• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HaloGAF |OT: Anniversary| So fades the great harvest of our betrayal.

nillapuddin

I think I may import the whole Halo novels cuz I dont think it will be a spanish version of it.

how many have you been able to get natively?

New Halo book? I think I'm still stuck on Primorium, that was a hell of a drag. Might get back into the Halo books after I finish A Dance with Dragons.

Don't talk to me about consistency. :(

Yeah Primordium did have alot of walking around, but its a great story
And oh boy, I feel the pain of that shelf

Son, get on my level.

udz4Kqm.jpg

I still don't get why Mortal Dictata suddenly got supersized.

I am, so, so sorry my friend.

I honestly assume part of the inconsistency is they go with whatever better deal there is on print runs, and that might be a slightly different paper size depending.

One of these days I'll probably make custom slip-covers for everything.

The "old" Covenant warships look awesome to me. Can't get completely hyped for more prequel stuff, but if they give us good Covenant culture stuff like Mortal Dictata, Cole Protocol, or Contact Harvest I'll be satisfied.

I know I always take a ton of time looking online to ensure that I get the same sizes, which the vast majority of the "specs" are listed with huge variances, 8" = 8 1/2", etc.
Its like the guy who types it up, just ballparks it and calls it good.

John Shirley also wrote BioShock Rapture, which lore people really liked. Mild hype.

He also wrote some Borderlands books and a Watch Dawgs book.
He also wrote a really good Predator book that I highly recommend to anybody that is a fan of the series.

Sweet, I will have to check those out, sounds like its in good hands.

This is part of the new publisher also right? They stopped their partnership with TOR IIRC

LastChance2Frag

Neo Member
How much do think the Helmet will be? Would be cool to get some different colour variations.

Had a thought whilst I was playing Halo Wars if 343 are back to 3 year dev plans they could do the following;
MC Collection - 2014
Halo 5 - 2015
Halo ODST/Reach/Wars X1 versions - 2016
Halo Wars 2 with Halo 6 Beta - 2017
Halo 6 - 2018

343 would still be mainly concerntrating on the Main Halo series outsource the upressing/porting of the remakes and get Robot Entertainment or another strategy studio to handle the second Halo Wars.

Seems like a big ask but after how much is coming with the MC collection it could be done.

Re releasing reach and odst is kinda pointless.

CE and 2 were significant landmarks for both xbox and xbox live so celebrating them makes sense.

Doing reach and odst is unnecessary.

Are we gonna see an endless cycle of old games being released over and over again? Nah. Better to support the current games.

A yearly halo release is just over saturation.

The meltdown from a halo 4 anniversary would be amazing though..

So halo showed up in my dream last night for some reason. 343 released some info regarding the H2A maps. As it turns out, you have to unlock them to play. How do you unlock them? Easy, you have to idle in Halo Reach for 45 mins lol

Would you recommend it to someone new to the series? Never really got around to watching the movies.

Sure. It's not really connected to the movies much and I think the story is fun and interesting in its own way. Basic premise of the series is that the Predators are aliens that are like a basically space alien Japanese Samurai (honor bound warriors) that value hunting the best and hardest possible targets available. The first two movies are set on Earth, while the third is set on a hunting preserve where the Predators pick up some of the best warriors on Earth and dump them in the jungle to hunt them down.

The book, Predator: Forever Midnight is set far into the future on a fictional planet. It really needs no backstory otherwise.

Shirley got a lot of shit for his book from long time fans, though. The movies never establish what the Predators call themselves, but a long list of books in the 90s and early 2000s have the Predators calling themselves the Yuatja. Shirley basically rebooted the universe with no references to anything else and had the Predators calling themselves the Hish.

Among other minor culture differences that contradict each other, Forever Midnight got quite a bit of unfair criticism, IMO. Especially because it's better than the older series anyway.

EDIT: Looking at the reviews on Amazon, it seems it wasn't as greatly accepted by people as I thought it was. YMMV on enjoyment, I suppose.

