• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HaloGAF |OT: Anniversary| So fades the great harvest of our betrayal.

uwdanman

Neo Member
Wow, so they're putting $10,000 on the line with their own eSports tournament? They're also showing the next Halo 2 Anniversary map. I would think its going to be Lockout or another 4v4 centric map with the 4v4 tournament going on. I mean, they can't play 4v4 ascension the entire 4 days!

Putting this cash up front, the eSports community has got to be even more hyped for the upcoming year and hopes for Halo 5.

El_Chino

pg4DF4I.png

Crazy
Hang on tight gentleman. We're in for a wild fall.

Nowise10

Bring backing infinity is a bit of a canary in the coal mine. I don't see why they would want to bring it back outside of 4.

Well Halo 2 Anniversary uses Halo 4's engine, so its not like it'd be a challenge, as its already their, thus how ricochet, race, forge, ect are all possible in Halo 2 Anniversary.

Though both games have different weapons, so it might not be possible without changing some sort of code, which I doubt they would do for Infinity.

Considering the beta is coming in about 4 1/2 months, I think it would be about time to hear at least something about it.

Not really, we didn't see the Reach beta until about 2 months before it came out and that was for a game we had already seen. I seriously think they will focus entirely on TMCC until after launch, remember we are getting this beta super early and the game likely isn't coming out until September-November.

Dub117

Not really, we didn't see the Reach beta until about 2 months before it came out and that was for a game we had already seen. I seriously think they will focus entirely on TMCC until after launch, remember we are getting this beta super early and the game likely isn't coming out until September-November.
I agree, we will see some stuff, probably early December or something, but this beta is way early. (Good thing in my opinion.) So I think it will just speak for itself, get the changes to be made out in front of the programmers, and make it an awesome game next year. I really, really, really like what 343 is doing with the H5 beta. I am super amped.

Edit: seeing the way they are doing this beta so early honestly gives me a lot of hope for H5. Not to mention the MCC and HCE online, I have an abundance of excitement at this point. /fanboy

IHaveIce

Banned
So the Gamescom tourney basically confirms LAN support right? No way they are playing on a shitty event wireless connection

So the Gamescom tourney basically confirms LAN support right? No way they are playing on a shitty event wireless connection

Games do that at events more than you think. How do you think they have games like Battlefield playable at E3? Titanfall was also playable at shows.

@Computron - Wouldn't the map models/objects originally be created in 3DSMAX or similar and therefore exportable to WebGL? Just texture import/mapping and done. Likely a fair amount of that would be cohesive in MAX as well so probably not that bad to export again.

I also recall some javascript libraries that convert 3DS files to WebGL/HTML5. It could save a ton of time and be a far more accurate and clean model of the map structures. I think Maya has a plugin for rendering to WebGL natively as well.

I'm not sure of the tools in use over at 343i but I think Bungie predominantly used MAX for models and Maya for animations from memory.

@Computron - Wouldn't the map models/objects originally be created in 3DSMAX or similar and therefore exportable to WebGL? Just texture import/mapping and done. Likely a fair amount of that would be cohesive in MAX as well so probably not that bad to export again.

I also recall some javascript libraries that convert 3DS files to WebGL/HTML5. It could save a ton of time and be a far more accurate and clean model of the map structures. I think Maya has a plugin for rendering to WebGL natively as well.

I'm not sure of the tools in use over at 343i but I think Bungie predominantly used MAX for models and Maya for animations from memory.

+ Grognok.

Sure, if you had the 3D files you could export them to whatever you wanted. Thing is they don't give us the 3D files :p

Madness

What if the game play of Halo 5 Guardians is shit and we have one month to play and be salty about it? They are taking a huge risk by allowing us to play, because if it sucks, it'll solidify the game will be crap 9 months before it even launches no?

I mean imagine if they gave us one month of infinity slayer in say 4 months before halo 4 launch, how many of you would have bought the game after a month of playing? Bought the consoles etc.

Hopefully, it's actually really fun and gets people excited for the future. Can't wait to see what they've got planned.

Nowise10

What if the game play of Halo 5 Guardians is shit and we have one month to play and be salty about it? They are taking a huge risk by allowing us to play, because if it sucks, it'll solidify the game will be crap 9 months before it even launches no?

I mean imagine if they gave us one month of infinity slayer in say 4 months before halo 4 launch, how many of you would have bought the game after a month of playing? Bought the consoles etc.

Hopefully, it's actually really fun and gets people excited for the future. Can't wait to see what they've got planned.

Its possible, but I would hope 343 is confident they created and have a good game on their hands. I think people should realize it will likely be a real beta, with bugs, unfinished textures, sounds, and all of that, considering its near a year before launch.

The beta could turn on a lot of people, or off.

Omni

Think my 360's disc drive is dying. Keep getting read disc errors while starting up games. Even if it's installed on the HDD... gah

Not even sure if it'll be worth buying a new one with the Halo pack coming out when it does. Hmmm

+ Grognok.

