• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HaloGAF |OT: Anniversary| So fades the great harvest of our betrayal.

Vico

ibhJUctAiy3Z93.gif

This is rad.
I missed interactive elements in Halo.

ElRenoRaven

So now that GAF is back up I can finally say good job 343. It's looking like you guys really did take the community feedback to heart. Color me optimistic about Halo 5 now.

Also glad to see H2A tank is a proper remodel and not done the way H1A tank was. I hated the H1A one because it was the reach model with the turret ripped off and a black hole left behind.

Homeboyd

Frank, you guys are bringing Forge to H2A, can we assume each of these remastered maps will have a unique Forge palette for map making, or will it be more along the lines of H3's minor edits/move some scenery around and use 1 map (like Coag) for map making?

So far my only concern is that they're playing things really safe with the beta. I'd rather them just be upfront about whatever new mechanics / large-scale battles / whatever they want to add to Halo 5 in the long run and have them appear in the beta. As-is it seems really misleading that they're going to make the beta all about 4v4, map control, etc. and then reveal the Halofield mechanics later on, at like E3 or something.

Fuchsdh

So what's the point of the water? Blind your enemy when you assault their base?

So far my only concern is that they're playing things really safe with the beta. I'd rather them just be upfront about whatever new mechanics / large-scale battles / whatever they want to add to Halo 5 in the long run and have them appear in the beta. As-is it seems really misleading that they're going to make the beta all about 4v4, map control, etc. and then reveal the Halofield mechanics later on, at like E3 or something.

Well considering all the b-roll it seems likely we're still getting the Spartan Abilities stuff. Probably just want to save it for its own thing so people don't flip out more over partial info.

Madness

So what's the point of the water? Blind your enemy when you assault their base?

Well considering all the b-roll it seems likely we're still getting the Spartan Abilities stuff. Probably just want to save it for its own thing so people don't flip out more over partial info.

Probably don't want to also make fans salty as hell for 9 months leading up to launch. This way, they satisfy the classic style Halo fans, hard-core and competitive crowd. Save their large maps, and new Spartan ability stuff for closer to launch? Ntkrnl said the maps were gigantic, so maybe they held off on those? Either way, they need to make sure they launch without any hiccups. This actually feels like a great beta, enough feedback time to change things.

I wonder how ranks will work for MCC and what they've got in mind for H5 though.

Fuchsdh

Probably don't want to also make fans salty as hell for 9 months leading up to launch. This way, they satisfy the classic style Halo fans, hard-core and competitive crowd. Save their large maps, and new Spartan ability stuff for closer to launch? Ntkrnl said the maps were gigantic, so maybe they held off on those? Either way, they need to make sure they launch without any hiccups. This actually feels like a great beta, enough feedback time to change things.

I wonder how ranks will work for MCC and what they've got in mind for H5 though.

The other point is that as stressed, we're a long ways away from launch, and stuff that's going into this beta has to be locked and polished significantly away from the rest of the game development. It might just be a strategic decision to focus resources on a greater number of smaller maps where balance will be more crucial.

Ampoc

Neo Member
When HaloGAF is liking the news a lot then 343i should know that they're doing good.

This is your redemption, don't torch it 343.

Also, loving the look to Sanctuary, even though I was hoping for another remastered map in place of it.

Madness

Should've had some sort of a bundle though. I mean do they really want to push some Halo fans into possibly buying a Call of Duty bundle instead?

In case anyone's wondering where OddOne got the waterfall footage from, it's available here.

I like that the medals are back to taking up a very small portion of the screen now over on the side. The SMG sounds really off, though. Like, it the firing FX need to be run through an equalizer and have most of the lows taken out - it sounds weirdly hollow and beefy for an SMG.

I have to say, though, it's really cathartic seeing people playing on Sanctuary and not inexplicably sprinting / jetpacking to safety whenever they're taking fire.

Mix

Awesome news to wake up to. =)

Whoa. Where is this from?

