• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HaloGAF |OT: Anniversary| So fades the great harvest of our betrayal.

Mistel

Banned
The difference having 1 player in your party is insane. Two competent players trump all the random amateurs found on halo 4 these days.

I don't think I could continually play a game where I'm going -20 every match.
That's even the case in big team a majority of games. I'm not even sure how some die that much in a single match.

flood warning and severe thunderstorm til the morning and tornado warning just expired.

BtHaY1jCcAEoYsK.jpg

This is it baby.

Hold me.

Omni

Just watched my niece play her first game of Halo haha. Surprisingly good at it. I kinda helped but she got movement down pretty quickly (I had everyone muted in-game and we were just driving the 'cars', by the way)

Good fun. /random tidbit

And on that note I just realised there are a whole load of people out there who have only played Halo 4... :3

Holy shit indeed. Wonder why they didn't or couldn't pay him before.

No one really knows anything in the public, but I wonder if the vacation pay had nothing to do with his firing. But not paying someone their back pay, especially in this industry where people are known for crunching and skipping vacations and all that, is just bad form no matter the laws of an individual state. But I'm Canadian so what do I know?

jg4xchamp

How long with gaf? I don't know 2 or 3 years of lurking?

26, New York from the good ol USA

Since 2003 when they released Halo 1 PC, and I've played all of them except Halo: Spartan Assault.

I spend most of my time in Multiplayer

Team Slayer, duh

Battle Rifle: why would anyone pick the assault rifle?

45 in Team Slayer

Lockout

Death Island on Halo PC, runner ups being Powerhouse in Reach, Lockout, Hang Em High, and The Pit

Bungie.net/Halo Waypoint

I don't know, Unreal 2k4 back in the day, Street Fighter, Bayonetta.

Since it didn't ask, I guess being up front about Halo is ideal. If i had to rank them.

1: Halo 2
2: Halo 1 PC
3: Halo Reach
4: Halo 3
5: Halo 4
6: ODST

Strictly when it comes to multiplayer, but Halo 1's place is also because that's the only Halo campaign I like. 2 stunk (lets be real), 3 and Reach disappointed, and I find ODST mind numbing. Halo 4 to me was just like "oh joy they made another Halo" Except on top of that they ruined the multiplayer which I love so much.

For Halo 5 I want the sheer fun of Halo 2 and reason to use most of the weapons like I felt in Reach. I didn't feel like one weapon could dominate everything. I also would like hit scan over bullet spread. I did not mind the bloom. I LOATHED armor lock, and I hate the shit map designs in Reach/3. To me Halo 2's map list was perfect.

Forge World is cool, but needs better visual direction usually. More importantly it be cool if the devs were on top of that shit quicker. Reach I thought it took way too long for the forge maps to be part of the rotation. Especially since a majority of those maps>the stuff Bungie made for the game (fuck original Zealot for instance).

Also custom games playlist, please. That's honestly when Halo is the most fun to me. When you get your buddies and just go do stupid shit with the playlists.

Hobbies: games, movies, television, sports (namely the NFL mostly)

Occupation: I'm an accountant these days, but I also work at a restaurant on the weekends. NY is kind of expensive to live in a home. So it's a benefit to have 2 jobs. I also created a website with me and my buddies on gaming, endlessbacklog.com. Still trying to figure out a hook for that thing lol

So, after no-lifing it this weekend playing Destiny on PS3, I can say that I will be playing a lot of this game come release. If I'm able to have that much fun on the "worst" version of the game, then I know I'll be glued to my screen with the other platforms.

I love the higher focus on co-op, because that was something I've always found a bit lacking long-term for Halo. So that aspect has already greatly incentivised me to buy the DLC and expansion releases. The challenging higher level story missions are a lot of fun, even solo (I have no friends on PS3, so I played by myself most of the weekend). I'm a big fan of the AI and encounter spaces in the story mode. Not sure about explore or strikes AI, but it didn't feel as challenging, maybe due to network reasons or having other players dropping in-game.

ADS works. I'm still more of a fan of Halo-style, and I wish there were weapons that implemented that more traditional scope-style, but ADS works fine here. The movement penalty is negligible to me (at least with warlock), and the hip-fire is actually viable. I got plenty of kills in closer range using the hip-fire. I've never really played CoD, so the only other ADS shooters I've experience with is Battlefield on PC and Borderlands. This mashup is better than both. In fact, this is basically a Bungie version of Borderlands with an actual compelling universe and PVP mode, and to me that is a VERY good thing.

Respawns/Checkpoints when soloing are pretty brutal on the higher difficulty when under-leveled, they send you quite far back, which I actually like a lot! It reminds me of Dark Souls, since even letting a weak enemy get the jump on you means death, you have to be playing well the whole time or face that punishment. And it also uses death and ammo penalties as counterbalance experimenting to find what works best for a particular encounter, which I also like. I'm actually a fan of the higher level enemies having a lot of health - it forces you to learn their patterns and weaknesses, and you can't waste any time not getting those critical hits.

