• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HaloGAF |OT: Anniversary| So fades the great harvest of our betrayal.

I posted this in the other thread, but I wonder what the chance the Jackal and Grunt models in Halo 4 will be tweaked so that they match the models in all the other games? It's going to be a weird transition otherwise.

4LW8OQT.png

(Halo CEA, Halo 2A, Halo 3, Halo 4)

I know they retroactively (IIRC) explained them as a separate sub-species, but its going to be weird seeing 1-3 populated strictly by one, and 4 by another. Same with the Grunts. It would be cool to see a few of the Jackals and Grunts in Halo 4 replaced with the more familiar models.

It really isn't all that important, but it would help the visual language segue between the games.

Wasted of jackal design since the few ones in Halo 4 have a mask.

Dub117

Don't think anyone did. The game was amazing online back in the day. Was a 22 within 24 hours of playing it.

I don't think a legit 50 ever existed

Partly because of the math to get to it, and partly because everyone at 50 was a modder, so even if you somehow got legitimately near it, modders would send you right back down
Oh ok, the modders sending you down makes sense. I hope the best of the best can get a 50 in this system, and hopefully no modders.

Fuchsdh

I posted this in the other thread, but I wonder what the chance the Jackal and Grunt models in Halo 4 will be tweaked so that they match the models in all the other games? It's going to be a weird transition otherwise.

4LW8OQT.png

(Halo CEA, Halo 2A, Halo 3, Halo 4)

I know they retroactively (IIRC) explained them as a separate sub-species, but its going to be weird seeing 1-3 populated strictly by one, and 4 by another. Same with the Grunts. It would be cool to see a few of the Jackals and Grunts in Halo 4 replaced with the more familiar models.

It really isn't all that important, but it would help the visual language segue between the games.

It'd be cool, but not going to happen.

Visual continuity stuff has always been annoying but Bungie and to my knowledge any other game developer has never really tried to do much to address it (the Jackals suddenly lost all their helmets, the Brutes went from all furry to all armored, the Warthogs magically changed while Chief was in cryo.)

Woorloog

Banned
I must be the only one to like the godzilla jackals.

I like them too... but i would prefer them mixed with other Jackals. Alone they feel slightly out of place, though they're recognizably Jackals still.
The new Grunts... honestly, i have no problem with them either, though they are the oddest of redesigns. They're my least favorite thing though.
Halo 4 Elites are something i really like though i'd prefer them to have darker skinned variations too. The original Halo 2 Elites are the best still though.
And i wouldn't mind seeing some variations of the Hunters... as long as they have drum-shaped gel stores for their gun, not those silly spikey-things they have in Halo 3 and Reach and 4.

jem0208

I like them too... but i would prefer them mixed with other Jackals. Alone they feel slightly out of place, though they're recognizably Jackals still.
The new Grunts... honestly, i have no problem with them either, though they are the oddest of redesigns. They're my least favorite thing though.
Halo 4 Elites are something i really like though i'd prefer them to have darker skinned variations too. The original Halo 2 Elites are the best still though.
And i wouldn't mind seeing some variations of the Hunters... as long as they have drum-shaped gel stores for their gun, not those silly spikey-things they have in Halo 3 and Reach and 4.

I actually really like the redesigns. They make the Covenant seem much more alien and scary rather than a bunch of goofy looking things. I really dislike the original Jackals, 4's variant is far better IMO.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
I actually really like the redesigns. They make the Covenant seem much more alien and scary rather than a bunch of goofy looking things. I really dislike the original Jackals, 4's variant is far better IMO.
How is a humanoid iguana any more alien than a humanoid bird thing?

Bungie nailed the grunts and jackals in Reach. That should be the benchmark for all eternity.

Woorloog

Banned

The funny thing about the original* Jackals is that i dislike them when i compare them to Halo 4 Jackals but don't have any issue with them if not comparing them.
I suspect that this is partially caused by the higher-detail model in Halo 4. (Can't recall how they looked in Reach)

*Ignoring that Halo CE and Halo 2 Jackals were rather different, i was rather surprised the first time i saw Halo 2 Jackal up close, i was like, "What? They have long jaw-beak-things?".

EDIT Also don't like Reach Grunts. There's something in them that looks... wrong. Halo 3 Grunts are okay but they're too dark, they had lighter skin before (Halo CE/2), i think, as well softer-looking skin.

jem0208

The funny thing about the original* Jackals is that i dislike them when i compare them to Halo 4 Jackals but don't have any issue with them if not comparing them.
I suspect that this is partially caused by the higher-detail model in Halo 4. (Can't recall how they looked in Reach)

*Ignoring that Halo CE and Halo 2 Jackals were rather different, i was rather surprised the first time i saw Halo 2 Jackal up close, i was like, "What? They have long jaw-beak-things?".

EDIT Also don't like Reach Grunts. There's something in them that looks... wrong. Halo 3 Grunts are okay but they're too dark, they had lighter skin before (Halo CE/2), i think, as well softer-looking skin.

I know what you mean, I didn't mind the old Jackals until I saw the new ones. Now they just look weird.

How is a humanoid iguana any more alien than a humanoid bird thing?

Bungie nailed the grunts and jackals in Reach. That should be the benchmark for all eternity.

I just think the old Jackals look dumb. I really don't like them when compared to the Halo 4 Jackals.

Woorloog

Banned
I didn't like how the new elites looked with out sleeves on their armor. Not even the Mda leader guy has them.

