• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HaloGAF |OT: Anniversary| So fades the great harvest of our betrayal.

Hey guys I need some advice. I decided to get back into Halo 4 again after a long absence. I bought Halo 4 GOTY edition because I wanted all the new maps. The problem is the new maps hardly ever appear in matchmaking. I'm not sure if they even appear at all.

Please don't tell that the new map DLC was so unsuccessful in sales that it is virtually impossible to play the new maps. If this is the case the new maps should be free and mandatory to play Halo 4.

It's basically impossible to get most DLC maps. I doubt they're going to unlock them, though. More incentive to upgrade to X1 and HMCC.

Mistel

Banned
Hey guys I need some advice. I decided to get back into Halo 4 again after a long absence. I bought Halo 4 GOTY edition because I wanted all the new maps. The problem is the new maps hardly ever appear in matchmaking. I'm not sure if they even appear at all.
You will most likely never see any of the maps in matchmaking as few have the dlc. If any do show up it will most likely be the first map pack ones if you ever get into a match with people who have the dlc.

Ding ding ding!
It's basically impossible to get most DLC maps. I doubt they're going to unlock them, though. More incentive to upgrade to X1 and HMCC.
You will most likely never see any of the maps in matchmaking as few have the dlc. If any do show up it will most likely be the first map pack ones if you ever get into a match with people who have the dlc.

Well Microsoft you screwed me. But let's be honest you've been looking so incompetent lately you probably don't even realize you screwed me.

Is there any reasonable way to have maps show up more often for people without making the map packs themselves free and mandatory? (because I can't see that ever happening again like in the Halo 2 days)

Really though they should just be free and the extended content should be monetized in a different and better way...

FyreWulff

Is there any reasonable way to have maps show up more often for people without making the map packs themselves free and mandatory? (because I can't see that ever happening again like in the Halo 2 days)

Really though they should just be free and the extended content should be monetized in a different and better way...

If Halo 4 uses Reach's matchmaking core, it's possible to weight DLC matching really high for a playlist, but it tanks search times

Please don't tell that the new map DLC was so unsuccessful in sales that it is virtually impossible to play the new maps. If this is the case the new maps should be free and mandatory to play Halo 4.

You need a full group with dlc to make them appear but still the matchmaking usually tends to put one DLC map and two vanilla maps most of the times even with full party and even worse mayority votes for vanilla maps since the dlc maps are bad.

Free dont make them appear often if the playlist favores the default ones, I am not sure how COD implement the match making but when recent DLC come out in COD the matchmaking tries to make them appear first than the default maps in every playlist outside the DLC playlist.

jem0208

Free map packs.

Weapon skins and armour pieces as micro transactions.

That would be fine for me.

Obscured

Well a good team moves as a group due to advantages it offers. So yeah, you have to make splitting up advantageous. So... good map design, good weapon placement are vital.
No comment on your suggestion though, i play Team Slayer and CTF and Assault, everything else can go to hell for all i care. EDIT well done Territories works too. You know, Conquest-like. Not the shit we got in Halo 3. 3-Plots is the good one i think?

What is the difference between 3-plots and Territories? Seems like no one ever plays those gametypes so I haven't played enough of either for them to stick out to me.

I think a 5 type dominion game where there are three points to capture and two others that provide weapon or vehicle drops that are in different spots could be interesting. So then you have some incentive to move around, but you don't get bonuses just for camping your base. Obviously fun and success would be driven a lot by how the map is laid out.

I think one thing that is difficult about halo gametypes is that it has been around for so long that if it isn't what is known it doesn't get played enough to become refined or improved, it just gets dropped, because it's not 'halo'. Some also require a team to really get the feel, so just jumping in isn't going to go well.

Mistel

Banned
What is the difference between 3-plots and Territories? Seems like no one ever plays those gametypes so I haven't played enough of either for them to stick out to me.
3 plots has 3 territories you need three minutes worth of time in them to win but you can wander off them and not loose them once captured and go get the others. That's the only difference I can remember.

Kibbles

It says it's not coming to the US :( I was going to see if they ship overseas but the game will be PAL not NTSC right? bahhh

Obscured

3 plots has 3 territories you need three minutes worth of time in them to win but you can wander off them and not loose them once captured and go get the others. That's the only difference I can remember.

Ah right, where as in territories you had to sit there to accumulate time. Thanks for the reminder.

Also always wondered why a VIP gametype never seemed to work. Or like a team based juggernaut, although Reach did have that one gametype where you caught on fire and did more damage the higher your streak.

Ghazi

Microsoft is an American company, Britain is not American.

This is how Microsoft rewards Americans for fighting off the British and taking the country back, by giving them a special steelbook we can't have.

Thanks, Microsoft.

Thanks, Obama.

Thanks, HGS.

Mistel

Banned
Ooh a steelbook case I'll probably grab one of those if I get a console before that. An excuse to go shopping I suppose.

