• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HaloGAF |OT: Anniversary| So fades the great harvest of our betrayal.

Daria

I'm assuming the Halo 2 ranking is purely visual and they're using a modern skillmatch system under it.

There's no way in the Year Of Our Lord 2014 that someone is actually using Halo 2's ranking system for anything that actually matters.

There was a screenshot of a tweet posted in one thread from the H2 MP dev that said it was the same as H2 but brought up to modern times? Don't quote me on that but I'll try to find the picture.

Karl2177

The shields on Elites look a lot more pronounced than CEA. That being said, the flat look of them seems a little odd. I'm guessing they have to be flat to look obvious, since they don't have the hit animations from Reach in default Halo 2.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
quoting a post I made a while back on HBO

My hope here is that what is actually happen is they are using Halo 2 ranks as display only, acting exactly like the original system.

But under that system, they're running the modern LIVE skill matching system with the invisible skill rankings you can't see. That way you get good skill matches, search times don't tank, and they never need to reset the display H2 ranks. Otherwise all the problems solved since 2004 will come right back.

After many halo games, ELO has been the only thing that actually worked.

FyreWulff

After many halo games, ELO has been the only thing that actually worked.

Can you tell me how how Elo actually worked and H3's didn't?

Halo 3 doesn't let you lose rank for winning because it matched you against people too far below you.

Halo 3 finds your skill quickly.

Halo 3 never had a rank reset. Halo 2's Elo is not a matter of if the ranks will be reset, but when. It's unavoidable.

The question is, what's its utility? Where we left off in Halo 4, you had the SAW as a power weapon with close range, and the AR as a short-to-medium range weapon with a shallow clip. So is the SMG just going to serve as the bullethose like the CE AR? Because there's not really any other point to it that I can see.

Also, if you haven't taken a glance at the press shots there's some nice ones in there. The Elites look pretty solid, an interesting blend of Halo 2 and 3 silhouettes with some Reach touches.

Would be the equivalent to the storm rifle then? The SAW is bad in close range but better at medium range and keeping your distance to make it work efficiently.

The few times I used the SMG were more to go close and kill the enemy

You know what's great?

NO MORE +10 IN THE MIDDLE OF THE SCREEN.

The medals are turds on a plaque though. Just bite the bullet and reinstate the original Bungie medals.

Sanctuary looks stunning, particularly the waterfall effects.

Delta Halo looked a little rough on the stream, not that I really care about Halo 2's campaign.

Love that they redesigned the snipe for h2 anni multi. Carbine and SMG also sounding very good. Don't like the sound of the BR nor its reticle. Why have both Bungie and 343 struggled with finding a satisfying bass and kick to that weapons audio? It's only ever sounded like it should in the original H2.

Still persisting with the completely redundant but mildly distracting reticle flare on the sniper. Why?

Good stuff overall. Dreaming of H3 at 60 FPS now.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Out of the loadouts (weapon sets?) they showed, my only concern are the plasma grenades. If those are available at spawn in BTB I'm gonna be pretty bummed.

Madness

I'm almost positive Frankie mentioned them being placeholder, but I could be wrong.

They removed the +10 and white text from middle of the screen, so hopefully they're still working on it. I wouldn't mind reverting to the older medals, they had a more distinct look. Or to come up with newer ones. Though I think they'll probably do that for H5?

Fuchsdh

Would be the equivalent to the storm rifle then? The SAW is bad in close range but better at medium range and keeping your distance to make it work efficiently.

The few times I used the SMG were more to go close and kill the enemy

Could be. But personally I only really felt the difference between the Suppressor and the AR--the Storm Rifle's differences felt too tiny to register. It didn't help that it was one of the weaker feeling weapons.

On that note, I can't say any of the weapons sound bad in the new version, I'm just annoyed that we keep on having to reinvent the wheel with weapon sounds.

belushy

Banned
One thing I noticed with the H5 Middy map is there doesn't seem to be a place for a big scoreboard (like from the H5 beta trailer from E3.) I thought that idea was neat, but I guess it wouldn't really fit into the whole covenant palette.

Any idea where you heard/read this? I could certainly see them being placeholder. I could also see them saying fuck it and using them again. Supes worried. Totes big deal.

I think he posted here on GAF about it once. Again, don't take my word for it. It's a relatively fuzzy memory but I'm confident in it.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
Can you tell me how how Elo actually worked and H3's didn't?

