• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HaloGAF |OT: Anniversary| So fades the great harvest of our betrayal.

daedalius

I said they're better, as in, more fun. Wasn't talking about how easy it is to get into them.
Also, my WoW PVP experiences were years ago, haven't touched the game since Wrath of the Lich King really (played perhaps a month some year ago, can't recall anything about that, the game wasn't interesting anymore). No idea how the game has changed.
EDIT while i say they're more fun, there are many other games i'd rather play for PVP than WoW or SWTOR. They aren't near the top of my "most fun" list.

Infinity settings are much better (as in, more fun to play with) than even Destiny's normal PVP IMO. Non-Infinity settings are well above those though.
And before someone suspects i'm bad at Destiny PVP and say the PVP is bad because of that, i'm not bad, i'm rather good actually (if measured by KD which is something like 1.75). Which is perhaps part of the problem, the game's lack of good skill matching is awful. My KD in any Halo isn't even near that (last i checked... can't recall when that was though).

If you say so, even during Lich King it was a long climb to decent pvp gear, otherwise you would just get global'd by everyone. So if that is fun to you, then sure, whatever. It was more enjoyable in Lich King than it is now, but that's not a high bar to set.

SWTOR's pvp was such a laggy mess I barely even touched it.

I personally can't have much fun with infinity settings, and I'm fairly sure most of the people here would agree.

The games are America-centric, the novels are also America-centric to a lesser extent. The UNSC is hugely influenced by America nonetheless.

What does America-centric mean in a world with a united Earth? There is most definitely a Military-Industrial based, political superpower vibe to the UNSC, but since Bungie/343 is American company(s), the filter is a given.

The games are America-centric, the novels are also America-centric to a lesser extent. The UNSC is hugely influenced by America nonetheless.

Halo 1: space, Halo 2 New mombasa and Space, Halo 3: Africa and space.

Kilo 5 trilogy Australia and Space
Fall of Reach: Space
need i go on?

Ukranian guy with spanish name pronounced in english. classic!

The UNSC pretty much destroyed the opposed factions (you know what factions) and have the dominance till insurrectionist strike back to UNSC.
What faction are you talking about?

The United Nations Space Command (UNSC) is the military, exploratory, and scientific agency of the Unified Earth Government which acted as the emergency governing body of the human race at large for a time.[2] The UNSC was formed in the 22nd century, a time when remnants of old cultural ideologies clashed for supremacy in the Sol System. The UNSC served mainly as overseer of United Nations military operations in space. After initiating massive militarization propaganda throughout its off-world colonies, through the UNSC, the UN defeated communist and fascist forces in a conflict generally known as the Interplanetary War, which consisted of several side-battles that took place on Mars, the Jovian Moons and the South American rainforests. Although the Interplanetary War brought a great deal of suffering to both the colonial population and the residents of Earth, it also united most of humanity's military forces by the end of the 22nd century.

also Kame, read this

and also This, to be better informed

Halo is one series where its not very whitewashed at all. so that argument should just be dropped.

Uh, no, unless you count aliens. It's far more representative of who the developers are (white guys and gals) than the actual population of the planet, which for a story set 500 or whatever years into the future is something I would consider important for immersion.

Here is a map where each country to scale to its actual land area:

1.png

Here is a map where the area is adjusted to reflect the population of each country:

2.png

Where are those South Asians 343i? I guess Eastern European is close enough.

The picture is considerably worse when you consider who the important characters are. Oh cool, that marine spoke some spanglish, meanwhile all the captains and admirals are white, and mostly male. Commander of the Spartan IVs is white. Commander of Noble team is white. Leader and ONI lady in ODST are both white. Marine guy in Wars is white. The bestest Spartan II is white. The super-duper scientist is white. The main dude in spartan ops is white. Even the computer people are white.

I didn't even remember Anders was supposed to be Asian because her name was Ellen Anders, and if we're giving out brownie points for a Hungarian, where in Asia did her ancestors live?

I mean, the extended universe's diversity is better but the games are the flagship product, and they have been pretty tropetastic so far.

