• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HaloGAF |OT: Anniversary| So fades the great harvest of our betrayal.

Woorloog

Banned
Orbital... That map had one good point. Its skybox... err, spacebox? Was very nice looking.
Otherwise it was terrible map. Bungie's original plan for it seemed interesting (doors for opening and closing sections something that certainly didn't happen with the final map).
Quite possibly the worst map in Halo 3, IMO.

Ramirez

halo_combat_evolved___master_chief_vector_by_firedragonmatty-d7smsto.png

Can someone shrink this down so it fits on a iPhone screen?

Kudes to the dude who posted it, he made an awesome Destiny one as well. I'm using it on my phone currently, but a lot of it is cut off.

Havoc2049

Why it should be useless? H4 Dmr is OP. It favors camping and crossmapping..It has no downsize and it's too easy to use..H4 Dmr has no place in Halo imo..

If you camp a lot in Halo, you may not die a lot, but you won't get that many kills either. DMR's on a mid sized or large maps forces people to move more tactically and move from cover to cover and not run around in the open like an idiot (although there are still plenty of people who still do). The BR has a 2x scope with a 3 round burst and the DMR has a 3x scope single shot only. Take away the range advantage of the DMR and people will just end up using the BR. I just like the balance they have right now between the DMR and BR, as they both are solid weapons in certain situations.

Nutter

If you camp a lot in Halo, you may not die a lot, but you won't get that many kills either. DMR's on a mid sized or large maps forces people to move more tactically and move from cover to cover and not run around in the open like an idiot (although there are still plenty of people who still do). The BR has a 2x scope with a 3 round burst and the DMR has a 3x scope single shot only. Take away the range advantage of the DMR and people will just end up using the BR. I just like the balance they have right now between the DMR and BR, as they both are solid weapons in certain situations.

The same great DMR balance that completely ruins map movement on maps like Ragnarok?

Sitting on the middle hill you should not be able to ping opponents in their own base, but thanks to the DMR you can. What an amazing weapon!

BigShow36

You guys are confusing a broken weapon with broken aim assist.

The DMR doesn't work because the aim assist is too high, not because the mechanics of the weapon. There's nothing wrong with a weapon being able to cross-map and kill rapidly, the problem arises when it's too easy to do so. The BR is "broken" in the same way due to the aim assist; it's too easy to 4 shot someone.

Neither weapon is mechanically broken, but the excessive aim assits make them broken. The problem is not that the DMR has good range and shoots straight, the problem is that the game has way too much aim assist.

DMR is a little too accurate at long ranges, yeah. Maybe shorten the reach of utility weapons in general? But then you make stuff like the Sniper OP... huh. I guess the best answer would be to just buff it out of starting weapon position. As a map drop, it's not bad. Sort of a little cousin to the Sniper.

Nutter

DMR is a little too accurate at long ranges, yeah. Maybe shorten the reach of utility weapons in general? But then you make stuff like the Sniper OP... huh. I guess the best answer would be to just buff it out of starting weapon position. As a map drop, it's not bad. Sort of a little cousin to the Sniper.

WTF?

One is a power weapon, the other is not.

Yeah, but you still want there to be a way to respond to it. It should be a lot weaker, comparatively, but you don't want to give the guy with the sniper total control of his fire lanes.

If only there were a mechanic whereby a player with a short ranged weapon could meaningfully disrupt the aim of a player with a sniper rifle short of killing him... oh well, it's probably impossible.

Nutter

Yeah, but you still want there to be a way to respond to it. It should be a lot weaker, comparatively, but you don't want to give the guy with the sniper total control of his fire lanes.

Are you serious? Because that is stupid. Sniper at a distance should have control of his sight lines. No wonder Halo has gone to shit when the audience wants to dumb the game down. But ill give you another serious answer. Its called de-scoping, when shot. But you know if you play H4, you wouldn't know what a good gameplay mechanic really is so its not really your fault.

Karl2177

But certain maps and spawns certainly make it far easier to do.

The unbalanced teams is what I was getting at. It doesn't mean anything for map design, weapon balance, etc. when the teams are lopsided. There are a few exceptions to this, in the cases of clear exploits(Zealot CTF spawns, Tempest CTF spawns), but Timberland isn't one of them.

Are you serious? Because that is stupid. Sniper at a distance should have control of his sight lines. No wonder Halo has gone to shit when the audience wants to dumb the game down. But ill give you another serious answer. Its called de-scoping, when shot. But you know if you play H4, you wouldn't know what a good gameplay mechanic really is so its not really your fault.

