• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HaloGAF |OT: Anniversary| So fades the great harvest of our betrayal.

JonCha

Halo 4 sounded great at the beginning

Start with cautious optimism.

The midship clip says one thing to me, though. Set weapon locations are back. Die ordnance, DIEEEEE

I really wish halo 5 ends up being a culmination of the best of halo.

I prefered the slayer in h4, the BTB from h3 (dumbed down objective) and 4v4 objective from H2 (flag contesting, slower flag movement, slow bomb arming)

They need to take the best ideas and scrap all the garbage that made its way into the franchise after H3

I'm still waiting to hear about these new abilities they have. I always worry how you can make them balanced and not OP.

It looks like it's got a focus rifle style bits on it to me. It doesn't look that bad actually.

Nope, it's straight up the Halo 2 design.
ParticleBeamRifle-Halo2.png
It's crazy how close the aesthetic of that level is to the original. Seems like Saber aren't really stylising everything to the point that they did in CEA.

Not sure if I prefer it that way or not. At the very least I'd like to have seen weather effects or something applied to a few levels. That area on Delta Halo would look great with some volumetric fog for example

I much prefer them keeping the aesthetics the same. So far I am much more pleased with H2A than I was with CEA. There are a few little things that annoy me though, like the Beam Rifle and Plasma Rifle being purple instead of blue. That being said the specular on some of the Covenant stuff looks amazing, the ghost looks absolutely perfect. I cannot wait to see High Charity.

Nowise10

They should turn the volume of the Halo 2 Anniversary music up just a bit. The weapon/walking sounds are really loud compared to classic Halo 2 and its masking out the music. I feel like Halo:CEA had the same behavior.

Nope, it's straight up the Halo 2 design.

I much prefer them keeping the aesthetics the same. So far I am much more pleased with H2A than I was with CEA. There are a few little things that annoy me though, like the Beam Rifle and Plasma Rifle being purple instead of blue. That being said the specular on some of the Covenant stuff looks amazing, the ghost looks absolutely perfect. I cannot wait to see High Charity.

I don't know how much we're going to see before release, but High Charity and Quarantine Zone are probably going to be pretty big "wow" moments for me.

I never got why the Beam Rifle had the needler-esque crystals on despite it not firing needle ammunition.

I don't know how much we're going to see before release, but High Charity and Quarantine Zone are probably going to be pretty big "wow" moments for me.
I hope they add a lot to the skyboxes of those, especially high charity. I want it to look more like a city.
I never got why the Beam Rifle had the needler-esque crystals on despite it not firing needle ammunition.
Because it's purdy. The Covies are fashionistas after all.

CyReN

Did they confirm spectator mode on that stream or am I hearing things?

There isn't a true spectator mode from what was said awhile back in the bulletin, but with the new screenshots people are speculating we could see some kind of interrogation with scores and stuff on the Halo Channel and twitchtv streaming.

Woorloog

Banned
But Woorloog I wanted to splatter you! :(

Didn't quit, just the fucking router decided to fuck things up...
Anyway, gotta make some pizza now, and then watch Terminator 2 so i don't think i will be playing anymore today.

Oh and that map sucks, terrible framerate...

Defect

Why even have gametypes in H2A with loadouts?

It'll be the "Elite Slayer" of the game. It won't be as bad of course, but you still don't want to play it.

FyreWulff

Personally I think get rid of Elites altogether in mutli. Spartans or bust!

boo hiss

elite 4ever ride or die

Green / purple teams were awesome too.

They actually explained why that was changed.. the way the engine worked, the Spartans became purple and the Elites became green when the sides switched. They made it red/blue to keep the team identity consistent across all modes. I think Jonnyothan also said green/purple had issues with colorblind players

boo hiss

elite 4ever ride or die

They actually explained why that was changed.. the way the engine worked, the Spartans became purple and the Elites became green when the sides switched. They made it red/blue to keep the team identity consistent across all modes. I think Jonnyothan also said green/purple had issues with colorblind players

shh only dreams now

Yeah I remember hearing that too

Dub117

I never played halo 2 on live, only LAN, but I keep seeing it was way harder to get to 50. Did anyone have a 50 in H2? Is the new system going to be exactly like it, or just use elo but be easier to level in?