The United Nations Space Command (UNSC) is the military, exploratory, and scientific agency of the Unified Earth Government which acted as the emergency governing body of the human race at large for a time.[2] The UNSC was formed in the 22nd century, a time when remnants of old cultural ideologies clashed for supremacy in the Sol System. The UNSC served mainly as overseer of United Nations military operations in space. After initiating massive militarization propaganda throughout its off-world colonies, through the UNSC, the UN defeated communist and fascist forces in a conflict generally known as the Interplanetary War, which consisted of several side-battles that took place on Mars, the Jovian Moons and the South American rainforests. Although the Interplanetary War brought a great deal of suffering to both the colonial population and the residents of Earth, it also united most of humanity's military forces by the end of the 22nd century.

also Kame, read this

and also This, to be better informed

You answered yourself in your copy paste wiki.

That's why I love the EU. The Acquisitions Admiral is presumably Middle Eastern. Imagine having some form of interaction in the main games? There are some really interesting characters of different backgrounds. I just want to see more.

In terms of the UNSC, maybe the earlier post refers to the "martial law" aspect the government took, making the armed forces branches the political heads during the war with the Covenant, with no signs of relinquishing that control? Idk

EDIT: ah, forgot about all that too

If you are saying the UNSC defeated the UEG then thats not true at all, the UNSC is the military branch of the UEG

No, read what you copy next time.

adding up

Prior to the Covenant attack on Harvest in 2525,[3] the UNSC was stretched across human space. The most urgent concern was to contain the spread of the Insurrectionists, a violent resistance movement consisting of colonists who wanted independence from the Unified Earth Government. The UNSC fought constant battles in a loosely-defined civil war known as the Insurrection. In an attempt to help end the long-running war, the UEG commissioned the ORION Project and later the SPARTAN-II program, which created elite supersoldiers to combat the separatists. When the Human-Covenant War began and the alien invaders began destroying the Outer Colonies, these Spartans became humanity's best hope against the technological superiority of the hegemony. When the war began the UNSC, which had been mired in controversy, became humanity's greatest protector. This allowed the UNSC to override civilian rule and establish itself as humanity's primary government. Although the Unified Earth Government was more open to step down, the Colonial Administration Authority, the arm of the UEG ruling over the colonies, resisted the UNSC's rise to power, and was stripped of its influence.

If you are saying the UNSC defeated the UEG then thats not true at all, the UNSC is the military branch of the UEG

And at that point, the UEG was still in control until late Insurrectionist/early Covenant War. At that point, UEG relinquished control to the UNSC's armed forces branches as the primary government, and have yet to give up that control post-war.

Also, here's some interesting info about the real world that most futuristic depictions haven't nailed:

http://proof.nationalgeographic.com/2013/09/17/visualizing-change/

Race is blending at an increasing rate. 500 years from now, there won't be any "pure" races, at least not like there is today.

The UNSC didnt "destroy" the Insurrectionists. hence the Kilo Five trilogy. And the Fascist and communists had no connection to the Innies of the Outer planets.

They couldnt, the covenant entered in that phase and do the cleaning for the UNSC in the outer colonies, leaving venezia as one of the primary insurrectionist/blackmarket cities still operational.

More like a fucking star chart. In the time Halo takes place several generations have literally never set foot on earth. The VAST majority of Humanity's population was not born on earth.

Master Chief was not born on Earth.

Well, my point was that the distribution of ethnicities among Halo characters do not at all reflect the distribution of ethnicities among human beings. But I guess people of European descent were just way better at... space?

Well, my point was that the distribution of ethnicities among Halo characters do not at all reflect the distribution of ethnicities among human beings. But I guess people of European descent were just way better at... space?

More likely (though I haven't brushed up on my Halo history recently) there was some sort of social, political, cultural, or resource-based issue that held back some groups from effectively exploiting space travel. Ever read Diamond Age (Neal Stephenson) or Existence (David Brin)? Both deal somewhat heavily with anti-technology movements, or (more precisely in the former's case), resisting the associated Western cultural morays that have traditionally accompanied technological spread. Also feasible is the possibility that population groups simply shifted over time, and that map you posted wasn't really relevant by the time Human space travel got off the ground.

