• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HaloGAF |OT: Anniversary| So fades the great harvest of our betrayal.

I completely disagree and I'll throw out the statement that Halo Reach and Halo 3 were more disappointing to me from a lore perspective than Halo 4.

No.

16563676_negged_gif.gif

I will grant you they shitted up the story in Reach if you were counting the Fall Of Reach as cannon.

Booties

Banned
Gonna Destiny in like an hour. Did you want to Halo?

Don't play that crap, play halo 4!

I completely disagree and I'll throw out the statement that Halo Reach and Halo 3 were more disappointing to me from a lore perspective than Halo 4.

You're insane!

So yea... anyone wanna play Halo 4?

msg Booties, I'm playing right now for like an hour.

No.

16563676_negged_gif.gif

I will grant you they shitted up the story in Reach if you were counting the Fall Of Reach as cannon.

Is that the dude from "I am the master chief, I am literally the master chief right now!

No.

16563676_negged_gif.gif

This. Three was fantastic lore-wise. We got a bit of a logic plague, some Librarian/MB/Iso-Didact goodness, and tensions between Elites and humans working together. Three was fantastic.

I get that it's kind of the point, but Reach was just constantly heavy. I did not care for any of the characters, the campaign jumped around so much I never understood the point, and as a reader of The Fall of Reach, I was pissed about canon discrepancies. Reach felt like a Call of Duty campaign. Some fun levels though.

Random17

No.
You're insane!

We're talking about the same Halo 3 that completely disregarded one of the coolest moments of Halo 2 (Hunters fighting with Elites), the same Halo 3 that failed to explain how High Charity got to the Ark (only recently did the Catalog mention it had something to do with Mars), the same Halo 3 whose plot was concentrated in the 2nd half of the game, and the same Halo 3 that utterly failed to conclude the Halo storyline or even finish the fight? I mean it left 5 big plot points open and that's pretty bad for a game promising to wrap up the trilogy and finish the fight:

1. The Covenant client species still existed, even if their main military arm was destroyed. We knew they still had tons of ships left over.
2. Ghost of Onyx and everything related to it.
3. Legendary Ending and Mendicant Bias' promise
4. What happened to the Forerunners?
5. Gravemind promising the return of the Flood.

While Halo 4 has its flaws (notably the fact that it as too reliant on the EU), the actual story being told is better once you have read the EU materials, in my humble opinion. It's not perfect, but it did seem like 343i put a lot of effort into it. Voice acting and characterization in this game was also top notch, especially because Halo 3 wasn't that great, especially in regards to Miranda and Truth's change from Halo 2. Hell, even the Gravemind pissed me off because he changed from a cool and collected omniscience to having a cringe worthy evil laugh after Truth's death. Truth went from a charismatic and deceptive figure to outright madman, and Miranda's death was incredibly dumb to begin with. Dialogue in general was not as good as Halo 2 although it was still quality, especially in regards to the Gravemind's rants in the mission Cortana.

Booties

Banned
We're talking about the same Halo 3 that completely disregarded one of the coolest moments of Halo 2 (Hunters fighting with Elites), the same Halo 3 that failed to explain how High Charity got to the Ark (only recently did the Catalog mention it had something to do with Mars), the same Halo 3 whose plot was concentrated in the 2nd half of the game, and the same Halo 3 that utterly failed to conclude the Halo storyline or even finish the fight? I mean it left 5 big plot points open and that's pretty bad for a game promising to wrap up the trilogy and finish the fight:

1. The Covenant client species still existed, even if their main military arm was destroyed. We knew they still had tons of ships left over.

While Halo 4 has its flaws (notably the fact that it as too reliant on the EU), the actual story being told is better once you have read the EU materials, in my humble opinion. It's not perfect, but it did seem like 343i put a lot of effort into it. Voice acting and characterization in this game was also top notch, especially because Halo 3 wasn't that great, especially in regards to Miranda and Truth's change from Halo 2. Hell, even the Gravemind pissed me off because he changed from a cool and collected omniscience to having a cringe worthy evil laugh after Truth's death. Truth went from a charismatic and deceptive figure to outright madman, and Miranda's death was incredibly dumb to begin with. Dialogue in general was not as good as Halo 2 although it was still quality, especially in regards to the Gravemind's rants in the mission Cortana.