I do wish they would tone down some of the infinite respawning in certain parts of the game, though. It gets to be a bit frustrating especially on the Strike mission, because some players prefer to stay back and snipe the Devil Walker, and not focus on the enemies at all, so it makes it not very fun for the players who prefer close-medium range combat like myself.

Crucible was a blast for me, as well, once I learned how the Control gametype worked. I think it would work in Halo as well, where the more territories a team controls, the more points are awarded per kill, rather than a steadily increasing point score for controlling the plots.

The PVP game isn't Halo, and besides all the player customization stuff spanning into the mode, I find the maps to be simpler and a bit more arcade-ey than Halo maps. Instead of weapons and powerups littered around the map, you have special ammo and occasional heavy ammo crates, which are tied to your choice of "loadout" (which you can actually customize mid-game, which I also appreciate for experimentation purposes - what works in one mode may not be ideal in another for you). This simplifies a lot of the movement and learning the maps, but at least in Control, there's still a certain Bungie-esque "flow", with no real dead ends that I could notice - multiple entrances to each location, which keeps you on your toes - not to mention the shortcuts and movement options for each of the class' special jump abilities. The faster-paced nature of the game fits pretty well, but I doubt we will be seeing any more focused arena-style gameplay like in Halo, so there's not much competition on that front. It's different, but familiar. Bungie's description of "more lethal" is pretty accurate from what I experienced. The Iron Banner (where loot/stats matter in PVP, normally it's flattened for the most part in other modes) will be really interesting to see once the full game comes out with all the high level loot and gear. I mainly rolled Warlock, but it seems a lot of people have their own wildly different opinions on which class or gun type is "OP" so that's a good sign of pretty close balance (as is reasonable for a loot game of this kind), to me.

Between this and MCC and 5 beta, I will have a very busy few months beginning this September, and I'm happy for it. :D

TheOddOne

First look at Agent Locke in Halo: Nightfall
Also: Bleeding Cool: Star Wars: Episode VII Casts Christina Chong
White Chapel and 24: Live Another Day actress Christina Chong has joined the cast of the now filming Star Wars: Episode VII according to Latino Review. The 31-year old U.K. born actress also appeared in Doctor Who as Lorna Bucket in A Good Man Goes To War.

The controversy about there not being enough females when the original cast photo was released has died down since the J.J. Abrams lead production has added 12 Years a Slave star Lupita Nyong’o and Game of Thrones star Gwendoline Christie and now Chong.

You can also see Chong the female lead in Sergio Mimica-Gezzan’s upcoming digital feature project Halo: Nightfall. Star Wars: Episode VII is scheduled to be released December 18th, 2015.

Both are some good looking people. Wonder if Chong's character will be in the main games, or if she's "cannon fodder" like the girl from the Chronicles of Narnia movies was.

Looking at Locke's picture, and the mere fact Ridley Scott is involved, I wonder if we're getting some kind of "research facility by Installation 04 gets overrun by Flood and the survivors have to escape" story. Which would be awesome, for the record.

IHaveIce

Banned
Just found out that one of my best friends (and coincidentally my ex-girlfriend) has ovarian cancer. Could use your thoughts and prayers guys.
My girlfriend( well since yesterday my fiancee) has it as well and she fights it now for a couple of months, but it is beatable, she will hopefully pull through.
Thoughts are with her

Computron

TCKaos and I just played against this guy...

I... I don't even... why?... how?...

yrOaHnG.png

So serious question. Why are you guys still playing Halo 4? Is it just that there is nothing new out like it, and you don't wanna go back to older games? Is there a decent playlist out there?

daedalius

So serious question. Why are you guys still playing Halo 4? Is it just that there is nothing new out like it, and you don't wanna go back to older games? Is there a decent playlist out there?

What exactly would you suggest?

I hope you aren't suggesting going back to the laggy, janky mess of Halo 3; because we did that a few days ago and played some customs... and it was still a laggy janky mess with an anchor attached to your crosshair.

I live nowhere near anything that could conceivably be considered a big city, or on a coast, so the netcode of previous Halos is just a chore. Not to mention H3's aiming is just annoying.

If it's a LAN, I'm doing H3 for sure, but not online.

Computron

What exactly would you suggest?

I hope you aren't suggesting going back to the laggy, janky mess of Halo 3; because we did that a few days ago and played some customs... and it was still a laggy janky mess with an anchor attached to your crosshair.

I'm not suggesting that you play anything, I'm merely asking why some of you are playing Halo 4 in particular. I haven't touched Halo, or my 360, really since I stopped playing 4.

Also, apparently everyone skips the thought of even playing Reach.

daedalius

I'm not suggest you play anything, I merely asked why some of you are playing Halo 4. I haven't touched Halo, or my 360, really since I stopped playing 4.

Well then to your previous questions, I guess we like it?

I mean, legendary customs are pretty fun, we even have a pretty legit no sprint mod for customs as well.

Computron

Well then to your previous questions, I guess we like it?

