• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HaloGAF |OT: Anniversary| So fades the great harvest of our betrayal.

To be fair, I've only really played generally loved games this year. Infamous, Destiny, Transistor, Broforce, The Walking Dead, The Wolf Among Us, etc.

Now that I'm working and in higher level courses, I've kind of stopped playing stuff that doesn't inherently appeal to me
TWD is bad though.

10 replies from people that think it's really good.

Reading these spoilers makes me want to pick up the Escalation and Initiation trades. Hell, I still have to get the Fall of Reach comics (were they any good, btw? Art looked good and I already know the story but if people say it's worth it...)

Will probably do so around my birthday.

Oh, and Destiny wasn't impressing me much. The art and environments are cool but overall I thought it was weak. Only played it for about a half hour or so but eh. Will probably try again tomorrow but I'm certainly not yearning for it or anything.

daedalius

Reading these spoilers makes me want to pick up the Escalation and Initiation trades. Hell, I still have to get the Fall of Reach comics (were they any good, btw? Art looked good and I already know the story but if people say it's worth it...)

Will probably do so around my birthday.

Oh, and Destiny wasn't impressing me much. The art and environments are cool but overall I thought it was weak. Only played it for about a half hour or so but eh. Will probably try again tomorrow but I'm certainly not yearning for it or anything.

You will miss out on pub stomps with us tho.

You will miss out on pub stomps with us tho.

Hopefully there is a Black Friday 50% discount or something because otherwise I can't see myself getting it this year at all. Money is going to be tight with all the other games I'm going to have to get.

Plus school of course. My gf and I are trying to actually go somewhere for Spring Break this year as well. You can only spend so many -15 degree (F) winters in North Dakota before needing a tropical break of some sort.

Fuchsdh

Yeah, about that:
Dunno why you want that abyss thing, unless you want to creep people out. Maybe this is essentially purgatory for people before they've been stored like on Requiem? Either way not funtimes for the people of New Phoenix...)

As for why the door's open, may be that it's always open so as to serve as a connection to the Composer.

Destiny beta still feels meh to me... it's cleaner and more refined than Borderlands, but lacks the charm and irreverence of Borderlands that made me engaged. Grr.

While the weapons don't pack the oomph of Halo, I do appreciate their varied nature (although that homing ammunition the Fallen shoot just feel like 'we retextured the needler so now it's white instead of pink!')

Playing the Destiny beta, after going into the game pretty much entirely blind, here is my opinion.

Destiny is a FUCKING MASTERPIECE.

GG Bungie, you've got another hit on your hands.

I'm still 100% convinced that Destiny 2 is going to be a steaming pile of shit.

Yeah, about that:
Dunno why you want that abyss thing, unless you want to creep people out. Maybe this is essentially purgatory for people before they've been stored like on Requiem? Either way not funtimes for the people of New Phoenix...)

As for why the door's open, may be that it's always open so as to serve as a connection to the Composer.

Destiny beta still feels meh to me... it's cleaner and more refined than Borderlands, but lacks the charm and irreverence of Borderlands that made me engaged. Grr.

While the weapons don't pack the oomph of Halo, I do appreciate their varied nature (although that homing ammunition the Fallen shoot just feel like 'we retextured the needler so now it's white instead of pink!')

Who was the smart guy
who decided to make a entrance to the abyss on the ivanoff station and then a portal to gamma halo yay.
. and why the entrance decided to be found just for the plot sake is mindblown.

The weapons in destiny are more predefined to be found in certain areas like a normal RPG drop, it feels dull compared to the weapon sandbox (that can generate the weapon with random stats and attachements) of borderlands.

To bad you cant craft or upgrade the weapon to have more options they way you like but still the weapon tree is not fully unlocked.

Fuchsdh

Who was the smart guy
who decided to make a entrance to the abyss on the ivanoff station and then a portal to gamma halo yay.
. and why the entrance decided to be found just for the plot sake is mindblown.

The weapons in destiny are more predefined to be found in certain areas like a normal RPG drop, it feels dull compared to the weapon sandbox (that can generate the weapon with random stats and attachements) of borderlands.

To bad you cant craft or upgrade the weapon to have more options they way you like but still the weapon tree is not fully unlocked.

The abyss is on Gamma Halo, which is where the Composer was originally. They moved it to Ivanoff station (they never travel there in the issue.)

It feels like a tacked on multiplayer that they put little thought into to me.

This so much this.

Singleplayer beta is decent, gunplay is fun but it feels like too much is going on at one time, cause there are so many randoms in your game too, half the time i dont even know where the fuck I'm going.

Multiplayer is in my opinion, really bad, not fun at all plus the fact that you use your singleplayer guns just creates way to many differences.

Would love to play with some of yous on XB1 but only singleplayer pls.

blamite

I hope that at some point we eventually get to go to Installation 06.
BKEetSJ.png

belushy

Banned
Played through the first Destiny mission on 360 (up until you get to the lobby with other players) and I actually kind of enjoyed the PVE. ADS doesn't seem as bad as I thought. I don't have a PS4 or XBO so I don't know how it compares but I think it looks decent visually.

