fire, I'm not sure.

I'm looking at near final comic con materials for(non game) stuff and I am all asquee.

And yes I just coined a new phrase.

I'm all asquee about it.

Can't wait to hear about the new book.

And hopefully some comics with solid art.

Speaking of actresses, why wasn't Sarah Palmer Michelle Rodriguez?

Cuz she was already a random Marine in Halo 2 bruddah.

Unless they retcon her to becoming Palmer somehow.

That would have been cool.

Woorloog

Banned
You are absolutely incorrect. You literally have no idea how difficult it can be to get started in pvp in WoW or SWTOR, because if you did you'd never type something like this. A fresh max level character CANNOT HURT a character with even a moderate amount of pvp gear. If you don't have PVP weapons, which you can't get just doing normal pvp, you will be at a huge disadvantage all the time.

Infinity is always awful.

I said they're better, as in, more fun. Wasn't talking about how easy it is to get into them.
Also, my WoW PVP experiences were years ago, haven't touched the game since Wrath of the Lich King really (played perhaps a month some year ago, can't recall anything about that, the game wasn't interesting anymore). No idea how the game has changed.
EDIT while i say they're more fun, there are many other games i'd rather play for PVP than WoW or SWTOR. They aren't near the top of my "most fun" list.

Infinity settings are much better (as in, more fun to play with) than even Destiny's normal PVP IMO. Non-Infinity settings are well above those though.
And before someone suspects i'm bad at Destiny PVP and say the PVP is bad because of that, i'm not bad, i'm rather good actually (if measured by KD which is something like 1.75). Which is perhaps part of the problem, the game's lack of good skill matching is awful. My KD in any Halo isn't even near that (last i checked... can't recall when that was though).

EDIT Halo 5 is supposed to have a good skill matching, right? Because i really don't want to repeat Reach and Halo 4.
EDIT and hopefully guests, if still in, will be calculated more intelligently and not as zero or one, playing with guests in Reach and Halo 4 screwed the skill matching even more...

http://i.imgur.com/gmSz8mS.jpg[IMG]

Perhaps stability is tied to hip fire, I'm not sure.[/QUOTE]

Pretty sure stability controls all recoil and bloom, hip-fire or ADS.

Some of the Tsavo survivors were turned into Crimson fireteam if I remember that was a cool reference.

Didnt palmer was a ODST from Halo ODST events? I only remember Palmer was saving a random officer from a brute in the comics and enlisted to S IV program after that.

Woorloog

Banned
Some of the Tsavo survivors were turned into Crimson fireteam if I remember that was a cool reference.

Didnt palmer was a ODST from Halo ODST events? I only remember Palmer was saving a random officer from a brute in the comics and enlisted to S IV program after that.

Palmer was an ODST but wasn't in ODST, and i don't recall her backstory being linked to that game either.

Cuz she was already a random Marine in Halo 2 bruddah.

Unless they retcon her to becoming Palmer somehow.

That would have been cool.

Aw, that would have been almost perfect.

They should go with Lana Del Rey.
Man, they have enough fucking Space Americans in the UNSC. Rodriguez at least seems like one of her parents could have been born south of the border. I mean, huge chunks of the game take place in Africa, but the only black character I can remember is from Super Chicago.

Buy a globe, 343i

Aw, that would have been almost perfect.

Man, they have enough fucking Space Americans in the UNSC. Rodriguez at least seems like one of her parents could have been born south of the border. I mean, huge chunks of the game take place in Africa, but the only black character I can remember is from Super Chicago.

Buy a globe, 343i

ODST has a ton of black characters from Mombasa during Sadie's Story, at least. It was pretty refreshing seeing the whole debacle not ending up whitewashed.

ODST has a ton of black characters from Mombasa during Sadie's Story, at least. It was pretty refreshing seeing the whole debacle not ending up whitewashed.

Yeah but they are diversified white people.

Like Australian freak out guy. He's cool. He's from another country.

And Jorge. And Kat. They're white but they have Euro accents.

It's cool.

A great deal of the colonies have strong Eastern European ethnicities. Emile is a black character (according to the concept art for him) and is clearly of French decent, which has a real-world history (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_people_in_France). Aside from those examples, there's a few Hispanic individuals and the like, but nothing all that substantial. Hope Locke and Christina Chong's character will start a trend of a more diverse cast of characters.

Also, there was an ODST name Palmer in 3 (fun fact: voiced by Donna from That 70's Show), but she's not the same character as Spartan Palmer. http://www.halopedia.org/Palmer_(Marine)

A great deal of the colonies have strong Eastern European ethnicities. Emile is a black character (according to the concept art for him) and is clearly of French decent, which has a real-world history (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_people_in_France). Aside from those examples, there's a few Hispanic individuals and the like, but nothing all that substantial. Hope Locke and Christina Chong's character will start a trend of a more diverse cast of characters.

