• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HaloGAF |OT: Anniversary| So fades the great harvest of our betrayal.

TheXbox

Frankie said that Halo 3 and 4 won't receive additional graphic packages. He also said that because halo 3 will be at 1080p/60fps, that we will see a lot more detail, immersion, and smoothness to the graphics that we didn't see in the past. This applies to a less extent to halo 4.
That just sounds like Frankie talk.

I played a little Halo 4 a couple nights ago because I was excited about the MCC. Join in progress is a plague.

And so are those maps. Man. I really hope they get some help or fresh blood or new ideas for Halo 5.

I think I heard that a completely different company is in charge of map design

From a gameplay perspective, I think people will like CE. What they won't like though are the lack of unquestionable improvements made since then; things like an ingame clock, Red X's, a better radar, etc. etc.

On that front I can see its population being impacted, but I think a lot of people are in for a nice surprise with that game, whether it has the most people playing it or not. Just as long as there aren't issues finding games and playing what we want, I'm not too concerned at the moment because I know the competition will likely be fierce as time progresses.

Only if Bungie pays me.

i70veHrQfopfu.gif

antigoon

I'm looking forward to actually trying to get good at CE. I played with my friends a bunch, but never with the regularity that would allow one to continually improve.

Can't wait to mess up that Dammy OS nade jump in matchmaking over and over again.

I'm looking forward to actually trying to get good at CE. I played with my friends a bunch, but never with the regularity that would allow one to continually improve.

Can't wait to mess up that Dammy OS nade jump in matchmaking over and over again.

Halo CE and Halo 2 are the only games where I spent hours upon hours in the maps alone just testing out jumps, grenade tricks, good sight lines, etc.

Looking forward to refreshing all those memories and advanced tech.

I can't stress how much I want there to be a publicly consumable REST API backing the stats site for The Master Chief Collection. If there was, it would make third-party stats site development simple, and opens up possibilities for other aggregators and data-driven communities.

Please 343, for the love of Halo and all that is holy.

Rev3rb

Predictions for MCC multi pop counts:

1. Halo 2 Anniversary (at launch), then has a 50/50 chance of staying up there if it's actually good. Given it's just a better-looking Halo 2 without the glitches and shit, I think it has a pretty good chance of staying alive.
2. Halo 3. Graphical fidelity upgrades in addition to all of the sandbox toys and feature set will probably keep it alive for a long time.
3. Halo CE. Major drop in population compared to Halo 3, but vocal minorities will definitely get their money's worth out of it. Pretty big potential for BTB, too.
4. Halo 2. I don't see Halo 2 doing that well if it's a glitchfest and it has a better-looking, modernized equivalent out.
5. Halo 4. It's Halo 4. On top of the usual stuff, you now have to unlock everything again. We don't even know if pre-order exclusive cosmetics will even be obtainable in this build.

Close to the order I was thinking, but I could see Halo 2 & Halo CE swap.

I can't stress how much I want there to be a REST API backing the stats site for The Master Chief Collection. If there was, it would make third-party stats site development simple, and opens up possibilities for other aggregators and data-driven communities.

Please 343, for the love of Halo and all that is holy.

Oh there will be one.

But it won't be documented or available for public consumption. It will likely just get cracked by the AuntieDot guys

antigoon

Halo CE and Halo 2 are the only games where I spent hours upon hours in the maps alone just testing out jumps, grenade tricks, good sight lines, etc.

Looking forward to refreshing all those memories and advanced tech.

I could never get those nade throws for the sniper on Hang 'Em where you had to look up outside the map. Heh.

Omni

I'm kinda bothered by this. In the cutscene preview that we saw of Halo 2 Anniversary, Master Chief doesn't do this

Instead he just kicks it down from outta space and it somehow destroys a Cruiser. Not to mention that if this kind of thing is prevalent over the new cutscenes, then parts of the OST will be chopped out to accommodate it, right? (for example when MC enters the Cruiser in the original, the main Halo 2 theme starts playing. Since he no longer enters the ship then there will be no need to play said track)

I'm kinda bothered by this. In the cutscene preview that we saw of Halo 2 Anniversary, Master Chief doesn't do this

Instead he just kicks it down from outta space and it somehow destroys a Cruiser. Not to mention that if this kind of thing is prevalent over the new cutscenes, then parts of the OST will be chopped out to accommodate it, right? (for example when MC enters the Cruiser in the original, the main Halo 2 theme starts playing. Since he no longer enters the ship then there will be no need to play said track)

You can hit the Back button to switch between cutscenes on the fly ingame, so presumably it'll be left intact. That modification to the cutscene was probably for something else, like maybe a Terminal or just promotional work.

wwm0nkey

You can hit the Back button to switch between cutscenes on the fly ingame, so presumably it'll be left intact. That modification to the cutscene was probably for something else, like maybe a Terminal or just promotional work.

