• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HaloGAF |OT: Anniversary| So fades the great harvest of our betrayal.

Defect

What do you mean?
I know everything can change eventually with playlist management and all that. Only one playlist for each specific game is just lame. I don't want a mix of random gametypes if I just want to play Halo 3 for example. And I don't want to have to play doubles in Halo 4 if that's going to be a 1-4 playlist.

I know it is hard to handle the playlists for 4 separate games ( and H2A) but I fear that it is going to be a mess. Plus there is the ranking system that they SHOULD be talking about now. I doubt there are going to be Social/Ranked playlists because it would just cause a Reach situation where there are just too many.

It's just disappointing.

DAT TEASE.
Figures that I'm the only one to comment on this.. lol
ha I thought the same thing, but didn't say anything.

EDIT: Been thinking about Halo 2 lately. As much as I enjoyed the game, I'm not sure I want to deal with all the glitches. I may stick to CE instead, mixed in with some halo 3 action.

Mistel

Banned
DAT TEASE.
Figures that I'm the only one to comment on this.. lol
I was going to say something but I know how much the CE pistol means to you so I let you have the limelight.
Been thinking about Halo 2 lately. As much as I enjoyed the game, I'm not sure I want to deal with all the glitches. I may stick to CE instead, mixed in with some halo 3 action.
Aren't they gone in the version that's in the collection?

I was going to say something but I know how much the CE pistol means to you so I let you have the limelight.

Aren't they gone in the version that's in the collection?

Kinda sorta. Control glitches (like the button combos) are still in, but physics dependent stuff like superjumps is mostly gone due to being uprezzed; those were pixel-perfect physics glitches, so they don't really apply.

Kinda sorta. Control glitches (like the button combos) are still in, but physics dependent stuff like superjumps is mostly gone due to being uprezzed; those were pixel-perfect physics glitches, so they don't really apply.

I think they're still possible, but perhaps more difficult or slightly altered.

Competa

Banned
Seriously, all these QA's at the MCC panel were retarded. Don't they have internet?!
All these questions have been answered a million times !

I'm a litle dissapointed, it was basically nearly the same like the RTX panel.

Maybe well see something at Gamescom?

AlStrong

More or less., but we started doing some 60fps tests on youtube. it's frustrating because you can't tell if frame drops are from the capture or browser perf, and you have no control over what people will ultimately see. Still tinkering.

I don't suppose there's an engine-side function for measuring framerate (or frame times)? Aren't there performance analyzers in the SDK too?

Digital Foundry does have their analyzer tool for raw 60Hz captured video, but *ahem* dunno if that'd be an option for this. For reasons. :p >_<

I'm literally the only person in the world who calls it what it really is -- a magnum.

V5ODerW.gif

:eek:

Is outdated. 3sk needs more bloom.
Bloom and expanding crosshairs that look like plus signs need to go. Static reticles are what fans identify Halo with while bloom is what makes people think of Reach/H4 and every other shooter IMO.

I think players were totally fine using the automatic weapons with static reticles in Halo 1-3.
What's he teasing? Just the return of CE multiplayer, or...?
idk, but any mention of that is a tease :]
I'm literally the only person in the world who calls it what it really is -- a magnum.
I used to do the same until I heard Bungie/343 interchange them. Now it's just whatever I feel like using at the time.

Sibylus

Banned
Anyone else perpetually annoyed at the naming conventions on the Halo Wikia? It's an endless procession of list after list of NATO-esque designations for weapons, creatures, and vehicles that makes it impossible to navigate if you're not the grognardiest grognard who ever grogged a nard. One the worst-formatted wikis I've ever opened.

Sibylus

Banned
Oh, and a gripe sequel: when I try to obtain context on one of these nuggets in their respective lists, the particular game they're featured in tends to be buried in a subsection comment near the bottom of the page. I could format this more competently with my hands strapped to deluxe toasters.

Mistel

Banned
Close enough I guess.
Aren't they all M something personal defense weapon systems?

Computron

You'd think so, but people are stupid. I can see the "OMG H2A stutters at 45fps" comments already.

We saw this with people judging Destiny's XBONE IQ and performance based off of a 720p GameDVR leaked footage. It skipped a frame or two while filming a plain wall (Probably because the dashboard was invoked or something like that) and people were flipping out.

It was hilarious.

Obscured

Finally got around to watching the panel. Really interesting to hear some of the history and where they are going. And damn Blur are wizards.

Making me wish I had some halo to play this summer.

If duel wielding should ever return they should either make it so it is a different subset of weapons that can be duel wielded (I can only pick up one Magnum, but two pistols), but then it doesn't really differentiate it other than the fact it is fun to duel wield. The other thing would be that each has a separate reticule. So instead of the combined in the center of the screen there would be two say shoulder width apart. So you can cover more area, which might allow you to put fire on multiple targets at the same time or if centered right hitting both sides of a single spartan but headshots wouldn't work.

Madness

We saw this with people judging Destiny's XBONE IQ and performance based off of a 720p GameDVR leaked footage. It skipped a frame or two while filming a plain wall (Probably because the dashboard was invoked or something like that) and people were flipping out.