Also, there was an ODST name Palmer in 3, but she's not the same character as Spartan Palmer. http://www.halopedia.org/Palmer_(Marine)

He is?

Halo is one series where its not very whitewashed at all. so that argument should just be dropped.

It could be argued that "not very" is a good enough qualifier for a discussion. I'm not saying that a lack of diversity means anything close to the much loved Tumblr-used term "racist", but it would be nice for 343 to have some more diverse characters in Halo. Especially since they seem to have a renewed focus on the subject. So why drop it? Not everyone has the benefit of being represented in video games
, especially as a main character though it is getting better.

It could be argued that "not very" is a good enough qualifier for a discussion. I'm not saying that a lack of diversity means anything close to the much loved Tumblr-used term "racist", but it would be nice for 343 to have some more diverse characters in Halo. Especially since they seem to have a renewed focus on the subject. So why drop it? Not everyone has the benefit of being represented in video games
, especially as a main character though it is getting better.

While it would be very great for more diversity, we have to also look at the diversity in the Universe of Halo

The main draw of chief is that he can be YOU.

most marines in the original trilogy were Spanish/Latin, Black, and various Euro ethnicities.

very important characters in the games/EU are Female.
Halsey, Miranda, Anders, Kat, Foe Hammer, Kelly, Linda, Lucy, Palmer

Reach's cast was Diverse as well. Emile was Black, Kat was Eurasian, Jun was Asian, Carter is "american" and Jorge is of hungarian descent.

Anders from Wars is of Asian descent, the Spartan program as a whole (ORION, II, III,I V) were very diverse.
sgt. johnson and Jameson Locke are both black.

The Kilo 5 trilogy is pretty diverse with the Kilo Five squad themselves.

Woorloog

Banned
going off of his Voice Actor/ guy that is Playing him in Nightfall (Mike Colter).

Well, they casted Mike Colter, so it seems like a reasonable assumption.

And Chief's not the best example of diversity, since we've known he's white since Fall of Reach.

I see. Yes, logical.

The Chief is white canonically but we don't really see him... so he can be a stand-in for just about any male.

Locke's black? Where can we see that? (And no, i absolutely have no issue with that, just surprised)

http://www.halopedia.org/Jameson_Locke#Production_notes

He is to be properly introduced in the digital series Halo: Nightfall, in which he is played by actor Mike Colter.

And Ragnarok, the idea that the Chief can be you more or less went out the window post-Bungie. 4 introduced a more talkative, more character focused Chief. Mass Effect/Shepard this is not. And I always felt that Bungie's view on a blank slate main character was because their lore was more history based than character based. Marine/throw away characters were largely exaggerated and stereotypical, EU characters were just that, in the extended universe and largely non-important to the main games (with exceptions). Hell, Reach is a spin-off that killed off most of them. Not counting Johnson, who was a major stereotype (but still beloved) character, Locke is a new character. The one aspect you bring up that I am thankful for is the constant presence of female characters, especially varied, complicated, interestingfemale characters.

I just want to see a greater merger of the EU stuff into the games, not just in terms of gender and race, and I'm happy to see 343 take those steps.

Just read some interesting conjecture: the reason UNSC-rooted slipspace travel is so unreliable in some areas is because they aren't accounting for things like relative redshift or galactic drift. That is, in addition to the obvious rotation / revolution planets have going on in a solar system, those entire solar systems and their corresponding galaxies are also in orbit (or at least in motion) to a degree, meaning that pickpocketing a vector in slipspace would just be sending you in a direction and hoping the galaxy didn't move too far from you, it's not just teleporting you from point A to point B with travel time in between.

Just read some interesting conjecture: the reason UNSC-rooted slipspace travel is so unreliable in some areas is because they aren't accounting for things like relative redshift or galactic drift. That is, in addition to the obvious rotation / revolution planets have going on in a solar system, those entire solar systems and their corresponding galaxies are also in orbit (or at least in motion) to a degree, meaning that pickpocketing a vector in slipspace would just be sending you in a direction and hoping the galaxy didn't move too far from you, it's not just teleporting you from point A to point B with travel time in between.
can i get a link to this? relevant to my interests

That's why having Hurragoks work on UNSC vessels by adding Forerunner technology was so major. Traviis may get a lot of shit, but really did a good job highlighting this particular milestone. Lasky (and others) no longer need to rely on cryo, and Osman has diminished reactions to slipspace jumps.

I'm kinda amazed how detailed some of the fictional tech is. Thanks for sharing, there were some details I never knew!

Random17

The games are America-centric, the novels are also America-centric to a lesser extent. The UNSC is hugely influenced by America nonetheless.

Okay, that's really cool. Love those sorts of details.

Top Bottom