I mean, legendary customs are pretty fun, we even have a pretty legit no sprint mod for customs as well.

What about MatchMaking though?

Enough time has passed that I have probably forgot a lot of the annoying things that piled up enough to make me stop playing 4, but looking at MCC and some Halo 4/Reach/3 screenshots is kinda making me want to play again. I get that at this point in 3's life i'm probably not going to get very many good games in MM, but does anyone still play Reach?

Computron

I'd say it qualifies as a "previous Halo".

Reach netcode is nowhere near 3's though, you got hitscan as well. Reach's Netcode is decent, but I guess it comes down to finding other players and getting a good match for some. Not sure how its MM is doing at this point to be honest.

II SHABUTIE II

Neo Member
Reach netcode is nowhere near 3's though, you got hitscan as well. Reach's Netcode is decent, but I guess it comes down to finding other players and getting a good match for some. Not sure how its MM is doing at this point to be honest.

I played Reach about a month ago. I only played classic/anniversary/whatever it's called. I had much more fun with that, than I have with Halo 4 in a very long time(basically ever). I was finding matches pretty quickly. I was only partied up with one other player too.

daedalius

Yea, but bloom still exists, and its still awful.

I played Reach about a month ago. I only played classic/anniversary/whatever it's called. I had much more fun with that, than I have with Halo 4 in a very long time(basically ever). I was finding matches pretty quickly. I was only partied up with one other player too.

Sounds like you should play more customs.

I wonder if Destiny will have any sort of custom matches... I sure hope so.

jem0208

I'm not suggesting that you play anything, I'm merely asking why some of you are playing Halo 4 in particular. I haven't touched Halo, or my 360, really since I stopped playing 4.

Also, apparently everyone skips the thought of even playing Reach.

I for one actually really enjoy 4...

Much prefer it to Reach.

Woorloog

Banned
It occurred to me that Halo Master Chief Collection will have the longest (total) credits of any game, though of course it is technically a collection...
Assuming the credits are bundled together in the very end, they will top one hour easily.
Halo CEA has long credits, Halo 2 Anniversary is likely to have long credits, and Halo 3 and 3 are ports and likely have extra credits.
Considering you can apparently (at least this is how i understood it during E3) continue campaigns one after another without visiting menus, i reckon the credits are not included between campaigns...

If i had Live, i'd play Halo 4. It is decent fun, as long as i have a friend with me or playing with GAFers.
Halo 3 doesn't have enough players for BTB, nor anything else really. Skill-matching and netcode are terrbile with low number players, the latter was never great to begin with.
And Reach is Reach, i won't touch it.

Basically i don't have options. Not even when it comes to other games. I've stupidly sold my BFBC2 (no idea if it has players on Xbox 360 anymore though...), not interested in BF3, burned out of the wonderful ME3 MP. And i can't think of what other MP games i have, probably nothing i'm interested in.

willow ve

TCKaos and I just played against this guy...

I... I don't even... why?... how?...

yrOaHnG.png

How do you have 541,000+ kills and only 33,600 assists? Is this a SWAT or Snipers only account? Other than those two playlists I honestly don't know how you can have an account for 70+ DAYS of Halo 4 and only have 33,600 assists.

Not to mention they average 41.75 kills per game Nevermind, doesn't show games played, only games won, no way to know this stat. Really? In what playlist is that even possible?

Something's fishy about this pic. The only way I can figure these numbers are "real" is it's somehow showing Spartan Ops games for War Games stats.

aj1467

MLG V7 Reach is pretty awesome. The no bloom, no sprint settings makes reach somewhat fun. I'd rather play that instead of halo 4, even with Reach's slower/heavier movement.

Why does the black guy need brown armor? Even before we found out more info about Marlowe, I thought the brown-black with blue lighting was a wonky color combination. It looks almost Precursor-esque. Something like a muted scarlet would work pretty well to contrast him to the Chief. Like the color of the shirt he's wearing, actually.

TheOddOne

Reach’s ethnic diversity in characters was one of the small little things I appreciated about the game. They didn’t throw it in your face that there were different races, but just included them and didn’t make a huge deal out of it. Some mediums just straight up point out “Oh look, we got this foreign guy in it!” and then it sticks out like a sore thumb, because indirectly implying that it is something weird or quirky.

Reach’s cast eventually became memorable, even for the short time we spend with them, for their characters treats and that for me is key into making a diverse group of people work in a game. They are presented like every other normal soldier, with the same flaws and strengths.

Anyway, screw Elzar. Shout out to Bobs.

Fuchsdh

Why does the black guy need brown armor? Even before we found out more info about Marlowe, I thought the brown-black with blue lighting was a wonky color combination. It looks almost Precursor-esque. Something like a muted scarlet would work pretty well to contrast him to the Chief. Like the color of the shirt he's wearing, actually.

Well, I imagine your special agents don't run around like candy-colored Spartans :) From a design standpoint though, just painting someone black is a bad idea.

Top Bottom