Frankie, random question-

Sanctuary looks damn beautiful, but the lack of colored paint on the outside of the Mausoleum entrances bugs me. Any chance it'll return? It was a great mapside indicator, but it also just looked really cool and gave things an adventurous vibe.

well, Frankie commented on this already, but one side of the map is definitely covered in a cool blueish shadow due to the angle of the light source, I think it's safe to assume that'll be blue team spawn.

Fracas

#fuckonami
I like what I've heard of H5 but we'll see. Good to see 343's apparently taking that simple, equal design philosophy seriously. I need good Halo again.

Also I want that white XB1. Gonna try to sell mine.

well, Frankie commented on this already, but one side of the map is definitely covered in a cool blueish shadow due to the angle of the light source, I think it's safe to assume that'll be blue team spawn.

Yeah, I know. I just liked the paint decals. They looked cool.

Mix

In case anyone's wondering where OddOne got the waterfall footage from, it's available here.

I like that the medals are back to taking up a very small portion of the screen now over on the side. The SMG sounds really off, though. Like, it the firing FX need to be run through an equalizer and have most of the lows taken out - it sounds weirdly hollow and beefy for an SMG.

I have to say, though, it's really cathartic seeing people playing on Sanctuary and not inexplicably sprinting / jetpacking to safety whenever they're taking fire.

I agree with Wahrer on this, the medals being on the side is fantastic, and the SMG does sond oddly hollow and far too beefy, I think it could use some tuning. At first I thought it was because they were in that big hollow area that's the team spawn but then they left it and it was still off.

Frank, has it been said whether the BR/DMR/other precision weapons are hitscan or bullet time?
Yeah, I know. I just liked the paint decals. They looked cool.

I thought so too. I hope they come back.

Hey, I just noticed, they're using the classic Plasma Pistol sound in the charge-up FX for H2AMP.

Carbine sounds great too. Sounds "fluttery" when a cartridge is being discharged.

Madness

So glad the text is gone from the middle of the screen, though I wish they revamped their generic medals in a sense, especially the multi kills ones. That video makes the map look really dark, maybe I'm just on mobile too and that's why.

Omni

All arena style is boring though.

Blaaah. Would prefer at least one decent sized map if they're gonna include 7 in the beta

I don't like how action prompts "Press X to Pick Up Rocket Launcher" etc expand once you trigger them, though. Seems like a weird design choice.

Ominym

Banned
I don't know why it's so difficult to copy the Halo 3: ODST models, but at least these don't look as bad as I thought they would.

Just for reference, these are the paint decals I hope to see show up in the final remastered map:

rDoLu1u.jpg

Which are currently absent:

j24T03m.jpg

I know its a small touch, but it really was a unique visual that helped set the tone of the map while adding in a bit of diversity.

---

But seriously, otherwise Sanctuary looks really, really nice.

Mix

It looks like the golden weapon on the center platform of what I and Wahrer suspected to be Condemned from Halo: Reach might be a Railgun. I could be completely wrong though.

God, this is amazing. I don't think I've seen HaloGAF this positive in years.

EDIT: The water running down the side of the rockwall in Sanctuary looks insane. This map is gorgeous. I really cannot wait to see Zanzibar, Coag, and Lockout in action. But what is that last map gonna be? I guess we'll find out at pax in two weeks.

Buwx

Just for reference, these are the paint decals I hope to see show up in the final remastered map:

rDoLu1u.jpg

Which are currently absent:

j24T03m.jpg

I know its a small touch, but it really was a unique visual that helped set the tone of the map while adding in a bit of diversity.

---

But seriously, otherwise Sanctuary looks really, really nice.

Hnnnnnnggggg. I can't get over how beautiful this map is. If you asked me last night, I would've said I was really upset about Sanctuary (Halo: Reach really left a bad taste in my mouth with that disgusting Forge World palette). Now, on the other hand, I couldn't be more hyped!

Top Bottom