• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HaloGAF |OT: Anniversary| So fades the great harvest of our betrayal.

daedalius

Really enjoying destiny.

Shooting isn't as solid as halo, but better than most shooters that make you ads. I can get away with hip firing most of the time.

Multiplayer is something different, it will be more fun to play with friends that is for sure. I like it, but not as much as halo .

Mistel

Banned
It's certainly a legitimate complaint. Bungie ignored the books, 343's relying too much on them. There's a happy medium I hope they will be aiming for come Halo 5.
To me I see no harm in there being an EU for halo but I'd have it so they are sort of supplementary to the stories in the game.Kinda like filling in the backgrounds or presenting side stories maybe.

jem0208

I think the games should fit into the lore of the books however they shouldn't be used for any plot details. For example the first 3 halos were completely seperate from the books yet they didn't invalidate anything from the books lore.

That's how I think they should deal with it going forward.

Woorloog

Banned
To me I see no harm in there being an EU for halo but I'd have it so they are sort of supplementary to the stories in the game.Kinda like filling in the backgrounds or presenting side stories maybe.

Like Star Wars did. Does? Not sure how new canon works exactly but whatever.

Fuchsdh

I think the games should fit into the lore of the books however they shouldn't be used for any plot details. For example the first 3 halos were completely seperate from the books yet they didn't invalidate anything from the books lore.

That's how I think they should deal with it going forward.

Welp, hate to break it to you but they definitely aren't going to do that. :)

IHaveIce

Banned
An EU and having interesting Stories in comics/books is one thing, though again having such important plotpointsl ike the return of the Didact and how Chief meets team blue.. (for fucks sake this should have been the dramatic ending cinematic in Halo 4) in fiction is bullshit.

And then in comics, there are a lot of people that are alone put off by hearing about comics(not me, though I really dislike the team behind the Halo comics)
Books would be better.

Lots of friends who played Halo with me since CE and don't read the Greg Bear books just had no idea what all the crap was in Halo 4, now seeing the Didact again and not knowing how he came back, because I didn't bought a comic is well... dumb.

Edit: And wow Wahrer, your last post was stupid, even by your normal standards

An EU and having interesting Stories in comics/books is one thing, though again having such important plotpointsl ike the return of the Didact and how Chief meets team blue.. (for fucks sake this should have been the dramatic ending cinematic in Halo 4) in fiction is bullshit.

And then in comics, there are a lot of people that are alone put off by hearing about comics(not me, though I really dislike the team behind the Halo comics)
Books would be better.

Lots of friends who played Halo with me since CE and don't read the Greg Bear books just had no idea what all the crap was in Halo 4, now seeing the Didact again and not knowing how he came back, because I didn't bought a comic is well... dumb.

Edit: And wow Wahrer, your last post was stupid, even by your normal standards

0603_6tjlk.gif
DEAL WITH IT
0603_6tjlk.gif

-Ryn

Banned
If 343 can get writers that know how to actually weave exposition into the narrative then I think it's fine if they do have some plot points that effect the main game. I think having the EU play a bigger part in the games can be great if it's handled right but having something with as much weight as
blue team being reunited
left to the comics is just stupid. Having it at the end of 4 may not have been a good idea due to a lot of people having no idea who they are leaving the potential impact wasted. If 4 had been written differently
better
then it could've worked.

The original trilogy may have been a lot more stand alone but at least people could understand what was going on. Well, if they had played the previous games as well. Bungie wasn't much better at keeping its story accessible to new players. When I played Halo 3 for the first time I had NO idea what the hell was going on. Who am I? Why is there an invisible squid lizard? That black guy is cool. Holy shit why is there a blue lady on my face!?

blamite

Waypoint has the first 6 pages of Escalation 8 btw, they're kind of goofy.
Thorne's diary said there wasnt enough info about the S-III just a rumors "they were deployed on reach" but still that chief figure is a big wtf for me.

The beginning of Halo 2 is about MC being made public. "Folks need heroes" and such.

How did he put his armor back? I remember the engineers guys had to removed it manually since the S-4 armor machine is not compatible with old armor.

I didn't read the issue but I'd assume he got debriefed immediately after getting back on Infinity, before he took his armor off in the first place?

If 343 can get writers that know how to actually weave exposition into the narrative then I think it's fine if they do have some plot points that effect the main game. I think having the EU play a bigger part in the games can be great if it's handled right but having something with as much weight as
blue team being reunited
left to the comics is just stupid. Having it at the end of 4 may not have been a good idea due to a lot of people having no idea who they are leaving the potential impact wasted. If 4 had been written differently
better
then it could've worked.

The original trilogy may have been a lot more stand alone but at least people could understand what was going on. Well, if they had played the previous games as well. Bungie wasn't much better at keeping its story accessible to new players. When I played Halo 3 for the first time I had NO idea what the hell was going on. Who am I? Why is there an invisible squid lizard? That black guy is cool. Holy shit why is there a blue lady on my face!?

This kind of sums up my feelings about it (well, maybe not that last bit). I really like a lot of the EU stuff, and I'd really love to see it make it into the games, but it needs to be done right. A little more exposition, and Halo 4 would've been a lot easier for folks to deal with.

Also: Blue Team exists entirely in the EU. To the best of my knowledge, they never got so much as a mention in the games. So it's a little silly to make a big deal of them staying there :p. Not that I'd be opposed to them making an appearance, but it really is something that's only valuable to people that've read the EU stuff.

halo-escalation8_2l-522338f994024e9b80a3f24f09f07bb4.jpg

Not sure what's funnier the Didact looks like he's got a Corinthian helmet. Or expressive dialogue with Chief.