"Tengerin? No, sopron?"

What, how do I supposed to know that

The live action mini series about reach explained some of the colonies have a certain particular ethnic group, Reach for example was ukranian/hungarian. most of the outer colonies were european I think.

So yeah, we need a world guide about Halo.

More likely (though I haven't brushed up on my Halo history recently) there was some sort of social, political, cultural, or resource-based issue that held back some groups from effectively exploiting space travel. Ever read Diamond Age (Neal Stephenson) or Existence (David Brin)? Both deal somewhat heavily with anti-technology movements, or (in the former's case) the associated Western cultural morays that have traditionally accompanied technological spread. Also feasible is the possibility that population groups simply shifted over time, and that map you posted wasn't really relevant by the time Human space travel got off the ground.

To me, that's all pretty lame backtracking to justify some poorly thought-out decisions. I don't really buy self-delusional The West is Still #1 Theory either, because...

20120630_wom941.png

Article

I think 343i should have known better when they went ahead and introduced several major characters (Lasky, Palmer, Thorne, et al.). To be fair, they seem to be going in a better direction with Locke, but we'll see. I mean, Firefly for example at least hinted at a complex multi-ethnic universe with all the random Chinese stuff (even if they didn't reflect that well in the casting choices).

To me, that's all pretty lame backtracking to justify some poorly thought-out decisions. I don't really buy self-delusional The West is Still #1 Theory either, because...

20120630_wom941.png

Article

I think 343i should have known better when they went ahead and introduced several major characters (Lasky, Palmer, Thorne, et al.). To be fair, they seem to be going in a better direction with Locke, but we'll see. I mean, Firefly for example at least hinted at a complex multi-ethnic universe with all the random Chinese stuff (even if they didn't reflect that well in the casting choices).

Firefly only had one season. I would have loved to see how they'd continue to world build.

20120630_wom941.png

Article

Backtracking it may be, but it's still justifiable. Sure, it would have been better to be more careful building this thing up, but you work with what you have.

And I'm just not 100% sure I buy into the whole "China takes over the world" thing. I mean... weight of numbers, sure, but they're heading towards a social crisis as well.

Random17

Halo 1: space, Halo 2 New mombasa and Space, Halo 3: Africa and space.

Kilo 5 trilogy Australia and Space
Fall of Reach: Space
need i go on?

And you missed the point and didn't read what I said regarding the novels. The locations are irrelevant. The games are America-centric because American characters and concepts are overrepresented in the UNSC. The novels are better but it should be noted that they are influenced by the games in this regard.

That's not surprising or a bad thing, since it is made by an American developer, but the novels talk about more diversity in say the Mona Lisa. as opposed to the level of diversity in Halo 3.

Halo 2 is the exception where we did have more noticable variety in voice acting, with commonly seen black, Latino and female marines having conversations; but this is still representative of America as a whole. (With Hispanic and black/African American minorities being a large part of the US's demographics, but not necessarily the UNSC as a whole).

From memory, the Halo Encyclopedia* stated/implied that China was the sole superpower by the Interplanetary War, and it was implied that the US had suffered a civil war at one point. It referred to North America as comprised of Mexico, Canada, and "the political remnants of the United States."

If we wanted a really representative UNSC in the game, you'd see a helluva lot more Indian or Chinese characters. Let's face it, America is overrepresented in the characters of Halo.

*Yeah sure it has reliability issues, but I see no reason to doubt this conclusion. Countries and locations became mostly irrelevant when the UNSC took over anyway.

Woorloog

Banned
I personally can't have much fun with infinity settings, and I'm fairly sure most of the people here would agree.