The only thing about Halo 4 Elites i don't like is how their shoulder armor is not attached to anything. It just kind of sticks to their shoulders... i mean, how? Glue?
They should have had some kind of harnesses or sleeves or something.

I didn't like how the new elites looked with out sleeves on their armor. Not even the Mda leader guy has them.

Yep, looks terrible, especially the ones with detached sleeves. Like, why?
So glad the Elites in H2A have full undersuits. Here's hoping that they have undersuits again in Halo 5.

Madness

But that's just it, why do the Covenant need to be "scary"? This isn't a horror game. The flood fit the scare role. The covenant need to be alien, chilling and terrifying, especially to humans. Remember the covenant isn't a homogenous race but made up of most of the sentient and intelligent species found so far (humanity excluded).

The jackals may have been goofy, but they were differentiated from the short and fat grunts, the tall and muscular elites, the almost rhino/gorilla like Brutes etc.

The new redesigns made them all look so similar. Same type of skin, arms and facial structure in a sense. I hate the new jackal design so much, even more than the wife beater wearing elite look and I'm so glad Saber did the traditional designs and hope 343 brings it back for H5.

Aren't the Elites in Halo 4 pretty much a ragtag gang of zealots that scrapped together what they could from the Covenant Empire?

I like some of the new designs, but what do I know...

EDIT: I guess I agree with Madness though, the different Covenant races are starting to blend together in terms visual identity.

Close. They were an isolated colony/sect that had no idea the war was over. Jul used that to his advantage, so her could have his own private army.

Mistel

Banned
Ignority the security safety rules for covenant stylish armor design are ok for 343's Elites I guess.
Introducing the new summer collection for you fashion conscious elites...
The only thing about Halo 4 Elites i don't like is how their shoulder armor is not attached to anything. It just kind of sticks to their shoulders... i mean, how? Glue?
They should have had some kind of harnesses or sleeves or something.
It does just float there for a majority of them the worst offender are the generals with their large shoulder plates that magically stay there.

Madness

Close. They were an isolated colony/sect that had no idea the war was over. Jul used that to his advantage, so her could have his own private army.

And yet this supposed isolated sect/colony had better galaxy traversal capabilities, better weapons, better structure and fighting ability than the Covenant together. Locating Requiem, boarding the broken section of floating Chief ship etc.

-Ryn

Banned
I'm in agreement with Madness on this one.

I hate when people say how the Covenant need to look scary or whatever and that this new design does that. No it doesn't. All it does is make all of them look more reptilian which isn't scary and I find it baffling that it's the go to response on how to make something more "terrifying".

Humans for example, don't look particularly scary, but they can be terrifying.

Sure the Grunts acted as the comic relief of the Covenant but that was fine. It gave them personality and made it all the more interesting when they didn't start fleeing whereas the Elites were the terrifying ones. They didn't need a reskin to be intimidating.

It's fine if 343 want to diversify the species (I thought the Skirmishers in Reach were a cool addition) but if they are going to do that they need to show them intermixed as opposed to just outright replacing the previous iteration. If they do that then it's fine because as Frankie once said way back when, "It expands the universe".

I actually do like some of the new designs in 4. Just not as outright redesigns. The Elites are intersting examples in that they don't seem like a redesign because the changes are mostly sublte. Certain changes to their structure are a bit weird though.

Of course not, I am saying about the clip when the arbiter is talking to Rtas, Rtas is not wearing full undersuit at all but more a Halo 4 esque design.

No, he isn't. you can clearly see his elbow and shoulders are covered by an undersuit. His neck is exposed, but the Elites in game are like that too. They are using the same designs between gameplay and cutscenes, Blur even said that was one of their priorities.
It's fine if 343 want to diversify the species (I thought the Skirmishers in Reach were a cool addition) but if they are going to do that they need to show them intermixed as opposed to just outright replacing the previous iteration. If they do that then it's fine because as Frankie once said way back when, "It expands the universe".
I'd like that. Either that or make the Halo 3/Reach designs friendlies and the Halo 4 designs enemies.

Fuchsdh

Yes but seeing the same design in Halo 2A cinematics (and in Forward unto dawn miniserie) is awkward

The FUD thing is somewhat unavoidable, considering the budget. If you had a Spartan Ops Elite sitting right there it saves you a lot of money buildings a new Elite and rigging it from scratch that can stand up to HD live action. It's the same reason the Jackals are H4 style and the rest of Blue Team is wearing slightly modified version of the Reach armor seen in the "Deliver Hope" short.

And yet this supposed isolated sect/colony had better galaxy traversal capabilities, better weapons, better structure and fighting ability than the Covenant together. Locating Requiem, boarding the broken section of floating Chief ship etc.

They had four years to band together and find allies, and they weren't exactly isolated in the sense that they had no tech and were living in huts. I'm not sure where you're getting "better tech" from. The vast majority of their ships are apparently very small light cruisers, and they couldn't find a way into Requiem until the Chief showed up.

Rockyrock

The best was Proxy chat. Killing someone when they were talking/yelling and having their voice cut off abruptly.

miss little stuff like that

I enjoyed Reach's firefight character voices. I remember playing with 2 other mates and them just dying over and over. I had the Chief on and didn't die once...one mate quit out of frustration and the other kept dying with me going wave after wave to get him back in. Basically I said nothing down the mic and let the Chief say it all for me until I finished the last wave for the win. So happy that mate sat through the whole thing.
Scratch one Covenant

Great feature and I bought all those voices first instead of armour bits.

Please say proximity chat is in for Halo 2 or H2A. It was THE shit.

Top Bottom