I never played halo 2 on live, only LAN, but I keep seeing it was way harder to get to 50. Did anyone have a 50 in H2? Is the new system going to be exactly like it, or just use elo but be easier to level in?
Don't think anyone did. The game was amazing online back in the day. Was a 22 within 24 hours of playing it.

FyreWulff

I don't think a legit 50 ever existed

Partly because of the math to get to it, and partly because everyone at 50 was a modder, so even if you somehow got legitimately near it, modders would send you right back down

JonCha

I don't think a legit 50 ever existed

Partly because of the math to get to it, and partly because everyone at 50 was a modder, so even if you somehow got legitimately near it, modders would send you right back down

So how doesn't that result in the problem like Halo 3 where you could actually be good but be on a lower level than you should because of being pushed down all the time? There should be a way so the system stabilise at the level where you stagnate (ie don't keep moving upwards).

belushy

Banned
There isn't a true spectator mode from what was said awhile back in the bulletin, but with the new screenshots people are speculating we could see some kind of interrogation with scores and stuff on the Halo Channel and twitchtv streaming.

Definitely not a true to form spectator mode, but the Halo Channel will pull stats from XBox Live, at least that is what I took out of it and post them live for whatever stream. Not really useful for Lan tournaments, but online tournaments might be able to use it considering all the pros that have started streaming lately.

FyreWulff

So how doesn't that result in the problem like Halo 3 where you could actually be good but be on a lower level than you should because of being pushed down all the time? There should be a way so the system stabilise at the level where you stagnate (ie don't keep moving upwards).

A system that locks you into an eventual rank would lead to rampant second accounting to try to get to 50 before being level locked.

That being said, Trueskill does eventually stabilize and you have to get more and more convincing wins to get to 50

JonCha

A system that locks you into an eventual rank would lead to rampant second accounting to try to get to 50 before being level locked.

That being said, Trueskill does eventually stabilize and you have to get more and more convincing wins to get to 50

I think he meant stabilize as make it more difficult to get out of that rank rather than outright forcing you to keep it.

It does do that. More games recorded = more stable rank

Which makes it harder to get to a rank you should arguably be at without making second accounts?

This is what happened in Halo 3: I could win loads of games in the 40s, not go up, then lose a game and go down. How is that fair? Consistently winning should mean I level up, surely.

Allow me to confirm it. The teamkilling I did....

"Whoa, the aim assist versus enemy players is so low! I can't believe Bungie's actually increasing the skill ceiling."

I have this image in my head of you using this an excuse with your friends even though Spartans and Elites were just about always on opposite teams in the first place.

FyreWulff

This is what happened in Halo 3: I could win loads of games in the 40s, not go up, then lose a game and go down. How is that fair? Consistently winning should mean I level up, surely.

Wins alone don't matter, it also depended on the levels of people you beat. If you could find the games on Bungie.net for me I could look at them and see what happened.

JonCha

Wins alone don't matter, it also depended on the levels of people you beat. If you could find the games on Bungie.net for me I could look at them and see what happened.

Thanks, but it's honestly not that much of an issue. It was an ongoing thing in the last year or two of playing H3 and it always seemed unfair to me. Oh well.

FyreWulff

Thanks, but it's honestly not that much of an issue. It was an ongoing thing in the last year or two of playing H3 and it always seemed unfair to me. Oh well.

No problem. I debugged a lot of ranking up questions on Optimatch, 99% of the time it was because all their wins were against people well below their level, and their rare losses were against higher levels. So while it feels like leveling up should happen, the system is assuming it has your level in the right spot.

I posted this in the other thread, but I wonder what the chance the Jackal and Grunt models in Halo 4 will be tweaked so that they match the models in all the other games? It's going to be a weird transition otherwise.

4LW8OQT.png

(Halo CEA, Halo 2A, Halo 3, Halo 4)

I know they retroactively (IIRC) explained them as a separate sub-species, but its going to be weird seeing 1-3 populated strictly by one, and 4 by another. Same with the Grunts. It would be cool to see a few of the Jackals and Grunts in Halo 4 replaced with the more familiar models.

It really isn't all that important, but it would help the visual language segue between the games.

Top Bottom