Gonna play PVP tomorrow, so if anyone wants to join in on my noobness, my GT is belucheez.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
I think I'm the only HaloGAFer who really loves Destiny PvP, lol.

Speaking of Pulse grenades, 343 should rip off Swarm Grenades from Destiny. Those are actually effective (except they could be a tad stronger).
Yeah, they're pretty cool. I use them to block off entry ways all the time, which seems to be one of the Pulse Grenades' intended uses.

Yeah, they're pretty cool. I use them to block off entry ways all the time, which seems to be one of the Pulse Grenades' intended uses.

I like it too. I think the issue is most people here are expecting Destiny to play similar to Halo, so they end up disappointed.

-Ryn

Banned

I think it's a lot of fun.
I just wish handguns were more effective...

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
I think it's a lot of fun.
I just wish handguns were more effective...
Did we get matched with you randomly earlier, or did you join us on purpose and get assigned to the other team?

-Ryn

Banned
Did we get matched with you randomly earlier, or did you join us on purpose and get assigned to the other team?
Joined on purpose. It was weird too because there were like 4 minutes left in the game when I joined. Are there even parameters for JIP in the beta? Thought it may have been because I was trying to join as opposed to just searching.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Joined on purpose. It was weird too because there were like 4 minutes left in the game when I joined. Are there even parameters for JIP in the beta? Thought it may have been because I was trying to join as opposed to just searching.
I'm not sure, I haven't JIP'd much in Destiny.

Bagel truck
quick, claim the clan name

Edit : This headset will work on XB1 if I buy the official headset adapter, right?

http://www.amazon.com/ASTRO-Gaming-Audio-System-Xbox-360/dp/B004N7IIQ4/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1406177887&sr=1-1&keywords=A30+AUDIO+SYSTEM

I like it too. I think the issue is most people here are expecting Destiny to play similar to Halo, so they end up disappointed.

To me its probably because its like Call of Duty with its customization, there's lots of weapons to choose from and some of them can be more misbalanced than others because theres so many, but its also because they're taking your character from singleplayer to multiplayer, so if you get matched to someone like 2-4 levels above you they have items that change their stats drastically, which seems unfair imo.

Also probably because I suck at multiplayer too :p

IHaveIce

Banned
Bullshit, people have to stop saying this.
I expected a somewhat balanced pvp mode with imprvements after the alpha, and there are none.

It is the same thing like many people who still play Halo 4, they think it is still good or ok because they just dominate, but even that is just a sign of very poor matchmaking, gets even worse when they are bragging about "pub stomps" and then complain about the game when they get wrecked in customs by good people.
Same with destiny most people I see who like it are the ones who also use the OP autorifles, the tank thingy and brag how they killed lots of guys with their supers.

Also damn Escalation story sound interesting, shame the art is on such a low niveau.

-Ryn

Banned
Bullshit, people have to stop saying this.
I expected a somewhat balanced pvp mode with imprvements after the alpha, and there are none.

It is the same thing like many people who still play Halo 4, they think it is still good or ok because they just dominate, but even that is just a sign of very poor matchmaking, gets even worse when they are bragging about "pub stomps" and then complain about the game when they get wrecked in customs by good people.
Same with destiny most people I see who like it are the ones who also use the OP autorifles, the tank thingy and brag how they killed lots of guys with their supers.

Also damn Escalation story sound interesting, shame the art is on such a low niveau.
The skill matching could certainly use some work but the overall gameplay is fun in my opinion. Unbalanced and not without its problems but still a good time. Hopefully a lot of the issues will be fixed come release though because it can be frustrating.

--

It really does suck that the art is balls in the comics. I love the EU and it seems like I'm missing out but I'd much rather just read a novel than look at awkwardly drawn Spartans.

Fotos

I didn't think it would play like Halo at all. I quit playing the Destiny PvP to go play CoD Ghosts. Ghosts is still complete ass but I enjoy it more than Destiny's MP.

November 11th can't come soon enough.

Computron

Destiny:

I think i've found a glitch (that only appears to work with the starter Sparrow) that makes you go so ridiculously fast that you can't really steer.

Hold the right trigger, (This starting sparrow doesn't document the right trigger feature of adding steering control in its description like the later sparrows do, for some reason, although this still works) and repeatedly mash the left trigger until your out of boost. you should take off so fast the camera has some trouble catching up with you.

This is faster than normally peppering the left trigger, but you have to be holding the right trigger while you do it.

I'm on XBONE, playing as a Hunter, if that matters.

jem0208

Yeah, about that:

I thought needler as soon as I saw the fallen weapons, the little grunt fallen guys seem to carry plasma pistols as well :p

Only they shoot blue instead of green.

However the biggest problem with the pve gameplay for me is that all the loot is exactly the same except for some stat boosts. There's nothing interesting about it. The weapons in each weapon type feel identical. I am liking the DMR (or whatever its called in Destiny) though. Shame I found an AR with better stats :/

Top Bottom