Team shooting is only an issue if you don't provide enough incentive for people to split up, and that's just a question of building the maps/game types right, isn't it? Something like Destiny's control with some features of Dominion sprinkled in (rewarding captures with auto-turrets and vehicles)*, so teams that stay clumped up are put at a greater disadvantage.

Just a thought, don't crucify me!
bring back the Locust.
Give the Mantis a weak spot on the back side, so that infantry can take it down with good aim and planning.

There are good ideas.

For a Cobra (Halo Wars vehicle), I'd like for it to go first person when locking it down. You have to charge the shot for a few seconds before it shoots, so you can station one outside your base and leave it there if anyone wants to be a defender on the team.
And it's better than putting Shotguns with an abundance of ammo outside of Blood Gulch/Coagulation bases, IMO.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
jBWe9.gif

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Gamestop-branded fully functional MJOLNIR armor pre-order bonus or no sale.

I wont doubt the steelbook will make it to america

Microsoft is an American company, Britain is not American.

This is how Microsoft rewards Americans for fighting off the British and taking the country back, by giving them a special steelbook we can't have.

Thanks, Microsoft.

Thanks, Obama.

Thanks, HGS.

RIP our native american brothers in the north.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
It would kill you, reaction times aren't up to snuff brah
Okay. A lifetime worth of intense military training, experimental physical augmentation, and Gamestop-branded fully functional MJOLNIR armor pre-order bonus or no sale.

Edit : Shiki, go back to your last avatar. It was awesome. :)

Dub117

Okay. A lifetime worth of intense military training, experimental physical augmentation, and Gamestop-branded fully functional MJOLNIR armor pre-order bonus or no sale.

Edit : Shiki, go back to your last avatar. It was awesome. :)
Take my money!

American Collector's Edition comes with a red, white and blue steelbook, a voucher for six pints of Master Chief Collection GameFuel and 117 cubic oz. of Doritos, a fully-functioning Assault Rifle and a domesticated Bald Eagle.

MaGlock

American Collector's Edition comes with a red, white and blue steelbook, a voucher for six pints of Master Chief Collection GameFuel and 117 cubic oz. of Doritos, a fully-functioning Assault Rifle and a domesticated Bald Eagle.

Sweet mother of god. Somebody get this man a new contract, I'd buy two of these.

Omni

Box art is awful

They have four Halo games here. Each of them offer so much in regards to art. So why is slapping a big picture of MC's least iconic helmet on the box the best that they can do?

Very disappointing, IMO.

Woorloog

Banned
Box art is awful

They have four Halo games here. Each of them offer so much in regards to art. So why is slapping a big picture of MC's least iconic helmet on the box the best that they can do?

Very disappointing, IMO.

They should gone for the style used in Star Wars posters:
A Halo in the background. Spaceships, UNSC Frigates, Cruisers and Longswords flying on one side, Covie ships in some other place. Characters: The Chief, Cortana, the Arbiter, Prophets, others?

EDIT Mass Effect 1 has one of the best box arts there is, due to using this style.

blamite

They should gone for the style used in Star Wars posters:
A Halo in the background. Spaceships, UNSC Frigates, Cruisers and Longswords flying on one side, Covie ships in some other place. Characters: The Chief, Cortana, the Arbiter, Prophets, others?

EDIT Mass Effect 1 has one of the best box arts there is, due to using this style.

Good_Bye_Sweetheart.jpg

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics
OT, but the audio for the Avengers Age of Ultron teaser from comic con released. http://youtu.be/yIfaNRMIFO0

The things Ultron says in addition to the twisted take on the Pinocchio "I've got strings" song make me think Ultron's going to be one demonic villain in Avengers 2.

Woorloog

Banned
I don't see the appeal of the Star Wars "floating head syndrome" aesthetic.

What would be good then?

I cannot recall a cover art i really liked since Mass Effect 1's cover. Not counting limited edition covers (often very mixed bag), nor minimalistic ones like Skyrim has.
And before ME1's cover, i think my favorite cover was KOTOR's cover. Also Star Wars style.
Classic C&C covers were nice. The MCC's cover is kind like a butchered version of such...

There's just something that looks so great about the poster/cover style Star Wars uses. Though there have been some i don't like that much. It is easy to make a mess of one.

What would be good then?

I cannot recall a cover art i really liked since Mass Effect 1's cover. Not counting limited edition covers (often very mixed bag), nor minimalistic ones like Skyrim has.
And before ME1's cover, i think my favorite cover was KOTOR's cover. Also Star Wars style.
Classic C&C covers were nice. The MCC's cover is kind like a butchered version of such...

There's just something that looks so great about the poster/cover style Star Wars uses. Though there have been some i don't like that much. It is easy to make a mess of one.

I don't mind the Master Chief Collection cover. I'd hope that Halo 5 switches to something a little more minimalist in contrast to how detailed Halo 4's was, though.

Top Bottom