• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HaloGAF |OT: Anniversary| So fades the great harvest of our betrayal.

AlStrong

saw this posted on r/halo, thought it looked pretty awesome.

WrDsSsr.jpg

Kinda reminds me of the Mass Effect 2 Praetorians.

Praetorian_Combat.png

TTUVAPOR

Banned
It's very sad for the console FPS market if you think about that it takes a game developer re-booting an old game that's 10 years old and completely craps on most if not all of the current FPS games available on console.

314 indudtry ༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ Give Halo 3 ༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
      __
  _/314\_
༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ3                    d༼  ◕O◕ d  ༽ 

I think you could probably place a teleporter to phase through below Zenith map like you could on forge island. Giving extra space to forge inside it.

Madness

I'm pretty sure the water stuff on Sanctuary will annoy me after the first match. I mean it completely kills sightlines.

Not sure how I feel about weapon sets either. Also, maybe I'm out of it, but have those two red damage indicators always been like that, even in previous games? Someone shoots at you and it just follows who shot you, this coupled with grenade indicators just gives too much awareness altogether, ruin some element of surprise no?

Sibylus

Banned
I'm pretty sure the water stuff on Sanctuary will annoy me after the first match. I mean it completely kills sightlines.

Not sure how I feel about weapon sets either. Also, maybe I'm out of it, but have those two red damage indicators always been like that, even in previous games? Someone shoots at you and it just follows who shot you, this coupled with grenade indicators just gives too much awareness altogether, ruin some element of surprise no?
Need a medal for killing someone through the water curtains. Call it Wetwork, Watersports, something!

Ampoc

Neo Member
This just hit my mind that I wonder how the brute shot is going to look in both H2A campaign + multi-player. Hmph.

That's... Kinda the point? Use them to break sightlines, and they have a cooldown phase to prevent spamming them. Same as Ascension's interactive map feature.

Its been shown when you jump off the map, their is a 10 second barrier, so it wouldn't be possible.
than that means it's still possible

edit: noticed the slight change to the weapons indicator from the downwards triangle to the circle icons notifying an on map weapon being present or not present.

Madness

That's... Kinda the point? Use them to break sightlines, and they have a cooldown phase to prevent spamming them. Same as Ascension's interactive map feature.

Uh, that's kind of my point, saying I don't like that and that it would start to annoy me? Like you're basically invalidating 1/3rd or more of the map sightlines every few minutes.

All the years playing that map, I never once thought, man, I'd love a button I could hit and basically blind everyone in that side of the base. I get they want to have this dynamic (levolution) type aspect to the maps, but I'm not sure I'll like it especially as time goes on

Monocle

saw this posted on r/halo, thought it looked pretty awesome.

WrDsSsr.jpg
That's the coolest Primordial design I've seen so far.

BTW, has anyone figured out how the Forerunner homeworld from Greg Bear's Cryptum is supposed to look? I wish 343 would release some official illustrations because the description in the book is confusing. Something about a planet in parallel horizontal slices that are fanned out in a semicircle. I mean, wat? Am I supposed to picture a spiral staircase-like structure or something?

Frankie pls cut up an orange and show us.

Mix

The redone maps look really nice, but it's gonna be a jolt switching to other maps that didn't get the same treatment.

whatdayou mean? It'll be a jolt switching from game to game regardless. you don't get to use the revamped engine on the original untouched Halo 2 maps.

Omni

I should probably buy a full HD tv before the collection comes out. Current one in my bedroom only does 720p... and it's far too much hassle carrying everything out into the living room to the good one

Hmmm.

TCKaos

I must be the only one to like the godzilla jackals.

I like them, but they should have been a new Jackal variant (like the Skirmisher). Imagine having standard Jackal infantry mixed with fast moving Skirmishers with a sprinkling of armored Storm Jackals that form a phalanx and fucking bum rush you so that they can shank you with plasma knives. That shit would be horrifying.

They'd be like Halo 2 Brutes, but their Jackal nature would make them easier to kill due to their lower health.

Mix

I should probably buy a full HD tv before the collection comes out. Current one in my bedroom only does 720p... and it's far too much hassle carrying everything out into the living room to the good one

Hmmm.

dude, pawn shop no joke. I got a Sony Bravia 40" tv that does 1080 for like 250 about 6 months ago

Did they show any gamestypes besides slayer for H2A at gamescon? I wonder if they're adding assault back in? I have special developer favours to give out if assault and one flag are brought back :)
I've got nothing

Surely maps like Ascension being remade = 1 flag at the least.

So after finally catching up on all the H2A videos, I noticed that "shotgun kill" medal had been added I don't remember it been in 4 (although please correct me if I'm wrong). A lot of people were hoping, myself included, that the amount of medals would be toned down, particularly the unnecessary weapon specific medals (fuel rod cannon kill, rockets kill).