Sweet, I will have to check those out, sounds like its in good hands.

This is part of the new publisher also right? They stopped their partnership with TOR IIRC

Yeah they're done with TOR now.

This new one is the first they're doing with Gallery Books. It's part of a "multi-year partnership". At one or two books a year I'd guess we see 4-5 books at least with this.

I definitely wouldn't mind seeing them crank out more than one a year. Especially with how wide and varied this universe is. I'm sure there are plenty of quality authors that could be brought in through some type of rotating schedule. They already had a ton of people show up for Evolutions. Those guys are obviously all interested in the universe in some way.

Guys like Eric Raab, who wrote that Jiralhanae short story and has been editor for a bunch of the books, or Tobias Buckell, the writer of Cole Protocol and the short story Dirt (AKA best of Evolutions). Bring back Jeff VanderMeer, the guy who injected an awesome horror story into the Halo Universe that was genuinely creepy at times.

Or bring back Nylund!

LastChance2Frag

Neo Member

CE and 2 were significant landmarks for both xbox and xbox live so celebrating them makes sense.

Are we gonna see an endless cycle of old games being released over and over again? Nah. Better to support the current games.

Wasn't really getting at continuing the anniversary theme, would just be cool to have all the Halo campaigns on Xbox One. Reach and ODST have great campaigns and its not exactly like it would be an endless cycle, that would be it.

Just thought it could be a good release in the gap years even if they are add-ons for the MC collection.

This

I want more new games that are either spin-offs or alternate views. I want more on ONI and all their shadiness. I want more on the Spartans that Ill actually feel an attachment to (unlike Palmer, still waiting for a redeeming quality). Just doing rerelease after rerelease between the main entries is boring.

I want them to combine the game lore and the book/movie/etc lore even more. Seeing Sarin in Spartan Ops was awesome, and having this nee character Locke that is clearly ONI is great, I just want them to keep going with it.

Booshka

Yo why are the Halo 2 vista servers all empty I need to train myself into H2 again

Play on XBC with the good kids. Get your ass stomped by some tryhards in Midship FFA for 3 hours straight, twice a day. Do that for a couple weeks and you'll get yourself back into shape. Think of it like Hell week in Football.

Some nerd might know this in here.

Lets say I wanted to own all the Halo expanded media content digitally. That's comics and books I'm talking about. What would be the best way to do this and is it possible. What's the best device to hold and read things like this.

Easily that is.

Mistel

Banned
There was only about a dozen or so players online when I loaded the game up the other night.
That's not a lot of people at all I guess few want to play it anymore.

Lets say I wanted to own all the Halo expanded media content digitally. That's comics and books I'm talking about. What would be the best way to do this and is it possible. What's the best device to hold and read things like this.

Easily that is.
You can buy digital comics straight from dark horse. And then maybe a kindle fire or something so you can read both the comics and buy the books on one thing.

Just curious, how many of you guys here would actually appreciate a ranked/social split, and visible, in-game ranks for Halo 5?
This shouldn't even be a question. It's so nice to be able to play games without the pressure of ranks, but ranks should definitely be in the game to scratch the competitive itch. I loved halo 2's split of social and ranked. It was perfect. Remember, the ranking system in 2 wasn't the problem; it was all the cheating going on.

Easily that is.

for reading? Amazon's kindle

Havoc2049

Easily that is.

zune-halo3.jpg

;-P

-Ryn

Banned
Literary insight
Thanks that sounds like a good read. With this kind of stuff as long as the writing is good I don't mind too much deviation from "established" canon. As long as it just owns it ya know? Plus the Hish is much easier to pronounce. I think I'll check it out.

Nylund is still one of my favorite authors. Dude did a lot for Halo.

Easily that is.
Legally?

Honestly any digital device (I.e. iPod, tablet, kindle, etc) should be fine. Not really sure what the pricing on the books themselves is like though. There's probably some decent prices out there but from looking at Amazon the books alone aren't cheap.

iMax

Easily that is.

iPad mini.

