• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HaloGAF |OT: Anniversary| So fades the great harvest of our betrayal.

Relevant to the MCC Freedom Bundle discussed yesterday:

5yZc4Jg.jpg

m23

So they're basically lying when they answer questions now? They clearly denied any sort of collectors or limited editions during the Comic-Con Q&A, so where did this limited edition steelbook, art book come from? Or is this MS marketing deciding and 343 didn't know?

I don't think its an official collectors edition, seems to be something put together by the retailer.

ElRenoRaven

While the game did lack good character development, it had a great mood and direction to it. Levels were designed well for the most part, too.

I actually liked the character development. Look at Halo. The first Halo game did not have a lot of character development in it either. Now had they not pretty much killed everyone off a Reach 2 could have expanded on them. I thought though for what we got they were interesting. The only one I found a bit bland really was the player. He really had no character to him at all which is sad. Maybe giving him an AI companion or something would have helped him be more interesting. The supporting cast though I did like.

I actually liked the character development. Look at Halo. The first Halo game did not have a lot of character development in it either. Now had they not pretty much killed everyone off a Reach 2 could have expanded on them. I thought though for what we got they were interesting. The only one I found a bit bland really was the player. He really had no character to him at all which is sad. Maybe giving him an AI companion or something would have helped him be more interesting. The supporting cast though I did like.
That is true how not many Halo games have good character development, save ODST and Halo 4 (in my opinion). Although now that I think about it, some Reach characters actually had their moments, such as Jorge and the girl, Emile in New Alexandria, Carter in the Pelican, and Kat when confronting Halsey. Other than that, though, it was bland. Although Reach, if you consider the planet as a character, was brilliantly done.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
I've never liked the Reach campaign much. There's very few moments I'm ever interested in replaying. Same with Halo 2. My favorite campaigns are easily Halo CE and ODST, with large parts of Halo 3 being really great, too. Halo 4 is probably at the bottom of the list, but by no means terrible.

Edit : And I'm talking about gameplay, not story. My rankings would be very different if I'm grading by story.

I really like the Reach campaign, but nothing beats CE simply because it's weapon sandbox and combat loop is just better than the other games.

ElRenoRaven

Isn't Six like the Rookie then in terms of characterisation?

Yea but still he could have been interesting. Even the guy delivering his dialog came off a bit uninterested. Also they mention he had a pretty extensive history it seemed. That's one of the things they missed out on. I'd have loved to learn more about his past. They hint to some things in it like the Saber program and how he was a part of that. They never follow that up though. I'd really have kind of liked a Reach 2 that went more in depth on that stuff but of course with everyone dead that would be kind of hard. Also there is the whole Halo thing lol. Maybe a side series or something had more of them lived.

Nebula

I was reminiscing with an old friend about Halo 3 when I went to visit him over the past few days. MCC might just reignite the glory days. Still don't want to go near Halo 4 though.

uwdanman

Neo Member
Please excuse me if this has been discussed already (couldn't find it with search) but this tidbit from Polygon's story caught my attention:

To support matchmaking with so many maps available, Ries said The Master Chief Collection will keep track of players' favorite game types, and pair them with other individuals who also prefer those types. Then, the maps that feature, or better support, that type will be cycled to the top of the voting screen for party members to choose.

Source: http://www.polygon.com/2014/7/25/5938225/halo-master-chief-collection-release-date-multiplayer-glitches

I wonder how this will be implemented, or in which playlists it will be implemented. Or say if a player likes Halo 1 Damnation and consistently votes for it if he/she will find themselves in more lobbies voting on Halo 1 maps with similar minded players (either that or find themselves consistently voting for purple themed maps...)

Please excuse me if this has been discussed already (couldn't find it with search) but this tidbit from Polygon's story caught my attention:

Source: http://www.polygon.com/2014/7/25/5938225/halo-master-chief-collection-release-date-multiplayer-glitches

I wonder how this will be implemented, or in which playlists it will be implemented. Or say if a player likes Halo 1 Damnation and consistently votes for it if he/she will find themselves in more lobbies voting on Halo 1 maps with similar minded players (either that or find themselves consistently voting for purple themed maps...)

Hmmmm... interesting. If it works (and it doesn't shoot matchmaking times through the roof), it could be a very good way of handling the hopper issues people have been talking about. Smart hoppers, in a way.

Of course, it could end up backfiring in any of a dozen ways. Still, cool idea.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member

Huh, that sounds like it could be cool. I'm really curious about how they're implementing it, though.

