• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HaloGAF |OT: Anniversary| So fades the great harvest of our betrayal.

antigoon

Done right, alternative firing modes could be really cool. Odds are it is purely cosmetic though.

I am curious, since Dual Wielding is not in, but we know the SMG is returning.. how will it perform in comparison to the AR? Shame it isn't the scoped and silenced SMG from ODST.

I don't wanna speak too soon (but I'm gonna anyway), but it seems like they're continuing the token sandbox redundancy that has plagued the later games in the series.

Defect

So I'm going to assume that every playlist is "ranked" like in Halo 4? If so, will each playlist have it's own visual rank displayed?

I haven't seen the gamescom footage yet.

Mistel

Banned
I am curious, since Dual Wielding is not in, but we know the SMG is returning.. how will it perform in comparison to the AR? Shame it isn't the scoped and silenced SMG from ODST.
I assume it will fire faster than the AR and have more spread than it too. Probably a bit weaker maybe shot damage wise.

FyreWulff

I'm assuming the Halo 2 ranking is purely visual and they're using a modern skillmatch system under it.

There's no way in the Year Of Our Lord 2014 that someone is actually using Halo 2's ranking system for anything that actually matters.

Great information from today, with Midship in Halo 5, I would guess that's out as one of the remakes for Anniversary, which is fine as Halo 3 has a pretty good visual upgrade with Heretic. The weapons look nice, strange that they are limiting the sandbox for the beta, but hopefully it's an indication of fine tuning the weapon balance; if that red dot sight on the BR is so bothersome, maybe they'll have time to actually change it. If only one thing carries over from Halo 4 I hope it's the rail gun, that thing was pretty great.

As for the Master Chief collection, I hope Delta Halo sees some improvements, of course it's a work in progress, but it was definitely lacking. Sanctuary looks awesome, hope to see Lockout and Terminal as the final two reveals.

Watched some of that 60fps footage and wow it looks good. It was a little off-putting at first since, you know, we've been playing Halo at 30fps for 10+ years now but by the end of the video it looked natural and I've been watching it over and over and over since. Can't wait!

Fotos

Please make a demo for MCC. Just have Slayer on Remastered Sanctuary and I'll play that for days. I just need some real Halo on Xbox One.

BigShow36

So far my only concern is that they're playing things really safe with the beta. I'd rather them just be upfront about whatever new mechanics / large-scale battles / whatever they want to add to Halo 5 in the long run and have them appear in the beta. As-is it seems really misleading that they're going to make the beta all about 4v4, map control, etc. and then reveal the Halofield mechanics later on, at like E3 or something.

My main concern is that all the talk in the world about "competitive," "arena," "player vs. player" doesn't mean jack shit if the aim assist is still way too high and the strafe is worthless.

There's a reason ADS looks like AIDS.

3obbbu.jpg

60fps Halo is trippn' me the fuck out. I'm used to 60fps, and I'm used to Halo, but this is something I'm not used to at all. I'll get used to it, but seeing Halo at 60fps for the first time is weird as fuck.

If it functions the same it really doesn't matter, though if it has a different zoom I could see some outcry, or maybe the community will actually like the tweaks.

I don't know why people are getting so worked up over the red dot site. Do people really think this means Halo is going to be an ADS shooter?

defghik

All great news today, but please god, don't let Halo 5 be ADS. It would ruin the game for me.

I'm assuming the Halo 2 ranking is purely visual and they're using a modern skillmatch system under it.

There's no way in the Year Of Our Lord 2014 that someone is actually using Halo 2's ranking system for anything that actually matters.

Why not?

My main concern is that all the talk in the world about "competitive," "arena," "player vs. player" doesn't mean jack shit if the aim assist is still way too high and the strafe is worthless.

You broke my heart when I realized you were only a militant purveyor of mid-tempo arena shooter gaming on consoles. Where's the love for Quake? PCs?

Nothing but good news today.

I know there has been speculation with the way they've worded things that equal starts might be limited to the arena mode in Halo 5, but as long as I can play classic Halo 4 v 4 in some form I don't care if they go crazy with BTB or whatever else is in MP.

I like what I've heard of H5 but we'll see. Good to see 343's apparently taking that simple, equal design philosophy seriously. I need good Halo again.