Wow. Jackass much? I've played all the games, though I'll admit to being no great theorycrafter. Just going by some stuff I've read. You're right, de-scoping would be the best answer. But you don't have to be an asshole about it.

Nutter

Wow. Jackass much? I've played all the games, though I'll admit to being no great theorycrafter. Just going by some stuff I've read. You're right, de-scoping would be the best answer. But you don't have to be an asshole about it.

If you weren't such a scrub then perhaps, but alas.

I'd just like to point out how much better the under-suits in Halo 5 look than the ones in 4. I know the Beta trailer was prerendered but according to Frankie it used in-game assets. I have no doubt that the actual models won't look as good in the final game but it does at least give us an idea of where they are going artistically.
The gloves now resemble leather instead of the weird plasticy and honeycombed looked of the ones in Halo 4
The under-suits also appear to be mostly black with only accents of the armor color here and there.
I think this is a massive step up from Halo 4 artistically. In a perfect world the under-suits would just be black, but this is still much better than Halo 4's on multiple levels.
Hopefully they ditch the honeycombing for the under-suit completely...
I also hope they get rid of the honeycombing on the visors as well, it really bothers me. I'd prefer it if the honeycombing was only on Covie stuff.

You know what? You're right. I am a scrub. I've always played Halo in a purely casual sense, never really wanting to get any real understanding that would let me up my game. But I've decided I'd like to try to learn more, to become a better player. Hell, it's part of why I started hanging out here in the first place. So maybe cut me some slack while I try to catch up.

I'd just like to point out how much better the under-suits in Halo 5 look than the ones in 4. I know the Beta trailer was prerendered but according to Frankie it used in-game assets. I have no doubt that the actual models won't look as good in the final game but it does at least give us an idea of where they are going artistically.

The gloves now resemble leather instead of the weird plasticy and honeycombed looked of the ones in Halo 4

The under-suits also appear to be mostly black with only accents of the armor color here and there.

I think this is a massive step up from Halo 4 artistically. In a perfect world the under-suits would just be black, but this is still much better than Halo 4's on multiple levels.
I also hope they get rid of the honeycombing on the visors as well, it really bothers me. I'd prefer it if the honeycombing was only on Covie stuff.

Agreed. The super-prominent nature of the undersuits in 4 was a big part of why so many armors looked bad. Bringing them back to being matte and relatively untextured is a big step in the right direction. I do like the subtle honeycombing on stuff like the visor, though.

Agreed. The super-prominent nature of the undersuits in 4 was a big part of why so many armors looked bad. Bringing them back to being matte and relatively untextured is a big step in the right direction. I do like the subtle honeycombing on stuff like the visor, though.

Hopefully if they don't get rid of the honeycombing on the under-suits they at least try to make the material look better, I think the cinematic model for Chief in 4 is a good reference point.
Just make it darker and reduce the shine.

Madness

BigShow makes a good point in that it could be the bullet magnetism and aim assist that makes the DMR problematic. I mean even someone who just picks up and okays halo could get cross map headshots with the weapon.

But then again, the 3x scope is also somewhat high. Someone showed a few pics one time that the reticle could fire accurately almost across 90% of every map. That's something I think only the sniper should be able to do.

I would love the DMR back for halo 5, with slightly lowered aim assist, maybe a 2x/2.5x scope, and comparable kill times to the BR. I just love the single shot firing. Karl made a good point of making it an on map pickup weapon as well. When everyone has DMR on spawn and you play a map like Valhalla or Hemorrhage, you just knew the game would be a cross map dongfest on anyone even remotely in the open.

JonCha

BigShow makes a good point in that it could be the bullet magnetism and aim assist that makes the DMR problematic. I mean even someone who just picks up and okays halo could get cross map headshots with the weapon.

But then again, the 3x scope is also somewhat high. Someone showed a few pics one time that the reticle could fire accurately almost across 90% of every map. That's something I think only the sniper should be able to do.

I would love the DMR back for halo 5, with slightly lowered aim assist, maybe a 2x/2.5x scope, and comparable kill times to the BR. I just love the single shot firing. Karl made a good point of making it an on map pickup weapon as well. When everyone has DMR on spawn and you play a map like Valhalla or Hemorrhage, you just knew the game would be a cross map dongfest on anyone even remotely in the open.