Mistel

Banned
Space diapers or exposed under suit is acceptably appealing.

Armor backside plates do look odd in 4.
They should do that in 5 but I doubt they will actually. They just look so out of place on the armor itself. It's really noticeable in the third person view as well.

Computron

Do new screenshots and file share uploads in olde halo games still go to a website? Like Bungie.net or maybe a 343 alternative?

I wonder what MCC will have in that respect. I also wonder whether theatre mode will get any hooks with GameDVR?

Fuchsdh

Do new screenshots and file share uploads in olde halo games still go to a website? Like Bungie.net or maybe a 343 alternative?

I wonder what MCC will have in that respect. I also wonder whether theatre mode will get any hooks with GameDVR?

That's a good point. Reach and 4 stuff is obviously taken care of, but I dunno about the legacy stuff.

Would be awesome for Microsoft to take the opportunity to overhaul their stats and Waypoint experience and make it a much more social experience. Bungie was ahead of the curve for consoles back in 2007 but now the world has changed and we have become bastards entitled to a certain quality experience.

Computron

I was testing out some SFM and 3D Photogrametry/Scanning software packages.

I had a bunch of high-res screenshots of Ascension lying around, free of any annoying lens distortion that would need to be corrected, so I used 'em and got a 3d point cloud reconstruction of Ascension:

knRL625.png

This one took 85 screenshots (The image plane for each screenshot is shown as a blue rectangle if you haven't guessed yet.)

This might be nice for online/in-browser Forge Map previewing since the mesh that is generated from this can be uploaded to a WebGL 3D previewing site like sketchfab:

(Click to view in 3D on your browser or phone)

Note: This is with relatively few photos and the fastest processing settings. The results can resolve with much higher quality given more attention and processing time. I didn't bother to cut
out false points like the fog surrounding some of the meshes. It's still decent results for essentially no work, just take screenshots, mark points of interest and have it process a mesh.​

You can even annotate places of interest like I have in the model above. (click the floaty numbers or use the bottom right navigation arrows to flip through all of them) Things like weapon spawns with descriptions of timers would be a natural fit.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Considering the beta is coming in about 4 1/2 months, I think it would be about time to hear at least something about it.
Ehh, I don't know. I think they'll reveal just enough beta information to increase the perceived value of the MCC. I wouldn't expect a huge information blow out till right after the MCC is out.

Fuchsdh

Not to mention that releasing a beta a year out means that the beta is an *actual* beta, not this "stress test and polish" stuff we've been getting the last few years from many companies. I don't think they'll have a lot to actually show until they get to whatever they're going to push out to us.

El_Chino

I was testing out some SFM and 3D Photogrametry/Scanning software packages.

I had a bunch of high-res screenshots of Ascension lying around, free of any annoying lens distortion that would need to be corrected, so I used 'em and got a 3d point cloud reconstruction of Ascension:

knRL625.png

This one took 85 screenshots (The image plane for each screenshot is shown as a blue rectangle if you haven't guessed yet.)

This might be nice for online/in-browser Forge Map previewing since the mesh that is generated from this can be uploaded to a WebGL 3D previewing site like sketchfab:

(Click to view in 3D on your browser or phone)

Note: This is with relatively few photos and the fastest processing settings. The results can resolve with much higher quality given more attention and processing time. I didn't bother to cut
out false points like the fog surrounding some of the meshes. It's still decent results for essentially no work, just take screenshots, mark points of interest and have it process a mesh.​

You can even annotate places of interest like I have in the model above. (click the floaty numbers or use the bottom right navigation arrows to flip through all of them) Things like weapon spawns with descriptions of timers would be a natural fit.
Great stuff man.

If anyone from 343 can answer this that would be cool, but are we going to see Halo 5 as well as MCC at Gamescom?

My money's on yes. They've been teasing Halo like mad for Gamescom (which could of course just be MCC stuff), but then there's this image (which I can't find right now, sadly) of some art depicting a pistol, a plasma sword, and an unfamiliar looking take on the AR. Could be nothing, could be significant. Ve shall see, a ha ha.

So twitch now has music copyright ID, and now my speedruns of h3 are getting flagged from in game music. So in my legendary PB there is 30mins of no audio.

Nowise10

I'm super excited to see more footage, specially of full matches. I hope we get to see the gungoose.

Still not that pumped about speedboost being added into the game, but atleast you cant just call it down anymore and whatnot. Unless Infinity slayer is one of those "many more returning gametypes".

Top Bottom