Probably promotional work. Would be far too weird even to new comers to press back and see something COMPLETELY different happening.

History is made by the victors, I still wanted to 343i rely on realtime cutscenes but anyway

Close to the order I was thinking, but I could see Halo 2 & Halo CE swap.

Oh there will be one.

But it won't be documented or available for public consumption. It will likely just get cracked by the AuntieDot guys

That's powered by this mess of undocumented authenticated XML. Make it a documented JSON API with user generated API keys, like every other site ever.

m23

Have they said whether the cutscenes will be just remade versions of the same cutscene or reimagined?

Obscured

I'll be playing through the campaigns again before multiplayer (though I probably won't go back to Reach, just can never seem to get back to the 360 these days). I can't seem to help myself when it comes to stuff like this, I reread Game of Thrones before every season and when a new book comes out (so I don't have to do it that often).

Not sure I'll do legendary with skulls on, I want to go through the campaigns, but I'd like to enjoy it (Sometimes legendary is enjoyable, sometimes it is just work). Hopefully I can get some co-op action in if I can find anyone to play with.

Omni

Probably promotional work. Would be far too weird even to new comers to press back and see something COMPLETELY different happening.

I hope so.

Blur or whoever still has a lot of wiggle room while still sticking to the original [progression?]. Like we don't have to see MC enter the Cruiser the same way, nor does he have to move like he did before... but I'd think that the act of entering the Cruiser itself is a pretty damn important event within that particular scene

Deviating too much from the originals will change how story is told and the tones that it conveys. And that's a bad thing in an Anniversary game

Have they said whether the cutscenes will be just remade versions of the same cutscene or reimagined?
I don't think they've said anything. Just something that stuck out like a sore thumb to me when I saw the announcement trailer

Ominym

Banned
So, I've been wondering. I know several posters (myself included) felt like Halo 4/Spartan Assault were setting up for Palmer (Pawhlmurr) being the newer protagonist of Halo at some point.

Seeing as how it's likely that we're going to play as this Agent Locke fellow in Halo 5? Anyone else feel like that decision to craft a new character came after the adverse reaction to Palmer?

Fully keeping in mind that video game forums are a small subsect of the overall audience, and that female protagonists are considered a unjust black mark against the mass appeal of a title by some publishers/developers. I still cannot help but feel like they recognized the aversion to the egghead shouting Spartan and pivoted away.

Perhaps I'm simply drawing conclusions because I just got around to playing Spartan Assault. Which is awful, by the way. It has just seemed a bit odd to me that she was such an integral part of Halo 4's package and then seemingly pushed out. Didn't even get a place in the Halo 5 beta trailer, in which she probably would've fit.

m23

I don't think they've said anything. Just something that stuck out like a sore thumb to me when I saw the announcement trailer

I definitely noticed that too, I kind of figured that was a cutscene from h2a. That's why I was thinking cutscenes will be reimagined instead of just being straight remakes.

So, I've been wondering. I know several posters (myself included) felt like Halo 4/Spartan Assault were setting up for Palmer (Pawhlmurr) being the newer protagonist of Halo at some point.

Seeing as how it's likely that we're going to play as this Agent Locke fellow in Halo 5? Anyone else feel like that decision to craft a new character came after the adverse reaction to Palmer?

Fully keeping in mind that video game forums are a small subsect of the overall audience, and that female protagonists are considered a unjust black mark against the mass appeal of a title by some publishers/developers. I still cannot help but feel like they recognized the aversion to the egghead shouting Spartan and pivoted away.

Perhaps I'm simply drawing conclusions because I just got around to playing Spartan Assault. Which is awful, by the way. It has just seemed a bit odd to me that she was such an integral part of Halo 4's package and then seemingly pushed out. Didn't even get a place in the Halo 5 beta trailer, in which she probably would've fit.