It was hilarious.

It's also Halo and an important MS/Xbox One title, it'll get unnecessarily scrutinized or criticized.

Ever since Bravo took lead as community manager everything regarding community interaction has improved.

Bravo has been doing a great job, so not to take anything away from him but BS Angel's interaction was pretty good too. Let's be fair to the era of Halo games she was involved with. The communities were dying out, fights were everywhere, the fanbase in general was plagued.. but she did well IMO and maintained that positive image in a time where there wasn't much positivity.

Dark times indeed. Either way, the community lives on, hopefully stronger than ever long after TMCC releases.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
I know everything can change eventually with playlist management and all that. Only one playlist for each specific game is just lame. I don't want a mix of random gametypes if I just want to play Halo 3 for example. And I don't want to have to play doubles in Halo 4 if that's going to be a 1-4 playlist.

I know it is hard to handle the playlists for 4 separate games ( and H2A) but I fear that it is going to be a mess. Plus there is the ranking system that they SHOULD be talking about now. I doubt there are going to be Social/Ranked playlists because it would just cause a Reach situation where there are just too many.

It's just disappointing.
I feel ya. I'd really like each game to at least have dedicated Team Slayer, Objective, and BTB playlists (plus Doubles for Halo CE), but I'm not sure if we'll get more than one dedicated playlist per game. 343 has been vague thus far.

Blueblur1

A few game specific playlists and game type specific playlists (or different groupings objective game types) are probably for the best. There's just way too much content to divide up into so many playlists and maintain healthy populations. I think for many folks custom games are gonna be the way to get their fill one of specific game.

That panel reassures me that Halo is in good hands. Good watch, and nice job here Frank. You handled that question well and turned what could have been a disappointment for some (hearing "infinite ammo glitch + Rocket" remaining in the game) into something we can all look forward to, especially in today's demographic of games/gamers where communication and social interaction is still on the rise.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
A few game specific playlists and game type specific playlists (or different groupings objective game types) are probably for the best. There's just way too much content to divide up into so many playlists and maintain healthy populations. I think for many folks custom games are gonna be the way to get their fill one of specific game.
#CUSTOMGAMESBROWSER2014FRANKIEPLS

Woorloog

Banned
I'd have no issues with a custom games browser if matchmaking would still offer vanilla options, and they'd be sufficiently popular.

Unfortunately with my luck, everyone would play customs only and almost no one would offer vanilla options. At least, i wouldn't be surprised if this would end up being the case. EDIT make that "with my luck, when i want to play, ie this would only happen to me"...
This was pretty much my BF3 experience on 360 post-custom servers. Now there weren't many options in BF3 for custom servers, but too often the servers had only one or two maps, ridiculous amounts of tickets (double the normal was too much already), and other stupid rules that were arbitrary ("no M16", "no shotguns"). Vanilla servers didn't exist for long, EA/Dice's official ones aside and those were few in number and full all the time.

IIRC, Halo PC servers started trending toward non-vanilla settings once Bungie's servers were taken offline. Not sure though, i don't recall really sticking around once Bungie's servers were gone. Never been a fan of non-vanilla settings in most games.

Mistel

Banned
Anyone else perpetually annoyed at the naming conventions on the Halo Wikia? It's an endless procession of list after list of NATO-esque designations for weapons, creatures, and vehicles that makes it impossible to navigate if you're not the grognardiest grognard who ever grogged a nard. One the worst-formatted wikis I've ever opened.
If it only had been done in the same intent as NATO reporting names it could of worked so well. It's a bit of a shame really.

I just hope Omega Journey + appropriate gametype is made quickly enough in Halo 3 forge.

That shit was so amazing.

EDIT: Two top of the page posts in a row. Soon enough I'll be a celebrity around here.

Sibylus

Banned
If it only had been done in the same intent as NATO reporting names it could of worked so well. It's a bit of a shame really.
Agreed. Seeing the contextual game stuff pushed so far away just confuses the entire system unless one happens to know the names of every single damned thing.

Honestly, a lot of fan-made wikis are like that. They take proper names and accuracy very seriously, to the point that it becomes difficult to actually use the damn things.

We have loads of ways to provide 60fps footage that aren't YouTube, we were simply messing with YouTube so we can add it to the pile.

Fair enough :)

Seeing the 60 fps footage at RTX blew my mind away, I knew it would look good, but I had no idea with the skybox and even the dust blowing on the map, literally gave me chills.

Mistel

Banned
Agreed. Seeing the contextual game stuff pushed so far away just confuses the entire system unless one happens to know the names of every single damned thing.
I know some of it can't do most weapons especially Promethian ones. UNSC vehicles are quite easy with their names other than the Wombat's:
They go against the name convention which is a bit of an inconvenience.

I'm a total nominal nazi so remembering things like Ultra Heavy Assault Platform and Asymmetrical Engagement Mitigator aren't a huge deal for me, but I can understand why it'd be hard to keep track of everything in-universe.

I'm still waiting to see what the naming convention behind Promethean vehicles is going to end up being. I'm hoping it's just a simple suffix, like -er or -or or -os.

I love technical names for weapons, though.

Top Bottom