• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HaloGAF |OT: Anniversary| So fades the great harvest of our betrayal.

Does anyone other than me and you know what they are though?

Nah, probably not. All of the PLC (halysis 2.0) weapons get their own technical names, though. Couple examples are:

GNAS-18 First Class Staccato Arbelist, Personal-Compound
Frontier Adaptability Sidearm, SI-14 Amorphous, Crystalline
HDL-CLS Gravimetric Articulate, Trace Translocation Auxiliary

And then examples of how the weapon data is presented in-game:

iHpblL765S8Bp.png

iVPVNI03V8wpO.png

Mistel

Banned
When you have the internet, you know everything.
What is the answer to Beal's conjuncture then?
Nah, probably not. All of the PLC (halysis 2.0) weapons get their own technical names, though. Couple examples are:

GNAS-18 First Class Staccato Arbelist, Personal-Compound
Frontier Adaptability Sidearm, SI-14 Amorphous, Crystalline
HDL-CLS Gravimetric Articulate, Trace Translocation Auxiliary
I can see why you like the forerunner naming system for things to be fair anti-materiel Z-390 high explosive munitions rifle does sound really cool.

Wahrer you need to make your game, dude. The world needs more arena shooters.

I'm shooting for some semblance of playable Q3 2015. Big thing right now is waiting for Quake 4 Free to kick off, and using that as a base. Also waiting to get settled into the Air Force by proxy so that I'll have an actual salary to work with and have a little extra money to pour into this thing. I'm biding my time, not letting it turn into vaporware. Pilot album (kinda like how Fall of Reach predated CE) should be coming out early September at the latest.

Fracas

#fuckonami
I'm shooting for some semblance of playable Q3 2015. Big thing right now is waiting for Quake 4 Free to kick off, and using that as a base. Also waiting to get settled into the Air Force by proxy so that I'll have an actual salary to work with and have a little extra money to pour into this thing. I'm biding my time, not letting it turn into vaporware.

It's probably totally against what you've drawn up so far, but an arena brawler-FPS based around the gravity gauntlet sounds interesting. At the very least, it'd be a breath of fresh air (though what you've posted so far sounds different enough)

belushy

Banned
I'm shooting for some semblance of playable Q3 2015. Big thing right now is waiting for Quake 4 Free to kick off, and using that as a base. Also waiting to get settled into the Air Force by proxy so that I'll have an actual salary to work with and have a little extra money to pour into this thing. I'm biding my time, not letting it turn into vaporware. Pilot album (kinda like how Fall of Reach predated CE) should be coming out early September at the latest.

Are you not going to use UE4?

Podcast will probably be recorded next week. We've been hella busy. Mix is busy doing a play being the shapoopy guy, Wahrer, Ghazi, and I have been swamped at our respective jobs. Don't know if this has been said but Bravo is the special guest.

Podcast will probably be recorded next week. We've been hella busy. Mix is busy doing a play being the shapoopy guy, Wahrer, Ghazi, and I have been swamped at our respective jobs. Don't know if this has been said but Bravo is the special guest.
Can't wait guys. Will share the heck out of it of course.

Wahrer lets work together to create a background lore for your game. And then talk about it extensively in this thread to annoy lore haters.

We gotz dis

Wahrer lets work together to create a background lore for your game. And then talk about it extensively in this thread to annoy lore haters.

We gotz dis

It's already done.

ipg4dYnAf6w3X.png

Are you not going to use UE4?

Whoops, I meant Unreal Tournament 4 Free. Yeah, using UE4. Again, by "sinking money" I mostly meant paying for the subscription.

It's probably totally against what you've drawn up so far, but an arena brawler-FPS based around the gravity gauntlet sounds interesting. At the very least, it'd be a breathe of fresh air.

In contrast to the guns-grenades-melee trinity Halo's sandbox works with, PLC's is more of a snowflake consisting of six parts:

ibnLr17HILrg0L.png

The Gravity Gauntlet and a second sword-javelin weapon are melee weapons in the Halo sense, in that they still represent the Gunplay section. However, in addition to gun-based melees, there's an intimate brawler sort of mechanic known as Fisticuffs, where if you go weaponless you switch to an emergency, class-sensitive melee weapon with unlimited ammo and a slightly modified controller scheme. Fisticuffs make you lighter and slightly faster, as well as giving you a few melee combat options:

- Punch
- Block
- Kick
- Lunge (replaces jump)
- Crouch

A lunge is a more horizontally-oriented jump, but can be used in a stationary sense as a shorthop to avoid kicks. Crouches can avoid punches, likewise. The Block will defend you from punches and kicks with proper timing, and potentially defer headshots versus riflemen. Successfully blocking a punch or kick allows you to perform a counter-strike, either by punching or kicking, which initiates a special animation (think front-facing assassination) that does double damage.

Fisticuffs still get shut down completely by gun users at range, but try to naturally expand the melee combat of Halo and avoid the "melee is a one-shot-kill" ghetto that's been perpetuated in FPSes lately. Fisticuffs users will thrash riflemen at close range. "Melee" is your usual Halo punch-with-gun tactic. Classes have slight variation in their Fisticuffs properties, which take into account three variables: Stun, Knockback and Damage. The largest character has moderate damage, low stun and high knockback, allowing him to punch enemies across the room - meaning his Fisticuffs are more reserved for finishers. On the flipside, the patron users of the Gravity Gauntlet and sword-javelin's Fisticuffs have extremely high damage, low knockback, and high stun, meaning that you're good as dead if you get close.