It was good.

You coming back, Matt?

-Ryn

Banned
We're talking about the same Halo 3 that completely disregarded one of the coolest moments of Halo 2 (Hunters fighting with Elites), the same Halo 3 that failed to explain how High Charity got to the Ark (only recently did the Catalog mention it had something to do with Mars), the same Halo 3 whose plot was concentrated in the 2nd half of the game, and the same Halo 3 that utterly failed to conclude the Halo storyline or even finish the fight? I mean it left 5 big plot points open:

While Halo 4 has its flaws (notably the fact that it as too reliant on the EU), the actual story being told is better once you have read the EU materials, in my humble opinion. It's not perfect, but it did seem like 343i put a lot of effort into it. Voice acting and characterization in this game was also top notch, especially because Halo 3 wasn't that great, especially in regards to Miranda and Truth's change from Halo 2. Hell, even the Gravemind pissed me off because he changed from a cool and collected omniscience to having a cringe worthy evil laugh after Truth's death. Truth went from a charismatic and deceptive figure to outright madman, and Miranda's death was incredibly dumb to begin with.
The problem with a lot of your points is that back then, the extended fiction was mostly just a kind of background bonus for those of us that really enjoyed the lore. If you only played the games and hadn't read any of the extra stuff, Halo 3 did a decent job of finishing things off while also incorporating some interesting bits of lore that were cool to speculate about such as the terminals. It wasn't perfect and I agree with your points on Truth and Miranda, but at least everything was there that needed to be. It also did finish the fight. The fight that had been going on for 30 years was ended. Yes there is the issue of what would happen to other factions but that is cleaning up after the fight or a whole other fight itself.

Halo 4 by comparison started off promising and then ended with more questions than it answered. If I hadn't read the books I would've been completely lost because even with that knowledge I had trouble understanding certain things. The Didact completely failed as a villain if you only played the games in my opinion as there is little to no explanation to who this guy is and what the hell is problem with humanity is besides (what seems like) space racism. I mean even the terminals which contain IMPORTANT information are hidden away and require you to go to a completely different app/site to watch. There's just so many things that aren't elaborated upon at all or even eluded to that it creates a massive mess for those trying to piece it together and that is not good story telling.

TL;DR Halo 3 at least managed to wrap up most of the threads within the established games universe while hinting at some interesting bits.

Halo 4 did very little to explain anything to new and old players alike while creating even more questions than it answered.

Booties

Banned
Fucking christ. Besides the game I played with youexwife all of them have been me jip into a game that's 250-20 and I'm the only player against a team of 4.

November can't come soon enough. Can't wait to throw blow torch this fusing awful game.

Fucking christ. Besides the game I played with youexwife all of them have been me jip into a game that's 250-20 and I'm the only player against a team of 4.

November can't come soon enough. Can't wait to throw blow torch this fusing awful game.

Soooo... This storm just caused a brownout. Double checking all my stuff and trying to get back on. Hurricane force winds and all that.

Vman

Just started playing 4 again, been playing the playlist that says dlc included and have gotten 1 dlc map in 3 hours of playing. WTF is this?

If Cortana were to ever be replaced with another new model of herself, would that require one of the other cloned brains kept in cryo storage or a current cloned brain of halsey in this new timeline?

Nirvana

Played some fun customs the other night I hadn't seen before:

1. Pacman, this was quite fun with honour rules that ghosts aren't allowed to shoot
2. Battle Grounds with mini Spartans and random weapons
3. Octoglass rapid fire saws and a puzzle maze

Was good fun. Probs up for it again tonight if people are playing.

This. Three was fantastic lore-wise. We got a bit of a logic plague, some Librarian/MB/Iso-Didact goodness, and tensions between Elites and humans working together. Three was fantastic.

3 was terrible, every element of the story was done in half measures. I've already spoken about it a bunch before but I was heavily disappointed in 3's campaign - especially the lack of attention the separatists got.

If Cortana were to ever be replaced with another new model of herself, would that require one of the other cloned brains kept in cryo storage or a current cloned brain of halsey in this new timeline?

I think the brain gets destroyed in the copy process, so it'd have to be one of the ones in cryo.