Also I want that white XB1. Gonna try to sell mine.
I'm gonna keep mine just because it looks like the White Sunset Bundle won't include a Kinect.

I'm not giving up the Kinect. I hope they sell a white Kinect separately.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Pretty sure the leaks said BtB was gonna be crazy ambitious, sorta like Halo meets Battlefield. I am ok with this.
Hell yes. I'm a 4v4 competitive player at heart, but I love some BTB action from time to time. I'd love to see them separate the two a little more. The base gameplay should stay the same, of course, but the goals and tone could be totally different and still be great.

It might be like the Suppressor from Halo 4: high rate of fire and quick kill times in very close quarters, but low damage per round and high bullet spread, so it's useless at range.

I'm gonna keep mine just because it looks like the White Sunset Bundle won't include a Kinect.

I'm not giving up the Kinect. I hope they sell a white Kinect separately.
Like it or not, it seems like MS is quickly abandoning Kinect.

daedalius

So we can look forward to the current system of 'back out with no consequences before the match starts' matchmaking?

Oh boy.

That dang ELO, its not good for anything!

If it functions the same it really doesn't matter, though if it has a different zoom I could see some outcry, or maybe the community will actually like the tweaks.
if they have the "bring scope to eye" animation, whats the point of having that animation? we didnt need it for the other 7 games, so why start now?
I don't know why people are getting so worked up over the red dot site. Do people really think this means Halo is going to be an ADS shooter?

There has to be a reason for a superflous change like that. see above.

FyreWulff

So we can look forward to the current system of 'back out with no consequences before the match starts' matchmaking?

Oh boy.

That dang ELO, its not good for anything!

Letting people exit matches with no record of doing so is less to do with any ranking system and more why someone chose to not feed those events into the ranking system.

BigShow36

You broke my heart when I realized you were only a militant purveyor of mid-tempo arena shooter gaming on consoles. Where's the love for Quake? PCs?

There's a long history there and a debate that I don't care to get into again. Suffice it to say that I have very taboo opinions about the console vs. PC debate.

I'm a militant purveyor of balanced, skill-based multiplayer gameplay, and that takes different forms depending on the game and platform.

aj1467

if they have the "bring scope to eye" animation, whats the point of having that animation? we didnt need it for the other 7 games, so why start now?

Bungie added a red dot sight to the smg in ODST. It didn't change anything except let us zoom in like we normally would thanks to its build in scope. I don't think we need to be worried.

Scopes in halo don't need to be traditional scopes. Just look at the pistols. They just have a mini camera on the front.

This could simply be an aesthetic change to help differentiate the weapon from a DMR in player hands, without changing the gameplay at all.

jem0208

People are seriously jumping to conclusions regarding the red dot site. I highly, highly doubt this means ADS is coming to Halo. Chances are it's an aesthetic change and a reduction in the BR's zoom.

Something I think I would be okay with. It'd allow them to nerf the DMR slightly whilst still keeping it as a viable medium to long range weapon. Whereas the BR would become a short to medium range weapon.

Or it might not change the gameplay at all and just be a model change.

Fracas

#fuckonami
People are seriously jumping to conclusions regarding the red dot site. I highly, highly doubt this means ADS is coming to Halo. Chances are it's an aesthetic change and a reduction in the BR's zoom.

Something I think I would be okay with. It'd allow them to nerf the DMR slightly whilst still keeping it as a viable medium to long range weapon. Whereas the BR would become a short to medium range weapon.

Yup. I'd imagine it's to differentiate between a short/med ranged weapon in the BR vs the long range DMR. Now only one has a scope. It's probably just aesthetic.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Adding ADS to Halo would be a sure fire way for 343 to ruin any remaining trust they have with their fan base. There's no way they'll do it. At the very most, I could see them adding it to close range weapons (AR, SMG, shotty, etc), which I think I'd be okay with.

Fuchsdh

I want to the SMG in action, it would be my favorite close combat weapon depending of its utility

The question is, what's its utility? Where we left off in Halo 4, you had the SAW as a power weapon with close range, and the AR as a short-to-medium range weapon with a shallow clip. So is the SMG just going to serve as the bullethose like the CE AR? Because there's not really any other point to it that I can see.

Also, if you haven't taken a glance at the press shots there's some nice ones in there. The Elites look pretty solid, an interesting blend of Halo 2 and 3 silhouettes with some Reach touches.