The Gravity Gauntlet and Schianova (sword-javelin) are different in that they can combat riflemen at any range: the Gauntlet is a shotgun with an alt-fire ranged "bolt" that does no damage but heavily ramps up the gravity of anything it hits including vehicles, while the Schianova can be thrown Halo Wars honor guard pike-style like a hugeass throwing knife, and can insta-teleport you to wherever it happens to land.

Defect

You know, I never realized how bad 30fps on Halo 3 is until just now. I came on after playing TLOU:R and wow, it feels so laggy.

-Ryn

Banned
YOU'VE ALREADY SAID TOO MUCH. THE INFORMATION IS COMPROMISED. ABORT ABORT
I look forward to a leaked video showing
space Arthur
in a barn eating
space pizza
when something suddenly crashes through the roof. The dust and hay clears to reveal
Space Merlin
. He tells you of the legendary Schianova and produces the Gravity Gauntlet which shimmers in the full moons light; majestic and brimming with power.

Halo

willow ve

You know, I never realized how bad 30fps on Halo 3 is until just now. I came on after playing TLOU:R and wow, it feels so laggy.

Speaking of laggy Halo 3 play - I miss the xbox live taunts back then of "Dude, upgrade your K Mart internet" etc. Everyone using a mic was a good time.

Also on a tangent to WaherGAF and VaporGAME. Is the team behind Murder Miners doing anything new? Perhaps a shooter for Xbox One?

-Ryn

Banned
So this sadist, Prinz Eugn, came to hang before he moves out-of-state, and it gave me the sads...

:/
It sucks when friends go but at least there are a lot of ways to keep in touch these days. The internet is awesome like that.

Did you party hard?

Speaking of laggy Halo 3 play - I miss the xbox live taunts back then of "Dude, upgrade your K Mart internet" etc. Everyone using a mic was a good time.

Also on a tangent to WaherGAF and VaporGAME. Is the team behind Murder Miners doing anything new? Perhaps a shooter for Xbox One?
As far as I know they are still working on updating Murder Miners some more (which is great because that game is loads of fun). It's going to be cool to see what they come up with next though.

I look forward to a leaked video showing
space Arthur
in a barn eating
space pizza
when something suddenly crashes through the roof. The dust and hay clears to reveal
Space Merlin
. He tells you of the legendary Schianova and produces the Gravity Gauntlet which shimmers in the full moons light; majestic and brimming with power.

Halo

Jesus Christ, this is a little too accurate for comfort.

Looks nice! It's funny, though, it's like the antithesis of Livechamber's visual design - this looks like Unreal Tournament taken to natural extremes with a little bit of Halo and Killzone thrown in. Livechamber is pretty much Wind Waker in space with guns, by comparison.

My only complaint - and this is more of a general shooter thing - is that I feel like we're getting way too many "potatomobile" hover-vehicles lately. The little hover-bike thing they had in the trailer just scooted around with next to no points of articulation, kind of like the Sparrow in Destiny. I think small hovercraft can be done right, but they look so static when they don't move at all aside from actual locomotion.

-Ryn

Banned
Looks nice! It's funny, though, it's like the antithesis of Livechamber's visual design - this looks like Unreal Tournament taken to natural extremes with a little bit of Halo and Killzone thrown in. Livechamber is pretty much Wind Waker in space with guns, by comparison.

My only complaint - and this is more of a general shooter thing - is that I feel like we're getting way too many "potatomobile" hover-vehicles lately. The little hover-bike thing they had in the trailer just scooted around with next to no points of articulation, kind of like the Sparrow in Destiny. I think small hovercraft can be done right, but they look so static when they don't move at all aside from actual locomotion.
That sounds awesome! I loved Wind Wakers visual style (as well as the game itself). Do you just mean that in the sense that it's very colorful and Cel shaded? Or is the art style similar as well? Also, are there Tassels and Cinnabons everywhere?

So something similar to how the Halo CE Ghost moved (just less slippery and more responsive)?

That sounds awesome! I loved Wind Wakers visual style (as well as the game itself). Do you just mean that in the sense that it's very colorful and Cel shaded? Or is the art style similar as well? Also, are there Tassels and Cinnabons everywhere?

So something similar to how the Halo CE Ghost moved (just less slippery and more responsive)?

In hindsight the Ghost is pretty obviously a hovercraft as a way of making more weird vehicles without having to worry about articulation. I'm just saying there's easy ways to make vehicles look like they're alive and moving without necessarily having a ton of moving parts, for example the Revenant. The hover-thing in the Toxikk trailer just looked like it was on wires.

The art style is colorful and usually minimalist. It's cel-shaded without outlines. The multiplayer designs are pretty succinct by 2014 shooter standards, aiming for a level of detail between Combat Evolved and Mirror's Edge, just with more time to refine those styles:

iTYFNrkh8qCnK.png

ibfpXCcjdonwqo.png

iKkwW6nOvnSAk.png
if8mEGbc39H7T.png

While designs in the story mode / campaign if it ever comes to fruition have the capacity to be a little more detailed:

iTGaUK1KkO1qM.png

iEECbZN7x2uaa.png

antigoon

Gameplay looks good, but I have this hangup about games (or anything, really) defining itself by what it's not.

Yeah. That was the first thing that struck me about the trailer. Seemed kind of immature. And the name could just be a 15 year old's Xbox Live handle.

But it does look interesting.

Yeah. That was the first thing that struck me about the trailer. Seemed kind of immature. And the name could just be a 15 year old's Xbox Live handle.

The names did seem pretty uninspired, but then again a lot of nominal things in video games do. Now you see why things like Type-25 Directed Energy Weapon are important.

belushy

Banned

They said on their forum that the name is some sort of jab at military shooters or something.

Top Bottom