• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HaloGAF |OT: Anniversary| So fades the great harvest of our betrayal.

Homeboyd

I want them to go back to Arena/Classic Halo. They showed BR.gif and HaloGAF was all atwitter. then they dropped Perks, cant drop flag, no assault and everything else.

i just dont want them to do that again, we've not had a real arena halo since 3. i want that type of halo back. not all these changes just to seemingly distance themselves from bungie.
Does the stuff they're now saying about halo 5 not lead you to believe they're heading back in that direction?

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
Does the stuff they're now saying about halo 5 not lead you to believe they're heading back in that direction?

Halo 4 sounded great at the beginning

Start with cautious optimism.

The midship clip says one thing to me, though. Set weapon locations are back. Die ordnance, DIEEEEE

I really wish halo 5 ends up being a culmination of the best of halo.

I prefered the slayer in h4, the BTB from h3 (dumbed down objective) and 4v4 objective from H2 (flag contesting, slower flag movement, slow bomb arming)

They need to take the best ideas and scrap all the garbage that made its way into the franchise after H3

defghik

Can you tell me how how Elo actually worked and H3's didn't?

Halo 3 doesn't let you lose rank for winning because it matched you against people too far below you.

Halo 3 finds your skill quickly.

Halo 3 never had a rank reset. Halo 2's Elo is not a matter of if the ranks will be reset, but when. It's unavoidable.

Couple things: From everything I've read, Halo 2's system was only based on ELO, it wasn't actually ELO. I played well over 20,000 games of Halo 2 XBL on several different gamertags, and was heavily involved in the community, but I never once saw or even heard of somebody losing a rank from winning a game. Reaing this breakdown, it seems to be impossible to lose a rank from winning a game.

Second, Halo 2 ranks were only reset twice - once when the 1.1 TU was released, and then again in '07 with the release of the Blastacular pack. There was no 2006 rank reset.

My experience of Halo 2 vs 3's ranking system was that Halo 2's was far more straightforward and easy to understand, and that it led to much higher quality matches. I know you complained that rank compression was a big deal in Halo 2, but I felt as a player that far more often than not I was ranked with people reasonably close to my skill level (something I can't say at all about Halo 3). Halo 3 also had the problem that 50s were so easy to get that there were huge disparities in skill level among players with 50s (and I thought this pretty much from day 1, before the boosting/account selling thing started to take off).

And can you explain how you got clumped into groups like you showed in this graph? I'm not really sure how this makes sense.

tuHxH.png

Really good post on HBO overall though, very informative and interesting. You seem to know your stuff.

daedalius

Not sure if this has been posted but here is some 1080p 60fps gameplay on Sanc. Buttery smooth and cookie crisp.

http://www.gamersyde.com/thqstream_halo_2_anniversary_mp_sanctuary_shrine_gameplay_60fps-ME1rNlxC1G6N0zMe_en.html

Frankie if you are around I have a question about H1 BG. Are we getting the PC variant of BG with the fuel rod gun, rocket hog, and banshee? That makes a pretty big difference and haven't seen anyone ask yet.

This was awesome to watch, 1080p60fps looks great. Although I could still see quite a bit of compression in the video.

60fps is going to be an adjustment!

blamite

Very impressed with what we saw today. I'm still not 100% sold yet, and I'm not about to run out and buy an Xbone anytime soon, but I'm still feeling much more positive about Halo than I have in a really long time.

There's still some stuff I'm not happy with, like the red-dot sight on the BR (not because I think it means 343 wants to do ADS, just 'cause it looks bad) and the fact that the H5 maps we saw aren't particularly convincing of 343's map design sense, but overall I'm satisfied... for now. I'm still waiting for the other shoe to drop, as it did with H4, but I'm looking forward to trying this stuff out on a friend's Xbox.

(re: medals, yeah, the new ones are pretty ugly but I've honestly given up on caring about those, as long as they're given out like free candy and mostly pretty worthless I can't be bothered to care about what they look like. BUT CAN WE PLEASE GET SEPARATE MEDALS FOR PLASMA GRENADE STICKS AND REGULAR, NON-STICK PLASMA KILLS?)

defghik

The medals are turds on a plaque though. Just bite the bullet and reinstate the original Bungie medals.

Sanctuary looks stunning, particularly the waterfall effects.

Delta Halo looked a little rough on the stream, not that I really care about Halo 2's campaign.

Love that they redesigned the snipe for h2 anni multi. Carbine and SMG also sounding very good. Don't like the sound of the BR nor its reticle. Why have both Bungie and 343 struggled with finding a satisfying bass and kick to that weapons audio? It's only ever sounded like it should in the original H2.

