• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HaloGAF |OT: Anniversary| So fades the great harvest of our betrayal.

Havok

I got giddy when I saw that.

So aside from the fact it's not OG Halo, what is the issue with hitmarkers? I don't necessarily hate them, but I'm curious as to the stigma.
There are more elegant ways to display to the player that they're dealing damage. If you look at Reach specifically, it never needed HUD-based damage feedback like that because of the really spectacular way they designed the shield flare - as players take more damage their shield gets brighter and becomes greater in volume, increasing the bubbling effect proportionally to their shield level (this worked in the same manner, only backwards [bright to dim], when the shield was recharging, making it an incredibly intuitive analog system with very easy-to-understand rules). You could tell whether someone was 3-shot or 2-shot just by looking at the brightness of their player model. Going away from that and to a more blunt method of conveying that information was a real disappointment. It was almost a requirement in Halo 4 though, as the shield feedback was a big step back, partially because of its very washed-out look that made contrasting players and their shield from the environment more difficult than it had been previously. Looking at H2A, it doesn't seem to suffer from that contrast issue, so the hit markers just seem unnecessary.

It's something I'm against on a sort of academic level, because even though it's not actively damaging or anything (though I think it absolutely makes players lazier, specifically when applied to grenade impacts), there are much better ways to get that information across.

blamite

In a perfect world, Halo wouldn't have hitmarkers, but honestly their inclusion is such a minor thing that it honestly would not bother me at all if they stayed. Grenade indicators are slightly worse, but again they're in no way deal-breaking. They're both at the very, very bottom of my priority list for what needs to be done for a good multiplayer experience.

Fracas

#fuckonami
There are more elegant ways to display to the player that they're dealing damage. If you look at Reach specifically, it never needed HUD-based damage feedback like that because of the really spectacular way they designed the shield flare - as players take more damage their shield gets brighter and becomes greater in volume, increasing the bubbling effect proportionally to their shield level (this worked in the same manner, only backwards [bright to dim], when the shield was recharging, making it an incredibly intuitive analog system with very easy-to-understand rules). You could tell whether someone was 3-shot or 2-shot just by looking at the brightness of their player model. Going away from that and to a more blunt method of conveying that information was a real disappointment. It was almost a requirement in Halo 4 though, as the shield feedback was a big step back, partially because of its very washed-out look that made contrasting players and their shield from the environment more difficult than it had been previously. Looking at H2A, it doesn't seem to suffer from that contrast issue, so the hit markers just seem unnecessary.

It's something I'm against on a sort of academic level, because even though it's not actively damaging or anything (though I think it absolutely makes players lazier, specifically when applied to grenade impacts), there are much better ways to get that information across.

Excellent post. Reach's audio and visual cues were so good you just didn't need hitmarkers or grenade indicators.

I hated reticle bloom, but 5-shotting someone with the DMR felt so good. That *pop* of the shield... just perfect.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Hitmarkers take visual / audio feedback (shield flare effect / shield popping sound) and skill (predicting whether or not a grenade you throw will hit the enemy) and dumbs them down. They're an easy, cheap solution when much better solutions can already be found in past games in the series.

I hated reticle bloom, but 5-shotting someone with the DMR felt so good. That *pop* of the shield... just perfect.
Yup, it was so good. Going back and playing Halo 3 felt really disorienting after getting so used to Reach's audio / visual cues.

For anyone watching this stream, look at what radar does to Halo. Destroys the pace of a game and has a negative impact on player behaviors, at least IMO. People staring into 5% of their screen while they inch around is lame.
Seriously. I was thinking the same thing during the entire stream.

I find with hit markers , grenade indicators and your whole HUD turning into a red honeycomb screen when taking damaging that the screen just becomes to busy.
4 was a step further because writing would appear mid screen when getting kills.

I like simplicity on the HUD.

Exactly, Reach did a good job of conveying what was going on without lighting up your HUD with to much info , would be nice to return to that.

I started out with Halo PC so I don't mind hitmarkers. Works better than the "BLOP BLOP BLOP BLOP" audio cue they used for hits in that.

I also don't really mind getting a confirmation that I've scored a kill considering knowing whether or not someone ended up dead is pretty important. Bungie half-did it in campaign / PvE modes in earlier titles anyways thanks to player scoring.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
I started out with Halo PC so I don't mind hitmarkers. Works better than the "BLOP BLOP BLOP BLOP" audio cue they used for hits in that.

I also don't really mind getting a confirmation that I've scored a kill considering knowing whether or not someone ended up dead is pretty important. Bungie half-did it in campaign / PvE modes in earlier titles anyways thanks to player scoring.
Kill confirmations have always been in Halo MP, just not in the middle of the screen.

daedalius

Grenade markers seem a bit excessive, but I do like knowing I've landed a hit on my target.

Reach was fine, but I like hitmarkers better.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
nanite bees
W7PgXR9.gif

Edit : Oh wait, nanite is an actual word. I thought it was more of your weird ass fan fiction.

Vooduu

Does NECA have a tendency to delay figures? Been waiting for the Master Chief 18" and the lack of substantial info is killing me.

Trey

Game looks amazing aside from Ascension, but that map is obviously unfinished.

So the game looks amazing. Really, really great job, 343.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
I really don't see the point of DLC for TMCC. I say no.
H2A MP looks really cool and I want to play it on as many maps as possible, but yeah... The MCC will already have 100+ maps. I don't think the package really needs DLC.

-Ryn

Banned
Who is actually remaking the maps?

I know they've got Max (original Halo 2 multiplayer designer) overseeing it but what studio is making it? As long as 343 doesn't need to take attention away from work on 5 I think it'd be great to have more maps.

Your other post was wording awkwardly. I thought you meant getting a death spree of 3.
lol Nope.
Sorry for the confusion.

Who is actually remaking the maps?

I know they've got Max (original Halo 2 multiplayer designer) overseeing it but what studio is making it? As long as 343 doesn't need to take attention away from work on 5 I think it'd be great to have more maps.

lol Nope.
Sorry for the confusion.

Where did you hear about max? And was he recently hired or always there?

So damn pumped to dong on kids playing H2A.

I really want a Gemini Anniversary map.
The vista in the docking area outside cannot be ignored for that HD touch to it.

Top Bottom