Feels like Palmer didnt pull any audience (lol) so maybe they will stick to a standart agent male (possibily white) guy, shame didnt was Palmer knowing how it ends in Spartan Ops.

Ominym

Banned
Feels like Palmer didnt pull any audience (lol) so maybe they will stick to a standart agent male (possibily white) guy, shame didnt was Palmer knowing how it ends in Spartan Ops.

I completely get the backlash against Palmer as I didn't like her either. She was horribly written. I don't think it would've mattered if she was a girl or not. The whole, "I'm a jarhead, go push the button because the eggheads said so!" shtick wore thin real quick. And it was really uncharacteristic for the Halo universe, given how even the most "ooh-ra Marines" character was Sergeant Johnson and he was never so one dimensional.

Booties

Banned
I'll be playing through the campaigns again before multiplayer (though I probably won't go back to Reach, just can never seem to get back to the 360 these days). I can't seem to help myself when it comes to stuff like this, I reread Game of Thrones before every season and when a new book comes out (so I don't have to do it that often).

Not sure I'll do legendary with skulls on, I want to go through the campaigns, but I'd like to enjoy it (Sometimes legendary is enjoyable, sometimes it is just work). Hopefully I can get some co-op action in if I can find anyone to play with.

I still don't get why people think legendary is so hard. Maybe they didn't play it as much as I did. Only a few parts get me, mostly in halo 2 like the broken boss fights and that room where Hoobastank starts playing and the elites and brutes fight. Other than that, I find most of the halo universe easy on legendary. Its fun and challenging.

I'm assuming that it was promotional.

And based on the leaked video at E3 with the Blur trailer it's
Re-imagined.
But you do see remade scenes as well so could be both.

Keep taking "L's" Euro-HaloGAF. We superior North Americans will have 3 solid days of playing on you guys. By the time you get around to playing, we'll be 3sk headshot masters in CE, have relearned all the glitches and button combos for H2 etc.

This is all in jest. Ideally we'd want everyone to get the game within a day of each. The first few days are always the most fun. Here's hoping launch goes smoothly.

Heh, North Americans trembling at the prospect of taking us on without transatlantic host advantage. They'll need those three days

Seriously though, ODST, Reach and Halo 4 all launched simultaneously outside of Japan. Why has that changed now? Bit disappointing.

1. Halo 2 Anniversary... Given it's just a better-looking Halo 2 without the glitches and shit

Dunno about that though. It probably feels as similar to halo 2 as Reach anni lists do to CE. Just from the footage shown on Ascension the grenade arc looks wrong, movement speed appears slower than Halo 2, the rocket comes out slow, the hit box for the sniper headshot looked potentially even larger than original H2. In addition to that they'll have to implement the original medals, jettison that crass center white text, up the firing rate on the sniper (the H2 one fires as fast as you can mash the trigger) and make YYing a lot faster than it was in H4.

If it's diluted 'classic' Halo then I won't play it more than a few times, which is fine as we're being treated to the originals in 60 FPS. They'll do nicely.

Dunno about that though. It probably feels as similar to halo 2 as Reach anni lists do to CE.

I highly doubt that will be the case. Halo 4 feels more like a hop, skip and a jump away from Halo 2 (and many people have said this, HaloGAF included) whereas Reach was nothing like CE. If anything, an updated Halo 4 to match Halo 2 settings might even play a lot better than Halo 2 did, granted they make the proper changes like no flinch, less aim assist than Halo 2, etc.

Again, there have been several improvements and additions to the sandbox since Halo 2, so at the very least I'm excited to try out H2A.

Heh, North Americans trembling at the prospect of taking us on without transatlantic host advantage. They'll need those three days

Seriously though, ODST, Reach and Halo 4 all launched simultaneously outside of Japan. Why has that changed now? Bit disappointing.

Dunno about that though. It probably feels as similar to halo 2 as Reach anni lists do to CE. Just from the footage shown on Ascension the grenade arc looks wrong, movement speed appears slower than Halo 2, the rocket comes out slow, the hit box for the sniper headshot looked potentially even larger than original H2. In addition to that they'll have to implement the original medals, jettison that crass center white text, up the firing rate on the sniper (the H2 one fires as fast as you can mash the trigger) and make YYing a lot faster than it was in H4.