Well with armour abilities are gone in Halo 5 it'll be interesting to see if loadouts are going too. That'll mean more map pick-ups. I agree DMR should be a pick-up - either AR or BR starts IMO.

jem0208

Woah, what's the point of being such an asshole?

This is what makes gaming communities seem so fucking awful. There's no point alienating more casual players by being such a dick. It only serves to make the community worse and discourages new players from interacting with the rest of the community.

In short, if you're going to be a dick you can fuck off.

Woorloog

Banned
Halo weapons can be categorized to three categories: Power weapons, like snipers, rockets and other high power weapons. Specialized weapons, like AR, Plasma Rifle, that are good at their dedicated jobs but otherwise pretty useless (some overlap with power weapons, and depend on the game too).
And utility weapons, the all around weapons, like the DMR, BR. The point of utility weapons is to be soft counter to most others, like against the sniper. Perhaps you cannot kill him with a BR/Pistol/whatever but you can harass him and prevent him from firing at you. Without utility weapons, power weapons like the sniper would dominate the game way too much. Power weapons are not meant to dominate the game! Unfortunately Reach and Halo 4 are far too generous with power weapons not to mention having them to be perhaps too powerful (consider the sniper's ability to destroy vehicles...).

EDIT consider Halo CE, where the pistol's power and range prevented the sniper from dominating at range, perhaps even killing the sniper due to its power (unlike the BR in Halo 3, which can ping but not kill at long range due to the ridiculous spread). This has always been a thing in Halos.

Also, Halo 4 and Forge maps in matchmaking. Are most of those based on the Forge Island or some other? Because i'm thinking i will delete my Forge Island IF they're based on it. Forge maps are practically always unplayable in splitscreen so i'd rather not even get them as voting options...

I actually really like the honey combed look, it looks spacey and futuristic, and important to the purpose of the armor. I never really got why the original bodysuits just looked like leather with some metal plates on it, it didn't look like it was made to enhance the users capabilities at all, but the honey combed look with the extra bits look like out houses things important to the Spartan like biofoam or the neural interface. I also really love the honey combed look on the visor, it looks like it can hold some futuristic space pixels or something.

The black suit is supposed to be an armor rather than a suit then it looked wierd how the armor was just floating on the black layer giving the impression the black layer is just a suit and the armor are just not working with the black layer giving the impression it was to big for the user or just looks like it was missing pieces.

chief.gif

I like it how Locke have a fusion between the armor and the black layer to be in the same layer of armor,not pieces or armor flying around to make it feels the armor is bigger than him and his design nailed it a proper natural cohesion of armor.

468px-Who.jpg

I have no idea what people are even talking about

Titanium Nanocomposite Bodysuit: Sandwiched between the external armor and the internal padding is a thick black armored bodysuit. This suit has numerous functions, small but vital to the safety and survival of the wearer. The bodysuit is made of a titanium-based material, making it very strong and yet very flexible. It also serves as another layer of protection against ballistics attacks and is coated with a heat resistant material to disperse heat from Plasma weapons.

This is always what the under armor/suit was. It has always looked like a black body suit.

Blueblur1

I agree on all counts. Its like you read my mind.

The black suit is supposed to be an armor rather than a suit then it looked wierd how the armor was just floating on the black layer giving the impression the black layer is just a suit and the armor are just not working with the black layer giving the impression it was to big for the user or just looks like it was missing pieces.

chief.gif

I like it how Locke have a fusion between the armor and the black layer to be in the same layer of armor,not pieces or armor flying around to make it feels the armor is bigger than him and his design nailed it a proper natural cohesion of armor.

468px-Who.jpg

I'm sorry, but I'm having a hard time understanding what you are saying, I think you are trying to say that the undersuit is not an undersuit and that the armor is part of it? If so that isn't true.
"Titanium nanocomposite bodysuit:

The MJOLNIR Mark VI's nanocomposite bodysuit.
Sandwiched between the external armor and the internal padding is a thick black armored bodysuit. This suit has numerous functions, small but vital to the safety and survival of the wearer. The bodysuit is made of a titanium-based material, making it very strong and yet very flexible. It also serves as another layer of protection against ballistics attacks and is coated with a heat resistant material to disperse heat from plasma weapons."

The colored armor attaches to the bodysuit.
I always thought this art work for CEA nailed the body suit.
It looks like the right combination of earthly material and scifi as well as flexible but protective.
I'm also a fan of the gloves looking leathery, Reach did that too.
Also I really wish they would change the waist armor, Reach had the perfect design that got rid of the space diaper but still armored that area.

Top Bottom