Still persisting with the completely redundant but mildly distracting reticle flare on the sniper. Why?

Good stuff overall. Dreaming of H3 at 60 FPS now.

One of my biggest complaints about Bungie and 343 is that they seem to LOVE change just for the sake of change, regardless of whether or not it's a good thing. The inferior medal designs and weapons sounds (like the BR) is just a small example of this tendency.

Medals used to be exciting and fun to look at, especially when popping up on the screen.. Now it's a damn shame that people are ready to give up on them because of a few bad entries.

343 pls, do something about this.

Homeboyd

before Halo 4 i was a cautious optimist and after it, 343 has to prove something before i take their words on a level that i took bungie.
Right but what I'm asking is.. Why say this today...? I'm with you 100%, I'm just curious why all this is being said today of all days. I get that ppl were optimistic about halo 4 prior to launch, but there's nothing anyone could do other than wait to play the game to make their own decision about its quality.

I guess what I'm saying is; is the stuff you're saying about Halo's direction today unrelated to the announcements today or is it a result of what you've seen/heard today? The former makes sense... The latter doesn't. Unless you've seen/heard something today that I haven't. Again, I get that they said similar things prior to halo 4, but I'm curious what you think anyone can really do about halo 5's direction since all we've heard about halo 5 is what we've heard today.

-Ryn

Banned
So if Coagulation does turn out to be a "Forge World" of sorts for the collection that would possibly explain the openings in the canyon that the concept art had. This is assuming of course the actual map has those. If it does how big could the map be? Is it possible they might do something like sandbox had instead with multiple levels? What do you guys think?

Theater probably won't get a huge upgrade for the collection. Forge on the other hand...

If they were to use the MCC has a sort of test for some new ideas with Forge or even just a preview of what Halo 5 has in store that would great. I remember speculation on the "vehicle bridge" (blegh) being a forge piece and that actually sounds plausible. I mean we haven't really had truly interactive forge objects before so that would be a great addition.

Right but what I'm asking is.. Why say this today...? I'm with you 100%, I'm just curious why all this is being said today of all days. I get that ppl were optimistic about halo 4 prior to launch, but there's nothing anyone could do other than wait to play the game to make their own decision about its quality.

I guess what I'm saying is; is the stuff you're saying about Halo's direction today unrelated to the announcements today or is it a result of what you've seen/heard today? The former makes sense... The latter doesn't. Unless you've seen/heard something today that I haven't. Again, I get that they said similar things prior to halo 4, but I'm curious what you think anyone can really do about halo 5's direction since all we've heard about halo 5 is what we've heard today.

I've been saying this since Halo 4 launched.
and i still get labeled with the "salt label'

the difference now is we have a beta; the downside to that is that 343 will potentially only listen to the Waypoint forums (which very well may not be the case) for feedback leaving those without access to it to not have a voice.

What it boils down to really is that, Yeah 343 is showing us what they know we'll like. but what are they not showing us. I just want everyone to be cautious.

I've been saying this since Halo 4 launched.
and i still get labeled with the "salt label'

the difference now is we have a beta; the downside to that is that 343 will potentially only listen to the Waypoint forums (which very well may not be the case) for feedback leaving those without access to it to not have a voice.

What it boils down to really is that, Yeah 343 is showing us what they know we'll like. but what are they not showing us. I just want everyone to be cautious.

d6f.jpg

FyreWulff

Couple things: From everything I've read, Halo 2's system was only based on ELO, it wasn't actually ELO. I played well over 20,000 games of Halo 2 XBL on several different gamertags, and was heavily involved in the community, but I never once saw or even heard of somebody losing a rank from winning a game. Reaing this breakdown, it seems to be impossible to lose a rank from winning a game.

I hate to say this, but I know it happened because it happened to me. I joined a party in ranked BTB as a 32 and got slowly deranked to 30 or so because the game kept matching us with 14s and below (the population was really bad at this point.) It has happened in Elo era chess as well - I believe it was Bobby Fischer that actually got deranked from a win once as well because his Elo rating was so high. It's built into Elo to discourage high level players from feeding on lower level players.

Second, Halo 2 ranks were only reset twice - once when the 1.1 TU was released, and then again in '07 with the release of the Blastacular pack. There was no 2006 rank reset.