Legally?

Honestly any digital device (I.e. iPod, tablet, kindle, etc) should be fine. Not really sure what the pricing on the books themselves is like though. There's probably some decent prices out there but from looking at Amazon the books alone aren't cheap.

I wonder if the digital version have spanish.

Looked around on Google and Amazon and there doesn't seem to be any. That's kinda lame.

Well, the same with comics, you have to wait half of a year if not the entire year to see the Halo Comics.

So, I have to "download" them to read them.

Swat in Halo 4 ive grown to really enjoy regardless of some flaws in terms of pre-set loadout weapons and map choices.

One thing that made me laugh was when I had shot this dude's face twice with the LR and after he finished reloading he domes me and right after the kill cam even shows it. I was then left in disbelief of what the actual hell just happened.

Does anyone have playlists, maps, gametypes, or even mods they highly recommend to try out in 4??

Swat in Halo 4 ive grown to really enjoy regardless of some flaws in terms of pre-set loadout weapons and map choices.

One thing that made me laugh was when I had shot this dude's face twice with the LR and after he finished reloading he domes me and right after the kill cam even shows it. I was then left in disbelief of what the actual hell just happened.

Does anyone have playlists, maps, gametypes, or even mods they highly recommend to try out in 4??

CTF, BTB, heavies, gun game, throne zombies, ricochet pitfall, sword tournament, prop hunt are a quick couple. Customs and majority parties to control matchmaking votes = fun Halo 4.

CTF, BTB, heavies, gun game, throne zombies, ricochet pitfall, sword tournament, prop hunt are a quick couple. Customs and majority parties to control matchmaking votes = fun Halo 4.
oh cool thanks ozzy

If I could change 1 little thing in 4 would be the base movement speed. Id like to maneuver better when im strafing in a BR battle.

oh cool thanks ozzy

If I could change 1 little thing in 4 would be the base movement speed. Id like to maneuver better when im strafing in a BR battle.

I really like the current version of 4's movement but I agree with a little more strafe acceleration or speed, especially with dedis inbound next main multiplayer.

Madness

Hey,it works fine for me!!!

Except when three shoots can kill me from nowhere

Thats exactly why I wouldn't like a 32v32 Halo. I can just see now like walking two feet and getting donged by like 8 guys out of nowhere. Would basically be a stick to the outsides/walls type scenario.

oh cool thanks ozzy

Didn't they nerf movement speed of strafing after launch? I don't remember.

Thats exactly why I wouldn't like a 32v32 Halo. I can just see now like walking two feet and getting donged by like 8 guys out of nowhere. Would basically be a stick to the outsides/walls type scenario.

No fucking way 32v32 will happen. One, they want to go back the more area-focused multiplayer, and two, the maps would have to get CRAZY large. And if I learned anything from COD Ghosts, it's that bigger maps for a more arcade-like shooter is not the way to go.

-Ryn

Banned
How do you feel about 12v12?

daedalius

We do.
That doesn't mean 8v8 needs to be replaced, no, we need both.

So we need to 8v8 plus 12v12, and whatever else?

Why? What is the purpose of this higher count playlist?

The more players you add, the less impact in the game you can personally have.

Woorloog

Banned
We do.
That doesn't mean 8v8 needs to be replaced, no, we need both.

We absolutely don't need more than 8v8, BTB userbase does not need splitting up.

The beauty of Halo BTB is that at 8v8, it is chaotic, action-filled, feels big, yet it isn't actually big.
Want big big multiplayer experience? Play Battlefield or Planetside 2.

We absolutely don't need more than 8v8, BTB userbase does not need splitting up.

The beauty of Halo BTB is that at 8v8, it is chaotic, action-filled, feels big, yet it isn't actually big.
Want big big multiplayer experience? Play Battlefield or Planetside 2.

Glad someone speaks the truth

Top Bottom