Sure, if you had the 3D files you could export them to whatever you wanted. Thing is they don't give us the 3D files :p

Yeah I'm always interested about the in house tools game and film developers use e.g. ILM's Puppeteer or Bungie's Grognok. Although wasn't Grognok for Destiny?

I'd also go for the Halo 3 Bungie approach that used screenshots from different perspectives with heatmap overlays and such. If we're talking about a Waypoint website or app feature.

Think my 360's disc drive is dying. Keep getting read disc errors while starting up games. Even if it's installed on the HDD... gah

Not even sure if it'll be worth buying a new one with the Halo pack coming out when it does. Hmmm

Cheap out of warranty fix is to buy a 360 drive from eBay or second hand store pick up and just swap the drive out using a star screwdriver. I would recommend replacing your drive with the same model as they've had a few different brands/models over the years, see this for help about that. Some models were more reliable that others too. Also you should be comfortable with firmware updates and the like IMO.

Yeah I'm always interested about the in house tools game and film developers use e.g. ILM's Puppeteer or Bungie's Grognok. Although wasn't Grognok for Destiny?

IIRC they've been using Grognok for a while, probably Reach era? They must pour a lot of money into them for sure.

I'd also go for the Halo 3 Bungie approach that used screenshots from different perspectives with heatmap overlays and such. If we're talking about a Waypoint website or app feature.

What would be amazingly fantastic (though unfortunately extremely unlikely) would be a full fledged REST API for game statistics, right down to the who-killed-whom-from-where-to-where-with-what-when™ level. That data, coupled with some basic 3D models of maps would allow developers to make theatre-like or even spectator-like (would probably require a socket based, streaming API) software.

One step down would be dropping to 2D, top-down with multiple levels where appropriate. Same data but obviously with images assets instead. We could create our own custom heatmaps, and play around with all kinds of information visualisation.

I can dream, right?

Madness

Its possible, but I would hope 343 is confident they created and have a good game on their hands. I think people should realize it will likely be a real beta, with bugs, unfinished textures, sounds, and all of that, considering its near a year before launch.

The beta could turn on a lot of people, or off.

Oh I don't mean the bugs and the texture work, just the actual game play. I mean what if it's just not fun and actually works against them in creating tons of negativity for Halo 5 upto launch? But I'm glad it's one month, enough time to play the hell out of what they have, exploit as much as possible, and see what is broken or overpowered.

This twitch content ID thing is so stupid. I thought 343 said a while ago that the ingame music on the halo games shouldn't be matching up?

Basically every one of my twitch VOD's has been muted from doing full game speedruns of halo 3.

Nirvana

This twitch content ID thing is so stupid. I thought 343 said a while ago that the ingame music on the halo games shouldn't be matching up?

Basically every one of my twitch VOD's has been muted from doing full game speedruns of halo 3.

The whole thing is terrible. Google ruined Youtube and now Youtube is ruining Twitch, I really hope this isn't leading down a bad path as far as all internet services are concerned. Soon we'll be paying to use Google.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State

Then they have 9 months to fix it. But from what 343 has been saying since Halo 4, it sounds like they learned their lesson and learned a lot. I think Halo 5 will still have a bit of the Halo 4 stuff, but it won't be the centerpiece. Infinity is fine if it's in an action sack style playlist, etc.

FyreWulff

My Reach runs are sporadically muted as well

edit: FALSE ALARM - the one that got muted were the ones where I played Blitz at the end

Not necessarily. Bungie's E3 booth wasn't running on a LAN - all 96 machines were connected to the normal Destiny servers back at Bungie HQ. Our internet connection worked just fine.

People that came to the booth for multiplayer were basically dumped into matchmaking - though the build was purposely isolated so that they would only get matched with other E3 attendees and not anyone already playing the Alpha at home.

Havoc2049

Time to catch up on my Forerunner, Didact, Librarian, etc. lore. To be honest, the subject seems kinda dry and I felt I would be falling asleep trying to read through them, so I figured I would go with the audio books and listen to them while I drive around. About half way through the first book and it isn't that bad so far.

WP_20140723_002_zps97432efd.jpg

Time to catch up on my Forerunner, Didact, Librarian, etc. lore. To be honest, the subject seems kinda dry and I felt I would be falling asleep trying to read through them, so I figured I would go with the audio books and listen to them while I drive around. About half way through the first book and it isn't that bad so far.

WP_20140723_002_zps97432efd.jpg

That's because the first book is the good one.

Fuchsdh

That's because the first book is the good one.

The third one is excellent as well. The second one isn't bad, but in the grand scheme of things I dunno what the point of spending so much time with Riser was. Those characters didn't do anything but show up at the end.

Kibbles

Hadn't realized this was a thing, way to fuck everything up Google.

TCKaos

That and the VOD length from here on out is only two hours, meaning that some of the lengthier speedruns can't be saved as VODs.

Top Bottom