My experience of Halo 2 vs 3's ranking system was that Halo 2's was far more straightforward and easy to understand, and that it led to much higher quality matches. I know you complained that rank compression was a big deal in Halo 2, but I felt as a player that far more often than not I was ranked with people reasonably close to my skill level (something I can't say at all about Halo 3). Halo 3 also had the problem that 50s were so easy to get that there were huge disparities in skill level among players with 50s (and I thought this pretty much from day 1, before the boosting/account selling thing started to take off).

The quality of matches is not Trueskill's fault persay, but due to a separate toggle that existed in Halo 3 onwards at the playlist level where Bungie could make a playlist be super strict about skill matching or loose about skill matching. The downside to super strict is it absolutely tanks search times. It's why the Arena in Reach had much slower matchmaking but more competitive games most of the time skill wise. The toggle could go from super strict to "give them practically anyone". Unranked lists had invisible TS and pretty much had the "give almost anyone" setting on.

And can you explain how you got clumped into groups like you showed in this graph? I'm not really sure how this makes sense.

As the population drops out in Elo from playlist fatigue/other games coming about, the areas with most people of a certain skill make it harder to gain rank to get away from them. The math behind Trueskill helps prevent this effect and you can progress through the skill ranks and get matches even with few people in the intermediate ranks.

tl;dr Halo 2 basically became "Crabs in a bucket" mode once the population started leaving.

did you not see the parentheses? or are you parentheses blind

I'm just confused as to why you think they'll only listen to the waypoint forums, that may have been true a few years ago, but I often see Bravo and other people from 343 visit the Beyond forums, and Frank/Ellis frequent these forums. And even if that was true, there has been more and more competitive players as well as Halo 4 skeptics becoming vocal whenever I go on there. The whole waypoint schtick hasn't been relevant in well over a year.

I'm just confused as to why you think they'll only listen to the waypoint forums, that may have been true a few years ago, but I often see Bravo and other people from 343 visit the Beyond forums, and Frank/Ellis frequent these forums. And even if that was true, there has been more and more competitive players as well as Halo 4 skeptics becoming vocal whenever I go on there. The whole waypoint schtick hasn't been relevant in well over a year.

honestly, imo beyond is just as slrpy as waypoint. queue Cyren
. and if they actually listen to HaloGAF then i'll change my tone. but if its just Beyond and waypoint, and not like IronGaming or HBO or /r/Halo then its a moot point to say they are listening to the "Community"

They did a great job on Delta Halo. I even hear Peril :)

Pretty sure I chubbed up when I heard Peril in the background. I hate to nitpick but can we please get volume sliders for music vs. effects vs. voices? In this video it sounded a bit like Halo 4 mixing that the background music was too quiet.

I know it's by design for the weapons to sound visceral, to use PR speak, but I'd really like the ability to pump up the music levels.

I just got around to watching the H2A footage and OH MY GODDDDD

60FPS looks so good with Halo. Took me a minute to adjust, but when I did it looked perfect. So far I honestly have zero complaints about the look of H2A minus the "flatness" of the Elite shielding. It's honestly exactly what I'd ask for from a remake of Halo 2 on XBO hardware - it looks a lot more faithful to Halo 2 overall (albeit I considered CEA's look over CE's stylistically a massive improvement) and works extremely well within the confines of having the original graphics underneath. Things are surprisingly rich in contrast to the really muted green-purple-gray-brown that governed the original's colors, and the matte-ness of it compared to how glossy CE and CEA were is nice, again, it feels really faithful.

I love how visible flame kicks up beneath the smoke of the frags Metal Slug-style, too. I hope that gets worked into Halo 5 rather than the usual "even radial distribution of near-instant heat and smoke" that most grenades pull.

Dear god.

HRckUlX.png

BigShow36

I'm confused as to why anyone thinks any Halo developer listens to people on forums, or would even want a developer to listen to a forum's consensus opinion? The consensus opinions of forums regarding pretty much anything are terrible, and I would hate for a developer to actually listen to that garbage. Unfortunately, intelligent people who developers should be listening to get lost in the idiocy.

I'm confused as to why anyone thinks any Halo developer listens to people on forums, or would even want a developer to listen to a forum's consensus opinion? The consensus opinions of forums regarding pretty much anything are terrible, and I would hate for a developer to actually listen to that garbage. Unfortunately, intelligent people who developers should be listening to get lost in the idiocy.

Because they've explicitly said that they want player's feedback. People's opinions can be terrible, but luckily, they fucking test ideas and make sure for the most part that ideas aren't broken as hell. They did their own thing with Halo 4 and they realized it flopped, now they're going to listen to the people who know best what the franchise needs, its fans.

Top Bottom