• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HaloGAF |OT: Anniversary| So fades the great harvest of our betrayal.

Yeah I like to idealise and dream about dedi's as like a LAN online utopia but I know deep down that's not the reality. At the very least, no one player will have host advantage now. I seem to remember MS saying they have billions of servers, no? If playing trans-continental maybe a server that was equidistant between the players... but then would the connection be equally mediocre for all the players? I'll be honest, I have no experience of dedi's at all so I'm not quite sure what to expect.

Well, ideally, the server (or more accurately, server farm) will be located such to give the *most equal* experience for the largest number of players in the match, not necessarily the best experience. Like I said, dedis can be done well (give us a damn server browser...) but in my experience this gen, matchmaking systems that choose the server for you are very hit and miss. I mentioned Titanfall. If I go in alone, I only match other players on the West Coast and the ping is like 30ms at the worst. If I go in with friends in other parts of the US, either me or my friends will have a terrible ping because we're not on our "native" dedis, as it were. This is also using Azure, it should be noted.

Like I said though, it'll be interesting to see how 343 addresses these issues, especially if there are no server browsers.

Dedis won't get rid of that advantage in either direction really. It all just depends which side of the ocean the server resides on, assuming matchmaking will match cross-region. Preferably not. For the dedis to make the real difference, same-continent matchmaking is preferable as a minimum. It'll be interesting to see how they handle parties with people in different geographical areas.

Titanfall PC does a fucking horrible job at it, let's hope 343 does better.

Totally agree, unless 343i cap the region search to local region, the game will have lag and blackscreens.

Mexico is still playing Halo 2 in droves right? They are gonna dominate.

funny-gifs-el-power-rangers.gif

Madness

I played more than half of reach pretty drunk on legendary right out of the box. It was hard, but it wasn't bad.

It sucked for me. I beat the game on heroic first and then got all the way to the level where you start off with a scorpion, think it's the Package. And then afterI beat that, the next day, all my progress vanished. I could only see Winter Contingency. Even though I had all the heroic achievements, all the legendary ones upto that point. It was as if I never beat the game at all. And yet my save was fine. It happened to a few others as well. But I just stopped playing Reach campaign altogether after that.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Frank just destroyed Bravo in H2. There were crazy mind games going on, I've never seen anything like it.

FyreWulff

Fyre, you doing a "Halo CE" suggestions post on your website?
for more than asking for playable elites

Halo CE has some problems that could be fixed without hurting the classic feel.

180 glitch
infinite ammo
power up sharing

Yeah, I could, even though it's like hitting a bee hive with a stick.

Fuchsdh

Keep forgetting to post this...

I often miss a lot of posts on here so if you ever have something news worthy or want to share content that you have created (Wahrer) be sure to pm me so I can front page it on HBO.

Why Wu gave the keys to this man, I'll never know :p

Sorry, was down to play Halo and then the SO demanded we watch a movie. "Safety Not Guaranteed" isn't a bad film btw.

Keep forgetting to post this...

I often miss a lot of posts on here so if you ever have something news worthy or want to share content that you have created (Wahrer) be sure to pm me so I can front page it on HBO.

I'll usually just post it to the HBO forums, lol.

Computron

Just got myself one of these XBONE+Kinect thingies for $399 at microcenter. $100 off.

M4zx0PX.png

No games or accessories or even Live. Looking at the xbone games wiki list it seems like the only interesting games out are multiplatform, and way better on my PC.

Now, I guess i'll grab the controller for my PC and put the rest in my closet until Destiny Beta. Unless there's some cool arcade games out on the marketplace...

IDK, I haven't really bothered to follow news about the consoles till MCC got announced.
Anything I just HAVE to play?

Computron

Halo 2 vista had 3-4 servers with a number of players on them. First one being BR Slayer on lockout with 12 people playing.

Controller feels good, where the fuck is the rumble?

EDIT: Oh my god.

I had no rumble the entire game, then I quit back to the desktop and 5 minutes later my controller starts rumbling in my lap.
Its a minute later now and it appears as though its playing back the events of my game from 5 minutes ago.

WTF, its like saved films for your lap. :-D

nillapuddin

Simon & Schuster is proud to announce a new Halo novel from John Shirley, releasing on November 4, 2014!

Witness an untold chapter in Halo lore as John Shirley's Halo: Broken Circle takes us to the dawn of the Covenant and the fateful first bargain between the Prophets and the Elites. Broken Circle will explore an Elite splinter group rebelling against the Covenant in its earliest days, a brave Prophet caught in the machinations of the new Covenant leadership, and the root of the betrayal that would ultimately shatter the Covenant during events seen in the blockbuster Xbox game Halo 2.

p.s.
343, please keep my bookshelf pretty, the lack of cohesion is killing me, pick a format and stick with it

Thankfully all the scrubs will gravitate towards halo 3 and 4.

Whereas actually decent
people/
players can congregate on halo Ce and 2 playlists.

We have been blessed.

Fracas

#fuckonami
IDK, I haven't really bothered to follow news about the consoles till MCC got announced.
Anything I just HAVE to play?

Dead Rising, 60 Second Shooter, Max: The Curse of Brotherhood, KI and Forza (if you're into the genres) are the games I'd recommend. Titanfall's fun enough but the content just isn't there. I didn't care for Ryse at all.

This fall and 2015 is when both XB1 and PS4 are really going to get the big games.

FyreWulff

Halo 2 vista had 3-4 servers with a number of players on them. First one being BR Slayer on lockout with 12 people playing.

Controller feels good, where the fuck is the rumble?

EDIT: Oh my god.

I had no rumble the entire game, then I quit back to the desktop and 5 minutes later my controller starts rumbling in my lap.
Its a minute later now and it appears as though its playing back the events of my game from 5 minutes ago.

WTF, its like saved films for your lap. :-D

I got on a couple of days ago. There's STILL a ton of those A 0000___ servers spamming the list. It's like fucking stop that shit already

edit: monument to all our sins

hMIOpZO.jpg

Computron

Getting >120fps across 3 1080p monitors... actually seems kinda low, but this game isn't exactly optimized.

Your move 343 :-D

Y5j6Qqg.jpg

VK6kuKA.jpg

nkA4HQO.jpg

BzTghfw.jpg

iMPln3b1dWEv7.png

Top Bottom