If it's diluted 'classic' Halo then I won't play it more than a few times, which is fine as we're being treated to the originals in 60 FPS. They'll do nicely.

I don't know that those will be enough to scare coddly casual Jimmy McNuggets. I mean sure, the point-by-point vocal minority here will probably whinge and moan to the ends of the earth, but I doubt the major audiences will care.

I highly doubt that will be the case. Halo 4 feels more like a hop, skip and a jump away from Halo 2

Depends how sensitive you are to playing between engines. If you honestly think The only difference between 2 and 4 is AA's and sprint then you need to go back and play both of them more.

Booshka detailed a list if why they're very different. Momentum based melees, different sized spartan models, different strafe inertia, different aim acceleration, etc in isolation it won't mean much but cumulatively, it will probably feel very different to Halo 2. They're not going verbatim anyway, it's intended to be in 'the spirit' of Halo 2.

I agree they could change things for the better, aim assist and hit boxes being the areas I'd like them to focus on. I'm not optimistic judging by the footage but it's still in dev and one cannot make a definitive assertion on it based off of footage alone.

Depends how sensitive you are to playing between engines. If you honestly think The only difference between 2 and 4 is AA's and sprint then you need to go back and play both of them more.
Did not say this.
Booshka detailed a list if why they're very different. Momentum based melees, different sized spartan models, different strafe inertia, different aim acceleration, etc in isolation it won't mean much but cumulatively, it will probably feel very different to Halo 2. They're not going verbatim anyway, it's intended to be in 'the spirit' of Halo 2.
I know this.
I agree they could change things for the better, aim assist and hit boxes being the areas I'd like them to focus on.
Exactly what I'm saying.
I'm not optimistic judging by the footage but it's still in dev and one cannot make a definitive assertion on it based off of footage alone.
Proven by the Bulletin.

Glad we talked that out brother ;]

Fyre, you doing a "Halo CE" suggestions post on your website?
for more than asking for playable elites

Halo CE has some problems that could be fixed without hurting the classic feel.

180 glitch
infinite ammo
power up sharing

Keep taking "L's" Euro-HaloGAF. We superior North Americans will have 3 solid days of playing on you guys. By the time you get around to playing, we'll be 3sk headshot masters in CE, have relearned all the glitches and button combos for H2 etc.

This is all in jest. Ideally we'd want everyone to get the game within a day of each. The first few days are always the most fun. Here's hoping launch goes smoothly.

Mexico is part of North America, beware citizens =3

Fuchsdh

ugh, trying to remember where those were on Legendary (while drunk) was not fun after a while

This describes my Halo playing style pretty accurately.

It's sad my baseline Halo skill is probably lower than that of great deal of inebriated HaloGAF. But at least I'm average!

Heh, North Americans trembling at the prospect of taking us on without transatlantic host advantage. They'll need those three days.

Dedis won't get rid of that advantage in either direction really. It all just depends which side of the ocean the server resides on, assuming matchmaking will match cross-region. Preferably not. For the dedis to make the real difference, same-continent matchmaking is preferable as a minimum. It'll be interesting to see how they handle parties with people in different geographical areas.

Titanfall PC does a fucking horrible job at it, let's hope 343 does better.

I really hope Halo 2 MP isn't a whole bunch of SMG start games. Same with Halo 3 being all Ar start.

Halo CE should be 100% slayer pro
Halo 2 should be BR/SMG
Halo 3 should be BR/AR
Halo 4 should be Halo 4.

Anyone agree? disagree?

Dedis won't get rid of that advantage in either direction really. It all just depends which side of the ocean the server resides on, assuming matchmaking will match cross-region. Preferably not. For the dedis to make the real difference, same-continent matchmaking is preferable as a minimum. It'll be interesting to see how they handle parties with people in different geographical areas.

Titanfall PC does a fucking horrible job at it, let's hope 343 does better.

Yeah I like to idealise and dream about dedi's as like a LAN online utopia but I know deep down that's not the reality. At the very least, no one player will have host advantage now. I seem to remember MS saying they have billions of servers, no? If playing trans-continental maybe a server that was equidistant between the players... but then would the connection be equally mediocre for all the players? I'll be honest, I have no experience of dedi's at all so I'm not quite sure what to expect.

Funknown said:
Glad we talked that out brother ;]

All in good spirit funk

Top Bottom