Random17

The problem with a lot of your points is that back then, the extended fiction was mostly just a kind of background bonus for those of us that really enjoyed the lore. If you only played the games and hadn't read any of the extra stuff, Halo 3 did a decent job of finishing things off while also incorporating some interesting bits of lore that were cool to speculate about such as the terminals. It wasn't perfect and I agree with your points on Truth and Miranda, but at least everything was there that needed to be. It also did finish the fight. The fight that had been going on for 30 years was ended. Yes there is the issue of what would happen to other factions but that is cleaning up after the fight or a whole other fight itself.
Sure, the Covenant battle was finished, but the battle with the Flood was outright stated in the final level to only be on a delay. The Gravemind promised his return and looking at the recent
Escalation comics
it is probably going to happen very soon.

Halo 4 by comparison started off promising and then ended with more questions than it answered. If I hadn't read the books I would've been completely lost because even with that knowledge I had trouble understanding certain things. The Didact completely failed as a villain if you only played the games in my opinion as there is little to no explanation to who this guy is and what the hell is problem with humanity is besides (what seems like) space racism. I mean even the terminals which contain IMPORTANT information are hidden away and require you to go to a completely different app/site to watch. There's just so many things that aren't elaborated upon at all or even eluded to that it creates a massive mess for those trying to piece it together and that is not good story telling.
I did state this that the main issue with Halo 4 was that it was too reliant on the EU, in regards to the Didact's motivations in particular. Raising more questions than it answers is not surprising since it is the first game in the new trilogy/saga, it never promised to finish the fight so to speak.

As for the questions not being answered, I had a couple of ones mostly in regards to Cortana....

1. Is she truly dead? This type of question could not expect to be answered in Halo 4 anyway, since it is dependent on the actions of 343i in future media. I had recognized her death or loss in game though.
2. What drove the Didact to hate humans post Halo event in the first place? I think the issue here is that Silentium went over this in relative depth while Halo 4 didn't touch on it.

These were the two main questions to be answered in Halo 4's story, in my humble opinion. Certainly not as many as were left in Halo 3, and let's remember that Halo 3 was the end of a trilogy and not the beginning of a new one.

Similarly Halo CE left a number of plot points open which lead to Halo 2.

TL;DR Halo 3 at least managed to wrap up most of the threads within the established games universe while hinting at some interesting bits.

Halo 4 did very little to explain anything to new and old players alike while creating even more questions than it answered.
Well I'll TLDR my points I suppose:

Halo 3 an asymmetric/imbalance to its story, bad dialogue and characterization at certain points, and failed to finish the fight in all areas aside from the Covenant proper.

Halo 4, while too reliant on the EU, had the best voice acting out of the Halo games next to Halo 2 and ODST, and did manage to tell a story about the state of the Halo universe 5 years on, even if it did open more plot points as it should have since it is the first game in the trilogy.

Therefore Halo 4> Halo 3 purely from a lore perspective. I'm not even going to talk about the downgrade we got in story complexity in regards to the Covenant, something 343i have seemingly recognized with this new novel coming out this year.

Soooo my Xbox 360 finally crapped out after 4 long years. The disc drive won't read discs anymore, it just shows up as "Open Tray".

This doubly sucks because I was planning on selling it in the next few weeks to help pay for the Xbox One.

The only game I can play now with people is Halo 3.

Soooo my Xbox 360 finally crapped out after 4 long years. The disc drive won't read discs anymore, it just shows up as "Open Tray".

This doubly sucks because I was planning on selling it in the next few weeks to help pay for the Xbox One.

The only game I can play now with people is Halo 3.

Have you tried blowing on it?

Dub117

I really like Huragoks, reading about them and in ODST, does anyone think we will see anymore of their story, or is that pretty much done?

I really like Huragoks, reading about them and in ODST, does anyone think we will see anymore of their story, or is that pretty much done?

Well, they've apparently been vanishing in great numbers, so I'd guess they've got something planned for the little guys. No clue whether or not it'll be in-game, though.

Dub117

Well, they've apparently been vanishing in great numbers, so I'd guess they've got something planned for the little guys. No clue whether or not it'll be in-game, though.
Yeah, I just hope they don't fade to black without at least having some story or something. The way they were brought up in the recent books was pretty cool.

Top Bottom