Halo 3 doesn't let you lose rank for winning because it matched you against people too far below you.

Halo 3 finds your skill quickly.

Halo 3 never had a rank reset. Halo 2's Elo is not a matter of if the ranks will be reset, but when. It's unavoidable.

Halo 3 ranking was the worst. You soared to rank position, which isn't how it should work. Majority of people on my friends were max level... and we definitely weren't the best in all of Halo. In halo 2 we were all generally 32-40. Without the cheaters I still think I would not have hit level 50.

You didn't lose rank as quickly. ELO wasn't perfect but it was the best system.

You pick out very rare anomaly as a downside... but then you praise halo 3 which has absolutely zero upside. It doesn't find skill, at all.

Madness

I wonder how H2A maps, stack up to the Halo 5 beta maps. I mean I've just been watching that 60fps footage over and over, and Sanctuary actually looks pretty great. Really feels like next-gen Halo.

Woorloog

Banned
Reticle flares are unnecessary and make me think of Reach, bloom and other games that have aiming that isn't Halo's static-at-all-times reticles.

Very useful for AR and other automatics though. Don't want that flare for those to go away. For other weapons, like the sniper though... we don't need that.

Fuchsdh

Popped down my preorder for the Sunset Overdrive console. Someone who doesn't want their Kinect should sell it to me.

Very useful for AR and other automatics though. Don't want that flare for those to go away. For other weapons, like the sniper though... we don't need that.

Reticle flares used to really bother me, but now I quite enjoy them. I dunno how effective they actually are at conveying bullet spread and controlling player's heavy trigger fingers, though.

Reticle flares used to really bother me, but now I quite enjoy them. I dunno how effective they actually are at conveying bullet spread and controlling player's heavy trigger fingers, though.

Yeah, I don't think it really helps much for a game like Halo. People were fine from 2001-2010 before Reach came around.

Woorloog

Banned
Yeah, I don't think it really helps much for a game like Halo. People were fine from 2001-2010 before Reach came around.

Sure helps with burst firing with AR. Trying to burst with it was a pain in the ass in Halo 3... but perhaps its spread was high regardless of how long you fired...

I can feel the salt through my screen.

The needler sounded fucking sick, btw.

its just that No one is thinking objectively, its just "343 show good thing" "we like" "343 no do bad"
and seemingly forget all the shit that was Halo 4 and the fact that they had a working classic Halo and scrapped it.
objectively, they can fuck up so much.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
its just that No one is thinking objectively, its just "343 show good thing" "we like" "343 no do bad"
and seemingly forget all the shit that was Halo 4 and the fact that they had a working classic Halo and scrapped it.
You think you have to warn HaloGAF to be skeptical of 343? We're responding to things that we like positively. We're also responding to things we don't like with criticism. You're quoting PR lines from two years ago.

Fracas

#fuckonami
It's like a somehow worse version of me

Though I still don't care about H5 until I actually play the beta extensively

Homeboyd

So what are you trying to achieve here? What is it about today that leads you to believe they're bringing back halo 4 style and design decisions again? What do you want them to do?

Actual questions.

Nowise10

I hope that this has been said, but I really hope 343 changes Team Slayer in Halo 2 Anniversary. Bungie even said SMG starts was a bad idea in Halo 2, yet the demo they have today is SMG, Plasma Rifle, or Pistol starts. Why can't it just be BR/Carbine starts if anything? I hate getting killed, just because I spawn with a shitty weapon, and someone else picked up a BR.

FyreWulff

I hope that this has been said, but I really hope 343 changes Team Slayer in Halo 2 Anniversary. Bungie even said SMG starts was a bad idea in Halo 2, yet the demo they have today is SMG, Plasma Rifle, or Pistol starts. Why can't it just be BR/Carbine starts if anything? I hate getting killed, just because I spawn with a shitty weapon, and someone else picked up a BR.

didyouknow_smgstarts.jpg

it's canon

So what are you trying to achieve here? What is it about today that leads you to believe they're bringing back halo 4 style and design decisions again? What do you want them to do?

Actual questions.

I want them to go back to Arena/Classic Halo. They showed BR.gif and HaloGAF was all atwitter. then they dropped Perks, cant drop flag, no assault and everything else.

i just dont want them to do that again, we've not had a real arena halo since 3. i want that type of halo back. not all these changes just to seemingly distance themselves from bungie.

Top Bottom