God, I hate that art. Escalation could be a little goofy sometimes in the writing department, but most of the terribleness lies solely at the hands of the artists and their inability to properly communicate ideas, expressions, people, etc. So bad.

Not sure what's funnier the Didact looks like he's got a Corinthian helmet. Or expressive dialogue with Chief.

What about his pose before that page? also the Didact was wearing artorias ring
because he was teleported to the Composer Abyss and survived

Chief armor in Escalation 8 sometimes looks he is wearing a super detailed armor,a bra or having a fat armor and the females spartan wearing a thonge armor.

daedalius

Time to go buy on ipad immediately!

Also, internet upgrade woohoo, just in time for it to have been useless for the 10 hour download of destiny beta yesterday.

Danny 117

I saw someone over at waypoint suggest the significance of that page with Didact/Cortana/Chief.

"I'm not coming with you this time."

She could have came with... the didact, in his suit instead.

I see no other reason why they would reiterate on Halo 4's ending like that. Seems like a waste otherwise.

Vico

I saw someone over at waypoint suggest the significance of that page with Didact/Cortana/Chief.

"I'm not coming with you this time."

She could have came with... the didact, in his suit instead.

I see no other reason why they would reiterate on Halo 4's ending like that. Seems like a waste otherwise.

That... Makes sense.
I almost feel spoiled now lol. Though I always get this feeling even when the fan theories end up being nothing.

I'll never get over the Didact's design.
MP is fantastic. Needs some balancing, but I've been playing it more than anything. It just feels great right out of the box. Map design is solid, vehicles are fun (easily taken out by supers and heavy weapons), and I like the random events they do.
I feel like I should quote your posts around Halo 4's release about it's MP.
It felt like it took you a while to take off the hype goggles.

Supers are the biggest problem I have with the MP right now.

I'll never get over the Didact's design.

I feel like I should quote your posts around Halo 4's release about it's MP.
It felt like it took you a while to take off the hype goggles.

Supers are the biggest problem I have with the MP right now.

Cyclone still got them sprint goggles on

heckfu

Banned
HaloGaf isn't really the Halo OT. It's a place where cool guys and gals who share a love of Halo can meet up and have good times. Whether that's discussing Halo (which it will be if there's news), NFL, or Speedy gettin' owned by Moms.

Uh...nope.

Wasn't the issue more with exclusively posting that kind of stuff in here without regard to its respective thread as opposed to discussing it in general? There was also the issue of news only getting shown here and not being posted into its own thread among other... problems.

HaloGaf isn't really the Halo OT. It's a place where cool guys and gals who share a love of Halo can meet up and have good times. Whether that's discussing Halo (which it will be if there's news), NFL, or Speedy gettin' owned by Moms.
The complete OTness, community segregation and drama that a surrounding wall tends to bring is a large part of why there have been issues before.

HaloGAF isn't our own mini-GAF for talking about whatever.
Going by the mods posts and reasons why there has been so many closes, some level of off topic natter is unavoidable, but the pages should be largely relevant to Halo [and should be civil].

From my perspective, this is the current Halo OT, along with the lore thread in the gaming side.

Mistel

Banned
God, I hate that art. Escalation could be a little goofy sometimes in the writing department, but most of the terribleness lies solely at the hands of the artists and their inability to properly communicate ideas, expressions, people, etc. So bad.
The art is always iffy with these I mean in that panel Cortana looks more like that spartan lady (Ray?) to me than Cortana. The whole Chief is the silent(ish) protagonist thing to me makes it odd for him to be all expressive all of sudden like that.

TCKaos

Also: Blue Team exists entirely in the EU. To the best of my knowledge, they never got so much as a mention in the games. So it's a little silly to make a big deal of them staying there :p. Not that I'd be opposed to them making an appearance, but it really is something that's only valuable to people that've read the EU stuff.

The only references to Blue Team that I know of in the games are the loadout names in Reach and the Linda Co-op easter egg in Anniversary:

ep3932m.jpg

When playing co-op there'll be a second reading in the cryo chamber. It's for Linda.

But yeah, they've never actually been mentioned, which is a shame because they're awesome.

Fuchsdh

The complete OTness, community segregation and drama that a surrounding wall tends to bring is a large part of why there have been issues before.

HaloGAF isn't our own mini-GAF for talking about whatever.
Going by the mods posts and reasons why there has been so many closes, some level of off topic natter is unavoidable, but the pages should be largely relevant to Halo [and should be civil].

From my perspective, this is the current Halo OT, along with the lore thread in the gaming side.

They should tell that to BlackGAF, GayGAF, TransGAF, et al then.

I mean, I'm all for keeping things on-topic but I really don't see what separates us from the aforementioned except we're in gaming community as opposed to offtopic.

Kaos is right in that the easter egg is the only time Blue Team gets a mention in the games. Halo CE explicitly makes Chief the last Spartan in the manual, and Bungie never changed that impression in any of their games.

Yeah after 2 days playing I'm pretty much done with Destiny, it's just not the type of game I would sink into everyday.
PVE is pretty meh while PVP is just
chansub-global-emoticon-1ddcc54d77fc4a61-28x28.png
seriously at least Borderlands was fun with all its quirky characters.

Overall I'm pretty disappointed

anyway I can't wait for the escalation issue! it's nice seeing Chief and blue team together again

Fracas

#fuckonami
Fracas, I'm pretty sure every new game you play is your GOTY. :p

To be fair, I've only really played generally loved games this year. Infamous, Destiny, Transistor, Broforce, The Walking Dead, The Wolf Among Us, etc.

Now that I'm working and in higher level courses, I've kind of stopped playing stuff that doesn't inherently appeal to me

Top Bottom