Infinity works because the core gameplay in Halo 4 is pretty strong for all its issues. Shooting and movement are good (though movement could, as always, be faster, especially strafing). Destiny's core gameplay is solid but unremarkable (and not nearly as fun as what Halo offers, and even less so in PVP) and as with all ADS games, it isn't very interesting and fights are uneven, unlike even in Halo 4's Infinity, as long as there are no power weapons in the play. The Infinity drops make the game uneven fast depending on the players' luck... but the nice thing about Halo is that you can fight back with just normal weapons if you're smart enough. Can't do anything about a Nova Bomb or Fist of Havoc in Destiny. I could live with ADS if the game was more balanced and more fun.

SWTOR PVP was at first pretty terrible (soon after the launch) but the last i played it, i was surprised at how fun it felt. As a random treat. To be honest, i entered it to get more XP as i had gotten stuck at leveling... but it was fun enough i kept doing it as a method to grind XP.

jem0208

Long distance with the carbine isn't that difficult. It's easier than doing it with the BR I'd say.
"bloody hard" relatively speaking. Compared to when you're within range of someone. The aim assist is massive.

I actually find long distance with the BR quite easy. Just sweep up from the chest and most times one of the bullets will be a headshot.

Which I believe EVERYONE is, though I guess it's only natural to think that. I made another SF vid, bask in it's Golden Gun glory!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VtnMb0ZOq0Q&feature=youtu.be

Elzar, we need to combine our efforts on these things, yours looked professional.

Thanks, the biggest tip I can give you is keep things simple. Use the games intro as a possible starting point, transitions with the PS theme look great, but they can mess up clip times. Usually I go for transition to black etc.

But I always finish with the 'PlayStation' outro.

More importantly music, pick the music first, then shuffle the clips to suite it. Share factory is a pretty nifty app.

Also your clips are better then my clips, so you should be able to make an awesome montage with them, the only problem I found was the map rotation is terrible, might as well be moon 24/7.

GECK

I
SWTOR PVP was at first pretty terrible (soon after the launch) but the last i played it, i was surprised at how fun it felt. As a random treat. To be honest, i entered it to get more XP as i had gotten stuck at leveling... but it was fun enough i kept doing it as a method to grind XP.

Only thing fun about SWTOR was Huttball. The rest was kind of garbage but haven't played in a long while. But man, huttball was just amazing when two evenly matched teams went at it.

Hindle

Banned
Do you think Sea based warfare for multi and singleplayer would be cool for Halo? For example boats, ships, hovercraft etc. I ask because we can fight on land, and in the air. The sea remains untouched though.

Woorloog

Banned
Do you think Sea based warfare for multi and singleplayer would be cool for Halo? For example boats, ships, hovercraft etc. I ask because we can fight on land, and in the air. The sea remains untouched though.

Not really cool. No infantry combat on water. It is pure vehicle territory, not very interesting.
And i wouldn't like a scene in campaign where you have to use a boat or whatever. If a Halo game had boats, the campaign would be practically guaranteed to have a section that uses them.

Ghazi

I'm still waiting for my H4 Elephant in MP. Imagine huge battles with those things on some Forge Island map.

Can you say Halofield?

Hindle

Banned
Not really cool. No infantry combat on water. It is pure vehicle territory, not very interesting.
And i wouldn't like a scene in campaign where you have to use a boat or whatever. If a Halo game had boats, the campaign would be practically guaranteed to have a section that uses them.

Would be hard for them to pull off as well. I was watching Waterworld and got me thinking the general concept of that movie would make for a great multiplayer map in Halo.

Woorloog

Banned
Whatever it was called in H4, probably.

The Mammoth and Elephant are pretty different, size and function.

Neither one really suits the multiplayer in Halos. For a spin-off that features larger scale battles, perhaps.

The Elephant in Halo 3 was fun but not really useful or a good idea.

Ghazi

The Mammoth and Elephant are pretty different, size and function.

Neither one really suits the multiplayer in Halos. For a spin-off that features larger scale battles, perhaps.

The Elephant in Halo 3 was fun but not really useful or a good idea.

I know, but like you said, it was pretty fun. The shenanigans, man, think of the shenanigans!

Top Bottom