Besides that and a few other small things like grenade indicators on the HUD, H2A MP is looking pretty good.

-Ryn

Banned
So after finally catching up on all the H2A videos, I noticed that "shotgun kill" medal had been added I don't remember it been in 4 (although please correct me if I'm wrong). A lot of people were hoping, myself included, that the amount of medals would be toned down, particularly the unnecessary weapon specific medals (fuel rod cannon kill, rockets kill).

Besides that and a few other small things like grenade indicators on the HUD, H2A MP is looking pretty good.
There was a Shotgun spree medal (Reach took it even further) but that's it.

Individual medals for a kill with a weapon are just lame though. I miss when a medal represented skill or something cool. I don't need a medal telling me I got a kill with x weapon. I know I got the kill. I mean stuff like the sniper headshot medal made sense but how does getting a kill with a short range power weapon merit an award?

That this is the only thing I'm unhappy with so far though is a good sign. Carry on 343.

Seriously though please make medals fun again

TCKaos

Did they show any gamestypes besides slayer for H2A at gamescon? I wonder if they're adding assault back in? I have special developer favours to give out if assault and one flag are brought back :)
I've got nothing

Surely maps like Ascension being remade = 1 flag at the least.

Well, Abandon exists. In Halo 4, even.

I don't expect anything anymore.

willow ve

Individual medals for a kill with a weapon are just lame though. I miss when a medal represented skill or something cool. I don't need a medal telling me I got a kill with x weapon. I know I got the kill. I mean stuff like the sniper headshot medal made sense but how does getting a kill with a short range power weapon merit an award?

That this is the only thing I'm unhappy with so far though is a good sign. Carry on 343.

Seriously though please make medals fun again

At least add back the Perfection medal.

-Ryn

Banned
It's weird that one of the most challenging medals was tossed (amongst others) only for a bunch of generic "feel good" medals to take its place. Though technically Perfection is still in the game, there just isn't a medal for it. I think.

The comeback kill medal almost feels like the game is making fun of you. Maybe it'd work better if you got it when you get a spree after dying 3 times as opposed to just 1 kill.

Stuff like road trip is fun though.

Splatter spree and it's higher forms need to return. Bring back the hammer/sword/ect sprees as well.
Yes. They were fun to get. The names were great too.
Wasn't there also a spree list for sticky grenades?

Nebula

It's weird that one of the most challenging medals was tossed (amongst others) only for a bunch of generic "feel good" medals to take its place. Though technically Perfection is still in the game, there just isn't a medal for it. I think.

The comeback kill medal almost feels like the game is making fun of you. Maybe it'd work better if you got it when you get a spree after dying 3 times as opposed to just 1 kill.

Stuff like road trip is fun though.

Yes. They were fun to get. The names were great too.
Wasn't there also a spree list for sticky grenades?

I believe there was in Reach. Feel good medals need to die in a hole. Medals are meant to be gained through effort and achievement not "OH MY GOD YOU KILLED A SPRINTING GUY WITH A HEADSHOT YOU'RE SO FUCKING TALENTED WOOOOO!"

That I can accept, I just don't want to get a medal for stuff like a individual rocket kill or grenade kill.

Splatter spree and it's higher forms need to return. Bring back the hammer/sword/ect sprees as well.
Agree with both.

Medals should be given for acts of skillful gameplay, they feel much more rewarding. Instead we get medals for things like killing a guy whilst he reloads.

-Ryn

Banned
I believe there was in Reach. Feel good medals need to die in a hole. Medals are meant to be gained through effort and achievement not "OH MY GOD YOU KILLED A SPRINTING GUY WITH A HEADSHOT YOU'RE SO FUCKING TALENTED WOOOOO!"
That I can accept, I just don't want to get a medal for stuff like a individual rocket kill or grenade kill.

Agree with both.

Medals should be given for acts of skillful gameplay, they feel much more rewarding. Instead we get medals for things like killing a guy whilst he reloads.
It's a really misguided attempt at making players (especially new ones) feel like they are doing well.

That is entirely missing the point though.
The appeal of medals is in the effort it takes to get them. Even medals like Revenge at least have some satisfaction to them. Medals like Distraction are entirely dependent on someone else making a kill for you (which is bad design) whereas Savior or Showstopper are an actual acknowledgment of you saving someone which is great (or at least I think so). I don't know though. There's a balance to be had but there really isn't much reason for stuff like a medal for headshotting someone sprinting. Might as well give me a medal for every time a Spartan farts when they die.

It'll be the new Linktacular.

Top Bottom