Adding ADS to Halo would be a sure fire way for 343 to ruin any remaining trust they have with their fan base. There's no way they'll do it. At the very most, I could see them adding it to close range weapons (AR, SMG, shotty, etc), which I think I'd be okay with.
Then close range fights would come down to who ads's first

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Then close range fights would come down to who ads's first
Yeah. My first thought was "it could have no effect on bullet spread", but ADSing would still make people more tunnel visioned and less mobile, which would have adverse effects on the gameplay for little / no pay off.

-Ryn

Banned
Should've drank some coffee and stayed awake.The water looks GORGEOUS! I feel like I can drink it with my Spartans face.

Little dissapointed about the lack of larger game modes for the beta but it's fine. The beta seems to be emphasizing the presence of arena coming back. I just hope we can get some info on the larger game modes soon (a little before or after the beta).

I highly doubt ADS will ever be a thing.

The weapons look really good but the sword model is weird. Might be the angle? I hope we aren't losing the Rocket Launcher for this tube thing (Bazooka?). Looks like it could be anti vehicle like others have said.

FyreWulff

All great news today, but please god, don't let Halo 5 be ADS. It would ruin the game for me.

Why not?

quoting a post I made a while back on HBO

http://forums.bungie.org/halo/archive35.pl?read=1054300 said:
4) In ELO, it's possible to lose rank for winning. It's happened in chess many times, and it even happened to me in Halo 2. I earned a 32-33 in the Ranked BTB playlist before the big wipe - I had about 700 games completed of BTB at that point. One night, we had an amazing run with a full party of 8 where people in the party went from 22 to 27-28. I was ranked down to 29-28 from WINNING because all the people that were left were no higher than rank 15-17. I thought it was hilarious myself, but someone hardcore about rank would have been livid. But this is a result of ELO - it is designed to punish someone for playing someone far below their rank, and to stay near people of their own rank. Of course, that is counter productive to

5) Halo 2's ranking system was also used in matchmaking, in both ranked and social (guests allowed) playlists. Since the rating system encouraged you to play people near their ranks, you'd end up with massive gaps of rank. Since there were massive gaps of rank, when people stopped playing the game it would result in epic search times.

Everyone was clumped together into little islands of skill. When population dropped due to competing games and the launch of the Xbox 360, this islands could disappear practically overnight, causing a chain reaction of people moving to other playlists or just not playing Halo 2 anymore due to search times.

The only way to fix this was, of course, to reset the ranks. While I personally didn't mind, people who had marched to a 50 somehow legitimately were screwed. They had to do this 3 times. Once for the Big Update, second time was in mid-2006 when they issued a big anti-cheat patch, and the last one was when the Blastacular Map Pack came out. The first one was sort of a given since the game had dramatically changed. The others were to simply to keep matchmaking working.

My hope here is that what is actually happen is they are using Halo 2 ranks as display only, acting exactly like the original system.

But under that system, they're running the modern LIVE skill matching system with the invisible skill rankings you can't see. That way you get good skill matches, search times don't tank, and they never need to reset the display H2 ranks. Otherwise all the problems solved since 2004 will come right back.

Not true at all. The BR received a drastic aesthetic change from the H2/H3 version to the Halo 4 version and it's effectively the same weapon (post "turbo" update albeit). The red dot site could just be that: an aesthetic change.

If it serves any real purpose maybe it's just to visually differentiate the role differences between DMR and BR. The DMR having a larger scope visually says it's a long range weapon while comparatively the BR having a red dot site says that it's more of a mid range weapon (which is true).

Of course this is all just speculation on my part. I have no idea why they gave the BR a red dot site.

Dub117

Not true at all. The BR received a drastic aesthetic change from the H2/H3 version to the Halo 4 version and it's effectively the same weapon (post "turbo" update albeit). The red dot site could just be that: an aesthetic change.

If it serves any real purpose maybe it's just to visually differentiate the role differences between DMR and BR. The DMR having a larger scope visually says it's a long range weapon while comparatively the BR having a red dot site says that it's more of a mid range weapon (which is true).

Of course this is all just speculation on my part. I have no idea why they gave the BR a red dot site.
"Hey, let's put a red dot on it see how many people will talk about this while we sit here and laugh, because we have no intentions of putting in ADS!"

Top Bottom